Author Topic: Jumpy won't take his tablets  (Read 5680 times)

Offline lilycat

• Senior Cat
  • Lilycat
Re: Jumpy won't take his tablets
« Reply #27 on: September 21, 2007, 11:29:35 AM »
Pinkbear, you absolutely have my sympathy - I'm waiting for the day someone invents a tablet that really is palatable to cats.

Oh happy, happy day......

Offline DaveD

• Super Cat
    • Tinting History
  • Slave to: Bramble and Lily
« Reply #26 on: September 20, 2007, 15:00:56 PM »
This might sound unlikely, but ice cream goes down well - I've caught all of mine enthusiastically licking bowls clean. I now avoid buying or making certain flavours as a result!
« Last Edit: September 21, 2007, 11:32:10 AM by DaveD »

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Save a life draw/Commercial Assistant/Moderating Staff
  • Royal Cat
« Reply #25 on: September 20, 2007, 01:41:49 AM »
Well, the little  :censored: won't eat Dairylea either...  :Crazy: :scared:

:what: Is he crazy?  Looks like the turkey is the best bet now then - good luck  ;D

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #24 on: September 19, 2007, 16:18:28 PM »
Sometimes tablets are coated for reasons other than taste so it would be worth double checking with your vet that they can be crushed  ;D

Offline Bazsmum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Bazzy Bazilla
    • The Animal Rescue Site
« Reply #23 on: September 18, 2007, 21:59:42 PM »
 :hug: :hug: :hug:  ;)

Offline Pinkbear (Julie)

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Honorary Cat
  • Where are we supposed to sleep, then?
« Reply #22 on: September 18, 2007, 21:28:00 PM »
Okay, I'll give the turkey stuff a go, then.  ;)

Why doesn't he have Tilly's tastes? I have to fight her off when I'm trying to get the tablets inside him.  :tired:

One thing I am determined, though, is that his last months won't be remembered as a constant struggle to medicate him. I still cry when I think of Henry. He used to love me so much but ended up running whenever I got near him...  :'( :'(

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
    • AnimalAid - Support Humane Charities
« Reply #21 on: September 18, 2007, 21:09:30 PM »
Honestly Julie, I tried everything but the wafer-thin turkey or chicken works well with clapton as you can seal the tablet in it. 65p a pack in Tesco (2 sandwich size  mattessons)

I naively tried the pill-giver with kylie when I got her. and she fought tooth & nail. Eventually I gave up and put a pill on the floor which she assumed was a treat  :evillaugh:
« Last Edit: September 18, 2007, 21:10:13 PM by Mark »
DO NOT BREED OR BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE

I believe I am not interested to know whether Vivisection produces results that are profitable to the human race or doesn't. To know that the results are profitable to the race would not remove my hostility to it.  Mark Twain

Offline Gwen

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #20 on: September 18, 2007, 21:09:25 PM »

The only option left is to crush them in his cat food. I hope the taste of the coated one doesn't stop him eating that now!  :shify:

Right from the time he was a kitten, he's tried every trick in the book to wind me up!  :P

Anyone want a cat...?  :evillaugh:

Yes please,I'll sweap him with my sisters GSD do you mind? :evillaugh:
Love me,love my animals.

Offline Pinkbear (Julie)

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #19 on: September 18, 2007, 21:01:59 PM »

The only option left is to crush them in his cat food. I hope the taste of the coated one doesn't stop him eating that now!  :shify:

Right from the time he was a kitten, he's tried every trick in the book to wind me up!  :P

Anyone want a cat...?  :evillaugh:

Offline Gwen

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #18 on: September 17, 2007, 16:25:21 PM »
We had lamb yesterday, so I managed to hide the pills in a bit of lamb fat last night, but that's run out now.

Off to get some Dairylea

:sigh:

Can I have a dairylea and tomato sandwich pls and a cup of tea?  ta :evillaugh:
Love me,love my animals.

Offline Pinkbear (Julie)

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #17 on: September 17, 2007, 14:13:34 PM »
We had lamb yesterday, so I managed to hide the pills in a bit of lamb fat last night, but that's run out now.

Off to get some Dairylea

:sigh:

Offline Felix (Caroline)

• Hero Cat
  • Simba
« Reply #16 on: September 17, 2007, 14:06:14 PM »
Just gave our three their worming tabs before, did try it with a bit of butter this time Sabre took two goes but done it in the end :scared: Our Chris had to hold them :scared:
Caroline xx

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
    • AnimalAid - Support Humane Charities
« Reply #15 on: September 16, 2007, 18:56:02 PM »
Clapton loves chicken so much that I wrap his pill oin Mattesons wafer thin chicken or turkey. I don't eat that kind of thing so I buy their small "2 sandwich" packs from Tesco for 65p - lasts 3 days. The best I have found is prosiutto (sp) as it sticks to itself so they can't see or smell the pill.
DO NOT BREED OR BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE

I believe I am not interested to know whether Vivisection produces results that are profitable to the human race or doesn't. To know that the results are profitable to the race would not remove my hostility to it.  Mark Twain

Offline DaveD

• Super Cat
    • Tinting History
  • Slave to: Bramble and Lily
« Reply #14 on: September 16, 2007, 15:35:39 PM »
I find that butter, or even margerine, is popular, but you need to check that the pill has gone down and not been eaten around. Sonia has 3 pills a day and, at the moment, putting it in food with gravy works, but every now and then I have to change tactics!

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #13 on: September 16, 2007, 15:19:52 PM »
Defurums only work here if i top them off with more malt paste  :evillaugh:

Does jumpy like raw food? My lot will swallow cubed steak with minimal chewing so i make a hole in it with scisscors and slot the pill in.

It depends on the drug but could you grind it, mix with a little water and squirt in his mouth? It wont taste nice but would do in the short term while you figure out another plan. Do check they are not an irritant or slow release type tho.

stripeytiger

« Reply #12 on: September 16, 2007, 14:42:31 PM »
I hope the dairylea works.

This topic is so useful  :wow:  my older cats are impossible with tablets, wish i'd discovered this info earlier  :doh:

Offline Gwen

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #11 on: September 16, 2007, 13:01:04 PM »
Hmmm.. I know! :innocent:

After 4 months of the Webbox stuff 4 times a day, he just won't touch it anymore.  :(

I hope I solve this one easily, because my Henry passed away through not taking his tablets. And I tried everything to get him to take them - he scratched me to bits, so much so that the neighbours called the Police as they thought I was being battered by OH.  :shify: Thankfully, Jumpy is more even tempered. But I can't stand the thought of this daily battle to keep him alive... it's not fair on either of us.  :'(

Sorry I am of no help I know but that part made me laugh :rofl:
Love me,love my animals.

Offline Sam (Fussy_Furball)

• Marketing/Lost&Found/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Foxy (RIP), Zephyr (RIP), Rosina (RIP) & Oliver
In ancient times cats were worshiped as gods; they have not forgotten this.

Offline Felix (Caroline)

• Hero Cat
  • Simba
« Reply #9 on: September 16, 2007, 12:44:21 PM »
Hope you can get him to have his tabs soon,my two older cats have always been terrible to have their tabs,I have top use spot ons for everything now :'(
Caroline xx

Offline Pinkbear (Julie)

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #8 on: September 16, 2007, 11:12:40 AM »
Thanks, everybody.  ;D  :hug:

I'm going to try Dairylea and see if that does any good.  ;)

The Defurum treats - the little  :censored: turned his nose up at those too!  :-[

He is already starting to cough again, which means his lungs are filling up with fluid because he won't have his water tablet. The silly little  :censored: He could have them wrapped in gold leaf if he's just blinkin' swollow them! :'(

Hey-ho!  :shy:

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Save a life draw/Commercial Assistant/Moderating Staff
  • Royal Cat
« Reply #7 on: September 16, 2007, 10:21:42 AM »
Hi Lily cat &  :welcome: to Purrs

Sorry to hear Imogen is poorly  :hug:  I don't have any experience of heart failure but I do have lots of experience in giving tablets the 'sly' way!  My cat Tiggy had well over 2000 tablets during the last 4 years of her life, only twice did I have to resort to 'reasonable force'!

For the last two years when she was having 5 tablets a day my main methods were 1 & 2 below (with no 2 being less sticky!), if she were feeling off colour I had to resort to one of the other methods.  One of the tablets she had was Fortekor (for CRF not heart failure) so the tips definitely work with that shape/size of tablet.

1) Primula Cheese in a tube (Chs, Chs & Ham, Chs & Prawn but NOT chs & chive), also works with Dairylea triangles, laughing cow etc, just cut a small chunk off..  Place tablet on finger, squirt a blob of Primula on, Tiggy licked it off, tablet and all. 
2 De-furrum treats (available from places like Pets at Home, Jollyes etc) they are designed for hairballs.  When snapped in half there is a gooey mix which holds the tablet perfectly when you poke it in.  Tiggy loved these and hoovered them up.

3) Wafer thin ham (Bernard Matthews is best as is nice and moist and sticks to itself when folded over).  Wrap tablet in small parcel and hand feed, the tablet may fall out the first time so I roll up in another piece and keep going.  Wafer thin Beef or Chicken is also effective.
4) Cheddar Cheese, experiment with varieties but the moister the better. Shave of a thinnish layer and squish around the tablet.
5) Chicken breast, don't overcook, needs to be nice and moist.  Shave a thinnish layer and again squish around tablet.
6) Tuna, squeeze most of the juiceout and squish around tablet.
7) For powdered meds: Beef sandwich paste (check ingredients NO onion or garlic) mix with a little hot water to make a yummy beefy paste.

From the link Ruth posted to...  1 & 2 are almost foolproof and only failed if Tiggy was feeling too nauseous to eat (which is what one tablets hidden in something yummy was for - she didn't know what was good for her  :innocent:

Both Lucas and Riley have had a course of antibiotics using Dairylea with no problems at all and they have their Drontal tablet hidden in Dairylea too.

Offline Desley (booktigger)

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Molly, my wonderful babe
  • Slave to: Lucy
« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2007, 10:21:16 AM »
Have you tried pill pockets? If it is a battle, you might have to weigh up the benefits of him having the tablets, as hard as that sounds.
Please spay your cat

Offline Bazsmum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Bazzy Bazilla
    • The Animal Rescue Site
« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2007, 02:40:09 AM »

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2007, 01:51:10 AM »
There was a thread but cant find it.........it was a list of things you could do by Tiggy, Susanne, Milly or someone like that.

You can buy little pocket treats to hid em in but dont know where or what they called.

Sure one of the knowing people will read this tomorrow  :hug: :hug:

Offline Pinkbear (Julie)

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2007, 01:47:38 AM »
Hmmm.. I know! :innocent:

After 4 months of the Webbox stuff 4 times a day, he just won't touch it anymore.  :(

I hope I solve this one easily, because my Henry passed away through not taking his tablets. And I tried everything to get him to take them - he scratched me to bits, so much so that the neighbours called the Police as they thought I was being battered by OH.  :shify: Thankfully, Jumpy is more even tempered. But I can't stand the thought of this daily battle to keep him alive... it's not fair on either of us.  :'(

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2007, 01:38:24 AM »
There is a list somewhere of somes tips for all the things you can hid pills in but dont know what thread it was ........oh wait a min I jave idea  :rofl:

Offline Pinkbear (Julie)

• Honorary Cat
Jumpy won't take his tablets
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2007, 01:15:59 AM »
He used to be so good about taking his tablets, but this past couple of weeks, none of my tricks work.  :tired:

I've tried wrapping them in cheese, ham, chicken, and as many kinds of pliable treats I can find. He seems to know there's a pill in there and won't go anywhere near it...  >:( Meanwhile, I am having to keep shoving Tilly out the way because she wants to eat them instead..  :shify:

These Pills are coated because they are unpalatable, so grinding them and sprinkling them might not work either - but that's me next step.

Has anyone got any tips? Can't seem to find any advice on Purrs about this subject.  :shy:

Link to CatChat