Author Topic: Dilemma regarding Ging  (Read 2396 times)

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
Re: Dilemma regarding Ging
« Reply #11 on: August 26, 2007, 10:42:23 AM »
I would test too, at some point the values will come back higher and then you can start altering diet to slow things down.

Offline Mark

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
    • AnimalAid - Support Humane Charities
« Reply #10 on: August 26, 2007, 07:43:30 AM »
I hate the idea of putting them though it but I think its a case of cruel to be kind. I have 3 to have bloods done in September. Clapton because he has 6 monthly bloods done and the other 2 as they are around 8 (rescue so not sure of age) I notice Willow drinks a fair amount these days and is grouchier as she gets older so I want to make sure there is nothing medical causing it. Kylie is obese (although on a prescription diet now) and I want to make sure there is nothing nasty lurking. I don't believe in nature taking its course. I think my cats deserve medical attention as much/if not more than us. Especially as they are so good at hiding pain and illness.
DO NOT BREED OR BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE

I believe I am not interested to know whether Vivisection produces results that are profitable to the human race or doesn't. To know that the results are profitable to the race would not remove my hostility to it.  Mark Twain

Offline blackcat

• Moderating/Auction Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Home of Smidgen, Sebastian and Billy.
« Reply #9 on: August 25, 2007, 22:24:12 PM »
Bob had annual geriatric blood profiles done from when he was 10 until he died (age 19). He always came back fit as a horse and with the results of a seven year old but I felt it was money well spent to be confident he was well. The only cat I have had die from liver failure was only 7 and had developed metastatic cancer - the lovely Claudius who I still miss madly. Crystals in the urine seem to be the main probs for most of my cats and I don't know why as they have occured in cats who live on canned food, and those who eat only the best quality foods ... It's a mystery to me ..

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #8 on: August 25, 2007, 21:06:41 PM »
I wouldnt do tests if he seems fine, is eating well , using the tray and his weight is stable.

Offline Desley (booktigger)

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Molly, my wonderful babe
  • Slave to: Lucy
« Reply #7 on: August 25, 2007, 13:14:44 PM »
I personally do yearly bloods, I think it is an important part of looking after our oldies health, and I disagree completely with letting nature take its course, I have seen cats allowed to go 'naturally' from kidney failure, and it isn't pleasant, or fair on the poor cat.
Please spay your cat

Offline Susanne (urbantigers)

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • PA to Mosi & Kito
« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2007, 18:44:40 PM »
I would have them done too.  Jaffa had a full senior blood panel done last year (he was 10 in June) and I'm glad I had it done as it showed the values relating to kidneys were high.  Still within the normal range, but at the top end of normal.  Since then I've altered his diet a bit to increase the amount of wet food he eats and pay some attention to the phosphorus content of what he eats.  He'll have repeat tests soon and if they've gone up then I'll know that I need to do more to try and prevent them getting to the point where he has CRF.  He shows no signs of being unwell whatsoever, but I like to know the state of his organs.  Catching things early can make a huge difference to the prognosis.

Offline Gillian Harvey

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Sam RIP
    • Scruffy Joe's Cat Grooming & Cat Sitting
« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2007, 17:11:09 PM »
Ging is due for her annual booster next week,infact he's booked in for it next Friday.

Now as many of you know he is 17,18 in December.  I am in a dilemma regarding dong tests on him to check his liver,heart,kidney functions etc  he seems healthy enough and my OH is totally against it and is saying that I should "just let nature take its course" but the way I look at it is if theres anything wrong in the early stages then it would be better in the long run. 

What would you guys do and those of you who have elderly cats do you get them checked yearly?

If I was planning a booster for an elderly cat, I would probably get bloods done first, just to make sure he is compeltely healthy. All the vaccine manufacturers state that vaccines should only be given to healthy cats. At 17 I'd get bloods done anyway - because any probs spotted early enough could be treated, depending on what was found, if anything of course, as he may get a clean bill of health - and then that would put your mind at rest wouldnt it?  :)

Offline Pinkbear (Julie)

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Honorary Cat
  • Where are we supposed to sleep, then?
« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2007, 17:09:53 PM »
There are plenty of people here whose cats have kidney failure for example, but who live very happy lives on one or two tablets a day. On the other hand, I had a cat go rapidly down hill and die in 2 days with liver failure. Like Angie, I wished I'd taken her for a routine test - I'd have at least known what to expect.

When are cats are ill, no matter what the cause, they can't tell us. If we know their kidneys are failing, then we notice them doing down hill, it helps if we know what the cause may be...  :sneaky:

Offline Ralph's mum (angie)

• Super Cat
  • Rainbow Bridge Babies Bob, Max and Ralph 🌈💔
  • Slave to: Harvey and Ruby the mutts!!
« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2007, 16:42:41 PM »
I was thinking the same about Bob as he would have been 7 this year and I was going to ask the vet same question when I took him in for his booster,
unfortunately he took ill week before jab was due, turned out it might have been his kidneys, now I beat myself up saying if I had got his jab early and bloods done
would he still be with me now as they might have picked up something they could have helped save his wee life...................
sorry crying again I just miss him so much its been nearly 3 months ......... but at the end of the day as OH says nature has its way, what right for one is not necessarily right for an other
Cats don't come when they are called,
They take a message and get back to you later.
                           Wilfred P. Lampton

Offline Sarah (seldom_use)

• Super Cat
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2007, 16:39:08 PM »
i'm not sure gwen, but i think it's recommended to get your 'oldie' cat checked yearly after 9, tests like liver, heart etc.

Offline Gwen

• Honorary Cat
Dilemma regarding Ging
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2007, 16:32:06 PM »
Ging is due for her annual booster next week,infact he's booked in for it next Friday.

Now as many of you know he is 17,18 in December.  I am in a dilemma regarding dong tests on him to check his liver,heart,kidney functions etc  he seems healthy enough and my OH is totally against it and is saying that I should "just let nature take its course" but the way I look at it is if theres anything wrong in the early stages then it would be better in the long run. 

What would you guys do and those of you who have elderly cats do you get them checked yearly?
« Last Edit: August 24, 2007, 16:40:52 PM by Gwen »
Love me,love my animals.

Link to CatChat