Author Topic: Is my new kitten constipated?  (Read 2464 times)

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
Re: Is my new kitten constipated?
« Reply #12 on: January 25, 2007, 17:57:41 PM »
Is he eating alot of dry food? One of mine gets constipated on dry food, so i limit it to a small portion a day.
In regards to water, you could try a different type of bowl, ceramic or glass or a cup and just experiment to see what he prefers. Plastic can sometimes taint water.

Offline Christine (Blip)

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Blip
« Reply #11 on: January 24, 2007, 20:15:34 PM »
How's Toby today, Fshort?

:Luv:
I'm a member of the British Humanist Association, the national charity supporting and representing people who seek to live good lives without religious or superstitious beliefs http://www.humanism.org.uk/home

Offline Desley (booktigger)

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Molly, my wonderful babe
  • Slave to: Lucy
« Reply #10 on: January 24, 2007, 07:37:24 AM »
I am glad he has pooed, but I would have still kept the app.
Please spay your cat

Offline fshort79

• Kitten
« Reply #9 on: January 23, 2007, 20:50:09 PM »
Hi everyone,

Thanks for your advice. I had made an vet appointment for today as I was so worried and couldn't think what else to do.

I had put down an extra litter tray in case he was fussy about using the same tray for both "ends". I'd given him a few licks of butter and I'd put a little fish oil on his wet food to try and loosen him a bit. I'd even given him a few gentle tummy rubs to try and get him to go.

But luckily, I came downstairs this morning to find two HUGE poos in the tray so I was able to put the appointment back to next week. I really didn't want to put him through a trip to the vet so soon after the ordeal of coming to a new home so I'm as relieved as he is!!!

He's been several times since - I don't know where he was storing it all as he's only a little lad - so he's obviously fit and well. Stress must just hit his tummy a bit hard.

Thanks again for all your advice.

Offline Ela

• Royal Cat
« Reply #8 on: January 23, 2007, 08:23:42 AM »
I would be tempted to bring the vet app forward - is

I agree to wait another week may not be in the little ones interest.
RULES ARE FOR THE OBEDIENCE OF FOOLS AND GUIDENCE OF WISE MEN.

Offline Desley (booktigger)

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Molly, my wonderful babe
  • Slave to: Lucy
« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2007, 08:11:31 AM »
I would be tempted to bring the vet app forward - is there nothing in your contract saying you have to have them to the vet within a certain timescale? This is done for peace of mind on both sides. Can't wait to see pics, and it is normal for cats to take a couple of days to get into a routine, but if you are worried, the vet is the best place to go.
Please spay your cat

Offline Smudgey

• Distinguished Cat
  • This is my bridge furbabe Smudge
  • Slave to: Abby Zak and Smudge
« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2007, 16:28:20 PM »
you could add aliitle water to the wet food to increase fluid intake thats what i do for mine

Offline Sam (Fussy_Furball)

• Marketing/Lost&Found/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Foxy (RIP), Zephyr (RIP), Rosina (RIP) & Oliver
« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2007, 16:17:39 PM »
If your little one is constipated you could try him with a bit of  Lactulose (best talk to the vet first though).

In ancient times cats were worshiped as gods; they have not forgotten this.

Offline fshort79

• Kitten
« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2007, 15:44:28 PM »
Thanks for your replies so far.

How could I have forgotten to mention my little bundle of fluff's name????

He's called Toby. It was the breeder's name for him and it suits him so it kinda stuck. She had another one called William and if I'd had him instead I would have changed his name.
I wouldn't want to come home from work and start calling for my little Willie!

I have made an appointment for a check-up at the vet but it's not til next week. I didn't want to stress him out too much all in one week.
But if he holds it in much longer I will have to rearrange the appointment I think.

Offline Ela

• Royal Cat
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2007, 15:35:51 PM »
I think when you get a new cat or kittens it is always wise to take it to the vet for an MOT, there you can discuss all your concerns.
RULES ARE FOR THE OBEDIENCE OF FOOLS AND GUIDENCE OF WISE MEN.

Offline Christine (Blip)

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Blip
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2007, 14:56:07 PM »
 :welcome: to Purrs

I expect your kitten is a bit bewildered and stressed at the moment but I'm not personally experienced with kittens. Lots of people on here are, though, although they may not come on until later in the day.

Meanwhile, would the breeder be able to advise you on his habits up to now?

What's the little fella's name?
I'm a member of the British Humanist Association, the national charity supporting and representing people who seek to live good lives without religious or superstitious beliefs http://www.humanism.org.uk/home

Offline fshort79

• Kitten
Is my new kitten constipated?
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2007, 14:40:28 PM »
Hi all,

I brought my new 5 month old ragdoll kitten home on saturday (20th) afternoon and I have a few questions/concerns about him.

He hardly ate for the first 24 hours he was here and to my knowledge he has not drunk any water (I have changed his water every 6-8 hours so far).
He started eating (with gusto!) sunday (21st) night and he finally used the litter tray a little later.
But he hasn't produced anything - ahem! - solid yet. He has gone to the tray several times but either only pees, or sits and mews softly for a while then gets up and walks away.
I think he's a bit constipted from the stress of leaving his mum and siblings, but I don't know how to help him. Also how do I get him to drink more?

There is always "Royal Canin" dry food and a bowl of water left down for him and twice a day I give him "iams" kitten food pouches. (This is what his breeder gave him).

Also, how often should he be "producing" (!) when he does get started again? I've had cats all my life but they have been outdoorsy farm cats so I have never really known how often they go!!!

Thanks for any help or insight you can give me.

Link to CatChat