Author Topic: Question about getting another cat.  (Read 1920 times)

Offline Desley (booktigger)

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Molly, my wonderful babe
  • Slave to: Lucy
Re: Question about getting another cat.
« Reply #13 on: March 26, 2008, 16:16:56 PM »
I would see what the rescue say, they will know what he was like at the rescue, and whether he would appreciate a friend.
Please spay your cat

Offline mandxx

• Kitten
« Reply #12 on: March 26, 2008, 16:10:57 PM »
Tom is 5. He does love a cuddle but on his term which I think is fair enough. I don't really want a kitten but was thinking of something about 2-3 yrs???

What do you think? :wow:

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #11 on: March 26, 2008, 15:55:48 PM »
I am the same Sharon, I wont home a young cat with an older one - mine have never accepted anything under the age of 2, as they just want to play and mine dont.
Please spay your cat

Offline Canterbury_cats (Sharon)

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Super Cat
  • Leo(Bridge babe 4/10) & Bella my darling Siamese
    • http://www.canterbury.cats.org.uk
« Reply #10 on: March 26, 2008, 15:53:54 PM »
One lady last year had two 18yrs old cats, one died she thought a kitten would help with its loss. However the puss was quite relieved the sibling had gone because they never had a good relationship. She wanted a kitten, i told her not such a good idea. Old puss died late October last year and she rang me back to thank me for the advice and her old cat had had a lovely time in its remaining months. She came back to me and month or so later and took on 2 of Pinkbears feral kittens that are now beautiful lovely cats. So some people do listen.!
Cannot save the world, but if everyone does something we can have a jolly good job trying too....

Canterbury & District Cats Protection
http://www.canterbury.cats.org.uk

Please use our VetUK link on the Home Page of our website.
We want your old used inkjets & mobile phones!

Offline Canterbury_cats (Sharon)

• Super Cat
  • Leo(Bridge babe 4/10) & Bella my darling Siamese
    • http://www.canterbury.cats.org.uk
« Reply #9 on: March 26, 2008, 15:51:16 PM »
I had a person ring me up yesterday with an adult female of 7yrs old who was really grumpy and not a lap cat, was very terroritial and she wanted to adopt a kitten for company.

Despite being in the rehoming business i was on the phone good half hour telling her why this wasnt a good idea and could lead to major disaster with her existing cat getting stressed etc and leaving home...

She took it all on board and some of the things i said she seemed to recognise as being true.. Sometimes people just think of themselves and not their existing cat even though it may not be the best of companions to them.

I am not keen rehoming kitten with senior moggs over 12 yrs old as i think they deserve abit of peace.. Call it wrong or not but i have said that its probably fine with a older cat but any cat of senior age unless its very kitteny still, doesnt need the hassel of a youngster in the house. Some people agree some dont...!
Cannot save the world, but if everyone does something we can have a jolly good job trying too....

Canterbury & District Cats Protection
http://www.canterbury.cats.org.uk

Please use our VetUK link on the Home Page of our website.
We want your old used inkjets & mobile phones!

Offline mandxx

• Kitten
« Reply #8 on: March 26, 2008, 15:29:56 PM »
Thank you all for your replies and advice. Think what I shall do is maybe talk to the ppl we got Tom from and see what he was like with other cats and take it from there. :thanks:

Offline Leanne

• Super Cat
  • Milo & Jess
  • Slave to: Jess & Milo
« Reply #7 on: March 26, 2008, 15:15:39 PM »
We wondered this for ages, and then in January decided to take the plunge and Milo arrived.

NAWT were fantastic and said if it didn't work out then they would take Milo back no questions. Milo arrived and straight away Jess knew there was a newcomer in his house, we had planned to introduce them slowly over the course of a few days, but Milo managed to escape out the bedroom that night and they met for the first time.

I think we have been VERY lucky, there has been chasing and playing even now, and I think they are still trying to sort out who is boss. The only hissing we've had was when Jess came home from his stay at the vets and was a bit sore and Milo wanted to play. Sometimes I wonder whether taking on Milo has upset Jess given what we've just been though with him, but deep down I don't think it has as they do seem to get on and we all cuddle up together, and Milo will spend hours cleaning Jess.

Its a gamble to take on another cat you will never know how its going to go, but with patients and being prepared for a little hard work it can be very rewarding and worthwile, my hubby was dead set against having another cat but his been won round now.

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2008, 15:05:43 PM »
As Mark said there are exceptions and I have two of them  :rofl:

My two birmans who are the newest arrivals dont get on with either my other male or female cat, both birmans are neutered boys.

It maybe easeir to bring in one new cat rather than two, cos my first two had never met until they were side by side in the car coming here and they love each other.

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2008, 15:00:32 PM »
Some rescues do let you 'test' them out first, I have done it, but a week isn't long enough with cats, I always ask that people give cats at least a month, unless there are major issues that could risk one of the cats health. Some cats never get on, but learn how to live together, Molly and Tiger spent 15 months together, but hated each other - just one lived upstairs and one downstairs (this was their choice, I have an open plan house and dont shut most of the doors).
Please spay your cat

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
    • AnimalAid - Support Humane Charities
« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2008, 14:56:59 PM »
What Gill said - although neutered males are often less aggressive than females (to the point of soppy) and friction is usually between girls. That is very general though as there are exceptions.  :Crazy:
DO NOT BREED OR BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE

I believe I am not interested to know whether Vivisection produces results that are profitable to the human race or doesn't. To know that the results are profitable to the race would not remove my hostility to it.  Mark Twain

Offline tigerbaby

• Super Cat
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2008, 14:56:14 PM »
I would love to adopt another cat. My problem is a. partner thinks 1 cat is enough (esp. since we're planning to get a dog in the future too) and b. I don't know how Jameson would react, and the last thing I would want is to upset him or make him stressed.

If we would ever adopt another cat, it would have to be on Jamesons terms, ie I would want to test the cat out first (foster for a week or so) and see how they would get on. I don't know if cat rescues and shelters do this, but I've heard this has happened with rescue dogs before (my friend had to give a dog back, cos it didn't get on with her existing dog)
Dogs have owners. Cats have staff.

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2008, 14:51:52 PM »
Its very hard to advise cos its really so hit and miss  :hug:

Offline mandxx

• Kitten
Question about getting another cat.
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2008, 12:28:29 PM »
Hi I have one rescue cat at the minute and would like to get another younger cat. Tom is 5 neutered but a bit of a grump. I'm sure he was with other cats before being homed with me, but I'm not sure if I should be looking for a female or would he get on with another male? Ive had 2 cats before but got them at the same time.
Any advice would be great. Thanks x

Link to CatChat