Author Topic: WHAT WE REALLY SHOULD NOT FEED A CAT  (Read 4376 times)

Offline Desley (booktigger)

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Molly, my wonderful babe
  • Slave to: Lucy
Re: WHAT WE REALLY SHOULD NOT FEED A CAT
« Reply #22 on: January 31, 2007, 08:06:39 AM »
For those of you who feed sandwich meats, do be careful with the ham, some of the sliced ham's have a very high salt content which aren't good for cats.
Please spay your cat

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #21 on: January 31, 2007, 00:17:19 AM »
Misa loves those dentapaws things, must get some more cos he went off them for a while  ;D

Offline Kittybabe (Ruth)

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Lexy - Queen of all Kittydom
« Reply #20 on: January 30, 2007, 22:15:59 PM »
Lexy gets a couple dentapaws from felix. They're supposed to help keep teeth clean....joke since Lexy barely chews them!

Offline Em

• Distinguished Cat
  • Mollie dog, Charley, Sammy and Seth
    • my blog
« Reply #19 on: January 30, 2007, 21:36:14 PM »
My cats have the occasional tiny piece of cheese as a treat (a crumb), every so often a tin of tuna in spring water between the 3 of them, sometimes a teaspoon of goat's milk each... they also all like a bit of Mollie's chewy strips or a dog treat, but I prefer to give them dentabix or similar...
Ah, summer - the season for a daily mouse...

Offline Ela

• Royal Cat
« Reply #18 on: January 30, 2007, 19:10:06 PM »
Nothing to do with cat food but yesterday I saw apple crumble for dogs in a tin
RULES ARE FOR THE OBEDIENCE OF FOOLS AND GUIDENCE OF WISE MEN.

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #17 on: January 30, 2007, 17:19:42 PM »
The following they have cooked or raw:
chicken
beef
lamb
fish
rabbit
pigeon
turkey

prepared foods:
pilchards in tomato sauce  :Luv:
natures menu treats
hi life chicken pate
sandwich meats

Offline Sarah (seldom_use)

• Super Cat
« Reply #16 on: January 30, 2007, 17:03:05 PM »
Thanks Ela that was realy helpful on what to avoid.

I was wondering what everyone gives their kittys as a treat, fish/prawns etc?
I'm not sure what to try and whats better for them etc?

Sarah x

Offline Ela

• Royal Cat
« Reply #15 on: January 29, 2007, 18:12:01 PM »
I agree Gill and of course vets often recommend chicken if a cats has a  bowel problem.

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #14 on: January 29, 2007, 17:49:58 PM »
I think chicken is fine but like with all things too much or not enough balance in diet is not good.

Offline Kittybabe (Ruth)

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Lexy - Queen of all Kittydom
« Reply #13 on: January 29, 2007, 16:54:37 PM »
I remember reading someone's post a while ago where they said don't give chicken meat...is that right? I give Lexy Gourmet (purina) solitaire chicken a couple times a week...no bones in taht but no meat...anyone have any ideas why someone would have said too much chicken is not good for them?

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #12 on: January 29, 2007, 15:21:18 PM »
I think its because its so rich, incidently my lot always puked the hilife pork variety  :sick:

You'll often find squitty dogs after they have had too many trotters or ears to chew!

Offline chimpzoo

• Adult Cat
    • last days
« Reply #11 on: January 29, 2007, 14:10:46 PM »
Hills L/D have just changed the recipe of the tinned food from Beef to Pork!!!!!! as swampmaxmum has found out http://www.chaptanservices.com/purrs/index.php?topic=1653.0

I'd wondered for years why i hadn't seen pork cat food, There are a few manufacturers producing it but it's most likely no risk of trichinosis due to their cooking process.
Under-cooked pork prepared at home or raw pork is the risk - for that reason i wouldn't give it to a cat or dog.

Offline Ela

• Royal Cat
« Reply #10 on: January 29, 2007, 14:03:45 PM »
What happened last week?

See LEAVING IT TILL TOMORROW CAN BE TOO LATE, in.General Chatting about non cat stuff. It has left me a little shell shocked.

Online Yvonne

• Super Cat
  • Cleo
  • Slave to: Trevor, Clare, Spotty, Homer, Parrot, Cody, strays, Ginger Snaps and Jacob Black.
« Reply #9 on: January 29, 2007, 13:46:03 PM »
You are quite right, to be honest my mind is still in shock after last weeks news and I cannot think too well at times.

What happened last week?
The Purrs 2011 Cat Show!
Could your cat be a winner? 
http://www.purrsinourhearts.co.uk/index.php/topic,37101.0.html

Offline Sam (Fussy_Furball)

• Marketing/Lost&Found/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Foxy (RIP), Zephyr (RIP), Rosina (RIP) & Oliver
« Reply #8 on: January 29, 2007, 12:35:49 PM »
Hills L/D have just changed the recipe of the tinned food from Beef to Pork!!!!!! as swampmaxmum has found out http://www.chaptanservices.com/purrs/index.php?topic=1653.0
In ancient times cats were worshiped as gods; they have not forgotten this.

Offline Ela

• Royal Cat
« Reply #7 on: January 29, 2007, 10:38:50 AM »
Whats bad about turkey skin? I not heard this one before!

Pass, I have no idea, the info is from somewhere again I cannot think, but we all know that much of the list is true so I have no reason to think it is not all true, even if there is one thing that I didn't think was unsafe I personally would not take the risk as I would air on the side of caution especially  as ther are many many things we know are purrfectly fine for our much loved pets.

Offline Susanne (urbantigers)

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • PA to Mosi & Kito
« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2007, 10:25:24 AM »
hi life do a pork food.  It's in the hi life meat selection - pork and game I think.

Offline Ela

• Royal Cat
« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2007, 10:11:30 AM »
I know some people give their cats pork,

A few years ago a pork cat food was bought out however within a very short tIme it was taken of the shelves again.

Although there is a brand again I just cannot think just now, it is one that you could get from health shops and one you don't hear of so much that had pork in it and was available for quite some time.
« Last Edit: January 29, 2007, 10:27:32 AM by Ela »

Offline Ela

• Royal Cat
« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2007, 10:08:10 AM »
You are quite right, to be honest my mind is still in shock after last weeks news and I cannot think too well at times.

Offline chimpzoo

• Adult Cat
    • last days
« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2007, 09:24:21 AM »
thank you, that's a very useful list. I know some people give their cats pork, but personally i'd prefer not to because of trichinae, which is very rare, i might be being over cautious, but that's another for my list of banned foods.

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2007, 09:22:30 AM »
cats MUST have cat food as it has thiamine in it

This should say Taurine.

; turkey skin
Whats bad about turkey skin? Iv not heard this one before!

Also, i would like to add that raw bones and fish are acceptable as long as they are fed as part of a balanced diet.

Offline Ela

• Royal Cat
WHAT WE REALLY SHOULD NOT FEED A CAT
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2007, 08:40:28 AM »
After seeing a post asking if bread is OK for cats I thought I would post the following although I appreciate many of you will know already but even if one person doesn't then it is worthwhile.:-
As people have become more health conscious, so have they been paying more attention to the health needs of the furry members of the family. To this end many animal lovers have become aware that the majority of commercial pet foods contain unhealthy ingredients and have shifted instead to sharing the refrigerator and cupboards. While natural, fresh food is far healthier than by-products and preservatives, keep in mind that the foods listed below are known to be toxic to cats and dogs because of the different ways animals metabolise them. Also cats MUST have cat food as it has taurine in it and without it cats it they can suffer brain damage and blindness.
Apple seeds: Can cause gastrointestinal irritation, poor co-ordination, difficulty breathing, shock, coma & death
Baby foods that contain onion powder: 
Bones fish: can splinter and cause obstruction or laceration of stomach or intestines
Canned Tuna for human consumption: If fed in large amounts, can cause malnutrition because it lacks the proper levels of vitamins and minerals; can possibly cause mercury poisoning.
Cat food (for dogs): Too high in protein and fat for a dog.
Dog Food (for cats): If fed repeatedly may result in malnutrition and heart diseases
Chicken Bones: Though not toxic, chicken bones can get stuck in the roof of the mouth, throat and intestines, and should be avoided, according to many veterinarians. Splinters of chicken bones can also become lodged internally.
Chocolate: Although many people are aware that chocolate is toxic to cats and dogs, it's something that is commonly left on a table or counter top. Dogs may tear into a box of chocolates when the opportunity presents itself. I know this can be  true when recently someone brought me a box of Thornton’s, I left them downstairs and a few mins later Badger (my dog) had torn the box open and was eating them, I was worried about Badger and also gutted at the loss of my precious cargo. Even a small amount of chocolate can.cause coma and death. In lesser quantities, it will cause gastrointestinal problems including diarrhoea. The degree of toxicity depends on the weight of the animal and the amount and type of chocolate consumed. Semi-sweet and bakers chocolate, for instance, contain more theobromine than regular chocolate, making them even more toxic to animals. Dogs love chocolate, so don't let taste be a test of what is healthy. Anything containing cocoa or chocolate should be avoided
Grapes & Raisins: Though it isn't clear to scientists just what makes grapes and raisins toxic to both cats and dogs, even a relatively small amount can damage the kidneys. For this reason it's unwise to feed these to your pet, even if small amounts are tolerated. Also avoid giving bits of cookie or other foods that contain raisins.
Garlic, Onions, and Powders: Whether fresh, cooked or powdered, garlic and/or onions can be found among the ingredients of many prepared meals, including baby food. Garlic and onions are toxic to cats and dogs because sulfoxides and disulfides found in them can damage red blood cells and lead to anaemia. Onions are more problematic than garlic, but both should be avoided. If preparing a meal for yourself that will contain garlic or onions, consider preparing a side portion without these ingredients for your animals.
Human vitamin/minerals supplements containing iron: Can damage the lining of the digestive system and be toxic to the other organs, including the liver and kidneys.
Macadamia Nuts: Macadamia nuts are soft, light-coloured nuts often used in cookie recipes. They are considered toxic to dogs because they tend to cause gastrointestinal upsets, lethargy, vomiting and muscle tremors or stiffness.
Mushrooms: Various species of mushrooms are toxic to dogs, and can cause shock and death. Effects will differ depending on the type ingested, but avoid feeding any type. Pluck "backyard mushrooms" that might sprout on the lawn, as these are known to be toxic to canines.
Raw eggs: if fed regularly: Decreases the absorption of biotin (a B vitamin) if fed regularly, which can lead to skin and coat problems.
Raw fish:  if fed regularly: Can cause a thiamine (a B vitamin) deficiency, leading to loss of appetite, seizures, and in severe cases death
Tomatoes and tomato plants: Tomatoes of all kinds are toxic to cats, as are parts of the tomato plant. Ingesting as little as a cherry tomato can cause severe gastrointestinal upset.
Xylitol: an artificial sweetener used in several brands of sugar-free candy and gum and in other products: In dogs, even a small amount can cause a sudden drop in blood sugar, which can lead to depression, lack of coordination, seizures, liver failure, and even death.
Yeast dough: Can expand in the stomach, possibly rupturing the stomach or intestineTreatments
Other foods to avoid include raw potatoes, especially those containing green spots; turkey skin; nutmeg; and anything with caffeine, including tea. Caffeine (and theobromine or theophylline) can affect the heart and nervous system Alcohol and hops should also be avoided as alcohol poisoning can lead to coma and death. Do not allow your pet to rummage through the trash, as mouldy food contains toxins that can cause serious illness.
Many cats have lost their life when given treatments for dogs, even worm treatments for dogs can kill a cat.
Since many of the signs of toxicity are similar, call your vet immediately if your pet appears distressed, lethargic or in pain. Bloomin stools or vomiting are also possible signs of toxic poisoning. Gastrointestinal problems can lead to gas build-up until the stomach becomes distended or bloated and hard to the touch. This is a painful condition that can cause the stomach to burst if not treated.

Sorry I did not realise how much I had posted.
« Last Edit: January 29, 2007, 10:07:19 AM by Ela »

Link to CatChat