Author Topic: Vaccines - mainly for Lottie  (Read 5324 times)

Online Susanne (urbantigers)

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • PA to Mosi & Kito
Re: Vaccines - mainly for Lottie
« Reply #25 on: January 23, 2007, 14:35:02 PM »
another thing to think about is insurance.   Cats are only covered against illnesses that can be vaccinated against if they have the vaccination.  And I'd bet that means annual boosters.  If a cat gets cat flu and has not had boosters every 12 months or round about then I doubt you'd be covered (or at least the insurer would do everything to wriggle out of paying).

It's a tricky one because I personally don't beleive cats need to be vaccinated every 12 months but until that becomes accepted by vaccine manufacturers and vets asa  whole most of us are going to have to continue with annual boosters.

Offline Ela

• Royal Cat
« Reply #24 on: January 23, 2007, 13:24:14 PM »
I always stagger the time in between, i never have them done at exactly a year, i norm go 14 or 15mths between vaccines.

If cats /dogs are to go in a cattery or kennels I don't think that would be acceptable I also agree with Susanne that many vets would want to start again if left 15 months. So many vets and so many different thoughts. I personally would rather air on the side of caution.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2007, 13:27:28 PM by Ela »
RULES ARE FOR THE OBEDIENCE OF FOOLS AND GUIDENCE OF WISE MEN.

Offline Michelle (furbabystar)

• Royal Cat
  • My Baby - Issey
« Reply #23 on: January 23, 2007, 10:16:46 AM »
I always stagger the time in between, i never have them done at exactly a year, i norm go 14 or 15mths between vaccines.

That's somethign peeps need to be careful of doing without checking with their vet first.  Normally there's some leeway - a month or 2 - but exactly how much will depend on your vet.  Many vets will probably insist on starting again if you leave it for 15 months.  Catteries also may not accept a cat that's been vaccinated every 15 months rather than annually.

Hi Susanne
Totally agree and you are right to point out that you must check with a vet first
I did ask my vet and he said it was ok as its a live vaccine and doesnt just run out at 12months. I asked him if he vaccines his cats and he said " yes, but didnt agree with putting a vaccine in them every 12mths"
So thats why i let mine go alittle longer in between jabs

Fingers crossed i am doing the right thing then

michelle xx

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • PA to Mosi & Kito
« Reply #22 on: January 23, 2007, 09:39:32 AM »

That's somethign peeps need to be careful of doing without checking with their vet first.  Normally there's some leeway - a month or 2 - but exactly how much will depend on your vet.  Many vets will probably insist on starting again if you leave it for 15 months.  Catteries also may not accept a cat that's been vaccinated every 15 months rather than annually.

• Royal Cat
  • My Baby - Issey
« Reply #21 on: January 22, 2007, 15:46:31 PM »

I have never had the FeLV done on any of mine

Offline Ela

• Royal Cat
« Reply #20 on: January 22, 2007, 15:41:01 PM »
other year and longer, particulary for Enteritis.

I know some vets do only inject every other year for enteritis and yearly for cat flu, however somewhere it was stated that the enteritis injection does not quite cover the full 2 yrs so I expect many vets would rather air on the side of caution and inject each year.

Offline Ela

• Royal Cat
« Reply #19 on: January 22, 2007, 15:38:18 PM »
n the same way they could even if they were vaccinated.

They could however, usually if a cat is vaccinated it does not have such a sever dose of flu or enteritis. and with vet treatment are more likely to recover.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2007, 15:41:28 PM by Ela »

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #18 on: January 22, 2007, 13:37:46 PM »
However, this age related resistance is not guaranteed and cats could still become infected if they were to come into contact with high levels of the virus. 

In the same way they could even if they were vaccinated.

I dont have mine done for FeLV. Theres also more studies showing positive results for jabs every other year and longer, particulary for Enteritis.

Offline Ela

• Royal Cat
« Reply #17 on: January 22, 2007, 10:21:06 AM »
quote]vets have said it is more important as they get older to have their injections ![[/quote]

Personally I think it is just as important for cats of any age to be injected. Enteritis and cat flue are airborne and I have seen a who household of indoor cats and kittens wiped out.

Offline Teresa Pawcats

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • www.pawsinncatrescue.co.uk
    • Paws Inn Website rehoming page
« Reply #16 on: January 22, 2007, 10:03:51 AM »
I vaccinate everything for Flu/Ent and Felv, even 21 year old Buster still gets his boosters. There are risks involved but when you have nursed cats through all these terrible illnessses you realise the importance of vaccination.

Offline Ela

• Royal Cat
« Reply #15 on: January 22, 2007, 09:41:36 AM »
I have been sent what would have actually been said at the CP conference:-

Adult cats are less susceptible to FeLV than kittens and therefore most FeLV positive cats are under 6 years old.  However, this age related resistance is not guaranteed and cats could still become infected if they were to come into contact with high levels of the virus.   There have been devastating cases of cats not being vaccinated at all, because they were thought to be at low risk of disease (e.g. older cats and/or indoor cats) and then contracting a fatal illness.  Whilst these cases should be kept in perspective, it should be remembered that older cats can still be susceptible to disease (including FeLV), even if the risk is thought to be slim.

Offline Desley (booktigger)

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Molly, my wonderful babe
  • Slave to: Lucy
« Reply #14 on: January 21, 2007, 16:19:36 PM »
Michelle - I think it is important to keep up with senior cats jabs as they dont have as good an immune system, but if you never board them, you could do it every other year. My vet has agreed to just give Molly one jab this year as getting her in the carrier involves a lot of running about trying to catch her, which can't be good for a 14yo. Mine do get the flu and enteritis one, but I wont use the FeLV one.
Please spay your cat

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • PA to Mosi & Kito
« Reply #13 on: January 21, 2007, 14:36:37 PM »
Jaffa had the FeLV jab once when my vets were out of the one he normally has so gave him an all in one that included the FeLV instead.  I didn't mind at the time but now I would refuse that one as I don't give him the FeLV vaccination.  Mosi had it with his first lot of injections (not done by me) but he won't have it when he has his booster.

Offline Ela

• Royal Cat
« Reply #12 on: January 21, 2007, 13:23:44 PM »
That was nearly 2 years ago now Ela, so the vet might have to look back for it.

The vet should know all CP guidelines  so hopefully it will not be too long before she gets back to me.

• Royal Cat
  • My Baby - Issey
« Reply #11 on: January 21, 2007, 12:39:32 PM »
I was going to stop Bears injections (flu + Ent) this year as he is 11yrs old. I had always believed that cats build up an immunity after years of having vaccines but 3 different vets have said it is more important as they get older to have their injections !

Any input anyone ?
What do the VN's on here advise their clients ?

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #10 on: January 21, 2007, 11:36:47 AM »
That was nearly 2 years ago now Ela, so the vet might have to look back for it.
Please spay your cat

Offline Ela

• Royal Cat
« Reply #9 on: January 21, 2007, 11:04:59 AM »
- when I fostered for CP, they told me that they went to a conference and older cats that have had access to the outside don't need it as they have built up their own immunity.

I don't go to conferences and we have not been given anything in writing so we have not been advised of this, so I have contacted CO vet for clarification as if true they do need to let the branches know. I will get back when I receive a reply.

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #8 on: January 20, 2007, 22:35:36 PM »
I wont have any of mine done for it - when I fostered for CP, they told me that they went to a conference and older cats that have had access to the outside don't need it as they have built up their own immunity. Interestingly, if you look on the Glasgow website, it states the FeLV vaccine as being 85% effective - which is the same as a cats natural immunity, so makes you wonder what the point in doing it is. I know the rescues vet said he now vaccinates everything until death because he had a cat vaccinated for everything until it was 19 and then stopped - cat died from FeLV. So either the FeLV vaccine only lasts the one year, or it didn't help the cat much.
Please spay your cat

Offline Team Svartalfheims

• Super Cat
  • Minxy Moo
    • Svartalfheim's Norwegian Forest Cats
« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2007, 22:02:42 PM »
How many people have the FeLV jab done ??

Mine all get done for FeLV every year.
You can visit my cats at http://www.svartalfheim.co.uk 

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2007, 20:27:17 PM »
Yes all of them have the rest  ;D

• Royal Cat
  • My Baby - Issey
« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2007, 19:50:18 PM »

My other 3 cats are all over 8yrs old and my vet does not give the vaccine to older cats cos by then they have usually built up resistance.

Do they still have the flu and enteritis ?

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2007, 19:19:35 PM »
Misa was done by Cp and he had bad reaction on the second part so I will not have it done any more.

My other 3 cats are all over 8yrs old and my vet does not give the vaccine to older cats cos by then they have usually built up resistance.

• Royal Cat
  • My Baby - Issey
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2007, 18:51:32 PM »
Just out of intrest -
How many people have the FeLV jab done ??

I have never had mine done for FeLV

Offline Team Svartalfheims

• Super Cat
  • Minxy Moo
    • Svartalfheim's Norwegian Forest Cats
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2007, 21:46:34 PM »
Thanks Desley!
You can visit my cats at http://www.svartalfheim.co.uk 

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
Vaccines - mainly for Lottie
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2007, 20:50:35 PM »
This has been discussed on another cat forum, and thought you might be interested as it mentions the rabies jab and alternating it. This came from FAB

Interesting info on vaccines...

What problems may be associated with vaccination?

Side effects from vaccines are very rare, especially in view of the thousands of doses that are administered every year. The most common side effects are very mild, and include lethargy, inappetence or tenderness at the injection site. More marked side effects may include vomiting, diarrhoea, lameness, fever, signs of respiratory tract infection, or lumps at the site of injection. Kittens and young cats appear to be more likely to develop problems than older cats. Another adverse effect that may be reported is lack of efficacy. Whilst this may be due to genuine vaccine failure, it may also be due to infection before vaccination, or a deficient immune system resulting in an inability by the cat to mount an immune response.

The side effect that has received the most attention in recent years is fibrosarcoma – this is a tumour that develops at the site of vaccination. A number of cats may develop a small nodule at the site of injection, associated with inflammation. This will normally disappear within three to four weeks, but if it does not, the chronic inflammation can lead to the development of a fibrosarcoma tumour. Inflammation is more likely to arise with vaccines that contain a substance called an adjuvant which is included in the vaccine to improve their efficacy. Adjuvanted vaccines are typically the FeLV and rabies vaccines.

The incidence of fibrosarcoma in the USA is estimated to be one case per 10,000, whereas in the UK it is estimated to be 0.04 cases per 10,000 doses of vaccine. This difference may be explained by different vaccines available in the two countries, and the greater frequency of rabies vaccination in the USA .

Injection-associated fibrosarcomas are very invasive, which makes them difficult to remove. In the USA , some guidelines recommend rabies vaccinations are administered in the right hind leg, and leukaemia vaccines are administered in the left hind leg. This is partly because, should a fibrosarcoma develop at these sites, limb amputation is possible and offers a better chance of complete removal than trying to remove an invasive tumour from the neck region.

While fibrosarcoma is a devastating disease, it should be remembered that FeLV is also a fatal disease. The incidence of FeLV is far greater than fibrosacroma, at one to two cases per 100 cats, with some areas having a much higher prevalence of disease.

Conclusions

Vaccination is generally a safe procedure that has substantially reduced the incidence of serious disease within the feline population. That said, vaccines are not entirely without risk, and appropriate and judicious use is indicated. Individual cats that do not tolerate vaccines may still be protected if the vast majority of the feline population is protected, as the infections do not have sufficient numbers of susceptible hosts to become established. However, if a sufficiently high number of cats were to be unprotected, diseases such as panleukopenia that are currently very rare could become re-established within the feline population.

END....
-------------------------
BY THE WAY:
...In pharmacology, adjuvants are drugs that have few or no pharmacological effects by themselves, but may increase the efficacy or potency of other drugs when given at the same time. So basically, this is why the cancer is happening... The companies are making the vaccines too strong by adding this ingredient...

Please spay your cat

Link to CatChat