Author Topic: I WANT A CAT FOR MY FRIEND  (Read 3703 times)

Offline Em

• Distinguished Cat
  • Mollie dog, Charley, Sammy and Seth
    • my blog
Re: I WANT A CAT FOR MY FRIEND
« Reply #20 on: January 31, 2007, 14:11:16 PM »
i think it would have been on watchdog by now if it were true

It was, that's how come I know about it. Hasbro, to be fair, don't use real animal fur - partly because of the allergy issue. But as Ela said, the cute cats in baskets that look and feel like the real thing probably are. It's just that a lot of people simply don't believe that could be true, so they carry on buying them...
Ah, summer - the season for a daily mouse...

Offline Ela

• Royal Cat
« Reply #19 on: January 31, 2007, 11:02:47 AM »
I'm not sure how or why those things get here - to a nation of cat lovers! 

Because they are ordered by shop buyers, who may have no idea what they are made of,  also I expect many don't care as long as they help to make the shop a profit.
RULES ARE FOR THE OBEDIENCE OF FOOLS AND GUIDENCE OF WISE MEN.

Offline chimpzoo

• Adult Cat
    • last days
« Reply #18 on: January 31, 2007, 09:58:07 AM »
think it would have been on watchdog by now if it were true

There have Programs on TV and newspaper articles in the past  about the use of cat skin in making 'catty toys' (I am not actually talking about FURREAL FRIENDS) often they are cats in little wicker baskets.  I have seen them in this country often in seaside rubbish shops and in Europe they are in many shops even the better quality shops..

yep, i think i've seen them in charity shops i had no idea some of them might be the real thing. I know many nations eat different things or value other animals to us but I'm not sure how or why those things get here - to a nation of cat lovers!  :-[

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #17 on: January 31, 2007, 09:53:02 AM »
To test if its nylon or fur, burn some of it! Nylon will melt and fur will stink horribly

Offline Ela

• Royal Cat
« Reply #16 on: January 31, 2007, 08:59:27 AM »
think it would have been on watchdog by now if it were true

There have Programs on TV and newspaper articles in the past  about the use of cat skin in making 'catty toys' (I am not actually talking about FURREAL FRIENDS) often they are cats in little wicker baskets.  I have seen them in this country often in seaside rubbish shops and in Europe they are in many shops even the better quality shops..

Offline Canterbury_cats (Sharon)

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Super Cat
  • Leo(Bridge babe 4/10) & Bella my darling Siamese
    • http://www.canterbury.cats.org.uk
« Reply #15 on: January 31, 2007, 08:04:39 AM »
I had a call over the weekend from an elderly gentleman who was ringing as she friends cat was at the vets on the verge of being PTS and can she get another one  today pls, asap pls. I advised the man to get his friend to ring me direct and also told him that it would be nice to grieve for the old puss at the vets if indeed it was beyond hope. He went silent abit and said "well do you think so". Then took my number and hang up!!

What is it with people!!
Cannot save the world, but if everyone does something we can have a jolly good job trying too....

Canterbury & District Cats Protection
http://www.canterbury.cats.org.uk

Please use our VetUK link on the Home Page of our website.
We want your old used inkjets & mobile phones!

Offline Desley (booktigger)

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Molly, my wonderful babe
  • Slave to: Lucy
« Reply #14 on: January 31, 2007, 07:58:32 AM »
Some people, eh?
Please spay your cat

Offline chimpzoo

• Adult Cat
    • last days
« Reply #13 on: January 31, 2007, 00:03:24 AM »
NO!!! Em you're not serious are you!  :sick:

from the hasbro website...

Q. I heard a rumor that the fur on my FURREAL FRIENDS pet is real fur. Is this true?
That is absolutely false. Though we did study real cats in the development of the FURREAL FRIENDS Cat and Kitten in our quest to make our product a very realistic looking and acting toy pet, all of the materials are 100% synthetic. The synthetic hair on the FURREAL FRIENDS Cat and Kitten is made from acrylic with polyester backing. The whiskers are made from nylon.

i think it would have been on watchdog by now if it were true

Offline Kittybabe (Ruth)

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Lexy - Queen of all Kittydom
« Reply #12 on: January 30, 2007, 22:14:06 PM »
NO!!! Em you're not serious are you!  :sick:

Offline Ela

• Royal Cat
« Reply #11 on: January 30, 2007, 21:41:43 PM »
Hmmm... except that I believe a lot of these feel just like real cats because they're made in China/Korea et c from .... real cats...  

I agree they are horrible things we get loads given us to sell in our charity shop, all go in the bin.

Offline Em

• Distinguished Cat
    • my blog
« Reply #10 on: January 30, 2007, 21:41:23 PM »
Except I guess probably not the ones from Hasbro...OH's niece got one of these for Xmas, it really annoyed our dog...

Ela - well done for not shouting at the woman!! I guess she really hadn't got a clue....  :doh:

Offline Em

• Distinguished Cat
    • my blog
« Reply #9 on: January 30, 2007, 21:39:12 PM »
I totally agree Ela.  Maybe if the lady calls back you could recommend one of these for her friend:  http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/New-MISB-FurReal-Fur-Real-Friends-Interactive-Cat-WHITE_W0QQitemZ110084957848QQihZ001QQcategoryZ232QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Hmmm... except that I believe a lot of these feel just like real cats because they're made in China/Korea et c from .... real cats...  :sick: :sick:

Offline Ela

• Royal Cat
« Reply #8 on: January 30, 2007, 21:34:51 PM »
however something tells me a poor cat is going to land up in this womans house, well intentioned or not...

I agree it possibly will but it won't be one of ours, and sadly  all I can do protect those we have and know about.

Offline chimpzoo

• Adult Cat
    • last days
« Reply #7 on: January 30, 2007, 20:04:05 PM »
I totally agree Ela.  Maybe if the lady calls back you could recommend one of these for her friend:  http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/New-MISB-FurReal-Fur-Real-Friends-Interactive-Cat-WHITE_W0QQitemZ110084957848QQihZ001QQcategoryZ232QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

she'll proabably take it to the vet when the batteries go flat  :rofl:

Offline Kittybabe (Ruth)

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Lexy - Queen of all Kittydom
« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2007, 20:03:20 PM »
 :rofl: Sam...brilliant....

however something tells me a poor cat is going to land up in this womans house, well intentioned or not... :-[

Offline Sam (Fussy_Furball)

• Marketing/Lost&Found/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Foxy (RIP), Zephyr (RIP), Rosina (RIP) & Oliver
« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2007, 19:56:32 PM »
In ancient times cats were worshiped as gods; they have not forgotten this.

Offline Ela

• Royal Cat
« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2007, 19:08:19 PM »
Did you hang up and then bang your head on the nearest wall?! 

It just makes me sad that people don't think about the implications of owning a pet, and just because a person adores cats and is possibly very nice they need to be in a position to  ensure all aspects of care are available.

Offline Sam (Fussy_Furball)

• Marketing/Lost&Found/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Foxy (RIP), Zephyr (RIP), Rosina (RIP) & Oliver
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2007, 19:01:16 PM »
 :-: I suppose her heart was in the right place but it does make you wonder!
In ancient times cats were worshiped as gods; they have not forgotten this.

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2007, 17:10:44 PM »
Did you hang up and then bang your head on the nearest wall?!  :brick:

Offline Ela

• Royal Cat
I WANT A CAT FOR MY FRIEND
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2007, 16:36:17 PM »
An elderly lady has just phoned me to ask for a cat for her friends birthday. I advised her that we did not give cat to people to give to others, she said that’s OK you can ring the lady yourself, I asked for the lady to ring us as when we have done this in the past not once has the person said they wanted a cat so we always ask for us to be rung by the person wanting the cat.
I was then advised that the lady had double broken legs and had just come out of hospital after being in since last April, but the friend was having a cat flap fitted to the flat door on Friday and the lady would be heartbroken if she did not have a cat by Saturday. Alarm bells we going in my head already. I asked  what age does your friend want , Oh! I don’t know was the reply. (How on earth could she have chosen a cat if she had no idea what her friend wanted I ask myself) I then asked if the flat was on a main road, Oh! yes she said a very busy road but its quiet in the garden. So I advised that we would only home an indoor cat on a busy road.
I then asked if her friend was capable of changing litter trays et, she said yes she has one of those sticks that enables you to pick up things, (not much help then in changing a litter tray I would have thought and can you imagine if you picked out a dump and it got stuck.) Anyway then I was advised that the lady had some help each day and that person would sort out the tray. I advised her that we would need to ask that person ourselves to ensure she would be happy to see to the cats needs. I was assured that she would. I then said well we can send out someone to see your friend but we would need to see the helper as well, well that’s no good as she has a different helper every day.
To tell the truth I was worn out by now and cannot remember the end but I remember her saying that is alright you are just like the RSPCA they are not happy either.

Link to CatChat