Author Topic: Clapton mouth problems - again  (Read 9848 times)

Offline Christine (Blip)

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Blip
Re: Clapton mouth problems - again
« Reply #50 on: August 29, 2007, 21:16:03 PM »
And I am late again - but glad to hear that Clapton is making a speedy recovery from his dental work.   :hug: to him.

Did you wash his fleeces for him?  ;)
I'm a member of the British Humanist Association, the national charity supporting and representing people who seek to live good lives without religious or superstitious beliefs http://www.humanism.org.uk/home

Offline ems

• Super Cat
  • My two gorgeous girls, Nina (white) and Kiki
« Reply #49 on: August 29, 2007, 21:11:50 PM »
Ah great news about Clapton  :Luv:

Mark you must be so relieved, no more dentals and numbers up... Not too shabby!

See what all of our healing vibes did, we are bloody good aren't we?!  ;)
« Last Edit: August 29, 2007, 21:12:06 PM by ems (nina+kiki's mum) »

Offline Mark

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
    • AnimalAid - Support Humane Charities
« Reply #48 on: August 29, 2007, 21:08:37 PM »
I'm amazed at his recovery. He has had 2 pouches of whiskas senior in gravy, 1/2 foil tray of Sheba duck terrine and some turkey roll - all washed down with some dirty green water from the garden  :evillaugh:

He is in the garden again staring into space  ;D

Maybe Tesco own in Jelly is good for him - thats mainly what he eats now. I think he only ate the senior as he was so hungry.
« Last Edit: August 29, 2007, 21:09:35 PM by Mark »
DO NOT BREED OR BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE

I believe I am not interested to know whether Vivisection produces results that are profitable to the human race or doesn't. To know that the results are profitable to the race would not remove my hostility to it.  Mark Twain

Offline alisonandarchie

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Archie's mum
« Reply #47 on: August 29, 2007, 20:22:58 PM »
Really great news, what a relief for you and Clapton of course. :wow:

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
« Reply #46 on: August 29, 2007, 19:51:15 PM »
Thanks MM - lets just hope it will improve his health. He is in the garden at the moment. I thought he would need to sleep it off. When he had the dental last november, he was in a bad way and hid under the bed etc. I'm convinced that he didn't get any pain relief the last time  >:(

I believe I am not interested to know whether Vivisection produces results that are profitable to the human race or doesn't. To know that the results are profitable to the race would not remove my hostility to it.  Mark Twain

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #45 on: August 29, 2007, 19:13:56 PM »
Great news  ;D
Your hard work has paid off Mark

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
« Reply #44 on: August 29, 2007, 19:05:07 PM »
I got him some whiskas senior in gravy and he has had 2 pouches of his favourite flavour - whitefish  :evillaugh:

He also has loads of Sheba duck terrine for later - another favourite.

He had stopped shaking. He was in the garden sunning himself a while ago (I ignored the vets advice to keep him in - he won't go anywhere  :evillaugh: )

I'm sure it will be sore tomorrow when the metacam wears off. But sore is better than tooth pain.
« Last Edit: August 29, 2007, 19:06:17 PM by Mark »

Offline clarenmax

• FIV & FELV/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • My Bridge Baby Max, October 2000 - July 2009 xxx
« Reply #43 on: August 29, 2007, 19:02:37 PM »
Fantastic news about his bloods Mark, and also glad they removed all the teeth, no more hassle or mouth pain for poor Clapton  :hug:

Make custom Glitter Graphics

Poot, adopted 14th August 2009. I'm sure Maxy sent you to me sweetie xx

Offline swampmaxmum

• Super Cat
  • SwampMax happy on their sunny French balcon 05!
« Reply #42 on: August 29, 2007, 18:16:16 PM »
that's great news. Hope he's back noshing his tescos in jelly asap. You could try blending it if his mouth's still sore so he can just lick it up. If it tastes the 'same' blended of course lol.
good luck with him.

Offline blackcat

• Moderating/Auction Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Home of Smidgen, Sebastian and Billy.
« Reply #41 on: August 29, 2007, 18:13:43 PM »
good news all around then. Some cats can eat dry food with no teeth, but you might like to wait until his gums have healed before you try it. Excellent news about his bloods!

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
« Reply #40 on: August 29, 2007, 17:59:30 PM »
Just picked a wobbly Clapton up.

The receptionist called me at 3.40pm and said he was coming round. I asked if I could pick him up early so she booked me in for 4.40pm instead of 5.20pm  ;D I was worried as she said the vet wanted to speak to me about his bloods  :scared:

Anyway, all his teeth have gone - the vet said they were all rotten  :sick:

As for the bloods..........for the second time, his numbers have improved  ;D ;D ;D ;D . I said I thought they could only get worse. The vet said he must be one of the 20% of cats that have dramatic improvements "for a while" - he said no doubt the fortekor is helping. I asked about pain relief. He said he had given Clapton another Metacam jab and to bring him in tomorrow if he seemed in pain as "I don't like to give old cats too much metacam" - I objected and said he is only 8!!!  >:(
The vet said -"well middled aged then"

So - no more dentals and improvement in kidney funtion despite regular food (Maybe tesco own in jelly is low phosphrus? - it was the vet who said animals know whats good for them)

Offline alisonandarchie

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Archie's mum
« Reply #39 on: August 29, 2007, 11:41:03 AM »
Thinking of you and Clapton. Sending lots of healing vibes. :hug:

Offline ems

• Super Cat
  • My two gorgeous girls, Nina (white) and Kiki
« Reply #38 on: August 29, 2007, 11:25:33 AM »
Healing vibes from me and my girls on the way down from Scouseland.  :hug:

Got everything crossed Mark and will be thinking of you and the lovely Clapton today  :hug:

Offline Susanne (urbantigers)

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • PA to Mosi & Kito
« Reply #37 on: August 29, 2007, 11:24:09 AM »
Good lucks and vibes for Clapton!

Offline clarenmax

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #36 on: August 29, 2007, 11:16:53 AM »
Loads of healing vibes on their way now  :Luv:

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
« Reply #35 on: August 29, 2007, 11:16:31 AM »
Well off to vets now and will collect him tonight. Please send clappy healing vibes  :Luv:

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
« Reply #34 on: August 29, 2007, 10:34:23 AM »
Got everything crossed for Clapton today Mark, you do realise he will need to be hand fed deli meat for the next week or so  ;)

So whats new  :tired:

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Save a life draw/Commercial Assistant/Moderating Staff
  • Royal Cat
« Reply #33 on: August 29, 2007, 10:25:19 AM »
Got everything crossed for Clapton today Mark, you do realise he will need to be hand fed deli meat for the next week or so  ;)

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
« Reply #32 on: August 29, 2007, 10:20:18 AM »
I will ask again but I think there is an issue with healthy back teeth being difficult to remove without damaging the jawbone. If the tooth is rotten, it is easier to extract. I wish I could remember the old thread. I can't imagine the vet would hold on to teeth to get future business out of it (I hope) I do agree though. no teeth is probably better than 2, its not as if they are of any use. If he becomes completely toothless, I will try to get him onto part dry diet as he will only eat cheap wet food. His coat is dull but probably more to do with CRF than anything.

Offline Desley (booktigger)

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Molly, my wonderful babe
  • Slave to: Lucy
« Reply #31 on: August 29, 2007, 07:36:09 AM »
Fingers crossed for him today, but I would push again for them all to be taken out, esp as he has health issues, it is much better to have one GA than to go through this again in the future. And you are the one paying for it. I am sure he will be fine, it just might take longer for him to come round properly.
Please spay your cat

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
« Reply #30 on: August 29, 2007, 07:32:18 AM »
Thanks everyone. Clapton sends Billy a gentle headbutt  :Luv:

It would be one of those rare days he is after breakfast. He is chirruping and looking longingly at me  :(

I feel so awful. I will wash and dry his fleeces while he is gone. We just have to convince ourselves its for the best and in the longrun its the best thing. I can't help thinking his mouth problems are what caused his CRF. He had foul breath when I met OH. I'm surprised between the rescue and vet that rehomed, they didn't treat early on, although every time I take him for more teeth out, they say the others are OK so there must be something underlying. I suppose it must be something to do with poor nutrition when he was living rough  :(

Offline blackcat

• Moderating/Auction Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Home of Smidgen, Sebastian and Billy.
« Reply #29 on: August 29, 2007, 06:16:23 AM »
best wishes for clapton today

Offline Dawn (DiddyDawn)

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #28 on: August 29, 2007, 01:05:30 AM »
Poor Clapton and I hope they manage to get him sorted out bless him.  I know it's a worry with Billy's teeth and gums, he's got to have one out today but when they've had a proper look, he may end up with more out   :'( 

Good luck with Clapton and Billy sends him big purrs and headbutts as he knows what he's going through  :hug:

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
« Reply #27 on: August 28, 2007, 21:42:08 PM »
Thanks everyone  ;D

I'm  nervous about it but it has to be done - poor little sausage doesn't deserve so much pain  :'(

Offline clarenmax

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #26 on: August 28, 2007, 20:33:13 PM »
Best of luck for tomorrow Mark  :hug:

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #25 on: August 28, 2007, 20:24:16 PM »
Good luck to Clapton for tomorrow.

At 18 months Simon had his healthy cheek teeth out and no probs so dont let the vets scare you off.   :hug:
Its much better to have one GA now.

Offline swampmaxmum

• Super Cat
« Reply #24 on: August 28, 2007, 20:11:40 PM »
Good for Clapton! Hope he enjoys his Tesco chicken in jelly (has he got a sponsorship deal yet on that one?!). Seriously, hope it all goes well and he's out of pain very quickly. AFAIK you have to starve them for 12 hours before an op, plus they're not going to operate before normal surgery so you may be ok up until 10 or so tonight??
Good luck tomorrow.

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
« Reply #23 on: August 28, 2007, 19:08:29 PM »
Well he has inflamed gums. The vet gave him a metacam jab and wants him in for the day tomorrow. Apparently he has 4 teeth left, the 2 top back ones on each side. The vet said he may just take 2 out. I said I don't want to be back in 6 months with him in pain again and want them all out. The vet said "lets see how we go tomorrow" - estimated cost is £195.00 - in at 11.40am, out at 5.20pm. They said they will give him more metacam in the morning.

Edit 7.35pm - he has had fortekor & turkey surprise  :evillaugh: and is now tucking into Tesco chicken in Jelly (his favorite - this week)  :evillaugh:

The vet said give him very litle tonight and nothing tomorrow. I said he needs some food as he hasn't eaten since saturday. The vet laughed and said oh well another day won't hurt then. I asked the receptionist and she said he won't be done til lunchtime so feed him tonight  ;D - the way I see it, he won't be eating much tomorrow and 4 days without food is too long!! - so there  ;D
« Last Edit: August 28, 2007, 19:38:12 PM by Mark »

Offline clarenmax

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #22 on: August 28, 2007, 16:53:39 PM »
Aw, poor baby  :Luv:

Offline Gillian Harvey

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Sam RIP
    • Scruffy Joe's Cat Grooming & Cat Sitting
« Reply #21 on: August 28, 2007, 16:43:42 PM »
Oh bless him!  :Luv:

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
« Reply #20 on: August 28, 2007, 16:00:53 PM »
I don't want a repeat of this though - he was so poorly the last time  :'( (he always buries his face when his mouth hurts  :(

Offline clarenmax

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #19 on: August 28, 2007, 15:01:36 PM »
I think that's a bit harsh a suggestion from your Mum  :o

There is bound to be a solution, and hopefully the vet today will be able to shed some light on the way forward so that you don't keep having these problems on a recurring basis

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
« Reply #18 on: August 28, 2007, 14:59:33 PM »
I will see what the vet has to say. As you say, getting him to eat is top of the list. I will take a fortekor with me and get the vet to administer it. 5'm sure he will get the jab again. Its a tricky one. My mum said that its unfair for him to have mouth problems every few months and it might be kinder to PTS. I think that is a bit extreme. I love my clapton and want to do whats best for him. I may ask for a referral to an animal hospital if there is a safe way to put him under during extraction.

Offline swampmaxmum

• Super Cat
« Reply #17 on: August 28, 2007, 12:58:05 PM »
good luck with Clapton. I might mention to the vet that he's not been able to have his fortekor as it affects his bp if they're going to knock him out to remove a tooth (?) although not sure how much diff a day or two makes. Sounds like he has some kind of abscess - mega ouch. If you can't get pills down him, there's the 48hr antibiotic jab but no idea if that one's entirely safe with CRF cats either. I guess the priority's to get rid of that pain so he can eat a bit.

Offline clarenmax

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #16 on: August 28, 2007, 12:47:30 PM »
Good luck for later  :hug:

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
« Reply #15 on: August 28, 2007, 12:21:24 PM »
Well he is booked in for 6.30pm (I have people checking in so best I could do - he is sleeping peacefully at the moment  :Luv: )

The receptionist said "If the vet decides to keep him in" and I thought "I will be the judge of that"  :evillaugh:

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
« Reply #14 on: August 28, 2007, 11:32:28 AM »
Thanks Gillian - I will keep a beady eye on the vet  :shify:

Offline Gillian Harvey

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Sam RIP
    • Scruffy Joe's Cat Grooming & Cat Sitting
« Reply #13 on: August 28, 2007, 11:30:57 AM »
Mark, the antib used on Suzie was Convenia - a long acting one, which is containdicated with kidney failure, just in case you need to know the name of it.

Offline Desley (booktigger)

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Molly, my wonderful babe
  • Slave to: Lucy
« Reply #12 on: August 28, 2007, 10:59:11 AM »
I know when Ginger had his last dental, he had 1 good tooth out of 6, so i told them to take them all out, it was his third dental in as many years, I just dont know which tooth it was - they were iffy until I said that the alternative was him coming back in a years time for another anaesthetic (he was 13 though). And if he has had that many extractions, they aren't that healthy, so it might not be as hard.
Please spay your cat

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
« Reply #11 on: August 28, 2007, 10:52:23 AM »
I suggested it to the vet the last time but he said back teeth can be problematic and he didn't think it a good idea to remove healthy teeth. There was a thread about it at the time (last november I think) and I'm sure it was Lynn that said healthy back teeth are difficult to extract. It seems like a good idea to me and possibly in a healthy cat it would be the best thing to do. He may only be 8 but I don't see him making old bones sadly  :'(

Link to CatChat