Author Topic: Extra Strong mints!  (Read 3385 times)

Offline berties mum

• Hero Cat
Re: Extra Strong mints!
« Reply #8 on: September 04, 2007, 00:41:46 AM »
Thanks for this thread, it's finally explained why Bertie loves me most when I've just brushed my teeth!!!!  He doesn't even react to catnip so it just didn't occur to me ... how funny!  :rofl:

Offline Gillian Harvey

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Sam RIP
    • Scruffy Joe's Cat Grooming & Cat Sitting
« Reply #7 on: September 03, 2007, 13:34:40 PM »
She loved menthol too which is a similar smell, one of my worst memories is of when I was feeling a bit sorry for myself and had rubbed some vicks vaporub into my chest and was woken by her licking it off my chest  :sick:

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Offline scattycat

• Adult Cat
« Reply #6 on: September 03, 2007, 08:12:58 AM »
Ahhhh ..... that's ok then!  :wow:

It's the first we've ever had a cat do that to mints so we werent sure if it was ok or not.... you just know I'm going to have to see if the boys have the same reactions  :evillaugh:

Offline CurlyCatz

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • "Cody"
« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2007, 07:45:25 AM »
Cody likes aftereight sticks..does that count  :-:

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Save a life draw/Commercial Assistant/Moderating Staff
  • Royal Cat
« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2007, 00:18:02 AM »
Tiggy used to absolutely LOVE mints, anything she could get her paws on - chewing gum, polos, anything minty!  Obviously I din't let her eat them but she loved to try and lick them through the packaging.   I used to be really mean and tease her by brushing my teeth and then when she came up to snuggle me at bedtime I'd blow my minty breath in her face  :shy:

She loved menthol too which is a similar smell, one of my worst memories is of when I was feeling a bit sorry for myself and had rubbed some vicks vaporub into my chest and was woken by her licking it off my chest  :sick:

Offline Beccles

• Distinguished Cat
  • Daphne and Elettra born 18.06.06, Figaro 23.08.07
    • My weblog: Comprehension Dawns
« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2007, 23:43:23 PM »
 :Luv: doesn't sound all that perilous... but I hope she doesn't try and eat some and hurt her mouth, I find really strong mints a bit mouth-hurty.
Spaying and neutering saves lives.
Nobody has a right to own a cat. It's a privilege.

Offline Reynard

• Super Cat
  • Pearl & Poppy
    • Post 14 Digital Motorsport Photography
« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2007, 22:56:36 PM »
Mint and catnip are members of the same plant family or genus i.e. Nepeta.

So I would guess that the peppermint oil used in extra strong mints has some of the same (or similar) active chemical compounds which give a cat that catnip "high".

Offline scattycat

• Adult Cat
Extra Strong mints!
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2007, 22:08:39 PM »
Does anyone know if Extra Strong Mints happen to have something in them which makes cats react like when they like cat nip?

Ginny was pushing her nose into some paper on my husbands desk, and was acting just like when she's in a cat nip mood ....

So we removed the paper, and it was an open packet of extra stong mints that she was trying to get to.

We held one up infront of her and she squirmed her eyes, as I assume they're strong, but then she started to rub the side of her mouth along it - we took the mint away after she did it as we dont know if mints are dangeous or not - but it's just a really werid reaction!

Link to CatChat