Author Topic: Colleague's kitten has dry FIP  (Read 3363 times)

Offline Desley (booktigger)

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Molly, my wonderful babe
  • Slave to: Lucy
Re: Colleague's kitten has dry FIP
« Reply #17 on: February 02, 2007, 11:11:26 AM »
Ela - the only reason I said that was if I knew nothing about FIP, i would be so incredibly worried about what you had posted, and the risk to a healthy cat if one was diagnosed with that, I think you should have picked a better bit of info to post - what I posted was what i read from a website last year.
Michelle, I forgot to reply to something you said the other day - I still think FIP is rare, but I just think due to cat forums we are hearing more about it - my neighbour lost a cat to it last year, and it was the first cat she had ever lost to FIP, she has owned cats for over 30 years, and also did rescue work for 10 of those years, so had a large amount of cats coming and going. I have only dealt with it once, in over 30 cats.
I am so pleased to hear that he is seemign a little better Christine, and hope that the Interferon has some effect, and if not, that they are strong enough to let him go.
Please spay your cat

Offline Michelle (furbabystar)

• Royal Cat
  • My Baby - Issey
« Reply #16 on: February 01, 2007, 19:26:47 PM »
The little one's appetite has returned - he is staying overnight at the vets on fluids and they will be trying interferon for a week initially.

Thats great news Christine xx

Offline Christine (Blip)

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Blip
« Reply #15 on: February 01, 2007, 19:19:24 PM »
The little one's appetite has returned - he is staying overnight at the vets on fluids and they will be trying interferon for a week initially.
I'm a member of the British Humanist Association, the national charity supporting and representing people who seek to live good lives without religious or superstitious beliefs http://www.humanism.org.uk/home

Offline Ela

• Royal Cat
« Reply #14 on: February 01, 2007, 17:57:16 PM »
ACtually, what Ela typed is an over simplication of things, and it isn't quite that simple.

I know, I just copied and pasted from a net site.  I have lots of info but most of it can easily be found on the net in more detail.
RULES ARE FOR THE OBEDIENCE OF FOOLS AND GUIDENCE OF WISE MEN.

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #13 on: February 01, 2007, 16:21:22 PM »
ACtually, what Ela typed is an over simplication of things, and it isn't quite that simple. FIP is a mutation of the corona virus - this is something that a large majority of cats will come into contact with during their lifetime and not have any problems with, and even if cats are in the same household as a cat with FIP, they are not guaranteed to get it. There are 4 ways that a cat will react to it and it all depends on their immune system - if they have a very good immune system, they will 'shrug it off', if they have a good immune system they will prob deal with it, but it may stay dormant in their system, and stress in later life could set it off again, a weak immune system will allow the virus to mutate slowly, causing dry FIP, and that is why they can live longer with that form, and a very weak immune system will allow it to mutate rapidly, causing wet FIP. You can also get both wet and dry in the same cat. Good litter tray hygiene is essential if a cat is suspected of it, and Dr Addie has done some tests on cat litters, and some have a lesser risk of it being passed on than others, the chart is on her site.
Please spay your cat

• Royal Cat
  • My Baby - Issey
« Reply #12 on: February 01, 2007, 15:17:16 PM »
It is actually a Virus.

It can take on 2 forms - Wet and Dry
Cats with the Wet form only last a few weeks where as the Dry form sometimes gives them a little longer.

There is no cure.

As Ela has pointed out it is picked up from Faeces, feeding bowls, bedding etc

Offline Ela

• Royal Cat
« Reply #11 on: February 01, 2007, 14:36:27 PM »
Taken from a site, far easier than typing:- The disease is caused by an immune complex formed by a coronavirus (or viral antigen), antibodies and complement.

The cat becomes infected by the virus:

By contact with the virus in cat faeces - litter trays
By contact with saliva from infected cats - mutual grooming, shared food bowls
By inhalation of the virus
Across the placenta
Cats that do not have antibodies to the virus do not develop the disease.
« Last Edit: February 01, 2007, 14:41:45 PM by Ela »

Offline carl (billy and baggys dad)

• Distinguished Cat
  • King Bilbo & Mr Baggins' dad and loyal servant
« Reply #10 on: February 01, 2007, 11:50:04 AM »
Excuse my ignorance, but what causes FIP?
From out of nowhere you came strong as stone
And now I'll never have to be alone
What it is I know
You have always been my safe home

• Royal Cat
  • My Baby - Issey
« Reply #9 on: February 01, 2007, 11:43:40 AM »
There was a time when FIP was quiet rare but its so wide spread now.

Offline sheryl

• Super Cat
  • Im a Crazy CatWoman
« Reply #8 on: January 31, 2007, 18:36:37 PM »
Life is so cruel sometimes, my friend at work has just found out that her 8 month old Bengal has also got Dry FIP - needless to say she is devastated.
The Purrs 2011 Cat Show!
Could your cat be a winner?  :wow:
http://www.purrsinourhearts.co.uk/index.php/topic,37101.0.html

Offline Christine (Blip)

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Blip
« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2007, 16:21:03 PM »
Thank you all for your replies.  I have told my colleague to ask her vet about interferon.

She is an intelligent and sensible woman and will do the right thing  :(  if / when it becomes necessary, I am certain - her partner is at home with the little one today and she is going to stay with him tomorrow.

I'll post up here with any news.

I'm a member of the British Humanist Association, the national charity supporting and representing people who seek to live good lives without religious or superstitious beliefs http://www.humanism.org.uk/home

Offline Amanda (mad4moggies)

• Adult Cat
  • RIP Spot 18/04/11 - Missed more than words can say
« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2007, 12:01:45 PM »
Here is the link i posted on another thread about using Interferon to treat FIP http://vetinterferon.nexenservices.com/reports.php?site=interferon&lang=eng

Some vets have tried it on cats that are very unwell and even then some have said it works very well and one comment even says the cat is now living a normal life.

Here is another very useful link about FIP http://www.dr-addie.com/treatment.htm
It says that if Interferon is to be used it must be asap after the start of the clinical signs.

Offline Ela

• Royal Cat
« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2007, 11:00:43 AM »
Sorry to hear about your colleagues cat,  if it is FIP and the cat is unwell then I expect she will make the decision that it time for her to give her little one the final act of kindness

• Royal Cat
  • My Baby - Issey
« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2007, 10:55:25 AM »
Oh Christine i am so sorry to hear this -
Yes you are right they is no cure but as Desley has said cats with Dry FIP tend to live a little longer than cats with the Wet form.

all your friend can do is keep him comfortable but as he is very unwell unfortunately the end is prob quiet soon.
hopefully you friend will be strong enough to let him go without him having to suffer too much

I so hate this virus - its so cruel.

Big {{hug)) to your friend and her little furbaby

Michelle xx

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2007, 10:33:21 AM »
The poor babe - Dry FIP actually has a better prognosis than wet, cats have lived up to a year with dry FIP, not sure I could personally give them that long, and if he is very unwell, then that might not be the case here. Amanda did post a link on the dental thread about success with interferon.
Please spay your cat

Offline Teresa Pawcats

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • www.pawsinncatrescue.co.uk
    • Paws Inn Website rehoming page
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2007, 10:19:01 AM »
Christine sadly you are right and to be honest once the little one is really ill the end is near.
Some vets have been trying interferon but I havent heard of any success.
Big  :hug: to your colleague

Offline Christine (Blip)

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Blip
Colleague's kitten has dry FIP
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2007, 10:09:27 AM »
A colleague has just discovered that her one year old cat is likely to have dry Feline Infectious Peritonitis.  The vet is 85% sure and they are awaiting the results of further tests. The little chap apparently is very unwell.

I fear I am right in thinking that nothing can be done if it is dry FIP, aren't I?

Link to CatChat