Author Topic: In pain or looking for a fuss?  (Read 9815 times)

Offline Desley (booktigger)

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Molly, my wonderful babe
  • Slave to: Lucy
Re: In pain or looking for a fuss?
« Reply #52 on: February 11, 2007, 11:29:02 AM »
There is definitely something left there, then, and if not checked out, this could (and prob will) happen for the rest of her life - cats dont have a menapause at a certain age like we do, they will come into heat until the end.
Please spay your cat

Offline Queen-Penguin

• Distinguished Cat
« Reply #51 on: February 10, 2007, 22:28:29 PM »
Hi

I haven't been online for a bit so sorry I haven't replied to messages posted sooner!

Guess what? She's back doing the clucking sounds again and driving me crazy!! It's even worse this time!! Didn'y get any sleep lastnight as it was meeeow meeeow meeeow every minute!  :Crazy:

Teresa, I will email you regarding the matter!!

Sarah (very tired and stressed out!) xxx
« Last Edit: February 10, 2007, 22:34:23 PM by Queen_Penguin »
For a man to truly understand rejection, he must first be ignored by a cat.

Dogs believe they are human. Cats believe they are God.

No amount of time can erase the memory of a good cat, and no amount of masking tape can ever totally remove his fur from your couch.

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #50 on: February 10, 2007, 19:00:23 PM »
Angie, yes there are side effects to the jab - not sure if the risk of pyo is lessened as it stops them coming into heat (it is mainly the hormones while they are in heat that causes the risk), but it doesn't stop the risk of mammary cancer - and if it is only a small piece of tissue, it wont stop the risk of that turning cancerous. I didn't say it in as many words in my last post, but I would recommend getting them to find out what is in there, as it will cause probs - and it also isn't nice on a cat to have to go through years of heats just cos she is indoor only, and I Really can't believe a vet would say that!! I actually would be tempted to get a second opinion.
Please spay your cat

Offline Team Svartalfheims

• Super Cat
  • Minxy Moo
    • Svartalfheim's Norwegian Forest Cats
« Reply #49 on: February 10, 2007, 13:43:35 PM »
What about putting her on the pill? never tried it myself but one of the cats I found and got home was a siamese and the owners told me she had hormone jabs to prevent her from becoming pregnant while they decided whether to breed.
Probably got side effects.. maybe someone on here could advise. At least if the calling stopped for a while the decision to operate might be easier (and you may get a bit of peace for a while)

There is also an injection. I have been advised never to give the injection to a breeding queen as it can stop them calling for a very long time and apparently some queens have never called again but in this case that might be perfect (and means you don't have to give her a pill all the time)!

However

With the pill or the injection there are risks of pyrometra etc so personally I would get the vet to operate and take a look and see what he finds and rmeove any ovarian tissue that may be left or spay her if in fact she hasn't been done.

In the meantime just buy some heavy duty earplugs to block out the loud incessent yowling lol  :rofl:
You can visit my cats at http://www.svartalfheim.co.uk 

Offline Ela

• Royal Cat
« Reply #48 on: February 10, 2007, 10:52:46 AM »
It might be worth speaking to them to see what they say.

Although their records may sat their was a spay it is possible that some ovary tissue was left behind as happens occasionally.

Also it is not unknown for a cat to have 2 uterus and it has been found out when a cat who definitely was spayed got pregnant.
RULES ARE FOR THE OBEDIENCE OF FOOLS AND GUIDENCE OF WISE MEN.

Offline Amanda (mad4moggies)

• Adult Cat
  • RIP Spot 18/04/11 - Missed more than words can say
« Reply #47 on: February 10, 2007, 10:07:15 AM »
This is just an idea but does the vet surgery that did the caesarian keep anaesthetic records? They should but i don`t know if they all do. Where i work when a person`s animal is coming in for an operation we go through the consent form with them and they keep a copy. On the back of our copy there is an anaesthetic sheet where we note down all the drugs the animal has had, information about the procedure and obviously everything to do with monitoring of the anaesthetic. We also write down the materials used to close the wound and any complications. If they do keep records like this then it may say on the form whether she was spayed at the time. Although these records are kept there might be things on them that don`t end up going onto the computer.

It might be worth speaking to them to see what they say.

Offline Angiew

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Honorary Cat
« Reply #46 on: February 10, 2007, 01:18:53 AM »
What about putting her on the pill? never tried it myself but one of the cats I found and got home was a siamese and the owners told me she had hormone jabs to prevent her from becoming pregnant while they decided whether to breed.
Probably got side effects.. maybe someone on here could advise. At least if the calling stopped for a while the decision to operate might be easier (and you may get a bit of peace for a while)

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #45 on: February 09, 2007, 22:49:13 PM »
One other small thing, do you have confidence in the vet you are with concerning this, if not try a different one and see what they say.

What area do you live, maybe someone on here lives near you and can recommend one.

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #44 on: February 09, 2007, 22:47:25 PM »
I too would go with the advice

Offline Christine (Blip)

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Blip
« Reply #43 on: February 09, 2007, 11:08:15 AM »
Any news or thoughts, Sarah? I would definitely take Teresa's and Desley's advice, if it were me...
I'm a member of the British Humanist Association, the national charity supporting and representing people who seek to live good lives without religious or superstitious beliefs http://www.humanism.org.uk/home

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #42 on: February 08, 2007, 11:58:06 AM »
I would "cut her open", its a teeny hole and isnt half as bad as those 3 words sound.
The 5 points from Teresa are more than enough reason to go ahead.

Offline Teresa Pawcats

• Royal Cat
  • www.pawsinncatrescue.co.uk
    • Paws Inn Website rehoming page
« Reply #41 on: February 08, 2007, 11:40:39 AM »
Sarah
Have had a chat with my vet Andy this am. re Menue
Andy advises opening her up as
1- It is remotely possible she is not spayed.
2- If it is just a piece of ovary Menue will be prone to abnormal cycles more so because she is an indoor cat , he says it has been known for cats to continually call.
3- Whilst there is ovarian tissue Menue runs a greater risk of mammary tumours.
4- The remaining bit of ovary could turn cancerous in later life.
5- The toilet issues you had early on with Menue could be due to the stress of her coming into call.

If you decide to go ahead with surgery, in Menues case it is best that it is done while she is actually calling as the piece of ovary will be swollen and easier to find.
 I know this is a very difficult decision for you to make, my opinion for what its worth - have the surgery done .
My offer to contribute to the cost still holds if you decide to go ahead,

Offline Ela

• Royal Cat
« Reply #40 on: February 08, 2007, 08:50:28 AM »
99.9% certain that during this, she was spayed although they cannot be certain as the vet records are incomplete 

Smacked legs for the vet although we all make mistakes sometimes. Don’t we?

As Desley says the caesarean scar will have been online (underneath the cat). where as to check that a full spay was completed that would be done from the side. Although some Australian vets  do normal spays online and some vets also do it for long haired cats.

The vet said that he didn’t really want to cut her open and so he suggested that if she was going to be an indoor cat and never go out then it would be alright to leave her as she is

What a thing for a vet to say when they should know the full implications of leaving ovary tissue, be a cat indoor or outdoor
« Last Edit: February 08, 2007, 09:01:23 AM by Ela »

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #39 on: February 08, 2007, 08:13:23 AM »
QP, the prob you have with not opening her up is that if there is the slightest amount of ovary left, it will cause her to come into heat on a regular basis, so will mean she has a risk of mammary cancer later in life, and poss that slight bit of ovary will turn cancerous later in life. Caesarian scars are different to spay scars - normally in a different place and a lot bigger.
Please spay your cat

Offline Queen-Penguin

• Distinguished Cat
« Reply #38 on: February 07, 2007, 21:11:23 PM »
I know  >:(

If they shave her, then they are just going to see the caesarian scar! I don't want to go through the sedation/opening up, just to find out that a millimeter of ovary is left.

No amount of time can erase the memory of a good cat, and no amount of masking tape can ever totally remove his fur from your couch.

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #37 on: February 07, 2007, 20:25:31 PM »
Oh dear, incompent or what grrrrrrrrrrrrr!

No wonder that  vet didnt want to give you the records and also why he wouldnt say whether she was spayed or not.

I dont know what the answer is, I am afraid.

Offline Queen-Penguin

• Distinguished Cat
« Reply #36 on: February 07, 2007, 19:57:57 PM »
Hi all

Spoke to the vet today and it gets even more complicated  :scared:

Two years ago, Menue had to have an emergency caesarian and they are 99.9% certain that during this, she was spayed although they cannot be certain as the vet records are incomplete  :censored: and the vet who performed the caesarian has since left! Typical! The vet said that even if a teenie weenie amount of ovary was still left then it would produce the hormones which makes her come on heat.

He gave me three options:

1) Give her ovary stimulating injections then do a blood test to check whether the ovaries are present (very expensive option apparently).
2) Cut her open to see if she has been properly spayed and if there has been something left, then remove it.
3) Do nothing.

The vet said that he didnt really want to cut her open and so he suggested that if she was going to be an indoor cat and never go out then it would be alright to leave her as she is. He said that if I found that i couldn't cope with her meewing and stuff then to bring her in and he would cut her open to have a look. I don't really want to have her cut open.

Sarah xxx

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #35 on: February 06, 2007, 16:41:02 PM »
Iv read that those blood tests are unreliable.
Your vet can just check for a scar and if theres not one, then with her symptoms it would be wise to put her under and have a dig about

Offline Teresa Pawcats

• Royal Cat
« Reply #34 on: February 05, 2007, 22:01:15 PM »
QP
Afraid the offer of help I made is for a spay only because we were both told incorrectly that Menue had been done.
It was pointed out that she would need vaccinations by her previous owner, it would also be wise to have her microchipped.

Offline Queen-Penguin

• Distinguished Cat
« Reply #33 on: February 05, 2007, 17:50:39 PM »
Oooh just spoken to the vet. He sounds well fit  :sneaky: anyway... Mustnt think like that as I will only be dissapointed and it's not very professional of me!!   ;)

He has said that he is waiting for Menue's history to be faxed or something.

He also said that a simple blood test can see what Menue's hormones levels to see whether she has been done. He mentioned about her vaccinations aswell and when I said I didn't really know so I might have to have these done aswell if she hasn't had them...  :shy:

Offline Queen-Penguin

• Distinguished Cat
« Reply #32 on: February 05, 2007, 14:10:40 PM »
Hi hi people!

Just spoken to a lovely receptionist at Ben Jones' Vet Surgery and now Menue is registered there! She (the receptionist) was extremely helpful and even said that once they had the information from Menue's old surgery, they would ring me up and let me know whether she has been spayed or not so  :P to the woman I spoke to at the old surgery!

Sarah xx

Offline Sam (Fussy_Furball)

• Marketing/Lost&Found/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Foxy (RIP), Zephyr (RIP), Rosina (RIP) & Oliver
« Reply #31 on: February 02, 2007, 18:32:45 PM »
However, my hamster Steven escaped lastngiht and all she did was sit and watch him frantically run about. Lets just hope I never get mice!!

This has to be preferable to pouncing on him and ..... eating him!!!!!
In ancient times cats were worshiped as gods; they have not forgotten this.

Offline Queen-Penguin

• Distinguished Cat
« Reply #30 on: February 02, 2007, 18:26:04 PM »
One other thing, as I understand it, the only way for a vet to know for certain if the cat is spayed is to open her up, are they expecting that you have to allow another vet to do this?

About three different people have told me I should get the hair clippers out and look for a scar... I was tempted but I am not that cruel!

Offline Queen-Penguin

• Distinguished Cat
« Reply #29 on: February 02, 2007, 18:23:52 PM »
Hi all

Haven't had time to ring the vets today. It has just been a nightmare in the wonderful world of me! So I will be ringing on Monday! Thankfully, Menue Darling has shut up clucking! However, my hamster Steven escaped lastngiht and all she did was sit and watch him frantically run about. Lets just hope I never get mice!!

Sarah xx

Offline Rosella moggy

• Fundraising/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Popeye & Elsa
  • Slave to: Noni Baroni, Dinah, Ruby, Groucho, Bobby. Popeye & Elsa
« Reply #28 on: February 02, 2007, 16:57:39 PM »
This can't possibly be right. Does anyone know if it's right that a vet can withhold medical history about an animal to its rightful owner? I'm so angry about this. Surely this kind of thing should be reported to....... Royal College of Vets or something? It really is disgraceful. 

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #27 on: February 01, 2007, 23:06:30 PM »
One other thing, as I understand it, the only way for a vet to know for certain if the cat is spayed is to open her up, are they expecting that you have to allow another vet to do this?

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #26 on: February 01, 2007, 23:04:56 PM »
That is completely crazy, so they are saying to you as owner of Menue , if you registered with them and took Menue to see them they would not use her medical history in order to treat her and that if she had a serious health problem they are gonna do what?

Use invasive procedures for example to find out what the problem is cos they wont tell you what they already know!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Offline Queen-Penguin

• Distinguished Cat
« Reply #25 on: February 01, 2007, 20:57:07 PM »
Quote from: furbabystar (Michelle)

Hang on just thought - why not register with that vet and then get the info  :rofl:

I had thought about that but I was told that even then I would have to contact Menue's old owner to ask if the new vet could disclose her history with me or not...  :doh:

Offline Michelle (furbabystar)

• Royal Cat
  • My Baby - Issey
« Reply #24 on: February 01, 2007, 19:31:36 PM »
Just rang Menue's previous Vet and they were unable to give me any details as to whether she has been done of not. I have to register with a new vet and ask them to ring the old vet to get her details.

They should have been able to tell you, its a simple question - has she been spayed!
When i was at the cattery i often had to ring vets to check on Vac's and neutering and never had a problem.
And even with  that pregnant cat that we saved on here a couple of weeks ago the vets gave me all the info i wanted.

Hang on just thought - why not register with that vet and then get the info  :rofl:

Offline Queen-Penguin

• Distinguished Cat
« Reply #23 on: February 01, 2007, 16:34:18 PM »
Just rang Menue's previous Vet and they were unable to give me any details as to whether she has been done of not. I have to register with a new vet and ask them to ring the old vet to get her details.

She is driving me slightly crazy and I am sleep deprived as the noise is near constant at night complete with howling at the door! The only time she shuts up is when she's asleep and eating! I still love her though!!

Offline Ela

• Royal Cat
« Reply #22 on: February 01, 2007, 11:16:20 AM »
contact your local CP - they will send you a voucher that will cover the cost

Not relevant in this case but just to let everyone know that CP have changed the rules re vouchers and all branches now receive a grant as mentioned last week and if the branch co-oordinater so wishes she could even give a voucher to a millionaire if it meant the cat being ‘done’. For our branch nothing has changed as I have always thought this  and also I have never wanted to see proof of benefits or insisted people send me a stamped address envelope, but as you know some people always stuck to the rules

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #21 on: January 31, 2007, 20:29:48 PM »
What a wonderful person you are T, I am glad this little one can be done so quickly, it is such a naughty trick.
Please spay your cat

Offline Déborah

• Adult Cat
« Reply #20 on: January 31, 2007, 17:14:11 PM »
Also, maybe block any hidey holes you might have in your house. When Mia got her first heat, she tried to get into everything, and ended up inside the bathroom wall! It took us two hours to get her out and I'm still traumatized about it!!

Offline Christine (Blip)

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Blip
« Reply #19 on: January 31, 2007, 15:08:35 PM »
as Menue would have been coming in to Paws Inn if you had not taken her on I will pay the spay cost. You just need to let me know so that I can phone in the payment.

You're a very special person Teresa, has anyone mentioned this before?  :)
I'm a member of the British Humanist Association, the national charity supporting and representing people who seek to live good lives without religious or superstitious beliefs http://www.humanism.org.uk/home

• Royal Cat
  • My Baby - Issey
« Reply #18 on: January 31, 2007, 11:07:20 AM »
QP
I have just spoken to a vet on the high Street which is very close to you, may even be walking distance (Ben Jones 01244 629999). If you want to register Menue there you could book her in to be spayed about Tuesday/Wednesday next week and as Menue would have been coming in to Paws Inn if you had not taken her on I will pay the spay cost. You just need to let me know so that I can phone in the payment.

Sorry Teresa, started replying from the bottom up so hadnt seen your message when i said about the CP !!

Thats a great offer for Menue. (Gosh we are like a little family on these boards, its great)

• Royal Cat
  • My Baby - Issey
« Reply #17 on: January 31, 2007, 10:56:35 AM »
I am seriously upset as I was told that she had been spayed and atm I cannot afford to get it done!

contact your local CP - they will send you a voucher that will cover the cost

Offline Teresa Pawcats

• Royal Cat
« Reply #16 on: January 31, 2007, 09:40:30 AM »
QP
I have just spoken to a vet on the high Street which is very close to you, may even be walking distance (Ben Jones 01244 629999). If you want to register Menue there you could book her in to be spayed about Tuesday/Wednesday next week and as Menue would have been coming in to Paws Inn if you had not taken her on I will pay the spay cost. You just need to let me know so that I can phone in the payment.

Offline Ela

• Royal Cat
« Reply #15 on: January 31, 2007, 09:09:17 AM »
I have a cat Boo (I was going to call her Heidi as she was always hiding but we already have a Heidi in care) here now who came into season  3 days days ago, it is a nightmare, although she is in a pen outside we can hear her in the house with the TV on. My neighbours will just love me. How people cannot realize that their cats are in season as is often the case I just do not know. 2 or 3 more days and all will be quiet again. I have booked her in for her 'op' in two weeks time. Hopefully she will not come into season again before then. As Desley says some cats go in and out of season every few weeks.

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #14 on: January 31, 2007, 08:01:45 AM »
Poor you - I can't remember how long seasons can last, but they can come into season every couple of weeks until they are either done or mated. It isnt a pleasant thing to deal with, I honestly dont know how people with unneutered females out of choice cope to be honest. I would start ringing round to find out how much it will cost you, and as Helen says, talk to the local CP in case you can get some help, the sooner the better for both of you.
Please spay your cat

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Save a life draw/Commercial Assistant/Moderating Staff
  • Royal Cat
« Reply #13 on: January 31, 2007, 01:00:01 AM »
Poor Menue, I don't know how long a 'season' normally last for but I hope it ends soon! Maybe you could approach your local Cats Protection to see if they would be able to help with a voucher towards the cost of the op? 

Link to CatChat