Author Topic: How to change a cat habit?  (Read 1963 times)

Offline furbabies

• Adult Cat
  • In better days
Re: How to change a cat habit?
« Reply #8 on: September 04, 2007, 18:41:08 PM »
It takes a tough person to resist the charms of Missy and her cute little face and expressions.
An pained cry like she'll die if you don't.
Her fluffy little butt, podgy tum and her sassy little ways
RIP Ebony, she's a good, she's a good, she's Ebony-zer good girl

Offline Susanne (urbantigers)

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • PA to Mosi & Kito
« Reply #7 on: September 04, 2007, 14:21:11 PM »
I agree with catjane.  If you want to keep her in at night you may need to put up with her noise for a while until she realises that she's not going out.

I've tried keeping her in and letting her sleep in our room but she cries so loudly to go out
she wakes the kids upso I give in and let her out.

She cries, you let her out.  She's got you well trained!  ;D

Offline furbabies

• Adult Cat
  • In better days
« Reply #6 on: September 04, 2007, 14:01:14 PM »
Can you put up with the yowling for one or two nights perhaps?  Maybe get the kids to sleep over with a relative or friends?

Cats learn pretty quickly once they realise no is no, and she will probably get the idea after one or two nights - worth a try.

What if I shut her in with Merlin at night? I wasn't going to cause I was advised by a friend not to incase she hurts him but
they get on pretty well together and he's not a small kitten he gives as good as he gets.
I'd have to make sure she went out in the day an possibly late afternoon/early evening.
Do you think that'd work? She hasn't tried to hurt Merlin, he hits her and she swipes at him and floors him but she's not aggressive towards him at all.

Offline Catjane

• Distinguished Cat
« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2007, 13:02:33 PM »
Can you put up with the yowling for one or two nights perhaps?  Maybe get the kids to sleep over with a relative or friends?

Cats learn pretty quickly once they realise no is no, and she will probably get the idea after one or two nights - worth a try.

Offline furbabies

• Adult Cat
  • In better days
« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2007, 11:46:44 AM »
Yes we got her from a rescue place and she'd only been 'done' the day before apparently.
So I know she's not off being naughty and making furbabies and she always comes home imaculate as when she left.

There is a catflap and very occasionally she would use it, i.e once every few  months - more so to go out than to come back in actually.
But at the moment the catflap is locked as Merlin sleeps in that room at night until he's a bit more reliable with his toiletting habits.
It's only one of two rooms that are tiled and easy to clean up accidents should they happen on the floor, the only other option is to shut
him in the kitchen at night but he can now get up on the worktops and shpould he have any little mishaps the thought of him treading it
round all the wortops and windowsills, hob etc doens't fill me with joy first thing in the morning.

She has always much preferred coming in and out the windows and doors even when she had use of the catflap. I'm sure she thinks using it is beneath her lol

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2007, 22:50:34 PM »
Do you have a catflap so she can get back in?

Offline JackSpratt

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2007, 22:45:53 PM »
Has Missy been spayed? First question that needs answering really!

Carrie, Jack,Toby and Parsley ~ Love and miss you all always.x

Offline furbabies

• Adult Cat
  • In better days
How to change a cat habit?
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2007, 19:25:00 PM »
Ok so for the most part I wouldn't change my two for the world but........

The last almost a year Missy has been insistant that she goes out when I go to bed.
I've tried keeping her in and letting her sleep in our room but she cries so loudly to go out
she wakes the kids upso I give in and let her out.
From what i've heard she's out partying and beign a bit of a tart with the neighbourhood cats
but I really would rather she stayed in at night?

Does anyone have any ideas? I do try putting her out in the morning and in the afternoon but
if we're home she won't go far and wants to be in for food or a visit with me.

Advice needed please?

Link to CatChat