Author Topic: stray kitten/young cat with worms  (Read 1869 times)

Offline blackcat

• Moderating/Auction Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Home of Smidgen, Sebastian and Billy.
Re: stray kitten/young cat with worms
« Reply #10 on: September 14, 2007, 18:13:31 PM »
Does the stomach size go up and down with the meals or is it static? If it goes up and down it's just that she is skinny enough for the food to show (smidgen looks quite rotund after a meal as he is an oriental body shape (long and thin). If it remains after a week or so I might start getting concerned. See how she goes, and if she is eating, drinking, energetic and responding to things around her I would not be too concerned at this stage.

Oh, and make sure she is going to the toilet regularly too. It could be that she is a little constipated ...
« Last Edit: September 14, 2007, 18:14:38 PM by blackcat »

Offline snarf

• Hero Cat
  • Slave to: Bridge babies Lucifer & Neko. Sparecat, Saph
« Reply #9 on: September 14, 2007, 18:00:10 PM »
ok, she had her worming tablet monday about 9ish am. shes still got a huge belly and still eating a vast amount of food. is this normal? does this mean the tablet hasnt worked? i stayed with her about half an hour after she had it so i dont think she could have spat it out? is there anything else that could be causing this? or am i worrying unnecesarily?

Offline blackcat

• Moderating/Auction Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Home of Smidgen, Sebastian and Billy.
« Reply #8 on: September 12, 2007, 20:48:23 PM »
My last two female cats had weaned their litters and been speyed. Both have had noticeable nipples and their mammary tissue has been hair free and highly noticeable. I think if they are speyed shortly after their last kitten goes this will be the case. There is no need to assume they were aborted or otherwise treated unkindly. Sofie's nipples disappeared progressively over twelve months. ESthers (I suspect) are still getting a little attention from Smidgen when he is not using her to practice more adult skills... I have caught him suckling her once, but not since then...

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #7 on: September 12, 2007, 19:39:15 PM »
But it is possible she was pregnant at the time of spaying so that may account for the enlarged nipples.

If she was that far along to have milk it would have been a midline op to get them out.  :(  More likely she had a litter, they left and she was then spayed.
Good luck finding her owners but i reckon it wouldnt be a bad thing if shes stays with you  ;)

Offline snarf

• Hero Cat
« Reply #6 on: September 11, 2007, 12:35:32 PM »
ok, i dont know how these procedures work  :shy:

Offline Pinkbear (Julie)

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Honorary Cat
  • Where are we supposed to sleep, then?
« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2007, 12:31:58 PM »
Snarf

No one would be daft enough to abort a cat without spaying it. And I'm pretty sure no vet would perform the operation. But it is possible she was pregnant at the time of spaying so that may account for the enlarged nipples.

Offline snarf

• Hero Cat
« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2007, 12:24:32 PM »
yep shes still with me, still trying to find her owners, would i be wise too worm lucifer monthly while shes here? at the moment theyre separate but they dont seem bothered by each other so if i can, when i can it would be nice to allow her some more space (supervised).

was also wondering- lynn or anyone else knowledgable!- as i mentioned shes been clipped for an op and has marks from stitches but she has huge very prominent nipples. ive only had boy cats before so im not sure if its normal. the vet didnt seem bothered but he wasnt going to look at her at all, the receptionist was going to scan her i had to beg to see a vet nurse who then wanted his opinion  :P is it possible shes had an abortion not a spay? or been opened up for something other than a spay? or do some cats just have huge nipples?

Offline CurlyCatz

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • "Cody"
« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2007, 11:57:01 AM »
and for future ref if you still have her or get her owners advise re worming again in a month, and if her worms are that bad doing this monthly for the forseeable future wouldnt be a bad idea  ;)

Offline Pinkbear (Julie)

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Honorary Cat
  • Where are we supposed to sleep, then?
« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2007, 23:38:31 PM »
Give the drontal about 48 hours to work. And be prepared for runny poo...  ;)

Ideally, you'd want to worm the whole house at the same time - even people! But so long as you maintain good cleaning standards and don't allow the other cats to use her tray, you should get away with it.

It sounds like someone read the rule book about kittens, but was lacking in common sense. Yes, you shouldn't allow kittens out until they've been neutered, but you are supposed to supervise their first explorations of the outside world so they don't get lost!  :tired: I reckon this puss has an owner somewhere...  :sneaky:

Offline snarf

• Hero Cat
stray kitten/young cat with worms
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2007, 20:43:21 PM »
over the weekend i agreed to take on a stray that had been found on the side of the A50 in notts/derby- basically  a fast long dual carrigeway. shes quite young looking and has clipped fur on her flank and suture (sp?) marks/scabs so has possibly been recently spayed. had her at the vets this morning (picked her up yesterday afternoon) and no microchip. but... shes got worms, fairly obvious ones at that. the vet said it was alright to worm her - drontal-
so question is how long does that take to act and how much harm is lucifer in the way of? shes in the spare room atm and i wash my hands after stroking her. lucifers wormed every 3months- next one due in 3weeks.

also does she need kitten food- they say up to 1year on the packs but most of it seems faily shoddy. i got her some iams kitten dry as thats high protein but is it ok to feed that with normal cat food?

im trying to find her owners- she had a collar, which was really tight so its off now, but if they dont appear, and lucifers ok about it, she might be staying

apologies if im talking nonsense ive got a killer migraine

Link to CatChat