Author Topic: is she spraying?  (Read 2004 times)

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
Re: is she spraying?
« Reply #13 on: January 29, 2007, 23:11:14 PM »
Looking for Sasas tail and its agressive and defensive agressive grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr, cept with Misa and then its very happy accompanied by squeaks of friendship!

Offline Desley (booktigger)

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Molly, my wonderful babe
  • Slave to: Lucy
« Reply #12 on: January 29, 2007, 22:18:00 PM »
Cheers for the diagram Susanne, very interesting. Have to admit that the first cat I saw spraying was my neighbours female cat - they had to home one as she hated being around cats so much she sprayed constantly. They only homed her two streets away though, so she still comes to visit and will still spray in houses where other cats live - very frustrating!!
Please spay your cat

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #11 on: January 29, 2007, 19:12:11 PM »
I am sure you know the answer to that Ela  :rofl:

Just incase someone doesnt, they are usually spraying  :rofl: :rofl:

Offline Ela

• Royal Cat
« Reply #10 on: January 29, 2007, 18:15:44 PM »
Yeh the tail quivering thing just means she's pleased to see you!

What does it mean when you see a female doing it to a garden fence and no one else is in the garden?
« Last Edit: January 29, 2007, 20:16:34 PM by Ela »
RULES ARE FOR THE OBEDIENCE OF FOOLS AND GUIDENCE OF WISE MEN.

Online Susanne (urbantigers)

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • PA to Mosi & Kito
« Reply #9 on: January 29, 2007, 16:40:00 PM »
Yeh the tail quivering thing just means she's pleased to see you!  No need to stop her doing it.  Jaffa has always done it, especially when I come home from work and am greeting him.  I remember reading something in a cat magazine about this years ago and the behaviourist answering the question said it was due to pent up emotion and excitement and was most common in nervous cats. 

Offline JackSpratt

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #8 on: January 29, 2007, 16:14:28 PM »
Sometimes a cats tail quivers when they get excited or you stroke them. I have 2 here who twirl around at food time with a quivering rear end!

Yep, usually if the tail is curved at the top as well as quivering it's a sign of happiness/excitement rather than a signal a cat is going to spray.

Carrie, Jack,Toby and Parsley ~ Love and miss you all always.x

ccmacey

« Reply #7 on: January 29, 2007, 16:10:29 PM »
Mmm didn't know females could spray too! I have got 3 boys and I have to say they are all mummys boys, although my female is very loving too, don't think she would be as loving if there was another female in the house!

Offline Ela

• Royal Cat
« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2007, 15:45:46 PM »
I was talking to someone who wanted a cat, they said males were no good as they can spray, i informed them that females did it too and i got "oh no, is there an operation for it?"

Often when people apply for a cat they say they want a female as males spray, many are astounded when I say that we have just as many females who spray. Also many say they want a female as they are more loving again the donl't believe me when I say that some of the most affectionate cats I have ever homed are males.

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2007, 15:25:27 PM »
Sometimes a cats tail quivers when they get excited or you stroke them. I have 2 here who twirl around at food time with a quivering rear end!

I was talking to someone who wanted a cat, they said males were no good as they can spray, i informed them that females did it too and i got "oh no, is there an operation for it?"
Poor old boys always get the blame!

Offline Ela

• Royal Cat
« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2007, 14:05:41 PM »
i htought they didnt do it if they were neutered though?

Over the years I have had just as many females who actually do spray as males, and some of both sexes going through them motions but nothing coming

Offline kirstynurse

• Kitten
« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2007, 12:28:48 PM »
i htought they didnt do it if they were neutered though?

Offline Ela

• Royal Cat
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2007, 12:07:42 PM »
My Lucy used to do that, perhaps you could get some Feliway spray and just spray where your little one trys to.

Offline kirstynurse

• Kitten
is she spraying?
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2007, 11:29:24 AM »
i have had my cat now for four months and although she was neutered when we got her the last couple of weeks she seems to be trying to spray in the house.  she will stand against furniture kitchen cupboards etc and shake her tail with it straight up in the air and nothing comes out- i thought this was what they did when they were spraying but she has been neutered so i'm abit confused. 

she does seem to talk a bit more than ususal but it isnt the high pitched noise, what do you think it is all about and how do i go about stopping her?

cheers for your help guys

Link to CatChat