Author Topic: Leather sofas and possible scratching  (Read 3339 times)

Offline Leanne

• Super Cat
  • Milo & Jess
  • Slave to: Jess & Milo
Re: Leather sofas and possible scratching
« Reply #19 on: February 19, 2007, 14:34:36 PM »
We've been using no scratch but I don't think we've been using it enough, so this morning I was armed with the no scratch and Hubby had the Cat nip and we went in opposite directions  :evillaugh: wonder what we'll go home to tonight????

ccmacey

« Reply #18 on: February 19, 2007, 13:12:21 PM »
Have you tried wiping some natural pet repellent on it? This worked for me, you can buy some at the pet shop.

Online Yvonne

• Super Cat
  • Cleo
  • Slave to: Trevor, Clare, Spotty, Homer, Parrot, Cody, strays, Ginger Snaps and Jacob Black.
« Reply #17 on: February 19, 2007, 12:28:47 PM »
Cannot say much here except sorry about your sofa

:brick:    :scratch:
The Purrs 2011 Cat Show!
Could your cat be a winner? 
http://www.purrsinourhearts.co.uk/index.php/topic,37101.0.html

Offline Leanne

• Super Cat
  • Milo & Jess
« Reply #16 on: February 19, 2007, 09:43:35 AM »
Saturday morning we got up and found half a dozen little puncture holes on the arm chair!!!!!!!!!! Husband was livid I was quite calm because I guess it had to happen at some point!

I think he did it because when I got up at 6am to go to the loo I wouldn't feed him that is usually when he gets fed during the week, we heard him scratching shortly after that.

So Jess was in the dog house so to speak and didn't get any treats over the weekend  :'(

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #15 on: February 04, 2007, 23:58:45 PM »
Yes you are probably right, I saw Ducha slip and then hook a claw in and tried to grab and I rushed to help but not quick enough except to see him ski backwards down the sofa arm  8)

Offline Leanne

• Super Cat
  • Milo & Jess
« Reply #14 on: February 04, 2007, 18:18:51 PM »
Well we've had the sofas 24 hours and.......................we have a little scratch and puncture hole!!

But in the little mans defence we heard a bang this morning when we were in bed and we think the damage was caused then when he tried to jump from the coffee table onto the armchair and slipped down the side.

Oh well still love him anyway  :Luv:

Offline Rosiecat

• Adult Cat
« Reply #13 on: February 04, 2007, 00:51:06 AM »
I know - awful isn't it!!!!   :sick:

Sarah

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #12 on: February 04, 2007, 00:27:10 AM »
Where Rosie wipes her whiskers ......... :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Offline Rosiecat

• Adult Cat
« Reply #11 on: February 03, 2007, 23:09:13 PM »
I have two leather sofas (6 months old) and they look very much the worse for wear.  The cats have never deliberately gone to scratch them but when they are playing and chasing and launching themselves off them.......it is inevitable.

Having said that, the scratches do detract nicely from the cat food stain on the wallpaper where Rosie wipes her whiskers....I am usually quite house proud but love my cats more  :Luv:

Sarah

Offline Littlebobo

• Hero Cat
  • Yumi, Moggchops, Mister and Chalky !!!
« Reply #10 on: February 03, 2007, 22:58:37 PM »
We have a leather sofa and it is WRECKED !!..

After many attempts to get them not to ..putting covers over it etc we have failed miserably and have given into the fact that we will never by another leather sofa again lol
Fuss me Fuss me ..Come on I have things to do like Eating and sleeping !

Offline suzi

• Adult Cat
« Reply #9 on: February 03, 2007, 16:08:50 PM »
Our cat never scatches our leather sofa, but does scratch our leather dining room chairs! He has a scratch post that he uses as well.

I read sumwhere that you can put double-sided sticky tape on areas you dont want them scratching and it will stop them! Dont know if it will work but i'm definatly gonna try it before my chairs are completly runied!

Good luck with your new sofa's!

Offline fluffybunny

• Hero Cat
  • Slave to: Geoffrey and Milly
« Reply #8 on: February 01, 2007, 18:22:04 PM »
My leather sofas have puncture holes, Sooty struggles with the huge leap onto the sofa these days, so sticks his claws in to give him some grip to hoik himself up.  I haven't the heart to clip his claws, if they're blunt, he can't get on the sofa at all! 

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2007, 18:20:36 PM »
My leqather sofas have been damaged by accidental claws and Ducha slipping and trying to dig claws in to stop from falling and then his weight................kight as a feather.............pulled him down grrrrrrrrrrr.

Misa keeps jumping up on the back of the other one to chase moths or something, he gets so excited that he just rushes everywhere and zoomsssss along top of sofa grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

ccmacey

« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2007, 17:45:07 PM »
Mmm yes I will say it does bring a tear to your eye when you see your cat using your new leather sofa as a scratchpost! They don't tent to do it now but within the first few months I got mine they were trying to do it all the time, Which resulted in me yelling their names very loudly and they would scarper. I bought some natural pet repelant, sprayed it onto a cloth then wiped it on the sofa where they were scratching the most. I also bought some catnip spray and sprayed that onto their scratch posts. They don't scratch the sofa now and they use both their scratch posts, but one thing you will never be able to stop is when they are having a scatty moment with claws out all over the sofa. ARGH.
I think throws make it worse as my cats like to play under them so more scratching.

Offline Michelle (furbabystar)

• Royal Cat
  • My Baby - Issey
« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2007, 15:13:40 PM »
I would make sure you have a couple of scratch posts for her to use and as Kittybabe says gently tell her no and remove her if she does scratch at it.

Good luck

Offline Leanne

• Super Cat
  • Milo & Jess
« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2007, 14:58:40 PM »
The corner of my 2 seeter leather sofa look like this
:scratch:

They have gone through the leather and the foam right down to the wood !!

:Crazy: eeeeekkkkkkk very scared now!!!! Hubby won't be best pleased if that happens

Offline Michelle (furbabystar)

• Royal Cat
  • My Baby - Issey
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2007, 13:58:41 PM »
The corner of my 2 seeter leather sofa look like this
:scratch:

They have gone through the leather and the foam right down to the wood !!

Offline Kittybabe (Ruth)

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Lexy - Queen of all Kittydom
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2007, 12:16:16 PM »
Lexy does the same, but all i do is gently tap her paw or lift her paw so she doesn't get her claws in.  Of course I clip her claws so any damage would be very minimal. Leather sofas in the house have not a scratch on them (well if you don't count the little itty bitty one when madam caught a fright once).
 :rofl:

Offline Leanne

• Super Cat
  • Milo & Jess
Leather sofas and possible scratching
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2007, 12:08:36 PM »
We're having our new sofas delivered on saturday (very excited) but a little worried that Jess and his claws might take a liking to them.

Currently we have fabric sofas and his not really scratched them but when he sits on us he tends to stretch out and put his paws on the arm and dig his claws into the arm of the sofa, his not done any real damage but we don't really want him to do this on the new sofas.

Other than covering them with throws and excouraging him to use his scratch posts (which we do any way) on what we can do???

Thanks

Link to CatChat