Author Topic: New Cat  (Read 2592 times)

Offline Jennbear

• Adult Cat
  • If cats could talk - they would lie to you :)
Re: New Cat
« Reply #17 on: January 31, 2007, 11:34:28 AM »
Ela, hope Jeannie is ok!

I might get some spray aswell then and give it all a go.....mind the way I'm heading I'll have the whole estates cats calm!

Offline Ela

• Royal Cat
« Reply #16 on: January 31, 2007, 11:13:52 AM »
Thanks everyone for your

Although some people had had success with Feliway defusers I personally never have nor have any of our fosterer's, One of our Fosterer's was a tester for the company before the defuser came on the market, she too had no success. I have and so have the fosterers and numerous people who have adopted cats from us great success with the Feliway spray. Was going to write more but my Jeannie has just had a funny turn  and I need to take her to the vets.
« Last Edit: January 31, 2007, 12:47:50 PM by Ela »
RULES ARE FOR THE OBEDIENCE OF FOOLS AND GUIDENCE OF WISE MEN.

Offline Jennbear

• Adult Cat
« Reply #15 on: January 31, 2007, 08:58:14 AM »
Thanks everyone for your advice. I ordered one of the Feliway diffusers last night and have put some rescue remedy in their water bowls

Teddie came out last night at bedtime and cuddled up on the bed and he seemed abit happier this morning. Just have to see what happens next time Tallulah comes home!  :-: She's a little madam but very cool with it  8)

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #14 on: January 31, 2007, 00:03:54 AM »
Just give em time they will come round, a few halfheart bops arent a problem.

Sounds like Teddy has been through a lot recently so just give him space and time, I think he will be fine.

Hope Talluhah settyles down, she sounds a bit like Sasa who ghoes away when she gets upset but she comes creeping back when she thinks nobody is looking cos she likes her creature comforts  ;D

Offline Christine (Blip)

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Blip
« Reply #13 on: January 30, 2007, 20:11:54 PM »

Am I best leaving him until he feels confident to come out on his own terms?

I reckon it's always better to let the cat dictate the pace of your relationship :Luv: Personally, I'm cynical about Rescue Remedy but then again, I'm cynical in general: have you tried Feliway to calm things down a bit?
I'm a member of the British Humanist Association, the national charity supporting and representing people who seek to live good lives without religious or superstitious beliefs http://www.humanism.org.uk/home

Offline Jennbear

• Adult Cat
« Reply #12 on: January 30, 2007, 19:34:27 PM »
Thanks Milly and Sarah :)

Tallulah hasn't come home today but that's nothing unsual. Teddie is still hiding under the bed, managed to get him out to give him his ear drops (they were abit minging when we got him and had little mites...poor thing) then he ran back in. He also had part of his tail amputated on Friday. Think it's a combination of new surroundings and having to endure the ear drops twice a day which is making him hide. Am not forcing him to come out and am going up regularly to talk to him but he seems quite content to be under the bed and happy for me to stick my arm in and stroke him. Have popped some rescue remedy in water but I'm not sure that he's even been out for a drink and some food.

Am I best leaving him until he feels confident to come out on his own terms?

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #11 on: January 30, 2007, 17:08:58 PM »
Hi Jen, have a look at wizz's site:
http://wizz-catz.co.uk/

Offline Sarah (seldom_use)

• Super Cat
« Reply #10 on: January 30, 2007, 16:33:43 PM »
Hi Jen,

Hope Tallullah comes back to her Mummy soon.

Do you have any pics of your new little one? :)

Sarah x

Offline Jennbear

• Adult Cat
« Reply #9 on: January 30, 2007, 16:21:24 PM »
Off to buy some now, thanks so much Ela!

Offline Ela

• Royal Cat
« Reply #8 on: January 30, 2007, 15:05:18 PM »
is that the same stuff us humans use?

Yes

Offline Jennbear

• Adult Cat
« Reply #7 on: January 30, 2007, 15:02:38 PM »
I've just looked at the time on your posting! Bless you being up that late/early!

I will try the rescue remedy, is that the same stuff us humans use?

Hopefully Tallulah will come home soon so we can try again. Thankyou for coming back to me, I really appreciate it  :thanks:

Offline Ela

• Royal Cat
« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2007, 08:25:33 AM »
These things sometimes take time, as long as they are not actually fighting I am sure all will be resolved very quickly, I suggest you put some Rescue Remedy or something like that in their drinking water. I hear tales like yours where the resident cat spends more time outside, always it soon resolves itself. Please don't give up on the little one.
« Last Edit: January 30, 2007, 08:29:29 AM by Ela »

Offline Ela

• Royal Cat
« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2007, 08:23:41 AM »
Did you see what time I was up?

Offline Jennbear

• Adult Cat
« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2007, 08:08:43 AM »
Thanks Ela...it's Tallulah that's the runaway :)

Do you have any advice on Tallulah and Teddie getting on. There were a few bats at each other last night but it seems to be Teddie approaching Tallulah. Do I give it a week and see how they get on?

I've let her out this morning as didn't want her to think that she was being punished for doing what cats do....hope she comes home.

Offline Ela

• Royal Cat
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2007, 03:11:38 AM »
It does sound like Tabitha has 2 homes doesn't it? Although Cats Protection do not approve of collars sometimes it is necessary if you are to find out certain facts. Perhaps you could get a paper collar from your local Branch and put it on Tabatha for a few days with a message on, something like please don't feed me as I have a mum and dad who love me and your telephone. Then if Tabitha has another home someone is sure to call you. Although the paper collars look very flimsy they have proved a great success in the short time they have been available.

Offline Jennbear

• Adult Cat
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2007, 21:53:56 PM »
so far....Tallulah hasn't tried to make a dash for the door and is sat on the window sill while Teddie is asleep on the footstool. She's been growling and hissing when he goes near her but it didn't put him off, he proceeded to get onto the window next to her and meowed at her. She growled some more, he got abit closer then she stopped, he stopped and they sat for abit before he walked off and fell asleep??????

hrm  :-:

Offline Jennbear

• Adult Cat
New Cat
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2007, 20:25:11 PM »
Hello, it's been a while since I've been on, things have been abit hectic!

Tallulah has become quite an independent madam and goes out for days on end and then comes home, has her tea and goes to bed. Then she's gone again...never more than 4 days at a time though. I'm abit upset by it but have come to terms that that's just the way she is and as long as she safe that's all that matters. I think she may be getting fed somewhere else cos she always come home clean, dry and not that hungry.

We've recently got a new cat from a rescue centre and he and Tabitha seem to be responding well to each other. He's hiding under the bed alot but understand it's his safe place and am not too worried about that. Tallulah, having been gone since Thursday, has come home to meet the new cat and well has done nothing but hiss at him. Teddie has retreated upstairs and is still a little scared but doesn't seem too fazed that she's being a little unhappy with him. Tallulah was the same when Tabitha moved in but they've soon called a truce and are quite happy hanging out in the same house.

I know it can be like this the first time you introduce a new cat to the resident cat and am following all the good advice you've given to others but I'm worried that if I let Tallulah out tomorrow morning as normal, she won't come home at all. I may be worrying too early (which I'm good at) but really am feeling abit stuck. I have not ruled out that if things don't work out I will have to find a new home for Teddie and I know that I may not have a choice but would really like to see if things work out but don't want Tallulah to move out altogether. I know some of you may think I've made a mistake rescuing Teddie and maybe I have but any advice or reassurance would be greatly appreciated.

Sorry to have gone on..... :scared:

Link to CatChat