Author Topic: Total Disaster - MUM IS NOW CAUGHT!!!  (Read 4362 times)

Offline Dawn (DiddyDawn)

• Honorary Cat
Re: Total Disaster - MUM IS NOW CAUGHT!!!
« Reply #32 on: September 16, 2007, 03:10:36 AM »
The kittens will be 3 weeks old on Tuesday  :tired:  I ended up taking the babies off her totally as she obviously wasn't comfortable feeding them and sadly I did find another dead, not sure if she killed it as the poor little thing was part eaten or whether it did actually die and she was disposing of it  :sick:  :sick:  The other 3 are doing fine and growing bigger every day, I've been really busy with one thing and another the last few days as well so hardly had any time for anything and next week will be even worse as I have got cats in the vets every single day next week which will mean a lot of running about  :tired:

I'm going to have Lion spayed on Monday and I'll be loaning the guy a cage, and she can be released once she's recovered in a few days.  He doesn't know yet but I'm sure he'll be fine having her there and it's much less stress for her as well although she seems absolutely fine  :Crazy:  I'm really surprised as I've only had a couple of hisses off her and as soon as I go in to feed her, she comes straight over to the door of the cage and is virtually touching my hand as I'm feeding her  :Luv:  :Luv:  She's a gorgeous cat and in some ways, I think fate has stepped in with regards to the kittens, she really does need her body to rest and at least this way although not ideal she can return home and start enjoying life again but without the burden of babies.

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #31 on: September 12, 2007, 19:25:31 PM »
Maybe she knew there was something wrong with the ones who died. How old are they now Dawn? Hopefully their feeds dont keep you up to much.

Offline LesleyW

• Super Cat
  • Slave to: Many and varied
« Reply #30 on: September 12, 2007, 10:42:31 AM »
GLad to hear they are doing okay.  Just as well I didn't take them, picked up four day old kittens last night that have been rejected by their mum, and they are not happy with 2 hourly feeds, every 1 1/2 hours please new mummy. :Crazy:

Even the smallest feline is a masterpiece (Leonardo da Vinci)

Offline Dawn (DiddyDawn)

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #29 on: September 11, 2007, 20:10:06 PM »
So sorry you're having trouble with the feral mum Dawn.  Sounds like some hand rearing for the little ones, give me a shout if you need help.  I do have a mum whose babies have now all gone to their new homes but she is feeding any little one who likes a drink.  Took her to the Vet on Friday for pre spay check but Vet says she still has too much milk so have to wait at least another week - could this be fate telling us something?

Sadly it would be too far for them to travel  :tired:  They are all doing fine but having to give extra feeds, I think in the long run it is better to bottle feed them as mum really isn't interested.  I'm going to see about getting her spayed the end of next week and then she can go home.  If things change in the meantime and she accepts the kittens, then I'll keep her with them until they are weaned.

Offline Ralph's mum (angie)

• Super Cat
  • Rainbow Bridge Babies Bob, Max and Ralph 🌈💔
  • Slave to: Harvey and Ruby the mutts!!
« Reply #28 on: September 11, 2007, 17:20:12 PM »
 :hug: Hope all is well today  :hug:
Cats don't come when they are called,
They take a message and get back to you later.
                           Wilfred P. Lampton

Offline Bazsmum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Bazzy Bazilla
    • The Animal Rescue Site
« Reply #27 on: September 11, 2007, 17:12:23 PM »
So sorry you're having trouble with the feral mum Dawn.  Sounds like some hand rearing for the little ones, give me a shout if you need help.  I do have a mum whose babies have now all gone to their new homes but she is feeding any little one who likes a drink.  Took her to the Vet on Friday for pre spay check but Vet says she still has too much milk so have to wait at least another week - could this be fate telling us something?

Bump sounds like a great alternative  :wow: ;)

Offline LesleyW

• Super Cat
  • Slave to: Many and varied
« Reply #26 on: September 10, 2007, 11:14:15 AM »
Even the smallest feline is a masterpiece (Leonardo da Vinci)

Offline Desley (booktigger)

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Molly, my wonderful babe
  • Slave to: Lucy
« Reply #25 on: September 10, 2007, 07:45:01 AM »
RIP little ones. Fingers crossed for the others Dawn, and it is so good that this will be her last litter, she is too old to keep going through this.
Please spay your cat

Offline Bazsmum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Bazzy Bazilla
    • The Animal Rescue Site
« Reply #24 on: September 10, 2007, 06:04:56 AM »
OMG! RIP two little kitty's  :(

Nature is cruel at times  :(

Hope something comes up for these babes and mum  :hug: :hug:

Offline Pinkbear (Julie)

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Honorary Cat
  • Where are we supposed to sleep, then?
« Reply #23 on: September 10, 2007, 02:08:27 AM »
Is there no chance of getting the remaining babies on to another mum, Dawn?  :-:

It does sound like she's had enough, doesn't it? Poor love! She must have had dozens...  :(

Offline Dawn (DiddyDawn)

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #22 on: September 10, 2007, 01:38:32 AM »
I'm not sure what to do about mum cat  :scared:  She just isn't interested in the babies for some reason, she has been fine up until Friday  :(  Everytime they go near her, she is trying to get away and not lying down properly for them to feed.  I have tried leaving her to it so as not to stress her out but sadly 2 babies have now died.  She's eating and looks bright but I don't want to leave the babies in with her if she's not going to let them feed.  I was up til 6.30am this morning with the smallest one as he'd been pushed to one side......sadly he didn't make it  :'(  I then got up for work and another had died  :'(  I had a cardboard box in with her so at least she would have somewhere to hide but with that in there, she was leaving the babies in the box, and she's sleeping outside  :sneaky:  I took the box out but she's decided now, she'd rather sleep in her litter tray and that way the babies can't get to her so it's a bit of a nightmare  :tired:  I've substituted their feeds a few times until I decide what would be for the best.  I was concerned initially she wasn't well but she does seem okay, I'll have a word with the vets tomorrow to see whether it would be worth getting her on some antibiotics just in case she has a touch of mastitis and then take it from there.  She has obviously stopped feeding them for a reason but not sure whether it's medical or psychological, this is the worse thing with the feral one's as there's no easy way of checking them  :sad no:  The other option re the babies, is to take them out, let her milk dry out, get her done and return her........decisions, decisions  :Crazy:

Where she came from, the people did say she wasn't too bril after the last litter and that she looked ill after the birth.  She lost a lot of weight and generally wasn't herself until the kittens got older and were nearly weaned.  This was one of the reasons I wanted to have them aborted rather than putting her through the whole ordeal again.  She is approx 7 years old so she's not a youngster, I'm just pleased this will be her final litter and she can have a long deserved rest.

Offline clarenmax

• FIV & FELV/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • My Bridge Baby Max, October 2000 - July 2009 xxx
« Reply #21 on: September 09, 2007, 17:18:44 PM »
Well done, that's great news  ;D

Make custom Glitter Graphics

Poot, adopted 14th August 2009. I'm sure Maxy sent you to me sweetie xx

Offline Ela

• Royal Cat
« Reply #20 on: September 08, 2007, 08:23:36 AM »
Thank goodness for that I bet you are so relieved, the pressure is off, until the next time.
RULES ARE FOR THE OBEDIENCE OF FOOLS AND GUIDENCE OF WISE MEN.

Offline Dawn (DiddyDawn)

• Honorary Cat
Re: Total Disaster!!
« Reply #19 on: September 08, 2007, 04:43:40 AM »
It is now 4.30 am and I've managed to trap mum and she is now with her kittens safe and sound in a cage  :yes:  She has got the most beautiful tabby babies.........all 6 of them  :Luv:  :Luv:  :Luv:  :Luv:  :Luv:  It was imperitive really I got her today, she's been a really good mum up to now and as soon as the babies cried, they were quiet within seconds but today for some reason, she left them crying  :tired:  I managed to rescue them earlier from under the stairs to give them a quick bottle feed and then quickly put them back thinking she would get agitated, but she just sat there, no hissing, spitting..........nothing  :Dont know:  I'm not sure whether she's tired out by the whole process or whether she's getting a little peed off but she's been eating really well and seems to be fine.  My son managed to give her a little stroke shortly after trapping her and she seemed quite chilled out.  She's had something else to eat and the babies have all got a full tummy from earlier, fingers crossed in the morning I'll come down and she'll be snuggled up with them  :wish:

I'm now going to bed myself as I've got work in a few hours  :nite:

Offline Dawn (DiddyDawn)

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #18 on: September 03, 2007, 16:39:19 PM »
Sounds like a bit of a nightmare there... especially with young Ernie/Freddie/Emile or whatever he's called being possibly a carrier for some scary virus.

He's fine and I'm not too worried, Sean was just concerned if he was rehomed with others, he may shed but he's still not 100%, he's fine in himself, still gaining weight and still lively and he didn't refer to her as having a scary virus.  I think with a lot of things, stress will bring out certain illnesses and as long as he's here, he'll be stress free  ;)

Still not managed to catch the mum, I've been putting the trap down but she won't go in so I've had to put food out for her.........she needs all her strength at the moment.  I did have a shock last night though, went in to retrieve her dishes and just put my hand through, and I got a hiss  :sneaky:  I then poked my head through and she was literally inche's away from my hand, she didn't move and stayed put  ;D  I'm hoping this is a good sign and maybe she is starting to trust me as I've not mithered her, I'll try again with the trap later and see what happens.
« Last Edit: September 03, 2007, 16:43:27 PM by Dawn (DiddyDawn) »

Offline Beccles

• Distinguished Cat
  • Daphne and Elettra born 18.06.06, Figaro 23.08.07
    • My weblog: Comprehension Dawns
« Reply #17 on: September 03, 2007, 16:26:00 PM »
How you doing, Dawn?

Sounds like a bit of a nightmare there... especially with young Ernie/Freddie/Emile or whatever he's called being possibly a carrier for some scary virus.
Spaying and neutering saves lives.
Nobody has a right to own a cat. It's a privilege.

Offline Schmew

• Distinguished Cat
« Reply #16 on: August 31, 2007, 17:27:50 PM »
Crikey Dawn sounds like fun and games! Good luck getting them sorted

Offline Dawn (DiddyDawn)

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #15 on: August 31, 2007, 02:39:52 AM »
Would this help?

:evillaugh:  Yes it probably would Ruth  ;)  I've still not retrieved mum or kittens, I think I will have to play a waiting game  :sneaky:  Kittens sound as if they're okay though so I'm not over worried and the food is disappearing that I'm putting in there for her.  The noises have kept the dog entertained the last couple of days anyway  :evillaugh:

Offline Sam (Fussy_Furball)

• Marketing/Lost&Found/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Foxy (RIP), Zephyr (RIP), Rosina (RIP) & Oliver
« Reply #14 on: August 29, 2007, 22:20:59 PM »
 :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: very funny Ruth.
In ancient times cats were worshiped as gods; they have not forgotten this.

Offline Bazsmum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Bazzy Bazilla
    • The Animal Rescue Site
« Reply #13 on: August 29, 2007, 22:14:14 PM »
Would this help?

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #12 on: August 29, 2007, 17:38:42 PM »
Has mum & babies been recovered yet?

Offline Ralph's mum (angie)

• Super Cat
  • Rainbow Bridge Babies Bob, Max and Ralph 🌈💔
  • Slave to: Harvey and Ruby the mutts!!
« Reply #11 on: August 29, 2007, 15:43:05 PM »
Poor you  :hug: ,hope all goes well to get to  mum and her babies  :Luv:

poor dog he must be wondering what the hecks going on in there  ;)
Cats don't come when they are called,
They take a message and get back to you later.
                           Wilfred P. Lampton

Offline Liz

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Here come the boys!!!!
« Reply #10 on: August 29, 2007, 13:44:53 PM »
Good luck Dawn you know you really needed to have a clear out anyway and Mum feral has just bought the idea forward

Hope all goes well and that you get Mum where you want her with all the kittens to :Crazy:
Liz and the Clan Cats and Dogs

Offline clarenmax

• FIV & FELV/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • My Bridge Baby Max, October 2000 - July 2009 xxx
« Reply #9 on: August 29, 2007, 13:20:07 PM »
At least she is the safe and warm, even if it is a cupboard for now!

Good luck in getting them out Dawn

Make custom Glitter Graphics

Poot, adopted 14th August 2009. I'm sure Maxy sent you to me sweetie xx

Offline Bazsmum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Bazzy Bazilla
    • The Animal Rescue Site
« Reply #8 on: August 29, 2007, 13:18:37 PM »
Hmmm somebody has cupboards like mine  :evillaugh:

Good luck getting mummy sorted out soon  ;)

Offline Desley (booktigger)

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Molly, my wonderful babe
  • Slave to: Lucy
« Reply #7 on: August 29, 2007, 08:18:36 AM »
Fingers crossed you sort her out.
Please spay your cat

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #6 on: August 28, 2007, 21:25:32 PM »
Oh bless her, i hope you can get her out ok

Offline Ela

• Royal Cat
« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2007, 21:19:14 PM »
Oh! dear, at least she is indoors and safe. I agree traping her may be the best option.
RULES ARE FOR THE OBEDIENCE OF FOOLS AND GUIDENCE OF WISE MEN.

Offline Michelle (furbabystar)

• Royal Cat
  • My Baby - Issey
« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2007, 21:15:30 PM »
Oh Dawn it could only happen to you  :rofl:

Fingers crossed you manage to get Mum and babies out safely xx

Offline Dawn (DiddyDawn)

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2007, 20:52:35 PM »
I think the only way I'm going to do it is to try and trap her again, I will then have to try and get in to get access to the kittens which will mean clearing everything out  :tired:  One of my dogs is lay next to the stairs mesmerised by the squeaking that keep emitting from there  :evillaugh:

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2007, 20:49:45 PM »
Oh boy  :(

Cant you sorta cage off the entrance so she and kittens can sorta migrate to the cage?

Offline Dawn (DiddyDawn)

• Honorary Cat
Total Disaster - MUM IS NOW CAUGHT!!!
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2007, 20:48:07 PM »
I had the pregnant feral cat caged in the kitchen until a space in the shed can be sorted and she's managed to get out  >:(  She decided to go under my stairs which is off the kitchen, and I can now hear squeaking which means she has given birth  :sneaky:  God knows how I'm going to catch her now because it's a bit awkard getting to her  :notlisten:
« Last Edit: September 08, 2007, 04:45:21 AM by Dawn (DiddyDawn) »

Link to CatChat