Author Topic: I am so upset :(  (Read 7850 times)

Offline Christine (Blip)

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Blip
Re: I am so upset :(
« Reply #40 on: January 24, 2007, 20:17:20 PM »
How's it all going, Rach?
I'm a member of the British Humanist Association, the national charity supporting and representing people who seek to live good lives without religious or superstitious beliefs http://www.humanism.org.uk/home

Offline Marie

• Senior Cat
  • Maisy and Tommy
« Reply #39 on: January 23, 2007, 17:15:26 PM »
Rachel - I remember your thread on CC when you rescued Manson and Rollins.

Sending best wishes to you all.
Marie, Maisy and Tommy xxx

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #38 on: January 23, 2007, 16:49:09 PM »
Isnt he just the most handsome, he has a white tash just like Misa  ;D

Offline Team Svartalfheims

• Super Cat
  • Minxy Moo
    • Svartalfheim's Norwegian Forest Cats
« Reply #37 on: January 23, 2007, 12:06:13 PM »
on the cost of the tests - FIV / FeLV test to Glasgow are £45 here and Calici is £29

Phew thank goodness for that, won't need to take out a second mortgage then lol.
You can visit my cats at http://www.svartalfheim.co.uk 

Offline Michelle (furbabystar)

• Royal Cat
  • My Baby - Issey
« Reply #36 on: January 23, 2007, 10:22:27 AM »
Oh My God he is yummy, what a handsome boy !

Just spoke to a friend (a FIV Mummy) and she says that she thinks Petplan will pay for the bloodtests as they were to find out if there was a problem because he was unwell  but she doesnt think they will now pay for anything else to do with him as he is FIV Positive

on the cost of the tests - FIV / FeLV test to Glasgow are £45 here and Calici is £29

Offline Christine (Blip)

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Blip
« Reply #35 on: January 23, 2007, 10:12:59 AM »
I'm going to interrupt briefly the good, practical advice to say what brilliant little paws Manson has! Just love those white 'bracelets'!
I'm a member of the British Humanist Association, the national charity supporting and representing people who seek to live good lives without religious or superstitious beliefs http://www.humanism.org.uk/home

Offline Ela

• Royal Cat
« Reply #34 on: January 23, 2007, 08:22:33 AM »
It was £150 for FIV, FELV, Calice virus and a course of antibiotics

Surely it can't be that much for just the above, round here the FIV & FelV test is just less than £30.

Dr Sue Duthie at the University Glasgow, has stated that  recent research has shown that cats infected with FIV can live just as long as uninfected cats .A long-term FIV Monitoring Project was also carried out at Glasgow Veterinary School over a number of years and the results indicated that a higher percentage of FIV negative cats died than FIV positive cats! A fourteen year study by Maureen Hutchison B.Sc, BVMS, MRCVS  found that FIV-positive cats are more likely to die by being killed in road accidents or to be alive and well into their twilight years than they are to die from any FIV related condition. Also, a recent survey by Dr Diane D. Addie (Lecturer in Veterinary Virology, University of Glasgow) where 26 cats were monitored for ten years, found that FIV infection did not affect the cat's life expectancy

We in the Chesterfield & District CP have installed a luxury unit for FIV positive cats awaiting a permanent home. It can be seen oniThe Gallery on our site www.chesterfieldcats.co.uk. The unit can house up to six at a time, and has all they need for a comfortable stay - but nothing beats having their own home, with their own folks and their own fireside. Although, sadly, there is not yet a cure for FIV, many  cats with the virus can live happily and healthily for many years. In fact, we’ve heard of one such feline who is over 20 years old and still absolutely fine. So long as prompt treatment for any health problems is sought, We would  like to home our FIV cats to indoor homes, or to somewhere with a safe/enclosed garden. To increase the live a a FIV cat it is in its interest to keep it as an indoor cat or make a cat safe garden. We have found the biggest problem  with FIV cats is mouth problems which are usually easily resolves with prompt vet care.
RULES ARE FOR THE OBEDIENCE OF FOOLS AND GUIDENCE OF WISE MEN.

Offline Desley (booktigger)

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Molly, my wonderful babe
  • Slave to: Lucy
« Reply #33 on: January 23, 2007, 08:01:25 AM »
I dont know what PetPlans policy for paying for bloodtests is, but it is worth either ringing them or checking your paperwork - if you do ring them, make sure you say it was done because the vet was concerned and not routinely, they would be more likely to pay out. I would also find out what they will pay for in the future - it did slip my mind that he was insured before this, whereas the others on here have adopted them with it, so they should have to pay out - but you will have to stick with them for life, as if you move it will be classed as a pre-existing condition.
Aww, he is gorgeous!!!
« Last Edit: January 23, 2007, 08:03:41 AM by Desley (booktigger) »
Please spay your cat

Offline rach

• Adult Cat
« Reply #32 on: January 23, 2007, 07:57:14 AM »
This is Manson being Godzilla...

[attachment deleted by admin]

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #31 on: January 23, 2007, 02:14:35 AM »
I am sorry to hear that news but as the others have said he should still have a long and happy life. I agree with Desley I would not have the other kitten tested and also agree with Helen that the insurance should pay out, however this is Petplan! I would ask your vet to take it up with them if you have any problems getting the money.

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Save a life draw/Commercial Assistant/Moderating Staff
  • Royal Cat
« Reply #30 on: January 22, 2007, 22:32:27 PM »
Sorry to hear about your little man, don't have any experience of FIV myself but I do know that cats can still live long and happy lives and appear perfectly healthy and normal.  With regards the insurance if it's not a pre existing condition (which it wasn't as he showed no symptoms and was not diagnosed) then I can't see how they can't pay for costs associated with it.  It would be like them saying (in my case) We'll insure your cat as a young healthy animal but if she ever has CRF in the future then we won't cover it or costs associated with it...

Maybe you could treat us to some pics of your brave little soldier?

Offline rach

• Adult Cat
« Reply #29 on: January 22, 2007, 22:03:45 PM »
We shall call Petplan in the morning to have a look, as FIV isnt even mentioned in any policy wording. My husband cant find the recipt right now, but hes going to ask for another print out from the vets.

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #28 on: January 22, 2007, 21:14:01 PM »
Just out of interest, is there any way you could get a breakdown? I dont konw if you will be able to claim it for the insurance, and most insurance companies wont pay for any FIV related illnesses, I think the majority of people wtih FIV+ cats on here just put money aside instead.
Please spay your cat

Offline rach

• Adult Cat
« Reply #27 on: January 22, 2007, 20:12:50 PM »
I havent seen the invice as my husband did it all, we will get a copy for the insurance though (assuming we can claim?). It was £150 for FIV, FELV, Calice virus and a course of antibiotics.

• Super Cat
  • Minxy Moo
« Reply #26 on: January 22, 2007, 20:09:58 PM »
Thank goodness for that I was about to have a heart attack then!!

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #25 on: January 22, 2007, 19:29:34 PM »
Dont forget he was tested for Calici too Lottie, that is why I asked how much for the FIV part of it.
Please spay your cat

• Super Cat
  • Minxy Moo
« Reply #24 on: January 22, 2007, 19:26:58 PM »
we will have to hold off getting rollins tested anyways, because we just cant afford another £150!

The FIV/FeLV tests are £150??  :Crazy: Eek!!

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #23 on: January 22, 2007, 19:24:46 PM »
Rach - how much of that was for the FIV test?
Please spay your cat

Offline rach

• Adult Cat
« Reply #22 on: January 22, 2007, 19:19:43 PM »
thanks, people it means alot! we will have to hold off getting rollins tested anyways, because we just cant afford another £150!

manson will be fine, he lives a very happy life here already, and he knows he is the boss of our flat (when rollins is asleep!)

Offline Christine (Blip)

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Blip
« Reply #21 on: January 22, 2007, 19:17:06 PM »
Of course you are shocked, Rach,  :hug: but there is a huge group of people on here whose cats are FIV+ and living happy, normal lives - they will give you loads of excellent advice.

xC

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #20 on: January 22, 2007, 19:11:14 PM »
Neither are a death sentence, Rach - and they can live long lives with both. I personally wouldn't have Rollins tested, but just keep them both as indoor only cats. He would have been bouncing round, they aren't 'ill' as such with either illness, Have posted in your other thread too.
Please spay your cat

• Royal Cat
  • My Baby - Issey
« Reply #19 on: January 22, 2007, 19:07:41 PM »
Oh Rach

Sorry it wasnt the result we had all hoped for, but please remember that it isnt a death setence.
There are some FIV Mums on here, hopefully they will be able to comfort you and give you some positive news

Give Mason and Rollins a big kiss from me
and Big {{Hugs}} to you

Michelle xx

Offline rach

• Adult Cat
« Reply #18 on: January 22, 2007, 18:40:51 PM »
We got the results and it isnt good news :(

Manson is FIV+ and has the calice virus too.

Rollins will now have to be tested.

We honestly thought there was nothing wrong with him ALL week, as he was bouncing round everywhere.....:(

Offline Christine (Blip)

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Blip
« Reply #17 on: January 18, 2007, 13:34:39 PM »
7-10 days it says!

You'd think they'd be able to be more specific, wouldn't you? Oh well, I'd just try to keep busy and distract myself whenever I started dwelling on my anxiety: I did this myself when waiting for some test results last year - housework is good, I found and so is SuDoku, if you like that. And playing with Manson and Rollins, of course!

Fingers crossed though that the results, when they come, will be a huge relief. Be sure to let us know.

Offline rach

• Adult Cat
« Reply #16 on: January 17, 2007, 17:10:00 PM »
7-10 days it says!

Offline Christine (Blip)

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Blip
« Reply #15 on: January 17, 2007, 12:53:12 PM »
Forgot to ask - when do you expect Manson's results, Rach?

Offline Iluvcritters

• Adult Cat
« Reply #14 on: January 17, 2007, 04:40:31 AM »
Sending hugs and prayers! paws crossed for good news!

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #13 on: January 16, 2007, 21:07:58 PM »
Aww, am glad they are fine and that the new vet is sounding more promising. Good luck for the test results.
Please spay your cat

Offline Christine (Blip)

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Blip
« Reply #12 on: January 16, 2007, 19:38:53 PM »

Saw a different vet than this morning who now said its 90% that Manson is ok, and it may be due to him changing his teeth. I dont know what to think, so I guess it is just a case of waiting until the results come back.

Try not to think (i.e. fret about) anything for the moment  :hug: - everything sounds a lot more promising now, I'd say...

:hug:

Offline rach

• Adult Cat
« Reply #11 on: January 16, 2007, 18:58:05 PM »
:)

They are both home now, sliding their bums across the floor, eek!

Saw a different vet than this morning who now said its 90% that Manson is ok, and it may be due to him changing his teeth. I dont know what to think, so I guess it is just a case of waiting until the results come back.

• Royal Cat
  • My Baby - Issey
« Reply #10 on: January 16, 2007, 17:50:13 PM »
Fingers crossed its nothing too bad Rach

I can only ecko what other people have said that it might be Calici or even if it does turn out to be FIV Mason could still lead a normal, but indoor, life.

Let us know as soon as you hear anything

Michelle xxxxxx

Offline Christine (Blip)

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Blip
« Reply #9 on: January 16, 2007, 17:17:55 PM »
I agree with Gill and Helen - let's not assume the worst at this stage or that whatever is up with young Manson can't be treated.  I know this is really easy for us to say and really hard for you to do  :hug:  :hug:

Ear scratches to Manson and Rollins and keep us posted.

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Save a life draw/Commercial Assistant/Moderating Staff
  • Royal Cat
« Reply #8 on: January 16, 2007, 16:55:55 PM »
Sorry to hear about Manson, lets hope it's nothing serious.  It's so scary when a vet tells us that there may be something wrong with our little ones, you start to panic and fear the worst but it could just as easily be something that is easy to treat and won't cause your little man too many problems.

Let us know how he gets on...

Offline smudgepickles

• Distinguished Cat
« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2007, 16:45:41 PM »
http://www.animalhealthchannel.com/calicivirus/

I googled it, it comes up with loads of sites

xxxx

Offline rach

• Adult Cat
« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2007, 16:44:09 PM »
Are there any websites about calicivirus?

and thanks for your kind words :)

Offline smudgepickles

• Distinguished Cat
« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2007, 16:43:09 PM »
Keeping everything crossed for you and hope the tests are all ok

Hope they are both not to sore after their bits and bobs renoved  :hug: :hug: :hug:

Helen
x

Offline Gillian Harvey

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Sam RIP
    • Scruffy Joe's Cat Grooming & Cat Sitting
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2007, 16:40:17 PM »
He prob means calicivirus - which is one of the causes of cat flu, and prob the most likely cause, so it may mean that the kittens have been exposed to the calicivirus at some point. Hope thats all it is, not that gum disease isnt a problem, just that its treatable. Keepin my fingers crossed for you.

Offline Parée

• Adult Cat
    • Teddy Boys Reunited
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2007, 16:38:44 PM »
Hi Rach I know how you feel, lets hope the tests come back OK
A cat is for life

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2007, 16:35:29 PM »
 :welcome: to Purrs and wish it was in better circumstances.

I do hope the tests on Manson come back with nothing too serious............it could be calici virus and that can be treated and FIV is not a death sentence either.

So lets not jump over any fences until we can see if a path can be laid and send all our healing thoughts for Manson.  :hug: :hug: :hug:

Offline rach

• Adult Cat
I am so upset :(
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2007, 16:29:36 PM »
My husband took our two kitties, Manson and Rollins in to the vets today to be neutered. An hour later, he received a call about Manson. The vet says he has got severe gum disease, and could be caused by FIV, Leukaemia or Coalice (sp?).....he was crying all morning, left a message on my phone whilst i was teaching so when i read it i was crying and got sent home from work.

The vet has still carried out the neutering, and is doing tests on the poor boy. We should be hearing from them soon to go and pick them up but i am scared, and feel so bad for him.

If anyone remembers me from catchat, I rescued the kittens from a centre and they had been dumped at the side of a road because their back feet are deformed  :'(

Link to CatChat