Author Topic: A very sad question  (Read 4559 times)

Offline Susanne (urbantigers)

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • PA to Mosi & Kito
Re: A very sad question
« Reply #29 on: June 17, 2008, 17:43:17 PM »
The body is what binds them to this earthly life.  When you die, what makes a person (or a cat) a person - the spirit, soul, whatever you want to call it - no longer resides in the body.  The body becomes an empty vessel and is no longer, imo, part of that person.   I recall going to see my father in hospital shortly after he'd died.  What struck me was that there was just no-one there anymore.  He didn't look like he was asleep, he looked as though he had left his body. 

Offline Bazsmum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Bazzy Bazilla
    • The Animal Rescue Site
« Reply #28 on: June 17, 2008, 13:56:10 PM »
It is a part of them.....but in life only.....everyone has different views and opinions on this subject....I respect them all! Just hard with our human emotions getting in the way all the time to work out what is what, how and why etc!  ;)

ccmacey

« Reply #27 on: June 17, 2008, 13:53:49 PM »
I dont understand people that say "thats not them" when its just their dead body there, of course it was them, they lived their life through that body so it has to be a part of them.

Offline Bazsmum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Bazzy Bazilla
    • The Animal Rescue Site
« Reply #26 on: June 17, 2008, 13:50:55 PM »
Our body is like a vessel.....were abit like daleks really (imo) when you look inside and see what is controlling it looks rather like our brain!  ;)

ccmacey

« Reply #25 on: June 17, 2008, 13:47:25 PM »
No Jack I believe the body returns back to as it was before getting to heaven, thats the way I was meant to put it but obviously not thinking straight yesterday.

The reason I will have all of my pets cremated is because I want the back with me. I do not believe once the sole has left the body, then the body is not them because you live your life through your body so how can it not be a part of you even after death.

Offline Dawn F

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #24 on: June 17, 2008, 09:41:32 AM »
I believe that cremation became more popular after the 1st world war, when huge numbers of people found themselves in the positon of not have much left to bury or even nothing at all - the body being whole became much less taboo. 

That said it is a very personal thing, I've always chosen to cremate my pets because I've heard horror stories of pet rabbits being dug up by foxes and things which I would really hate.  However I can understand that people don't like it, you have to do what suits you.

Offline JackSpratt

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #23 on: June 17, 2008, 09:34:08 AM »
We have a difference of opinion. I believe all of your body has to be as it was when you get to heaven

I find that kind of sad - what about when people are in really bad accidents? Don't they get into Heaven? (That's not a dig, by the way. I'm genuinely asking!)

Susanne, yes I found that explanation reassuring too.

I was told the meanings behind burial and cremation. (May have been Desley actually!) Burial is about giving your body back to the earth, and cremation is seen as "setting the spirit free." I kind of assume when things pass their spirit is set free automatically.

Carrie, Jack,Toby and Parsley ~ Love and miss you all always.x

Offline Desley (booktigger)

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Molly, my wonderful babe
  • Slave to: Lucy
« Reply #22 on: June 17, 2008, 07:49:03 AM »
i do too, all my family want to be cremated.
Please spay your cat

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • PA to Mosi & Kito
« Reply #21 on: June 16, 2008, 22:30:58 PM »
I've always preffered cremation to burial for people as well as pets, tbh.  I'm not overly bothered but I prefer the idea of the body being dispersed into the world as ashes than slowly rotting in the ground.  I would choose to be cremated when I die, but I don't have particularly strong feelings about it.  Once we (or our pets) die, the body isn't needed anymore so I don't really care what happens to it.  But it's the kind of subject about which people do have different opinions so each to their own.  The only thing I regret about Magpie is not cutting off some of his fur to keep.

Offline Desley (booktigger)

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Molly, my wonderful babe
  • Slave to: Lucy
« Reply #20 on: June 16, 2008, 22:01:27 PM »
i am the same as you Susanne, I have only brought 2 of mine back, but I have no room to bury them and can't get my head round cremation (I would also have to have a lot of space for them) - I much prefer to look at my photo's and think of the funny things they did.
Please spay your cat

ccmacey

« Reply #19 on: June 16, 2008, 21:36:48 PM »
If it's any consolation, a loved animal is never left where ever you bury it. It's spirit is always there. When I was talking to a friend about losing LJ (I knew it was coming and was preparing myself) she said she believes the animals spirit follows the people it loved and it's never left behind. I found comfort in the idea that any of the animals I'd loved and lost would be able to do that; check up on me from time to time to see how I was.

That is nice.  When Magpie died, I didn't really care what happened to his body (he was cremated but it wasn't a private cremation and I had no desire to keep his ashes) as I knew his spirit would live on and I didn't need to know where his body was in order to remember him.

We have a difference of opinion. I believe all of your body has to be as it was when you get to heaven

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • PA to Mosi & Kito
« Reply #18 on: June 16, 2008, 20:31:19 PM »
If it's any consolation, a loved animal is never left where ever you bury it. It's spirit is always there. When I was talking to a friend about losing LJ (I knew it was coming and was preparing myself) she said she believes the animals spirit follows the people it loved and it's never left behind. I found comfort in the idea that any of the animals I'd loved and lost would be able to do that; check up on me from time to time to see how I was.

That is nice.  When Magpie died, I didn't really care what happened to his body (he was cremated but it wasn't a private cremation and I had no desire to keep his ashes) as I knew his spirit would live on and I didn't need to know where his body was in order to remember him.

Offline Michelle (furbabystar)

• Royal Cat
  • My Baby - Issey
« Reply #17 on: June 16, 2008, 13:46:14 PM »
Just mad that someone has hit him with such force, I wish his fate was peaceful for him but it wasnt, he didnt deserve that.

CC Hun,  that fact that he was hit with such force means it would have been instant and he wouldnt have known a thing about it...Try and take some comfort from that if you can xx

ccmacey

« Reply #16 on: June 16, 2008, 13:14:05 PM »
Thanks gals  :hug:

Max is getting cremated, im taking him to vets for 2pm. I know he couldnt get away with running the streets forever, he was out more than in and the roads are terrible around there. Just mad that someone has hit him with such force, I wish his fate was peaceful for him but it wasnt, he didnt deserve that.

Offline madkittyrescue

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Super Cat
  • Sarah, slave to the 4 legged furball gang!
    • Sunny Harbour Cat & Kitten Rescue
« Reply #15 on: June 16, 2008, 10:57:37 AM »
so sorry to hear about your aunts cat cc.....  we have buried many of our past cats but those ever so special to us we have had cremated and have placed them in planters around our decking area.  That way, ifin the unlikely event we should ever move we can take the little ones with us.    :hug:
Sunny Harbour Cat & Kitten Rescue
Covering Fife, Edinburgh & Lothians

http://www.sunnyharbour.org.uk

Offline Kirst

• Moderating Staff
  • Honorary Cat
  • Slave to: Beavis , Jerry , Gizmo , Stevie and Fredcat
« Reply #14 on: June 16, 2008, 10:27:57 AM »
We lost Sotty on the road years ago - when we got him he had already been run over three times and had his pelvis pinned - so i know how it feels!

We have always had our babes cremated individually - Jamie the dogs ashes were scattered in his favourite walkies spot , and Oscars ashes are under a beautiful flowering tree (the name of which escapes me but its very pretty) in the garden. I very much doubt we will leave our house for a long time yet , and even when we do Here is where Oscar was happiest and he wouldnt want to leave!

Offline Gail Bengal Slave

• Moderating Staff
  • Super Cat
  • My Darling Zak
« Reply #13 on: June 16, 2008, 09:12:33 AM »
Im gutted here. my auntys cat has been killed ths afternoon, and I have said I would take care of him for her, dont know what else I could of done really  :(

She is beside herself and cant believe it was actually him.

I said I would bury him in my garden but I know I will be moving out of here, and I couldnt leave any pet behind. She cant face burrying him in hers and the soil is also rock solid with cabels underneath.

So what should I do?

He was such a sweet thing only 3 years old, but this was not his first on the road.

So so Sorry to read this -  Have him a private cremation and collect his ashes - then he will still be with you always and not let behind when you move or left out in the cold on a winter night.

Many Many hugs to you  :hug: :hug: :hug: xxxx
(this is a bit close to me as I lost a babe to the road so it brings back that dreaadful night )

A Meow Massages your heart.

Offline JackSpratt

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #12 on: June 16, 2008, 08:55:25 AM »
Oh, CC I'm so sorry.  :hug:

Carrie, Jack,Toby and Parsley ~ Love and miss you all always.x

Offline alisonandarchie

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Archie's mum
« Reply #11 on: June 16, 2008, 08:44:31 AM »
So sorry to hear about your Aunts cat :hug:

ccmacey

« Reply #10 on: June 16, 2008, 00:31:55 AM »
I dont want to sound awful but if he were my cat I would, although this is what i am thinking of doing. I know she cant pay that much cos of her situation but I dont want to disrespect him by not getting him cremated.

Im so angry that someone has been able to do this to him and not even give a pooey to stop. He is in a bad way, I had to look at him and kiss him to say my goodbyes, and I noticed his jaw is broken rather brutaily, one hell of a smash  :(

Poor little man didnt deserve this, nobody would of.

Sorry Maxamillion, we knew you were always running the streets but didnt expect you just not to be there.

Offline Puffball (Louise)

• Senior Cat
« Reply #9 on: June 16, 2008, 00:14:54 AM »
So sorry to hear about your aunt's cat  :hug:

I know what you mean about not wanting to move and leave them behind. If it was me I'd go for cremation and put the ashes in a huge patio tub with a nice specimen plant/minature tree, then I could take him with me when I move and sit him in a sunny spot of the garden

RIP little one

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • PA to Mosi & Kito
« Reply #8 on: June 15, 2008, 23:06:05 PM »
Sorry to hear about your aunt's cat :(

Cremation sounds like the best option - your vet will be able to sort that out - but there are also pet cemetaries if your aunt would prefer for him to be buried.  I don't know if there are any near you - guess your vet would be the best person to ask about that too.

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #7 on: June 15, 2008, 22:34:53 PM »
So sorry to hear about your aunts cat, what was his name?

I understand the problem cos Kocka is buried in my garden and I want to move from here eventually , although that wasnt on the agenda at all at the time.  Very hard problem cc cos I dont like creamation but maybe your aunt will agree if you sort for her  :hug:

Offline bunglycat

• Honorary Cat
  • Ginny B.Winston, Fifi, Smartie ,Bungly,Sophie,RIP
  • Slave to: Pandora , Cody, Smudgie , Blueberry , Angel and Merlin . RIP. Ginny B , Winston , Smartie, Bungly and Sophie and Fifi
« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2008, 22:05:54 PM »
So sorry to hear about your Aunties cat
Cats i have lost i have had cremated as i have moved about a fair bit and couldn''t bear to leave them behind, so they come with me !

« Last Edit: June 15, 2008, 22:06:49 PM by bunglycat »

Offline woowoo

• Senior Cat
    • Four paws pet rescue Cumbria South
  • Slave to: Basil,Fred,Molly,Trevor,Pepe,Mabel, Odin(RIP) and the four dogs.
« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2008, 22:05:45 PM »
Sorry to hear about your Aunties cat. Is there anywhere that you like to go for a walk where you could bury him. My Husband and I did this with our cat. Other than that I would suggest cremation like Helen says. Approach your Auntie about it and just explain that he would always be near her then.

Offline Gillian Harvey

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Sam RIP
    • Scruffy Joe's Cat Grooming & Cat Sitting
« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2008, 22:04:38 PM »
Oh sorry, we had the same idea at the same time Helen.

Offline Gillian Harvey

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Sam RIP
    • Scruffy Joe's Cat Grooming & Cat Sitting
« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2008, 22:02:04 PM »
Im gutted here. my auntys cat has been killed ths afternoon, and I have said I would take care of him for her, dont know what else I could of done really  :(

I said I would bury him in my garden but I know I will be moving out of here, and I couldnt leave any pet behind. She cant face burrying him in hers and the soil is also rock solid with cabels underneath.

So what should I do?

He was such a sweet thing only 3 years old, but this was not his first on the road.

So sorry  :hug: Could you have him cremated CC? I don't know if she would want that, but an individual cremation would mean she would have his ashes in a little casket with his name on. Your vet will use the services of a crematorium, so they would be able to arrange it.

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Save a life draw/Commercial Assistant/Moderating Staff
  • Royal Cat
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2008, 21:59:51 PM »
Sorry to hear that CC  :hug:  Would your aunt consider getting him cremated?  That way she could keep hold of his ashes or sprinkle them around a favourite plant in her garden  :hug:

RIP little one, safe and sound at the Bridge until your Mum is ready to collect you xx

ccmacey

A very sad question
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2008, 21:56:01 PM »

So what should I do?

Link to CatChat