Author Topic: HELP - Urgent advice needed, Mosi's eaten a string  (Read 9099 times)

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
Re: HELP - Urgent advice needed, Mosi's eaten a string
« Reply #94 on: September 05, 2007, 17:28:53 PM »
It amazes me how quickly cats recover from things. If a human had abdominal surgery they would be laid up in bed for 2 weeks  :innocent:

Im pleased your naughty boy is ok now

Offline clarenmax

• FIV & FELV/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • My Bridge Baby Max, October 2000 - July 2009 xxx
« Reply #93 on: September 05, 2007, 13:59:47 PM »
That's brilliant news  ;D

Make custom Glitter Graphics

Poot, adopted 14th August 2009. I'm sure Maxy sent you to me sweetie xx

Offline Felix (Caroline)

• Hero Cat
  • Simba
« Reply #92 on: September 05, 2007, 13:53:14 PM »
Thats really great news :Luv:
Caroline xx

Offline Susanne (urbantigers)

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • PA to Mosi & Kito
« Reply #91 on: September 05, 2007, 08:48:55 AM »
well last night he was climbing the curtains and teasing Jaffa, so I think it's safe to say normal service has been resumed  ;D

Offline Felix (Caroline)

• Hero Cat
  • Simba
« Reply #90 on: September 04, 2007, 09:36:44 AM »
So glad he is ok just read everything, how he doing now? :Luv:
Caroline xx

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • PA to Mosi & Kito
« Reply #89 on: September 04, 2007, 08:57:38 AM »
I think he's almost back to normal now  ;D  He scaled a pile of boxes last night that are about 4 ft tall without any difficulty.  Lynn - how long before it's safe for him to run and jump as normal?  Is he ok to do that now?  I forgot to ask the vet and am hesitant to encourage him to leap around too soon as it's only been 4 days.  I don't think he's up to doing backflips just yet but otherwise he seems fine and is wanting to play.

Jaffa still has the odd hiss so things aren't 100% back to normal between them (I was woken twice in the night by them grooming each other and ending up with Jaffa hissing at Mosi) but getting there.

Offline west0405

• Senior Cat
« Reply #88 on: September 04, 2007, 01:18:20 AM »
 :omg: Only just seen this!!!

What a brave boy he is  :Luv:  :Luv:  :Luv:  :Luv:

.... i'm now off to remove Dylan & Smudge's favourite bit of orange elastic string from their unattended reach though!  :scared:

Offline CurlyCatz

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • "Cody"
« Reply #87 on: September 03, 2007, 18:29:58 PM »
great news susanne, what a relief.

Any signs of that string yet  :-:

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • PA to Mosi & Kito
« Reply #86 on: September 03, 2007, 18:28:00 PM »
He went back to see the nice lady vet tonight and she's pleased with him  ;D  He has to go back again next Monday to make sure he's healed ok.

Offline sheryl

• Super Cat
  • Im a Crazy CatWoman
« Reply #85 on: September 03, 2007, 10:49:00 AM »
So glad that Mosi is on the mend, I was thinking about him yesterday

Positive vibes for a really speedy recovery xxx
The Purrs 2011 Cat Show!
Could your cat be a winner?  :wow:
http://www.purrsinourhearts.co.uk/index.php/topic,37101.0.html

Offline Tan

• Administrator/Shop Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
    • Purrs Forum & Shop
  • Slave to: Marl, Garf, mr Blue, Gizzymo, Rio,Ochi,Ben, Bow & Arnie
« Reply #84 on: September 03, 2007, 10:46:43 AM »
Soo pleased Mosi lad is feeling better hun. Sending hugs and gentle headbutts over to him  :Luv:

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Save a life draw/Commercial Assistant/Moderating Staff
  • Royal Cat
« Reply #83 on: September 03, 2007, 10:41:26 AM »
Glad Mosi is feeling more up to annoying Jaffa  :evillaugh:  Let us know how he gets on at the vets.

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • PA to Mosi & Kito
« Reply #82 on: September 03, 2007, 09:15:55 AM »
He took a playful swipe at Jaffa's tail this morning so I know he's getting back to normal!  I hope he doesn't overdo it today while I'm out at work.  He still can't jump up onto anything too high, and even with lower things he goes to jump then pauses and realises he can't so takes a deep breath and has a few false starts before he goes for it.  Don't want him pulling those stitches out.

He has to go back to the vets tonight for a check up.

Offline clarenmax

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #81 on: September 03, 2007, 08:50:41 AM »
Glad he's getting back to being the Mosi we all love so much  :Luv:

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #80 on: September 03, 2007, 01:49:15 AM »
So pleased that Mosi is improving   ;D

Offline CurlyCatz

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • "Cody"
« Reply #79 on: September 02, 2007, 20:04:41 PM »
Glad to hear Mosi is recovering well Susanne, this time next week i bet he is just like the old Mosi  ;)

Offline blackcat

• Moderating/Auction Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Home of Smidgen, Sebastian and Billy.
« Reply #78 on: September 02, 2007, 19:33:24 PM »
Great news! So glad the little lad is back on his feet again.

Offline Teresa Pawcats

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • www.pawsinncatrescue.co.uk
    • Paws Inn Website rehoming page
« Reply #77 on: September 02, 2007, 19:06:35 PM »
So pleased to hear he is on the mend.Hope you`ve given him a good talking to and told him how lucky he is to have such a vigilant and caring mum  :)

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • PA to Mosi & Kito
« Reply #76 on: September 02, 2007, 11:28:00 AM »
He's continuing to improve  ;D  He's still not my cheeky, little Mosi but he's getting there.  He seems to enjoy being stroked and even swiped at a toy earlier.   Jaffa seems to have stopped hissing at him.  He's not hissed or growled today (yet) and has walked up to Mosi a few times and given him a sniff.

He's being a very good boy with his wound too.  He's licking the fur around the area a lot (to clean it up I think) but he's not bothering with the wound itself.  The vet said he hadn't attempted to lick it while he was there, but that if he did bother with it a lot I could get a collar from them.  I'm glad I've not had to go down that road as I think that would make the poor little lad really miserable.
« Last Edit: September 02, 2007, 11:29:29 AM by Susanne (urbantigers) »

Offline Bazsmum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Bazzy Bazilla
    • The Animal Rescue Site
« Reply #75 on: September 01, 2007, 20:05:36 PM »
Great news  :wow:

Good idea building him some jumping blocks  ;)

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • PA to Mosi & Kito
« Reply #74 on: September 01, 2007, 18:34:36 PM »
The little lad's wanting to go to all his fave places but can't quite manage to get to all of them.  He's not up to jumping onto the worktops just yet but he sits looking longingly at them and prepares to jump up then realises he can't do it.  I've put some boxes in the kitchen to make steps so he can get onto the boiler and from there onto the window ledge which is where he is now.  He's doing really well and being such a brave boy.  Ate all his tea up too.

Offline clarenmax

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #73 on: September 01, 2007, 17:47:46 PM »
Glad he's a bit more comfortable  ;D

Offline Gillian Harvey

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Sam RIP
    • Scruffy Joe's Cat Grooming & Cat Sitting
« Reply #72 on: September 01, 2007, 17:33:32 PM »
Glad to hear he's a bit brighter, and a good sign that he's eating some too  :hug:

Offline Sam (Fussy_Furball)

• Marketing/Lost&Found/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Foxy (RIP), Zephyr (RIP), Rosina (RIP) & Oliver
« Reply #71 on: September 01, 2007, 16:08:40 PM »
OMG I've only just seen this ..... poor Mosi :( 

Glad to hear he is OK.

Rossi sends her boyfriend lots of love and gentle kisses ... but she does think he was a bit stupid to eat the string ... not only has he broken his toy he also ended up t the VET and had to have an operation! DOH! silly boy.
In ancient times cats were worshiped as gods; they have not forgotten this.

Offline Tan

• Administrator/Shop Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
    • Purrs Forum & Shop
  • Slave to: Marl, Garf, mr Blue, Gizzymo, Rio,Ochi,Ben, Bow & Arnie
« Reply #70 on: September 01, 2007, 14:43:21 PM »
Hun sorry only just seen this. So glad he is ok bless him.  Give him a cuddle from us :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug: :Luv: :Luv:

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • PA to Mosi & Kito
« Reply #69 on: September 01, 2007, 12:45:57 PM »
He's looking much more comfortable today.  Still obviously a bit sore but he's able to curl up in a little ball and go to sleep.  His posture looks much more comfortable overall.  He's also able to climb onto the bed, the sofa etc.   I woke up at 4.30am to the sound of hissing in my right ear and found that Mosi had got onto the bed and Jaffa was telling him what he thought of that!  Mosi came to me for a cuddle and after a few minutes settled down in his usual place on the bed lying on my feet.  Jaffa allowed that and they both slept on the bed for a few more hours.  He's enjoying being stroked and is generally much brighter today.  I think it's a good thing he's in a bit of discomfort otherwise he'd be jumping on all sorts which I don't think would be good for him right now.

He's also eating.  He had a little bit of chicken last night and this morning has eaten half a tin of applaws chicken.  He'd have eaten more if I'd given it to him I think but I didn't want to give him too much at once so I'll give him the rest later.

Jaffa is still growling but he's getting closer to Mosi and seems to be tolerating him more.  He mainly growls if he's near Mosi and I approach him.  Poor Mosi looks so puzzled.  When he came back from being neutered and we had the same thing he was his usual Mosi self and didn't bat an eyelid.  And didn't stop jumping on Jaffa.  But now because he's feeling a bit poorly he's just sitting there quietly and looking confused. I do feel sorry for him.

Offline Desley (booktigger)

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Molly, my wonderful babe
  • Slave to: Lucy
« Reply #68 on: September 01, 2007, 10:49:34 AM »
Glad he is home and better - my vets dont dispense a/d as standard either, they suggest either boiled chicken/fish, or scrambled egg. Hope he is seeming more himself this morning.
Please spay your cat

Offline Cheesecat

• Honorary Cat
  • Slave to: Cheese, Gerti, Doc and Wizzles
« Reply #67 on: September 01, 2007, 00:43:50 AM »
Just caught up with this Susanne, really glad your little guy is okay. Hope he makes a good recovery and Jaffa isnt too much of a bully.

I expect Mosi might tell his cat friends about this later on when he is feeling better?  ;)
Cheese, Gerti, Doc and Kitty Von Bizmark (Wizzles) ^Lucas^(??/97 - 21/11/07)
To think I might not see those eyes, makes it so hard not to cry, and as we say our long goodbyes, I nearly do.

Offline Beccles

• Distinguished Cat
  • Daphne and Elettra born 18.06.06, Figaro 23.08.07
    • My weblog: Comprehension Dawns
« Reply #66 on: August 31, 2007, 23:59:23 PM »
Wishing Mosi a quick recovery and just to let you know I've changed the topic title cos there are so many 'OH DEAR' type topics on here at the moment  :-:
Spaying and neutering saves lives.
Nobody has a right to own a cat. It's a privilege.

Offline CurlyCatz

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • "Cody"
Re: HELP - Urgent advice needed
« Reply #65 on: August 31, 2007, 23:48:07 PM »
ah yes i can understand that susanne, i used to always to the explanation and leave the pet collecting till last.  I'd defo see how you feel re pain as you say they wont be open on sunday and his painkiller is likely to last until tomorrow afternoon.

lots of hugs to mosi just now, best if he has a nice long sleep tonight 

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • PA to Mosi & Kito
« Reply #64 on: August 31, 2007, 23:31:34 PM »
Lynn - I think it's more a case of me not taking it all in than them not explaining.  I went into the consulting room and she brought Mosi through and showed me where he was stitched up etc and discussed his after care but I was just so relieved to see him looking well that it went in one ear and out the other.  He's definitely had a long acting painkiller.  I asked if he needed any tablets or anything to take home and she said no.  He seems more settled now and is asleep under the bed (he often goes there, he's not just hiding because he's in pain or something).  If he seems to be as uncomfortable in the morning I'll ring up and ask about some pain killers for him.  esp being weekend, I don't want to be having to take him in to see the emergency vet just for some pain killers. 

They never give hills a/d or similar after ops, always say feed chicken and rice or bland fish.  He did show a bit of interest in some bozita at supper time and licked some jelly off my finger.  So although he's not eating yet he is showing some interest in food.  I've got some applaws chicken flake which should be gentle on his tummy so I'll try him with a bit of that in the morning.  If he doesn't eat that I'll ring and ask if they have any a/d. 

Helen - I'll suggest that to him but I think he's as likely to go for it as Riley is to stay of your worktops  ;D

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Save a life draw/Commercial Assistant/Moderating Staff
  • Royal Cat
« Reply #63 on: August 31, 2007, 23:18:51 PM »
So glad Mosi is OK  ;D  Gentle head kisses sent from me and the boys for him  :hug:  Maybe he could take the next few days to think over the seriousness of playing with stringy toys while Mum wasn't looking  :shify:

Offline CurlyCatz

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • "Cody"
« Reply #62 on: August 31, 2007, 22:44:03 PM »
Mmm ok they should have taken time to explain things better to you susanne, you will be fine to take the tape off his leg and i would definately phone up and double check he has had a 24 hour painkiller and i'd also request some of the same but in tab form for you to pick up tomorrow rather than get an emergency vet if he seems pained on sunday.  He's had major abdominal surgery so they should take that aspect of his care seriously.

Also i am a tad shocked they havent dispensed the likes of a/d or brand equivilent , he was being sick and they said his intestines seems abit inflamed and they opened him up and were "guddling" around in his intestinal area so I certainly would have been dispensing enough of that type of foods for atleast the weekend.

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • PA to Mosi & Kito
« Reply #61 on: August 31, 2007, 22:36:11 PM »
Actually - meant to ask - he's still got a little bandage around his paw where the drip went in.  Am I ok to take this off now?  I forgot to ask about it.  It's on quite tight and the sticky tape will be stuck to his fur so it might not be easy to get off.  I seem to recall him having this when he was neutered and I just cut and pulled it off.  It's not been left on for a reason has it? 

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • PA to Mosi & Kito
« Reply #60 on: August 31, 2007, 21:39:14 PM »
He's finally managed to get himself into a position that's comfortable enough to allow him to go to sleep.  He's so obviously sore - he has this pained look on his face!  Ive never seen him anything other than very confident, lively and happy so it's really hard seeing him like this.  Even when I first brought him home as a little kitten he didn't bat an eyelid and just bounced out of the carrier ready for play.  He looks so vulnerable and with a lot of his side/stomach fur shaved you can see how slender a cat he is under all that fur.  I just want the old Mosi back!  He's not interested in food but hopefully he will be by tomorrow.  The vet didn't give me anything and just said give him plain food like chicken and fish.  I've cooked him some chicken but he's not interested.  I can't remember whether the vet said he'd eaten anything there or not.  They did ask this morning what he liked to eat and wrote down hi life but I'm not sure if he actually got given anything.  that might just have been in case he was in overnight.  If he doesn't eat breakfast tomorrow I'll ring the vets and ask if they have some hills a/d or something to tempt him with.

Jaffa is growling and hissing at him (and me) as expected.  I feel really sorry for Mosi feeling unwell and being hissed at!  And sorry for poor Jaffa who just doesn't understand what's going on.  It'll sort itself out in time though. 

I feel totally shattered now.  Just poured myself a glass of wine and Jaffa came and knocked it over!  >:(

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #59 on: August 31, 2007, 21:37:24 PM »
Poor Mosi, did they give him any painkillers?

Hope he feels a little more comfortable tomorrow  :hug:

Offline ChrisB

• Cat Rescue
  • Hero Cat
  • Gizmo, Bubbles, Cleo, Daisy and Ellie
« Reply #58 on: August 31, 2007, 21:31:52 PM »
Glad everything is OK now but what a worrying time for you.
Unconditional love is hard to find unless you have a cat

Offline CurlyCatz

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • "Cody"
« Reply #57 on: August 31, 2007, 21:19:27 PM »
Pleased you have Mosi home susanne, he will be quite tender as they will have most of his gi tract out giving it a good examine, poor lad but he sounds like he is being very brave  :Luv:

Your vets sound pretty good aswell :)

Offline Gwen

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #56 on: August 31, 2007, 19:37:51 PM »
Only just caught up with this thread.

Glad Mosi had the all clear at the vets,lets hope Jaffa isn't the one whos eaten it but I am sure you will find the other part of da bird one day when your cleaning  :hug:

Love me,love my animals.

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • PA to Mosi & Kito
« Reply #55 on: August 31, 2007, 18:57:18 PM »
Poor little lad's looking so sorry for himself.  He does have his tail in the air though, esp when you approach him so at least he's happy to be home  ;D

Jaffa wandered into the living room and gave mosi's paw a little sniff and then walked away.  No hissing.  And now Mosi's come into the bedroom and Jaffa's ignoring him so that's good.  Last time there were lots of hisses but I think that had a lot to do with Mosi approaching Jaffa and being a tease.  Little lad's not up to that at the moment.

I think he's a bit sore and having trouble settling.  He was lying on his side and looked like he was having trouble getting up.  I tried to help him and the poor lad gave a yelp of pain so I think I'll refrain from 'helping'!

They love him at the vets.  Said he was a very good patient and very friendly.  The vet asked me how much somali cats cost cos she wouldn't mind having one as Mosi is so friendly.

Link to CatChat