Author Topic: Losing fur..  (Read 1830 times)

Offline Schmew

• Distinguished Cat
Re: Losing fur..
« Reply #9 on: February 04, 2007, 19:34:04 PM »
Please let us know how you get on at the vets Sarah. The patches with less hair are definitely more noticeable on my black puds head but in the same area on my ginger cat he has small scabs -  sounds a bit like your lads little scratches. I'll be interested to hear what your vets says...

Offline Rosella moggy

• Fundraising/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Popeye & Elsa
  • Slave to: Noni Baroni, Dinah, Ruby, Groucho, Bobby. Popeye & Elsa
« Reply #8 on: February 04, 2007, 13:23:52 PM »
As everyone else has said methinks this is perfectly normal. 

Am posting a pic of our Tom to prove the point. Although he is now 17, he has always had much less fur between his nose and eyes either side and yes it certainly shows up more with black cats.

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline Desley (booktigger)

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Molly, my wonderful babe
  • Slave to: Lucy
« Reply #7 on: February 04, 2007, 11:54:40 AM »
Looks normal to me too - it is odd how it is more noticeable on black fur though!!
Please spay your cat

Offline Sam (Fussy_Furball)

• Marketing/Lost&Found/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Foxy (RIP), Zephyr (RIP), Rosina (RIP) & Oliver
« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2007, 18:57:45 PM »
Looks normal to me as well.  I think because he has black fur it looks worse.
In ancient times cats were worshiped as gods; they have not forgotten this.

Offline Michelle (furbabystar)

• Royal Cat
  • My Baby - Issey
« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2007, 18:50:40 PM »
there is nothing to worry about - that is excatly how it should look !!

Offline Christine (Blip)

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Blip
« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2007, 17:13:06 PM »
Since Tom came to us, he has always had a kind of bald patch between his eyes and ears. When I say a bald patch, I don't mean extremely bald, just not as much hair really.

You're doing the right thing getting it checked out if you are worried.  I will say though that Blip has much thinner hair between her eyes and ears too and it's just the way she is. If his scarcity of hair seems to be more pronounced lately, it's probably just that Tom is growing?

Let us know...
« Last Edit: January 30, 2007, 18:24:38 PM by Christine (Blip) »
I'm a member of the British Humanist Association, the national charity supporting and representing people who seek to live good lives without religious or superstitious beliefs http://www.humanism.org.uk/home

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2007, 17:04:34 PM »
That is 100% normal!

Offline Sarah (seldom_use)

• Super Cat
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2007, 16:43:56 PM »
Ok this is Tom, because he has black fur, I think it seems a lot worse..

Can't forget one of Tilly lol

Sarah x

Offline Sarah (seldom_use)

• Super Cat
Losing fur..
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2007, 16:18:17 PM »
Hi everyone.

I'm getting a bit concerned. As some of you have probably read, I have two 5 month old adopted kittens, one male(Tom), one female(Tilly), both from the same litter.
Since Tom came to us, he has always had a kind of bald patch between his eyes and ears. When I say a bald patch, I don't mean extremely bald, just not as much hair really. Recently I have noticed that the patch seems to be getting worse, maybe in he last 4 days, I thought I was maybe being silly, but I've had a good look and it looks as though he has been possibly scratching, there are some small red scratches.
I phoned the vet and have an appointment on Monday (earliest I could manage,) I spoke with the vet and they said not to worry as it sounded like fleas or a hormonal change.

I have ruled out fleas as when we first got the kittens they were flea free and we also took them to out vet who had a good look as well. They are house cats, so cannot have gotten it from another cat. They were also treated for ear mites when early on as well, however the treatment was successful first time. At the moment I have bought ear drops to rule the ear mites out completely incase they were not gone from the first instance.

Does anyone have any idea or experience with this problem as I am getting quite worried about it.

Apart from the fur loss, Tom is an extremely happy, healthy little boy, he runs about mad playing with his sister, I never see him scratching or sniffing or crying or howling. He seems perfectly happy, has a great appetite, drinks a lot of water, always wanting to play or cuddle <3

Any advice would be much appreciated, I'll tr get a photo if his fur just now to let you all see.

Thankyou

Sarah x

Link to CatChat