Author Topic: Clapton mouth problems - again  (Read 9861 times)

Offline Desley (booktigger)

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Molly, my wonderful babe
  • Slave to: Lucy
Re: Clapton mouth problems - again
« Reply #10 on: August 28, 2007, 10:47:33 AM »
i personally would see if the vet would remove all his teeth, rather than just the troublesome one - they can do things while htey are under to help the strain on the kidneys, such as put them on a drip, and certain anaesthetics are better than others. At his age, I personally think it would be better to do it than have to go through this on a regular basis.
Please spay your cat

Offline clarenmax

• FIV & FELV/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • My Bridge Baby Max, October 2000 - July 2009 xxx
« Reply #9 on: August 28, 2007, 10:35:17 AM »
If the teeth are causing problems Mark, he's probably better of without them.  I know that cats can do very well with very few or no teeth at all in some cases.  It must be horrible for him when eating is painful.

Sending a gentle headrub his way  :Luv:

Make custom Glitter Graphics

Poot, adopted 14th August 2009. I'm sure Maxy sent you to me sweetie xx

Offline ems

• Super Cat
  • My two gorgeous girls, Nina (white) and Kiki
« Reply #8 on: August 28, 2007, 10:24:13 AM »
Oh poor Clapton  :(

All I know is how much an ache from wisdom teeth coming through hurts so I can't imagine how your poor Clapton must feel  :-[

Hope you get to the vets ok later and get him feeling a bit better  :hug:

Offline Mark

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
    • AnimalAid - Support Humane Charities
« Reply #7 on: August 28, 2007, 10:16:55 AM »
Thanks Clare. I hate that he has had mouth pain on & off for years. this will be his 5th extraction in as many years - although more than one tooth each time  :'( he can't have more than 2 left  :(

If he does have it, I will get them to clip his claws as he can't chew the sheath off like other cats and he has talons now. I am starting another thread about concerns regarding this.
DO NOT BREED OR BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE

I believe I am not interested to know whether Vivisection produces results that are profitable to the human race or doesn't. To know that the results are profitable to the race would not remove my hostility to it.  Mark Twain

Offline clarenmax

• FIV & FELV/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • My Bridge Baby Max, October 2000 - July 2009 xxx
« Reply #6 on: August 28, 2007, 10:09:39 AM »
Oh poor Clapton  :(  I hope the vets can find a way of removing or at least treating the troublesome tooth, it must be awful for both of you  :hug:

Make custom Glitter Graphics

Poot, adopted 14th August 2009. I'm sure Maxy sent you to me sweetie xx

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2007, 10:07:03 AM »
Thanks Lynn. I'm sure he know his stuff but will find the thread and make sure he isn't using that. If he decides to extract, I'm sure he will suggest an overnight but I won't allow that as clapton gets so upset. I have wasted so much food that I was in Tesco at 8am to get some he likes but no joy  :( - he ate one piece of wafer-thin turkey ham and yelped :(

« Last Edit: August 28, 2007, 10:08:17 AM by Mark »

I believe I am not interested to know whether Vivisection produces results that are profitable to the human race or doesn't. To know that the results are profitable to the race would not remove my hostility to it.  Mark Twain

Offline CurlyCatz

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • "Cody"
« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2007, 10:00:42 AM »
I think you are thinking of the particular antibiotic gillian's suzie had which apparently is contra indicated for kidney dysfunction..however i am quite sure there are many antibiotics suitable and are not contraindicated.

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2007, 09:51:33 AM »
I wish they could take the tooth out and be done with it - I know how it feels and its not nice   :(

Can the anti-b jab affect his kidneys?

He is due for bloods anyway so maybe the vet can take a view. Not confident that his numbers will be any better than before though.

Offline CurlyCatz

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • "Cody"
« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2007, 09:40:04 AM »
Poor Clapton.

A trip to you know who i think Mark..sounds like he definately needs painkiller/antinflammatory.

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
Clapton mouth problems - again
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2007, 09:37:17 AM »
The last time he was in, the vet said there was some inflammation but he didn't want to compromise Clapton's kidneys with anaesthetic so he gave him an antibiotic jab instead of removing the tooth. He has barely eaten over the last 24hrs and yelps in pain if he tries to eat. I am getting him to the vet today but can't go until tonight for various reasons. I am worried as I don't want him to have these flareups every few months. Also, I read a thread a while ago about antibiotic jabs not being good. Any advice?

PS - with the not eating, it also means I haven't been able to get a fortekor down him which makes it worse. I tried to look in his mouthlast night but he yelped and ran away.

He went over the back to get away and got attacked by a horrible tom that was screaming at him  >:(
« Last Edit: August 28, 2007, 09:37:42 AM by Mark »

Link to CatChat