Author Topic: He wants to go out, I want to let him out but....  (Read 3704 times)

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
Re: He wants to go out, I want to let him out but....
« Reply #23 on: February 07, 2007, 21:07:17 PM »
The email addy for Roz is
Securacat@aol.com  as there is a typo in the one you have put

Offline Kittybabe (Ruth)

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Lexy - Queen of all Kittydom
« Reply #22 on: February 07, 2007, 21:02:55 PM »
Glad you're keeping him in a bit longer.

In South Africa where I grew up, we had two wonderful cats, Cinder and Sasha (Lexy is her namesake).  When my mum and I decided we were moving to the UK 15 years ago, we had a very difficult decision to make. Cinder was 10 at that point but Sasha was already 17. We decided that my sister, who was still living there, would take them so that they woulnd't have to go through 6 months of quarantine. We knew that Sasha would never make it if we did.

So we took them to my sisters and off we came here.  Then about 3 months later I got a letter from my sister. She didn't have the heart to call me and tell me and thought the best way to pass the news was to write it.  My sister was heartbroken.  The cats had lived outside and inside for more years that we could think of. They were not happy kept in. Sasha though being an old lady and a queen mind you loved nothing more than the cuddles she would get indoors so she didn't mind.

Sasha was fine, she lived a long happy life with them until sadly she passed away at the ripe age of 21. 

Cinder however, they let out after only a couple weeks because she implored them. She didn't like being cooped up my little baby, so my sister caved. She came back after an hour or so. But then the next day she went out, and they never saw her again.

Their posters, continuous driving round, knocking on neighbours doors proved fruitless. Cinder was gone.  My sister went out each day early in the morning and when she got home from work for two weeks solid, nothing. It took my sister two and half months to tell me, she was so devestated. Sasha mind you seemed happier (Cinder was a right little scrap who annoyed Sasha no end).

If you're in doubt keep him in.  The heartbreak is awful. It took me 15 years to want to have a cat again, I coulnd't bear the pain of losing my baby.

Offline Rosella moggy

• Fundraising/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Popeye & Elsa
  • Slave to: Noni Baroni, Dinah, Ruby, Groucho, Bobby. Popeye & Elsa
« Reply #21 on: February 07, 2007, 18:40:44 PM »
All of my cats have 24 hour access to outside.

I am normally a natural ditherer but please take head.   PLEASE DON'T LET HIM OUT YET.

You will never forgive yourself if you do and he doesn't come back. Aslan (RIP my beautiful boy) begged me to go out almost on arrival and he assured me he was a very sensible cat that could look after himself and he would come back straight away when I called him. He was a perfect fibber. Within seconds of going out after 2 weeks, he legged it and I didn't see him for another 11 hours of sheer misery.  2 weeks is too early especially for a stray who may not have been used to having a home for sometime.  I would leave it a bare minimum of 3 and probably 4 weeks. 

Sorry typed this too quickly in my enthusiasm to stick my oar in. I'm so glad you've decided to keep him in a while longer. Isn't Henry a doll. Our Billy Whiz and Tom are both black too.  Simply loooove black cats. :Luv:

Offline Ela

• Royal Cat
« Reply #20 on: February 07, 2007, 13:03:09 PM »
Jo has just e-mailed me and she now has the info she needs.
RULES ARE FOR THE OBEDIENCE OF FOOLS AND GUIDENCE OF WISE MEN.

Offline Ela

• Royal Cat
« Reply #19 on: February 07, 2007, 12:49:55 PM »
I have already sent details to Jo

Offline Mr Frobisher

• Kitten
« Reply #18 on: February 07, 2007, 12:27:49 PM »
I've got an FIV cat - new to me - four weeks - he's 4 years old :  he seems quite happy indoors and I',m having a catscreen for the window but would like an outdoor run for the garden (for when it comes warmer!!)
Any ideas please - garden not too big but able to take a reasonable sized one.   Plenty of shrubs for shade where the run would be.  I believe there was a picture shown here recen tly and noted an address shown for Roz at securat@aol.com - who may have info.  tried that address - not known!
Anyone got any pics or ideas for a small outdoor run for a gorgeous cat!

Oggies Mum.  jo_everson@hotmail.com

Online Yvonne

• Super Cat
  • Cleo
  • Slave to: Trevor, Clare, Spotty, Homer, Parrot, Cody, strays, Ginger Snaps and Jacob Black.
« Reply #17 on: January 27, 2007, 23:09:14 PM »
Lovely pictures and judging by those pics he looks like a very contented puss.

Good luck with Henry and your building extension.
The Purrs 2011 Cat Show!
Could your cat be a winner? 
http://www.purrsinourhearts.co.uk/index.php/topic,37101.0.html

Offline schuey100

• Adult Cat
    • Homepage
« Reply #16 on: January 27, 2007, 23:04:19 PM »
Hi Schuey,

You have received some really good advice here, if Henry really wants to go out on the first occasion you must supervise him and do not leave his side, a harness might be a good idea, unfortunately I never got the chance to try it.

I would strongly recommend that you try and keep him in a little longer, try lots of cuddles and stimulation - which I am sure you already are doing.

What I can tell you is that if they go missing it is absolutely heartbreaking, you are realtively new to the forum and you may not have seen my thread on this section "Cat Health" at the bottom of the first page "Manx Female - Milly".  Please take a look at it and have a glance I don't expect you to read it all as reading it back is a bit like a soap opera in some places.  Hindsight is a wonderful thing and if I had the chance over again well ...........

Good luck and keep us posted - also some pictures of Henry would be appreciated.

I'll keep him indoors for another couple of weeks. I'm sure he'll cope :)

Here's some pics.

The last one is in the kitchen. He'll only go in his basket at night. He's on that kitchen chair at ALL other times :)

Online Yvonne

• Super Cat
  • Cleo
  • Slave to: Trevor, Clare, Spotty, Homer, Parrot, Cody, strays, Ginger Snaps and Jacob Black.
« Reply #15 on: January 27, 2007, 22:41:22 PM »
Hi Schuey,

You have received some really good advice here, if Henry really wants to go out on the first occasion you must supervise him and do not leave his side, a harness might be a good idea, unfortunately I never got the chance to try it.

I would strongly recommend that you try and keep him in a little longer, try lots of cuddles and stimulation - which I am sure you already are doing.

What I can tell you is that if they go missing it is absolutely heartbreaking, you are realtively new to the forum and you may not have seen my thread on this section "Cat Health" at the bottom of the first page "Manx Female - Milly".  Please take a look at it and have a glance I don't expect you to read it all as reading it back is a bit like a soap opera in some places.  Hindsight is a wonderful thing and if I had the chance over again well ...........

Good luck and keep us posted - also some pictures of Henry would be appreciated.
The Purrs 2011 Cat Show!
Could your cat be a winner? 
http://www.purrsinourhearts.co.uk/index.php/topic,37101.0.html

Offline JackSpratt

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #14 on: January 27, 2007, 19:51:24 PM »
Schuey, I would definately persevere another couple of weeks just to be on the safe side. If he's really confident, it's likely he'll go off on an adventure.

I try not to assume people are going to let their cats out; I personally allow all of my cats access to the outdoors, but we all have our own view on the best way to keep our cats safe and happy.

When I moved from my previous house, I didn't let my guys out for about 2 months. Hope that helps.

Carrie, Jack,Toby and Parsley ~ Love and miss you all always.x

saffron

« Reply #13 on: January 27, 2007, 18:58:44 PM »
All |I will say on this indoor/ outdoor situation is I have 4 cats mutelated by people before they came to me & although they can go outside if they want to they never do. Unfortunately the world is not a nice place & only each person can decide what is best for their cats & no one should ever judge someone else for what they decide

Offline Christine (Blip)

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Blip
« Reply #12 on: January 27, 2007, 17:50:37 PM »
I'll hang on for another couple of weeks. The garden is enclosed although the fences on either side aren't that high. I'll just have to put up with him crying for a bit. It's so sad, you can see how desperate he is to get out!

I really sympathise - Blip would be the same if, say, we moved and had to keep her in - but I'm sure you're making the right decision.

I'm a member of the British Humanist Association, the national charity supporting and representing people who seek to live good lives without religious or superstitious beliefs http://www.humanism.org.uk/home

Offline schuey100

• Adult Cat
    • Homepage
« Reply #11 on: January 27, 2007, 17:24:00 PM »
JackSpratt, I think you've misunderstood me. He's definitely going to be allowed out. I'm just worried that if I let him out too soon then he'll go out and run off and forget where he lives!

He's about 15 months old. He's been microchipped by Battersea Dogs home before we left so we're okay there. I took him out on a lead today in the back garden but he didn't like it much, he struggled the whole time.

I personally think two weeks is too early but wanted a second opinion., He's such a confident cat that he probably will go too far.He was a stray so he's used to being outside but I guess if he's got lost before he might well do it again!

I'll hang on for another couple of weeks. The garden is enclosed although the fences on either side aren't that high. I'll just have to put up with him crying for a bit. It's so sad, you can see how desperate he is to get out!

Offline Christine (Blip)

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Blip
« Reply #10 on: January 27, 2007, 17:10:36 PM »
Get him microchipped before you let him out as a backup plan.

Oh gosh, absolutely yes - personally I'd always have a cat microchipped, even if s/he were staying indoors, just in case...
I'm a member of the British Humanist Association, the national charity supporting and representing people who seek to live good lives without religious or superstitious beliefs http://www.humanism.org.uk/home

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #9 on: January 27, 2007, 17:00:23 PM »
How old is Henry?
Get him microchipped before you let him out as a backup plan.
I think 4 weeks is a minimum time for an adult cat. When they have been outside before they are that much more confident and may go further than they should.

When you do let him out, do it before breakfast so hes hungry and not on a day your rushing out to work.

Offline Christine (Blip)

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Blip
« Reply #8 on: January 27, 2007, 11:47:25 AM »
It was seven years ago now, but after she'd been here a month, I started to take Blip into our garden for short periods and stayed with her all the while she was out. We were helped in that we have an enclosed, walled back garden and as Blip had been in a pen for six months ( :(), she couldn't jump onto the walls at first. Whatever your circumstances, I'd recommend supervising Henry initially though.

Offline swampmaxmum

• Super Cat
  • SwampMax happy on their sunny French balcon 05!
« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2007, 11:10:41 AM »
I started with mine outside on a harness.  However then decided on a catrun, expensive and not too pretty to look at but you can grow plants up it. Put activity centres in the run, but they preferred the chairs in the sun  ;)
One took it immediately and felt secure; Swampy took a few months but then became much calmer.
I think it depends on you too and how much time you spend with your cat at home. Being stuck at home, I got to spend lots of time with them.

Offline Kittybabe (Ruth)

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Lexy - Queen of all Kittydom
« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2007, 10:53:03 AM »
Any chance you can enclose your back garden or have a run put in so that he stays safe where you can see him?

Offline Susanne (urbantigers)

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • PA to Mosi & Kito
« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2007, 10:25:23 AM »
I think you should try to harden your heart for just one more week and then if you feel he's still desperate to go out let him out.  If you were advised to keep him in for at least 3 weeks then it would be best to try to do that - only 1 more week to go!  What sort of toys are you using to distract him?  Do you have lots of fishing rod toys?  I know mine like interactive toys and want me to play with them.  Try tying a treat onto a piece of string and dragging it along the ground - that gets most cats chasing it!  It is important to keep them in for a while when you get a new cat so that they learn that it's home.  A work colleague rehomed 2 cats a few months ago and one of them broke through the cat flap about a week after they got them.  He's never been seen again.

Offline Ela

• Royal Cat
« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2007, 10:14:02 AM »
Although, letting him out after two weeks is very soon. I think the recommended amount of time is closer to double that. Good luck and let us know what you decide

If people do live in what we consider a cat safe environment, (although we appreciate no where is absolutely safe and yes, I don't let my cat out either and would not dream of it). We always suggest people keep cats in at least 8 weeks in the hope that they will keep them in at least 4. Kittens of course we suggest to keep them in until they are neutered/spayed.

Offline JackSpratt

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2007, 09:54:04 AM »
Oh no! Not the indoor/outdoor debate again!  :-:

It's a matter of opinion, really. If you truly believe your cat cannot be happy as a solely indoor cat, despite the various toys/scratchposts/beds you have provided then you should do what you feel would make him happy. Each cat is an individual, which is why it's difficult for a point of view to be given by someone else without meeting Henry. (After all, you probably know him best!)

Although, letting him out after two weeks is very soon. I think the recommended amount of time is closer to double that. Good luck and let us know what you decide. :)

Carrie, Jack,Toby and Parsley ~ Love and miss you all always.x

Offline Iluvcritters

• Adult Cat
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2007, 04:55:13 AM »
Hang a bird feeder outside the window to give him something to watch, lots of toys to play with and scratchers and climbers. IMO all kittys should be kept indoors, it is a big bad world out there. best of luck, purrs & petts

Offline schuey100

• Adult Cat
    • Homepage
He wants to go out, I want to let him out but....
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2007, 01:29:56 AM »
Should I?

Little Henry is so restless. He does nothing but look out of the window or the glass door and he whines constantly. It's so sad. We've had him for just over two weeks and we were told that we need to keep him in for at least three weeks but it would be better to keep him in longer.

I'm not sure either I nor Henry can wait any longer.

I've tried everything to make him tired, to stimulate him indoors but he's not interested. It's almost as if he's too clever to play with toys. I've even sprayed cat nip on them but he won't play or go near them. There's just no interest.

He's settled down really well. He'll come when we call his name and he's turned into being very loving from when we got him where he did everything possible to get away from us.

I'm not sure what to do. He was a stray so he loves the outdoors but I'm worried that if we let him out we'll never see him again.

Any ideas?

Link to CatChat