Author Topic: Toby's bottom.......  (Read 3177 times)

Offline Felix (Caroline)

• Hero Cat
  • Simba
Re: Toby's bottom.......
« Reply #29 on: September 13, 2007, 15:16:52 PM »
I was also the same with ours too! ;)
Caroline xx

Offline sheryl

• Super Cat
  • Im a Crazy CatWoman
« Reply #28 on: September 13, 2007, 14:54:09 PM »
Fantastic news so glad that Toby's bottom is getting better, I know how you feel because I was the same when the Bengal babies started to do normal poohs, my OH couldnt understand how I could get so excited over cat pooh !!!
The Purrs 2011 Cat Show!
Could your cat be a winner?  :wow:
http://www.purrsinourhearts.co.uk/index.php/topic,37101.0.html

Offline Felix (Caroline)

• Hero Cat
  • Simba
« Reply #27 on: September 13, 2007, 14:46:16 PM »
Thats great news hooray.................. :Luv:
Caroline xx

Offline LesleyW

• Super Cat
  • Slave to: Many and varied
« Reply #26 on: September 13, 2007, 09:35:00 AM »
Thanks for the advice about the antibiotics, will stop them now as he has had ten days worth.

The Lacto B does appear to be working.  Last night's poos had shape to them and this morning is almost normal and definitely his bottom seems cleaner.

I so want to make him better as he is such a gorgeous boy and so playful and friendly through everything.  Will keep you updated.

So glad to hear Toby has dried up - how wonderful to be able to give him proper cuddles now. :Luv:
Even the smallest feline is a masterpiece (Leonardo da Vinci)

Offline Jennbear

• Adult Cat
  • If cats could talk - they would lie to you :)
« Reply #25 on: September 12, 2007, 19:21:18 PM »
We have solid poo....I repeat...we have SOLID poo!!!!!!   ;D

Lesley, that's exactly what Toby has been like for days. Happy in himself, eating, drinking and playing yet left poo everywhere he went. This morning was horrific, came home tonight and there's our little Tobelerone having a solid poo! I've never been so happy to see a poo!!!!!

He's had his dinner and no poops, he's had cuddles and play time and no poops, Tabitha has done a grand job of cleaning him up while we've been cleaning the house from this mornings events.

Not sure where we are with what's caused it or if he needs to be on special food from now on but I don't care....he's pooing properly!!!

Offline sheryl

• Super Cat
  • Im a Crazy CatWoman
« Reply #24 on: September 12, 2007, 16:27:18 PM »
I totally agree Gillian, when our vet gave our Bengals Antibiotics it definately made them worse - I really would try the Lacto B because it has honestly done wonders for my kittens.  I have changed them to a grain free diet aswell and am feeding them Bozita.
Poor wee man having to live in a toilet.
The Purrs 2011 Cat Show!

Offline Gillian Harvey

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Sam RIP
    • Scruffy Joe's Cat Grooming & Cat Sitting
« Reply #23 on: September 12, 2007, 16:19:41 PM »
I've not heard of LactoB....He's back next week to see the vet so will ask them then.

I could cry...I can't even cuddle him  :'(

poor little soul! You can get Lacto B probiotic online. http://www.petmeds.co.uk/Lacto-B

The trouble is antibiotics can cause diarrhea too, so thats probably not actually helping the situation! especially if he doesnt have an infection and the vet is jgiving him abx just in case!. I guess you've got to finish the course of antibiotics now, but once the course has finished, then start the Lacto B - don't give him the lacto B at the same time as the antibiotics because they kill good and bad bacteria - so would cancel out any benefits of the lacto B.

Offline Felix (Caroline)

• Hero Cat
  • Simba
« Reply #22 on: September 12, 2007, 15:35:18 PM »
Our Bengals have all been through bad tummy stages,but thankfully they are all fine now, didn't change their diets just carried on with their kitten food, Sky the girl one did have antibiotics for it once though. I also know what it is like pinching the bigger cats food as we have to older cats, (always eating each others left overs) hope your kittens get better soon :Luv:
Caroline xx

Offline LesleyW

• Super Cat
  • Slave to: Many and varied
« Reply #21 on: September 12, 2007, 14:41:24 PM »
I Know exactly how you feel.  I have a little handreared one at the moment, Tarka, and he has the constant runs.  He is on antibiotics, pro-kolin and I have just got him some Lacto B.  He is so very bright in himself, eating and drinking well but I have had to crate him as he just leaves poo wherever he goes.  His bottom is just constantly a mess and if I bathe him, give minutes later he is filthy again.  It's almost as if he cannot close his bottom, if you know what I mean.

The vets says if he does not clear up then next step is a stool sample, (more like a very runny sample).

I'm worried that it may be a physical problem with him that cannot be sorted and don't know what I am going to do, he is just such a happy little soul but, like you, I can't even cuddle him without getting covered and then I have to have a bath and change before dealing with any of the others.

Hope Toby gets better soon.
Even the smallest feline is a masterpiece (Leonardo da Vinci)

Offline Jennbear

• Adult Cat
« Reply #20 on: September 12, 2007, 13:03:32 PM »
I've not heard of LactoB....He's back next week to see the vet so will ask them then.

I could cry...I can't even cuddle him  :'(

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Save a life draw/Commercial Assistant/Moderating Staff
  • Royal Cat
« Reply #19 on: September 12, 2007, 10:44:22 AM »
Poor little Toby  :hug:

Have you tried the LactoB?  Sheryl was having terrible runny bottoms with her Bengals, they had all sorts of tests and were no nearer to solving it until she started them on LactoB. 

Offline Jennbear

• Adult Cat
« Reply #18 on: September 12, 2007, 10:40:13 AM »
The saga continues. After starving him and then putting him on chicken he started to get a leaky bum again. At my wits end we took him back to the vets last night and they've said it's either

An infection
A Parasite
or a dietary thing

So he's on antibiotics, syrup, special food. Last night it started pouring out of him again. He's now confined to the downstairs toilet. I could cry

:(

Offline Gillian Harvey

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Sam RIP
« Reply #17 on: September 09, 2007, 17:12:45 PM »

I would feed just the cooked chicken (just bake in the oven) for a few days and try a probiotic like Lacto B, or your vet will be able to supply you with one.

Hey Gillian think it may be a little too well done lol bake for a few days  :rofl:  :rofl:

Haha, just realised what I typed - but you knew what I meant! LOL  :rofl:

Offline Smudgey

• Distinguished Cat
  • This is my bridge furbabe Smudge
  • Slave to: Abby Zak and Smudge
« Reply #16 on: September 08, 2007, 16:54:23 PM »

I would feed just the cooked chicken (just bake in the oven) for a few days and try a probiotic like Lacto B, or your vet will be able to supply you with one.

Hey Gillian think it may be a little too well done lol bake for a few days  :rofl:  :rofl:

Offline Gillian Harvey

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Sam RIP
« Reply #15 on: September 08, 2007, 13:07:52 PM »
Have called the vet this morning and we've got to starve Toby for 24 hours then start him on a bland diet. She said boiled fish but I couldn't bear to cook that  :sick: could I give them chicken and rice instead?

Offline Rosella moggy

• Fundraising/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Popeye & Elsa
  • Slave to: Noni Baroni, Dinah, Ruby, Groucho, Bobby. Popeye & Elsa
« Reply #14 on: September 08, 2007, 12:40:10 PM »
I would have thought chicken & rice fine. Plenty of water meanwhile. Really hope Toby's problem clears up soon as, whilst he's OK in himself, must be a worry, with a young un esp.

Offline Jennbear

• Adult Cat
« Reply #13 on: September 08, 2007, 09:02:30 AM »
Have called the vet this morning and we've got to starve Toby for 24 hours then start him on a bland diet. She said boiled fish but I couldn't bear to cook that  :sick: could I give them chicken and rice instead?

Offline Jennbear

• Adult Cat
« Reply #12 on: September 07, 2007, 22:37:12 PM »
He's drinking fine and still eating. He's bright as a button except for his little issue with poo  :scared:

Offline Rosella moggy

• Fundraising/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Popeye & Elsa
  • Slave to: Noni Baroni, Dinah, Ruby, Groucho, Bobby. Popeye & Elsa
« Reply #11 on: September 07, 2007, 22:32:37 PM »
Yes I'd bring him back to vet tomorrow. Is he drinking OK?  Milk obviously a no no. Sorry if you've posted else where about Toby and I've not seen it.

Offline Jennbear

• Adult Cat
« Reply #10 on: September 07, 2007, 22:17:09 PM »
Toby still has the runs. The vet said he was ok and to continue feeding them all kitten food so as not to split them up and he'll be fine. She wormed him and said he'll be abit runny for a couple of days and he'll be fine. Thats was Monday and he's still got the runs although now he's getting abit leaky :(

We don't know what to do. Shall we put him on adult food and see what happens. Some people have said to starve him for a while but I don't want to try anything without advice. Others have said scrambled egg. Poor Toby is a walking poo at the moment  :sick:

Was going to take him back to the vets tomorrow......

Offline Susanne (urbantigers)

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • PA to Mosi & Kito
« Reply #9 on: September 03, 2007, 11:55:47 AM »
I agree.  When I got Jaffa and his brother Magpie from a rescue 10 years ago I was surprised to be told that they were eating adult food as kitten food was too rich for them.  I gradually changed them over to kitten food and they were ok on it.  fast forward 8 years and I got Mosi.  Breeder said he was on adult food because kitten was too rich for them.  I tried to switch him over to kitten gradually (same brand) and he got the runs.  So back onto adult and after a few more weeks I successfully transitioned him onto kitten food.  So it seems there is some truth in kitten food being too rich for some kittens.

Offline Michelle (furbabystar)

• Royal Cat
  • My Baby - Issey
« Reply #8 on: September 03, 2007, 11:47:49 AM »
What dry food are you using ?

I also agree with the others, often it is the Kitten wet food that gives them the runs rather than the adult food.

Offline sheryl

• Super Cat
  • Im a Crazy CatWoman
« Reply #7 on: September 03, 2007, 09:33:12 AM »
Ive put all of mine onto Bozita because it is for all ages and it solves the headache of trying to sopt the Benglies eating what they shouldnt and now that their tummies are at last sorted out I dont want to risk upsetting them again.  Biscuit wise - they are all eating kitten biccies at the moment  :rofl:
The Purrs 2011 Cat Show!

Offline Jennbear

• Adult Cat
« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2007, 20:32:18 PM »
thanks all....we've managed to feed them apart tonight. Toby's abit confused why the other cats aren't eating, little does he know they're food is stashed in the upstairs! bless him.....

Will see what the vet says tomorrow we're running out of carpet cleaner lol other than that he's still a bootiful happy chappy

Offline Gillian Harvey

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Sam RIP
« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2007, 15:58:39 PM »
Will he be ok nibbling the dry, is it the wet which will probably be causing the runs?

I would think its more likely the dry thats causing the runs, or as Tan mentioned, that the kitten food may be too rich.

Offline Tan

• Administrator/Shop Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
    • Purrs Forum & Shop
  • Slave to: Marl, Garf, mr Blue, Gizzymo, Rio,Ochi,Ben, Bow & Arnie
« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2007, 15:27:51 PM »
Yeap def agree to keep a huge eye on his running bum as when me Rio was young 9 weeks he had the same and was told to take him to the vets every 2 days to watch for dehydration as it can kill him quick. In the end after 3 weeks of it , i took him to another lovely vet and he was cured that day :) :)
The vets also said to put him on Adult food as the kitten stuff is much richer for him tum.

Hope he picks up soon hun
 :Luv:

Offline Jennbear

• Adult Cat
« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2007, 15:23:53 PM »
Thanks Blackcat. He's at the vets tomorrow for his vaccs so will mention it to them to make sure he's 100% ok

Will he be ok nibbling the dry, is it the wet which will probably be causing the runs?

Offline blackcat

• Moderating/Auction Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Home of Smidgen, Sebastian and Billy.
« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2007, 15:18:22 PM »
try feeding the wet food to the adults in a separate room. When they are done, take it up and hide it. Put it out only when they are nose-down in it. It is difficult, I know as I had an older cat on a completely different diet to the younger cats (not to mention a labrador-cross in the house  (they are walking vacuum cleaners :rofl:) so monitor the eating situation at all times. At present I have an adult and a kitten as well as the dog, and yes, it gets exciting at meal times. If the runniness keeps up the kitty needs to go to the vet as they dehydrate very quickly and can go down-hill fast.

Offline Jennbear

• Adult Cat
Toby's bottom.......
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2007, 14:58:54 PM »
Toby has the runs and I've a feeling it's cos we can't keep him away from the adult cat food. We feed them all wet but of course Toby is on kitten food but keeps sneaking to the adult food when you're not looking.

Has anyone got any advice on the best way of keeping him away from it but allowing our other cats access to their food. We leave them dry down for during the day and they get wet food for their dinners.

We're getting abit tired of following his pooey bum around the house cleaning up after him  :sick:

Link to CatChat