Author Topic: My friends don't love cats  (Read 3022 times)

Offline roslily

• Kitten
Re: My friends don't love cats
« Reply #31 on: October 28, 2007, 18:43:40 PM »
I get annoyed with one friend as she has been quite anti-pet inthe past. She isn't horrible to animals or anything, but she just doesn't get why people have pets.  Her mum and dad have dogs.  However she has realised how much our cats mean to us, and when one of them went missing recently she was very supportive.  SHe is also horribly allergic which doesn't help.

To be fair I grew up with a dog and was never that keen on cats, always saw myself as a dog person.  But then I met my partner and he had a cat and I fell in love with her.  Then we got two resuces as well so now we have 3! 

ccmacey

« Reply #30 on: October 28, 2007, 18:39:08 PM »
What sort of friends are they anyway to look down on your personal choices?! If they dont like it, dont come round.

Offline Ralph's mum (angie)

• Super Cat
  • Rainbow Bridge Babies Bob, Max and Ralph 🌈💔
  • Slave to: Harvey and Ruby the mutts!!
« Reply #29 on: October 28, 2007, 17:24:43 PM »
Cats vs friends & family? erm! let me think..... cats rule

Don't know if anyone else does this but i'm terrible for peoples names but if you say max the cats mum etc I remember who the person is  :rofl:
« Last Edit: October 28, 2007, 17:25:18 PM by bobsmum + max's (angie) »
Cats don't come when they are called,
They take a message and get back to you later.
                           Wilfred P. Lampton

Offline Corporal Smokey

• Cat Rescue
  • Hero Cat
  • Amy, Cpl. Smokey and Lord Chester Red Bear <3
« Reply #28 on: October 28, 2007, 17:17:07 PM »
Some of my friends aren't cat people, but they always have lovely things to say about my facebook profile pictures. Like my latest one....

Ashfield and Amber Valley Cats Protection and Cat Chat

http://www.catchat.org/ashfield/cgibin/prtoc.cgi
http://www.ashfieldcats.org.uk
http://www.catchat.org/topcats

True love is rescued. Miss you always Josh and Hope xx

Offline Ela

• Royal Cat
« Reply #27 on: October 28, 2007, 14:41:20 PM »
As long as people dont come and make comments about my cats, I dont really care if they like them or not

I know what you mean but I find that often people don't like them or are scared of them,  just cannot help themselves and have to comment.
RULES ARE FOR THE OBEDIENCE OF FOOLS AND GUIDENCE OF WISE MEN.

Offline Desley (booktigger)

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Molly, my wonderful babe
  • Slave to: Lucy
« Reply #26 on: October 28, 2007, 10:39:37 AM »
I have a friend who's allergic, fortunately, I am on anti-histamines, so if she forgets hers, she just borrows one of mine!!
Please spay your cat

Offline Susanne (urbantigers)

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • PA to Mosi & Kito
« Reply #25 on: October 28, 2007, 10:35:10 AM »
My family aren't really cat people but they like animals in general.  One of my sisters has 2 dogs, the other isn't too keen on pets but my niece has a hamster (and loan of a horse).  We had a dog when I was a child.  They all accept Jaffa and Mosi as part of the family and wouldn't dare not send them birthday presents etc.

I've noticed a couple of friends who aren't particularly cat people go a bit soppy when Mosi's rubbing up agaisnt them and they think I'm not listening  ;D  I was making a cuppa in the kitchen once and heard a male friend talking to Mosi (who was on his lap rubbing his entire body against my friend's arms) in baby talk  ;D

Anyone who visits here does tend to go home wearing a large part of Mosi due to Mosi's friendly nature!  Good job none of them are allergic.

Offline Desley (booktigger)

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Molly, my wonderful babe
  • Slave to: Lucy
« Reply #24 on: October 28, 2007, 10:25:45 AM »
As long as people dont come and make comments about my cats, I dont really care if they like them or not - my ex didn't really like cats, but was always fine at coming here, and did ask genuine questions about them, so sometimes, it is just cos they haven't been round nice cats, and they can change their mind. Me and my friend were talking about something similar last night, she puts up with my talk about cats, and I put up with her talk about babies!! And I dont really mind the fact she doesnt' come round with the baby, cos my cats dont want to be bothered with them anyway!! Plus he's at the crawling and wandering stage now, last friend who came round with a kid of that age was a nightmare!!
Please spay your cat

Offline Ela

• Royal Cat
« Reply #23 on: October 28, 2007, 09:07:13 AM »
Another friend is allergic so she takes an anti-hystamene

We too have a friend like this and she takes a anti-histamine  tab before she comes and she is fine (well sort of). On the occasions she forgets she just sits with a hankie catching the drips  ;D

Offline Purrlishious

• Distinguished Cat
  • Poppy Ruby Dolly
« Reply #22 on: October 27, 2007, 23:15:10 PM »
Cats vs friends & family? erm! let me think..... cats rule

Offline lisa77

• Hero Cat
  • Little Leo..
« Reply #21 on: October 27, 2007, 21:31:03 PM »
Give me a cat any day - I would rather 50 cats than 1 dog !

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #20 on: October 27, 2007, 21:27:36 PM »
I agree with Hannah, its strange to have such extremes between dogs and cats....................maybe its a control thing cos dogs can be controlled and as we all know cats control us  :evillaugh: :evillaugh:

Offline Catcrazymum

• Adult Cat
« Reply #19 on: October 27, 2007, 20:50:37 PM »

As long as cats are not taken into households that then dont want them, then our preferences for cats and/or people or cats and no people are our own  ;D

I agree with you Gill, very true. I can't understand people getting a kitten/cat when they don't like them its totally unfair on the cat :Crazy:

Offline alisonandarchie

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Archie's mum
« Reply #18 on: October 27, 2007, 20:47:37 PM »
Most people I know are like cats but one of my friends cannot bear the feel of fur, she likes cats from a distance but sceeches if they come near :evillaugh:

Offline hannah (weeny)

• Honorary Cat
  • JASPER!!
« Reply #17 on: October 27, 2007, 20:41:38 PM »
i do find it odd how so many people say they hate cats.  especially i find it odd when people who have and love dogs say they hate cats - i mean sure prefer dogs, but to hate cats??  weird.   i will never understand the whole thing where people say they're evil etc....  funny ol world.

least theres plenty of people to love them as much as we do  :Luv:

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #16 on: October 27, 2007, 20:39:42 PM »
If you have cats then that should not worry anyone else, just as if they dont , shouldnt worry you.

As long as cats are not taken into households that then dont want them, then our preferences for cats and/or people or cats and no people are our own  ;D

Offline Catcrazymum

• Adult Cat
« Reply #15 on: October 27, 2007, 20:31:51 PM »
I can't believe a four year old strangled a cat, how unbelievably horrible my daughter is four and she loves cats and is so gentle with Twink and Star.
My mum is allergic to cats and rabbits , she loves cats and absolutely adores my kittens (with antihistamines!),
when i was 10 I really wanted a cat so my mum researched cats with really fine hair we found a  went to pick one up from a breeder (can't remember the breed of cat??), we brought it home... we had to take it back an hour later as my mum was allergic to it I cried all night :'(
Anyway I love my cats and they love me thats all that matters  :Luv: :Luv:

Offline swampmaxmum

• Super Cat
  • SwampMax happy on their sunny French balcon 05!
« Reply #14 on: October 27, 2007, 19:19:24 PM »
I have a good friend who has to take anti histamine when he comes around here too. I understand people's reluctance to touch cats if it makes them sneeze and their eyes run! It's those who are afraid of cats - or hate cats - that I just don't get. Same friend has broken up with his partner - I knew partner was no good as was a catphobe  :evillaugh:

However sometimes the issue's cultural, which is harder. I have a friend whose wife is Zambian. She is a lovely, warm person. She doesn't either like or dislike cats, but her little brother strangled a cat when he was 4 years old. This was considered a regrettable thing to do, but in some way understandable as cats aren't considered to be worth much and in fact, sometimes in certain (not all!) African cultures, they are considered unlucky - especially white cats.  I can't imagine what I'd do if I saw a child do that. I find it so dreadful that just thinking about it makes me feel ill. Her husband (my friend) understands my repulsion which he shares (as a non cat-owning person but he quite likes cats). I just never want to run into the brother!

I have another close friend who is terrified of all animals and shrieks and takes cover when my cats go near her. I told her she's ridiculous and she says "I know".....that's a real irrational phobia. We got around it by my just keeping them a safe distance from her (they went to sleep, thankfully) and it doesn't stop her coming around. She's got a serious illness and isn't afraid of anything else. V weird.

Offline JackSpratt

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #13 on: October 27, 2007, 18:57:11 PM »
Another friend is allergic so she takes an antihistamine before she comes round & she is fine! She plays with Leo & has him on her lap!

My partner has a friend whose allergies are so severe his eyes literally go red and swollen and start to run. He also gets asthma(sp) and starts to get a tightness in his chest if he's at our house too long. If our cats approach him he still fusses them though. He doesn't dislike the cats - just the effect they have on him!

Carrie, Jack,Toby and Parsley ~ Love and miss you all always.x

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • PA to Mosi & Kito
« Reply #12 on: October 27, 2007, 18:49:46 PM »
She came over & thought Leo was evil !!

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Offline puddypaws

• Hero Cat
  • Mum to Sophie and Oscar
« Reply #11 on: October 27, 2007, 18:42:58 PM »
Yeah, we can all see how evil Leo is!!!!  He is a wonderful cat and anybody who disagrees should be sat on (and if I do it, they'll be sorry)  :evillaugh:

Offline lisa77

• Hero Cat
  • Little Leo..
« Reply #10 on: October 27, 2007, 18:26:02 PM »
Funny you posted this as my friend said exactly the same thing when I got Leo.. She dislikes cats too & thinks they are spiteful! When she used to come see me when I moved home to mums for a bit, she was scared of Marly who is the biggest, softest gentle giant you could come accross.. he is always very friendly to any visitor & will always jump on everyones laps.. well she went mad & got really scared ! I assured her he only wanted a cuddle.

Anyway, she called me & asked me to meet her one night after work. I explained that I rarley leave the flat now of an evening due to the fact Leo would have been n his own all day. She couldnt understand what I was talking about & really couldnt understand. I said "But you are welcome over here, I will do some dinner" She came over & thought Leo was evil !!  (LEO ???!!! aA gentle fluff ball!) I was actually quite offended really. I couldnt care less if any of my frinds hate cats.. I love them & always have, always will ! If she doesnt like it she doesnt have to come over !

Another friend is allergic so she takes an anti-hystamene (sorry if spelt wrong) before she comes round & she is fine ! She plays with Leo & has him on her lap !

Offline Ellie

• Super Cat
« Reply #9 on: October 27, 2007, 18:01:38 PM »
My sister is very anti-cat  >:( even although we were both brought up with numerous cats and dogs.

In her opinion all they do is mess up the house and your clothes  :tired: So what I say  :sneaky:

She would never be cruel to any animal and has some tropical fish as they don't leave hairs or messy pawprints anywhere  :tired:

To each their own I suppose. My friends know how I feel about my babies  :Luv: Love my love my cats  :evillaugh: :evillaugh:

Offline Catcrazymum

• Adult Cat
« Reply #8 on: October 27, 2007, 17:50:35 PM »
 I appreciate all your comments :thanks: :hug:, i just wanted to have a moan!! i agree everyone is differant and has differant interests ect, my mother in law is totally dog mad and her babies are her jack Russel and yorkie (who are really gorgeous), My closest friend loves my kittens, dog and rabbits she gives them plenty of attention and cuddles when she comes round, she just said she just wouldn't have any herself, so I'm okay about that!...
although her 6 year old daughter is in love with my kitties and is trying very hard to change her mind! ;D   

Offline lucy

• Hero Cat
  • Xanthe
« Reply #7 on: October 27, 2007, 17:16:37 PM »
Not all my friends have animals, but it is only those with allergies that keep away from Xanthe which is fair enough. They are never rude about her though, that would annoy me! My Mum always claims the only pet she wants is a pet rock, but she is very happy to sit and cuddle other people's cats!

Offline Ela

• Royal Cat
« Reply #6 on: October 27, 2007, 17:07:59 PM »
Some people just aren't animal people and as long as they just go "not my cup of tea" and don't hurt animals I have no problem with them.

I would agree with that sentiment but I do find that many people who don't like cats or sometimes are scared of them are quite vocal about the fact and that is what I do not like and would not tolerate by a friend. I think if they respected me as a friend they would keep their mouths shut. As indeed I would about any hobbies they may indulge in that I may abhor.
« Last Edit: October 27, 2007, 17:09:15 PM by Ela »

Offline Sam (Fussy_Furball)

• Marketing/Lost&Found/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Foxy (RIP), Zephyr (RIP), Rosina (RIP) & Oliver
« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2007, 17:02:32 PM »
I have friends who are more "doggy" but I am very suspicious of people who don't like cats or dogs (or furries in general)  and am pleased to say I don't have any friends like that.  All my friends have some sort of pet ... birds / cats/ dogs / snakes / hamsters.
« Last Edit: October 27, 2007, 17:04:41 PM by Sam (Fussy_Furball) »
In ancient times cats were worshiped as gods; they have not forgotten this.

Offline JackSpratt

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2007, 17:01:31 PM »
Yep, I've had friends who aren't fond of cats. They were never outrightly nasty about my mob, though and they generally changed their minds (even if it was just about mine!) after visiting. Some people just aren't animal people and as long as they just go "not my cup of tea" and don't hurt animals I have no problem with them. Each to their own. (Even if their own is a LOT less fun than being around animals! ;))

Carrie, Jack,Toby and Parsley ~ Love and miss you all always.x

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • PA to Mosi & Kito
« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2007, 17:01:05 PM »
I have to say that most of mine have come around to my way of thinking!  They may not want a cat themselves but they think Jaffa and Mosi are cute!  They know my boys are important to me and wouldn't dare say or do anything 'anti cat' in my presence!

Offline Ela

• Royal Cat
« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2007, 16:58:25 PM »
Near our back door so it can be easily seen is a notice which says This House is for the comfort of our cats, Visitors must take second place, If you love cats you will understand, If you don't, what are you doing here? To be honest I have no time for anyone who can call any animals and they would not be welcome in my house or as a friend.

Offline Catcrazymum

• Adult Cat
My friends don't love cats
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2007, 16:43:58 PM »
 Hi just wandered if anyone else has had friends/colleagues who aren't so keen on our fluffy friends? :'(, its just that i have only 2 friends who actually like cats! -one has a cat called meg (such a cutie) and the other is a vet nurse. all my other friends think I'm mad and wouldn't have cats or any other pets I think part of the reason for this is because they all have children (like me I have a 4 year old and a 7 year old) and because they have children they don't want animals around them, one of my friends (a mum from school) came round today and said 'why did you get them??!!' (referring to my gorgeous kittens) and i said 'because I love cats' and she said 'oh i don't like cats, they malt and scratch everything' I said I didn't mind if they did' anyway lets say I quickly changed the subject because I didn't want to cause an argument!! >:(, has anyone else had this kind of experience?

Link to CatChat