Author Topic: New Kitty In Hiding!  (Read 2237 times)

Offline Queen-Penguin

• Distinguished Cat
Re: New Kitty In Hiding!
« Reply #11 on: January 22, 2007, 13:47:07 PM »
Hi all

Managed to get kitty out of her hiding place with the help of some tuna and a ball. Aww she's great! She was having a purr and meowing for attention! She is a lovely kitty!

Although, I did get up this morning at 5.30am to find that she had done a naughty on the rug in the hallway. Think it was because I had forgot to close the lounge door when I went to bed and in the night she had ventured out and it had closed. Either that or she hates the rug?!

Sarah xx
For a man to truly understand rejection, he must first be ignored by a cat.

Dogs believe they are human. Cats believe they are God.

No amount of time can erase the memory of a good cat, and no amount of masking tape can ever totally remove his fur from your couch.

Offline Sam (Fussy_Furball)

• Marketing/Lost&Found/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Foxy (RIP), Zephyr (RIP), Rosina (RIP) & Oliver
« Reply #10 on: January 21, 2007, 21:25:39 PM »
What good news ... sounds like she is begining to build in confidence.
In ancient times cats were worshiped as gods; they have not forgotten this.

Offline Desley (booktigger)

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Molly, my wonderful babe
  • Slave to: Lucy
« Reply #9 on: January 21, 2007, 16:47:53 PM »
Aww, it is sounding good.
Please spay your cat

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #8 on: January 21, 2007, 16:21:31 PM »
oh its early days yet but it sounds that she is having a real explore while you are asleep  :rofl: :rofl:

Offline Queen-Penguin

• Distinguished Cat
« Reply #7 on: January 21, 2007, 16:19:39 PM »
Hi all

Thanks for the advice! Finally kitty has moved from the kitchen and is now under the sette in the lounge which has given me time to kitty proof the kitchen!

During the night, it looks like she has had a good old shufty around the lounge as some dvd's were knocked down and the curtains were partly opened.

She has had a sniff and lick of my hand and has once again used her box and had something to eat and drink!

Sarah x

No amount of time can erase the memory of a good cat, and no amount of masking tape can ever totally remove his fur from your couch.

Offline JackSpratt

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2007, 10:57:36 AM »
Aaah, it's so unnerving being in a new place!

How old is your new kitty? Any previous homes? Some cats, are by mature naturally nervous. As Desley says the more she hears your voice (obviously being calm and soothing)the more she associates you with safety. It takes time with any animal, but I'm sure she'll be fine.

Another valid point is to try and get her a room with a few less places she can get herself "wedged" and possibly hurt herself. Under a chair is fine, but in the cooker drawer could get a bit upsetting!

Carrie, Jack,Toby and Parsley ~ Love and miss you all always.x

Offline Desley (booktigger)

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Molly, my wonderful babe
  • Slave to: Lucy
« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2007, 10:50:58 AM »
IS there anyway you can put her in one room that is cat proofed? I would just sit not looking at her and either talk gently or read out loud to get her used to you.
Please spay your cat

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2007, 01:40:00 AM »
As the others have said very normal.

I would make her a hidaway, a card board box  upside down with a hole in would do. Somewhere warm in a room where you are often , with some bedding and toys.

Cats like to have a nice place to hide as you have discovered LOL, and one that you contril would be the best.

keep talking to her and try and get her to come and feed from you, just take it slowly and gently and she will be fine. A toy on a string or fishing rod toy is a good way of playing cos you are at a distance.

Offline Kittybabe (Ruth)

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Lexy - Queen of all Kittydom
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2007, 23:32:59 PM »
Hi Sarah

And congratulations!

And yes its perfectly normal. Lexy hid under a piece of furniture her first day but I sat quietly talking to her and she ventured out to cuddle and sniff her litter tray etc. I kept her confined to one room for a couple days and then just took my cues from her when she was ready to venture out the room with me.

Sounds pretty normal for a timid cat.

Offline Sam (Fussy_Furball)

• Marketing/Lost&Found/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Foxy (RIP), Zephyr (RIP), Rosina (RIP) & Oliver
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2007, 23:23:58 PM »
It sounds normal to me ... she is obviusly a timid little soul and probably hasn't had much human contact in her early days.  Of course this can be overcome in time.  It sounds like you are doing the right thing and letting her get used to you and her new environment in her own time.

It might halp to have a look t wizzs advice on how to bond with your new kitten and how to deal with a timid cat: http://wizz-catz.co.uk/behavioural.html

I'm sure in time she will settle.

Can't wait to see pics of her ... what's her name?
In ancient times cats were worshiped as gods; they have not forgotten this.

Offline Queen-Penguin

• Distinguished Cat
New Kitty In Hiding!
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2007, 22:55:53 PM »
Hi all

New kitty arrived lastnight and she made a bee line for the cooker! Then she went round the back and found her way into the drawer underneath the cooker where you warm plates!  :( Then some how managed to squeeze through the tinyest of gaps and under the sink unit, so that I have had to pull the front off the unit just to see if she is ok.

I can see she is really upset and so I have left her to her own devices and occassionally I have sat down on the floor and talked to her and she has had a sniff of me. She has even ventured out into the lounge which is a good sign! And she is also eating well and pooing and peeing in the box.

Is this normal behaviour? I mean the hiding away? I guess she has got to get used to my flat? She keeps peeking her head aroud the door and I am calling her name and takling to her. Does it all require extreme patience? She is a lovely cat.

Sarah xx

Link to CatChat