Author Topic: Worming Advice  (Read 1845 times)

Offline Team Svartalfheims

• Super Cat
  • Minxy Moo
    • Svartalfheim's Norwegian Forest Cats
Re: Worming Advice
« Reply #8 on: September 25, 2007, 11:16:22 AM »
I use Milbemax on mine as I can never get Bilbo to swallow one and a half of the XL Drontal and the Milbemax pills are tiny so he doesn't mind them! Drontal is cheaper than Milbemax (and available without a prescription) and I'm pretty sure it covers all the same things so it's worth giving that a go first.

You can visit my cats at http://www.svartalfheim.co.uk 

Offline Ela

• Royal Cat
« Reply #7 on: September 25, 2007, 11:05:51 AM »
My vet gave me a little plunger

I can't use those things very well. I find finger at back of throat much easier. Somehow no matter how the cat is , even the 'they who must be obeyed' type I can give pills.
RULES ARE FOR THE OBEDIENCE OF FOOLS AND GUIDENCE OF WISE MEN.

Offline sixfurballs

• Senior Cat
  • Bronte, Dino, Huxley & Heidi
« Reply #6 on: September 25, 2007, 10:00:17 AM »
I always use the Drontal tablets and they do seem to be very good. It lived in fear of having to give my cats tablets and always got hubby to do it, but now he works away from home quite a lot and I have to get on with it. It's not so bad once you have done it and maybe better just to get the tablets so that you can try giving them to them. My vet gave me a little plunger - you put the tablet onto the end of if and then once you have the plunger in the cat's mouth just push down on the inner tube (like an injection but without needles) and it means the tablet gets further down and gives them less of a chance to work it out of their mouths.

Offline Desley (booktigger)

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Molly, my wonderful babe
  • Slave to: Lucy
« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2007, 08:23:54 AM »
Droncit spot on doesn't cover all kinds, but Profender does, I think. I personally use Milbemax, as I can't get Drontal down in one, and end up with cats foaming at the mouth. My foster mum was done with STronghold and Droncit, that way she was done for fleas, both worms and ear mites.
Please spay your cat

Offline Ela

• Royal Cat
« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2007, 08:20:25 AM »
Panacur is very good and are suppose to be palatable
Unless they have brought a new one out very recently Panacur does not cover the tapeworm related to the flea.
They aren't showing signs of worms either but figure whilst they are being deflead they can be dewormed.
Cats/kittens only show signs of worms when the burden of worms is too great got the cat/kitten to comfortably sustain.
RULES ARE FOR THE OBEDIENCE OF FOOLS AND GUIDENCE OF WISE MEN.

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Save a life draw/Commercial Assistant/Moderating Staff
  • Royal Cat
« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2007, 22:36:40 PM »
I use the Drontal tablets for the boys, they cover both tape and roundworm.  The tablets are small enough to be hidden in a big blob of Dairylea which the boys hoover up none the wiser  :evillaugh:

Offline Sam (Fussy_Furball)

• Marketing/Lost&Found/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Foxy (RIP), Zephyr (RIP), Rosina (RIP) & Oliver
« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2007, 19:37:59 PM »
Panacur is very good and are suppose to be palatable ... you can buy them from VetUK.

http://www.vetuk.co.uk/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=17_43

If you click on the links button at the top of the page then go the vet supplies section you will find a link that means Purrs will get money as an associate.

In ancient times cats were worshiped as gods; they have not forgotten this.

Offline Sootyca

• Super Cat
Worming Advice
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2007, 19:09:45 PM »
Just about to order some flea treatment for the kitties and thought I would get some wormer at the same time but having never wormed before I haven't a clue what I am looking for!  I'm sure it will be cheaper doing it myself than getting the vet to do it.  They aren't showing signs of worms either but figure whilst they are being deflead they can be dewormed.

Ideally I would like one that can be applied at the back of the neck, like Frontline flea thingy.  There is a Droncit Spot On but I'm not sure whether that covers all the varieties of worms.

If I have to go for tablets which are the best ones for crushing in food - I haven't had to give either of them tablets yet so don't know how they would take them. :)  I'm guessing, not very well!!! :)

Thanks,

Karen
x

Link to CatChat