Author Topic: ADvice on crying cat please  (Read 3740 times)

Offline Desley (booktigger)

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Molly, my wonderful babe
  • Slave to: Lucy
Re: ADvice on crying cat please
« Reply #30 on: February 06, 2007, 21:56:17 PM »
Fingers crossed someone will snap him up soon, he has tried to be friends with Tiger this eve, but Tiger batted him, and Molly has just growled at him. He cries in rooms where there are no cats though, which I do find odd.
Please spay your cat

Offline Debbie

• Senior Cat
  • Sam - missing since 29th August 2007 xx
« Reply #29 on: February 06, 2007, 20:29:35 PM »
I have just seen his pic on catchat....I love him  :Luv: :Luv:

Offline Littlebobo

• Hero Cat
  • Yumi, Moggchops, Mister and Chalky !!!
« Reply #28 on: February 06, 2007, 20:14:03 PM »
Oh Bless him Des sounds as though he is very confused ..When Mister got ill he cried constantly and he will have moments when he cries for hours on end :(

I know that he is best when the others are around him so perhaps a friend is the best thing for him ...Poor thing

Big hugs to you Des xx
Fuss me Fuss me ..Come on I have things to do like Eating and sleeping !

Offline Debbie

• Senior Cat
« Reply #27 on: February 06, 2007, 19:11:50 PM »
Oh bless, sounds like he needs company  :(

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #26 on: February 06, 2007, 07:35:26 AM »
Wouldn't have thought so, as he can be quite responsive. Tom no longer likes him, which is making things a bit harder as he does follow him a bit!!
Please spay your cat

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #25 on: February 06, 2007, 00:06:28 AM »
Just a daft thought Desley....................is he deaf?

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #24 on: February 05, 2007, 07:44:57 AM »
We had a very mixed last night, he seemed a bit better being let out, but a lot of his crying is odd, he will be facing an empty room, ignoring me and the cats!! And he was worse when he was in his own room last night, so maybe he is getting a bit lonely in there - but unless Tom goes, a new friend isnt an option.
Please spay your cat

Offline JackSpratt

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #23 on: February 04, 2007, 17:17:53 PM »
Yep, it is possible it's an "I'm here, please don't jump on my head!" call. :evillaugh:

Carrie, Jack,Toby and Parsley ~ Love and miss you all always.x

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #22 on: February 04, 2007, 10:37:09 AM »
Thanks for that Debbie - I hope it is the second one, as he doesn't constantly cry in his room, he does seem fairly settled, but if you do nip in and out, it will set him off, so he obviously does like human company. My cats aren't particularly keen on him unfortunately, and he did go to bite Tom's back last night, no idea what that was about, but Tom was just about tolerating him before he did that!! I have said he needs a home where there is someone at home a lot, as he is quite clingy and does want to be with you most of the time - I had someone round on Thurs, and he was either sat with her or laid against my legs.
I also had him to be weighed on Thurs, and my vet says he is a good enough weight to be homed now, and doesn't need any more on, even though I think he is still on the thin side. So, he is on the rehoming page, and fingers crossed it works - I have used the black and white pic though, as ht colour one doesnt show how big his eyes are.
« Last Edit: February 04, 2007, 12:41:02 PM by Desley (booktigger) »
Please spay your cat

Offline Debbie

• Senior Cat
« Reply #21 on: February 04, 2007, 00:05:56 AM »
I had experience of a crying cat last year.  It turned out he was lonely as I was out at work all day and he simply could not be reassured when I got home as I would then be out again the next day.  There were a number of additional issues which resulted in me having to rehome him sadly.

My new cat I have had for a couple of months and he is totally different.  However when I first let him out of the house he did cry constantly outside whilst wandering the garden.  I was told it was to let the other cats in the area know that he was not a threat being the new kitty on the block. Maybe that is what your foster cat is doing whe you let him out the room into the rest of the house?  My cat loves other cat company and regularly goes looking for his buddies when he goes out and chases them round my shed! 

I hope you get to the bottom of it because if it is the former reason I have mentioned, it was seriously driving me insane, the poor cat. :(

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #20 on: January 31, 2007, 20:42:15 PM »
Yeah - not had a good night with him tonight, he was a lot more vocal and a lot louder tonight, and my talking to him didn't help much, so I ended up putting him back in his room after 20 mins, fortunatley he is a lot quieter when you do have to put him back. He did run after Tom at one point though, so I do think he would appreciate a friend, but not 100% sure I have the time for that. Will have to have a chat with the rescue first.
Please spay your cat

Offline JackSpratt

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #19 on: January 31, 2007, 09:50:34 AM »
Ahhh, I think it's a case of baby steps with this one, Desley. :) Good luck. I think you will have to persevere to a degree with the annoying noise.(I truly know how difficult that is, one of my old girls is TERRIBLY vocal these days.)

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #18 on: January 31, 2007, 07:39:04 AM »
Persevered again last night, and we had gaps in the constant crying!! He seemed to be quite taken with Tom, so I do wonder if he would like a friend - I do have the next foster lined up, and she is good with other cats, so I am tempted to see if that will work - but will struggle for time if they dont like each other, so need to think about that a bit more. He was also quiet when I put him back in his room, which is a first after he has been out, and he didn't fuss as early for his brekkie either, so we might be getting somewhere.
Please spay your cat

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #17 on: January 29, 2007, 22:49:53 PM »
No I didnt mean you keeping him a cage, I meant before he became a rescue........maybe I have the wrong cat.  I have to read down LOL and dont have time just now, maybe later.

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #16 on: January 29, 2007, 22:07:37 PM »
Am really confused what cats you think I am keeping in a cage Gill, none have been in the cage since Shadow!! IF you read further up, you will find what background we have.
Please spay your cat

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #15 on: January 29, 2007, 22:03:27 PM »
Is he the one that was kept in a cage? If not what  is his background?

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #14 on: January 29, 2007, 21:28:46 PM »
Michelle - this isn't normally a prob with fosters, and they are normally so keen to be out of their room that they are happy, not wandering crying - I would love him to be out for a few hours each evening, but he literally does cry constantly, he starts the next cry as soon as he shuts his mouth!! The first time I let him out of his room, I was making phone calls, so was on the phone about an hour and he still hadn't stopped - he was quiet within 10 mins of being back in his room, so I didn't try again till this weekend as it seems cruel on his part. Incidentally, he has actually been in 2 different rooms, and he has been more vocal since being moved from teh bathroom to the cat room, it is like he isn't good with large spaces - I know he hasn't lived in a house since at least last summer, but we haven't had any litter tray issues (even when he was unneutered, he never sprayed), and he is really good with the scratch post, (even though it isn't high enough for him), so I think he has lived in one at some point - he did have a collar on when he first showed up, but she does live in an area where people dump a lot of dogs - in his room, he acts like a wonderful cat, although he is still quite vocal in there, but always lookign at me when he does it - when loose, he pretty much ignores me.
Gill, he is a foster cat, he can't be loose in the house all the time, and Molly would well and truly fall out with me, he just sat on the bed crying and looking at her, she was spitting and growling (the rescue lady had never heard her be so bad, and she had her for 8 months!!).
Please spay your cat

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #13 on: January 29, 2007, 17:58:01 PM »
If the vet thinks he has no problems then I think he is just scared and lonely. Constant crying or shouting is very destructive on the human, I know cos Kocka was like this at the end of her life.

I would be tempted to keep him out of his room now but leave the door open to see if he wants to go back. I reckon in a few days of having the freedom of the house and attention from you he will stop crying when he understands that he is still safe, has food, warmth, a litter tray and water and a human to cudddle him.

Come on Finn, you are gonna be OK  :hug: :hug:

Offline Michelle (furbabystar)

• Royal Cat
  • My Baby - Issey
« Reply #12 on: January 29, 2007, 11:27:08 AM »
Hi Desley,

3wks is a long time to be in just one room and i wonder if that is why he crys when he is allowed out.
I would, if you can put up with it, let him out for longer - all day if you can and see if he then stops crying.
Turn the radio up high  :rofl:

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #11 on: January 29, 2007, 10:02:12 AM »
We think he is about 3 - so certainly not senior!! I might try persevering with him a bit longer, but it is constant crying, and not pleasant to listen to.
Please spay your cat

Offline swampmaxmum

• Super Cat
  • SwampMax happy on their sunny French balcon 05!
« Reply #10 on: January 29, 2007, 09:53:50 AM »
I've been having lots of 3am 'senior' moments with my Swamp. For a week now, I've left the heating on all night which has helped. When I do have to get up, Swampy wants reassurance. He starts purring when he sees me.  He is agitated and he won't settle on my lap etc either; it's anxiety driven. I can only think enough to eat and keep him warm. Hope that helps. 3 weeks is not that long in a new, strange surrounding.

Offline JackSpratt

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #9 on: January 28, 2007, 22:28:06 PM »
Tis true, one of my old girls has taken to having "senior moments" at 3 in the morning! The joys of sharing your home with cats!  :rofl:

He does sound disorientated by having the run of the house, which is a little odd.

Offline Angiew

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Honorary Cat
« Reply #8 on: January 28, 2007, 22:15:55 PM »
how old is he. Older cats do this in a senior moment. Has he any siamese in him? He's obviously just wanting human company and will do well with someone who can be there for him.

Offline Plantie

• Adult Cat
« Reply #7 on: January 28, 2007, 17:01:54 PM »
Is the noise unbearable? Could you leave him out for as long as you can put up with it for? Hopefully at least half a day, i reckon he just needs tim to get used to the new surroundings. He's probably more confused than anything...........

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2007, 16:34:21 PM »
We dont know a lot of Finn's history, he turned up last summer at someone's house but she couldn't keep him due to her dog. He did have a collar on when he initially turned up, so she put posters up etc to try and find an owner, which was unsuccessful. When the weather turned cold in Nov, she rang us, as soon as she mentioned he had a collar on initially, I advised her to get him scanned for a chip before we woudl agree to take him on, which she did to no avail (she did also get told he was a neutered tom, but that's a different story, and I did get my vets to scan him again when he was under!!). So, he was neutered on teh 9th of this month, maybe that is part of hte problem? He does seem bewildered, but nothing much seems to calm him, and when he is in his room, he is fine unless he wants attention or food. So, I could just leave him in his room all the time, but hte prob is that I dont want to do that and then him have issues when he goes to a new home. Luckily he is still thin, so rehoming isn't on the cards yet anyway.
Please spay your cat

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2007, 15:32:51 PM »
Finns a foster cat. I remember seeing a picture of his rear end!
He sounds bewildered/confused. Rescue remedy may help, have you tried a plug in?
One of my fosters wanders around whilst whining but its normally for attention.

Offline Michelle (furbabystar)

• Royal Cat
  • My Baby - Issey
« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2007, 13:42:00 PM »
Is he *your cat* or are you fostering him ? (sorry dont know the history on this one)

Offline JackSpratt

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2007, 13:17:01 PM »
Do you know anything about Finns history? Was he the cat of an older person who spent all their time with him?

Offline Ela

• Royal Cat
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2007, 10:45:54 AM »
I am now wondering what is going to happen if we rehome him, whether he will do this in a new home, and if people will actually tolerate this?

Perhaps you will be able to find a home for him where someone is house bound or bed bound so he can sit at their side all day.
RULES ARE FOR THE OBEDIENCE OF FOOLS AND GUIDENCE OF WISE MEN.

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
ADvice on crying cat please
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2007, 10:34:22 AM »
Finn has been here for 3 weeks now, every time I try and let him out of 'his' room, he walks round my house crying - but pretty much constantly, I dont know how long it would take him to give up, as I tend to give up after 15-20 mins and put him back in his room. There doesn't seem to be anything specific he is crying for, i.e. he doesn't immediately go to the door or a window and cry. If he does see one of my cats (I know there were cats in the area he came from, and he did seem friendly with one of the two), he doesn't go up to them, he sits a short distance away and continues to cry, regardless of what the cats are doing to him, so I am not sure he is doing it to attract a cats attention. The only thing that does shut him up is holding him or putting him on your knee, but he wont stay there. When he is in his room, he only cries immediately after you leave him alone, but he does quieten down after 5-10 mins, and is a lovely cat in his room. Any tips on what to do - I am now wondering what is going to happen if we rehome him, whether he will do this in a new home, and if people will actually tolerate this?
Please spay your cat

Link to CatChat