Author Topic: Advice Please!! - 2nd Cat  (Read 2280 times)

Offline sonya

• Distinguished Cat
  • Ozzy Daisy and Ebony
Re: Advice Please!! - 2nd Cat
« Reply #11 on: January 23, 2007, 20:53:34 PM »
Hi and congrats on your new arrival  :)  I adopted a rescue cat Ebony a couple of months ago and after a bit of a shaky start, she has settled in great and gets on famously with my other two babes.  After a few days of Daisy hissing and not wanting much to do with her, they are now the best of friends and im sure they conspire to find the naughtiest things possible to do just to bug me  :rofl:  My other cat Ozzy had no problem accepting her from the start , I think he found it to much effort to object cos hes lardy lol.

Was one of my better decisions adopting her as shes just gorgeous.  Hope Bitza and Rocky will soon become firm friends  :Luv:

Sonya
Cats are like vodkas-you cant just have one

Offline Rockys Mum

• Kitten
  • bitza - the newbie
« Reply #10 on: January 19, 2007, 16:52:59 PM »
Thank you all for your advice!

Unfortunately the bathroom isnt an option - its not called the smallest room in the house for nothing in my case!!

so we are continuing with the cage - and so far so good! Bitza is in his cage all night, and when Im at work - although i could shut him in the livingroom (where his cage is ) - at the moment I dont want to excude Rocky from any part of his Empire!

Rocky  checked out Bitza's cage yesterday evening when Bitza was flaked out on the sofa - he then sniffed Bitza's paw - which seems to be a step forward! Bitza is so laid back - he seems happy to accept Rocky is the Alpha cat - Just need Rocky to realise that!

Needless to say we are lavishing attention on Rocky - even when he doesnt want it! He is still hissing when he walks past Bitza - but Im hoping this will slowly stop - the only reaction he gets to it is from us!

I guess the next step will be in a couple of weeks when Bitza is allowed outside (though he doesnt show much interest in going out at the moment!) - and I can unlock the cat flap - currently incoming only when he is loose...poor Rocky has headbutted it a couple of times - and voiced his disapproval in no uncertain terms!!

I must admit that, once we had made the decision to take on another rescue cat, I did start to have major misgivings and worries - most of which, I happy to say, have been totally unfounded!

Thanks again Rx

ps - have been trying to upload pics but they are too big!!
Rach

Offline Iluvcritters

• Adult Cat
« Reply #9 on: January 17, 2007, 04:47:24 AM »
congrats on the new addition! I kept Pandia in the bathroom the first week she was here (not that she even tried to come out) as I have limited space also.  I exchanged sleeping blankets so each could smell each others scent. When I did let them out together I had no problems. Best of luck

Offline Desley (booktigger)

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Molly, my wonderful babe
  • Slave to: Lucy
« Reply #8 on: January 16, 2007, 21:26:43 PM »
Good luck - would like to point out that not all of Shadow's taming was done via the cage, I actually think I had more success with her when she was in the cat room. Out of interest, how big is your bathroom? And she has actually been in her new home a week and a half ago now - have given her new owners the link so hopefully they will join and tell us all about her.
Please spay your cat

Offline Rockys Mum

• Kitten
  • bitza - the newbie
« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2007, 21:11:01 PM »
Thanks Gill

At the moment all is quiet - rocky is still out for the count on the bed (I gave him "real" tuna for a treat! ...) and bitza ... recently nicknamed Vinny ... as in Van Gogh!.... is asleep on the sofa - soon to be returned to his cage!

Thanks again
Rach

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2007, 20:17:44 PM »
Make sure Rocky knows that he is still loved and wanted, cos I have a problem with my birman pair and my two big cats who dont like the birmans at all. The big cats were here first and 6 months later got the birman boys. Misa hisses at them and rushes past to hide cos the birmans are the confident ones.

Rocky needs to know that this confident stranger hasnt taken over all his house and there is still a place for him.

Offline Rockys Mum

• Kitten
  • bitza - the newbie
« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2007, 18:25:52 PM »
thanks for the thread and link - think my biggest hurdle is that the new boy is so much more confident than Rocky (who has now gone outside to sulk!) - although he is not vicious - thanks to the link I have read that hissing with ears up is ok!

I also have very little room here - one bedroom one living room ....oh for the luxury of a SPARE bedroom!!!!

Having let Bitza out for a sniff around he is now crying to be let out again......
Rach

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2007, 16:21:47 PM »

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2007, 16:18:42 PM »
Yes Wizzs info is great and well worth a read but it sounds like you are doing well with the cage, so I would tend to carry on with this.

There is thread called Shadow with the story of Desleys foster kitten Shadow who was tamed and made ready for rehoming all fronm a cage. Shadow was rehomed last week so you make get some tips from that.

Right let me find the link  ;D

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Save a life draw/Commercial Assistant/Moderating Staff
  • Royal Cat
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2007, 16:05:34 PM »
Have a look at this link, the lady that wrote is an animal behaviourist.  There have been lots of cats on the old forum (Cat chat) and a few on this new forum that have been successfully introduced using this method...

http://wizz-catz.co.uk/introducing.html

Good luck with Rocky and Bitza, let us know how they get on.  Oh, and we expect to see lots of pics of them all snuggled up together in a few months  ;D

Offline Rockys Mum

• Kitten
  • bitza - the newbie
Advice Please!! - 2nd Cat
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2007, 15:08:53 PM »
Hi All

I have just adopted a second rescue cat!

Rocky came into our lives last May - having been found abandoned with his Mum and sister, he had to be placed in a foster home due to his nervousness of humans. He has come on in leaps and bounds - and more often than not he has the best seat on the sofa!! He has always been good with the local cats - even tolerates visits from my friends elderly dog!

I have often thought he must get a bit lonely .... soooo.... as of 9am we are now a 2 cat family.

Bitza was found following an RTA - and has a piece of one ear missing, and has had to have his tail amputated. he has been at the home since August/September.

I bought a large dog cage for Bitza so that Rocky can still have the run of his home - use the cat flap ect in the early days, and he seems happy enough in it. Rocky has been within 3 feet of the cage - I was feeding them both treats - and other than a bit of hissing he seems OK at the moment!!

My OH and I work at opposite ends of the day - so they will be alone for 6 hours max.

Bitza loves a stroke and affection - but at present this has been done through a slightly open cage door! And I dont want to upset Rocky!!

Any Do's and Donts please??

xx

Rach

Link to CatChat