Author Topic: Kitten dry food  (Read 1601 times)

stripeytiger

Re: Kitten dry food
« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2007, 12:07:59 PM »
Thanks for your replies. It's been years since I had kittens and I think I probably am over stressing a bit!   :tired:

I feed them three times a day and they get a sachet each of kitten wet a day and I gave them 40g of JWB kitten between them (and 40g of their existing hills kitten) I think that's ok? I've noticed its actually only the bigger kitten that has runny tum so maybe thats it, that he ate more of it and overdid it! I'll try leaving a smaller amount down. It would be a shame after finally finding a dry food that they like if it upsets his tum (they wouldn't eat the whiskas kitten dry or PaH kitten complete). The 5 1/2 month old has been with us just over a month and the 10 week old three weeks. Pre adoption they were eating adult whiskas tinned and go cat respectively. But I changed that over to kitten wet food and they were fine.

I've just bought a new camera so i'll post some photo's when I work it out!  ;D
Katharine

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2007, 17:26:36 PM »
They probably just scoffed too much of the JWB, try it again but in restricted amounts and see. Its not a food known for causing bad tummies.

If they wont eat dry it wont hurt them so dont worry too much

Offline Yvonne

• Super Cat
  • Cleo
  • Slave to: Trevor, Clare, Spotty, Homer, Parrot, Cody, strays, Ginger Snaps and Jacob Black.
« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2007, 15:17:29 PM »
Hi and  :welcome:  to Purrs

My kitten eats what he wants I have wet and dry down but the wet goes much quicker than the dry.  The dry food I use is Kitten Whiskas chicken flavour and also the Hills kitten chicken flavour.  If the James Wellbeloved gave them a runny tummy I would say dont give it again or if they are really keen reintroduce it at a later date very slowly, just a little at a time.  It is basically trial and error to see what they like.  Do you know what they were fed on previously before coming to you?

Look forward to seeing you posting.

By the way, what is your name??
The Purrs 2011 Cat Show!
Could your cat be a winner? 
http://www.purrsinourhearts.co.uk/index.php/topic,37101.0.html

Offline blackcat

• Moderating/Auction Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Home of Smidgen, Sebastian and Billy.
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2007, 15:14:41 PM »
giving them a range of food of a wide variety is actually a really good way of making sure they are fussy eaters. That aside, there is no reason to insist on them eating dry foods and a whole range of reasons why giving them dry food is not a good idea. So stick to a limited palate of foods and flavours and give up on the dry until they are older. The runny tummy may simply be a result of all those changes of food. I would withhold the JWB for a week, and see if they firm up, then try it once more. If they get a runny tummy again then it probably is just a bit too rich for them at their age. How old are they, by the way?
Oh, it is also the law on this forum that you supply pix of your babes  :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

stripeytiger

Kitten dry food
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2007, 13:40:11 PM »
Hi everyone

I have got two new kittens (aged 10 weeks and 5 1/2 months) and I have been having trouble getting them to eat dry food. I've been feeding them kitten food and rotating brands so that they won't get fussy. But i'm having a problem they will eat any brand of wet food but not dry, and the vet advised me to feed them a mix. I've wasted lots of money on different brands of dry food and they will only eat a few biscuits  >:(.
Should I persevere and keep leaving down the brands they only pick at?

Also  :shy: finally I discovered yesterday that they wolfed down James Wellbeloved (and so did our exisiting big cats, whats in that stuff?!!) but it gave both kittens runny tum. Does that mean that they can't tolerate it?

Link to CatChat