Author Topic: Needing help  (Read 3685 times)

Offline oggysmum

• Kitten
  • Slave to: oggy
Re: Needing help
« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2014, 21:38:11 PM »
Hi Hollycat, thank you for reading and replying,I  appreciate it. My vet doesn't think force feeding is the way to go, at least not yet. I have syringe fed Oggy a couple of times and she was a little trooper with it. All I have done these last weeks is research and read about this illness and it's clear the one main thing is to get the cat to eat. I have bought Hills and Royal Canin FLD food by the tray load and every other premium food in the pet store. One of the hard things with FLD is that the cat has a aversion to food and unfortunately for poor Oggy she also is having a reaction to the Destolit meds which make her sick so it's a hard battle. Yesterday she barely ate and was sick and I was questioning every thing and feeling desperate, then today she has had more energy, has eaten small feeds all day and is talking to me and I have hope. She is a little fighter and deserves the best chance she can get, it's just hard to see her like this and from all I have read it will be a long haul but gonna hang in there. I wondered if anyone on here had experience of this disease and knew of food that got their cat eating or any other medications that helped. Thank you for your kind wishes and I will keep posting on Oggys progress.
Anne Marie

Offline hollycat

• Honorary Cat
  • Slave to: Astrophe and Zoonie the Lazoon
« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2014, 19:30:10 PM »
When I first saw your post earlier today I didn't know what Hepatic lipidosis was so I spent a few hours researching it. It appears that there is something you can dobut it involves surgery to insert a feeding tube into the stomach then weeks or months of force feeding Oggy. You need to discuss this with your vet and decide if it is the best thing to do for Oggy.
It will be you who has to feed him via a syringe through the tube, trips back and forth to the vet for blood tests.

I am sorry Oggy is so poorly,

Offline Sue P (Paddysmum)

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Paddy's Mum (Ginger Imposter) [Nov 90- April '11]
  • Slave to: Moray & Malt + my beautiful lost babies - Barley, Mac, Ross, and Tinks RIP babies.
« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2014, 07:43:40 AM »
Hello Oggysmum.  So sorry that Oggy is unwell with this illness.  :hug: :hug:  I'm afraid I cant offer any practical advice either, but would like to say welcome to the forum, and I hope that someone will be able to offer some advice and suggestions, and the rest of us can offer you support and a place to chat through your concerns and experiences.

A big warm "Hi" to Oggy, too.   :welcome:

Online Lyn (Slugsta)

• Royal Cat
  • Slave to: Sky. Bridge babies Candy, Stripey, Chivers, Punky, Cleo and Alfie forever loved.
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2014, 02:40:13 AM »
I am sorry to hear that Oggy is so poorly  :hug: I'm afraid I don't have any experience of this condition, I don't know what to suggest.

Offline oggysmum

• Kitten
  • Slave to: oggy
Needing help
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2014, 01:54:51 AM »
 :(Hi everyone, nice to be here among fellow cat maddies. I am hoping to get some advice from anyone with personal experience of Hepatic Lipidosis as my little Oggy who is almost 17 has unfortunately got this and is very poorly. I am totally new to forums and not too sure how I go about things but really need advice.
Anne Marie

Link to CatChat