Author Topic: Cystitis  (Read 2729 times)

Offline clarenmax

• FIV & FELV/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • My Bridge Baby Max, October 2000 - July 2009 xxx
Re: Cystitis
« Reply #18 on: August 28, 2007, 16:52:31 PM »
Hi Gillian, no they've not tried the water fountain yet.  Frank has been very jumpy since his vet visits, and up until the last day or so, had taken to hiding again, so they were really worried that any progress they'd make had been undone since they adopted him.  I think they're nervous of introducing anything else that might scare or upset him at the moment  :(

Make custom Glitter Graphics

Poot, adopted 14th August 2009. I'm sure Maxy sent you to me sweetie xx

Offline Gillian Harvey

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Sam RIP
    • Scruffy Joe's Cat Grooming & Cat Sitting
« Reply #17 on: August 28, 2007, 16:46:18 PM »
Did your friend try the water fountain? The liquid from the chicken sounds like a good plan though.

Offline clarenmax

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #16 on: August 28, 2007, 15:04:20 PM »
Hi Angie, she has tried him with tap and bottled, but just doesn't seem to be interested.  She's made a kind of stew with chicken, and is going to try and tempt him with the liquid from that, as at least its still water, but just tastes a bit nicer.

I can only imagine that he associates drinking with discomfort of peeing at the moment.  He's a very nervous cat as well, so she's doing all she can to keep him calm and not stress him out too much, but I know its hard for her having to do tablets and get him to drink as well.

Offline Angiew

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Honorary Cat
« Reply #15 on: August 28, 2007, 15:00:37 PM »
what sort of water is she trying him with.
Mine all have bottled water. Cats are very sensitive to the chlorine in water. You can also try boiled water.

Offline clarenmax

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #14 on: August 28, 2007, 14:53:31 PM »
Well, I went to see darling Frankie yesterday  :Luv:

He's not quite himself yet, and is still not drinking water voluntarily (cat milk yes, but water no!), so she has syringed some into him just to keep his fluid levels up.  He is eating just fine though, and taking his antibiotics like a good boy, and he's due for a check-up on Thursday.

He was a bit playful though, and had a little session of fight bites with o/h as well, so he's a lot brighter than he was apparently.

I've put all mine and o/h's clothes in the wash, just to be on the safe side with the flu side of things  ;)

Oh, and I've told Tessa to sign up on here as well, but I'm not sure if she will or not, we'll see  ;D

Offline clarenmax

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #13 on: August 24, 2007, 16:35:40 PM »
I'm seeing her on Monday now so I will  :evillaugh:

Offline Gwen

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #12 on: August 24, 2007, 16:33:03 PM »
Hope he improves soon and tell your friend to join up or else :evillaugh:
Love me,love my animals.

Offline clarenmax

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #11 on: August 24, 2007, 08:57:06 AM »
Thanks for all the advice and positve thoughts guys  :thanks:

He went to the vets last night and as expected, it is cystitis.  Tessa was saying 'ooh, how did you know that?', I told her to take a look on Purrs and she'd see lol!  I might get her to sign up one day, but she's very shy and forum's aren't really her thing...

Anyways, haven't spoken to her much so don't know whether its more anti'bs or whatever, but hopefully it will be sorted very soon.

When the vet was doing a general check-up the other day, they also said he's got a bit of arthritis in his front legs, although it doesn't seem to be affecting him.

Offline Desley (booktigger)

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Molly, my wonderful babe
  • Slave to: Lucy
« Reply #10 on: August 24, 2007, 07:58:10 AM »
Fingers crossed - Cystaid is another good thing to use on cats that have cystitis, it is glucosamine based that helps the lining of the bladder, Tom did really well on it. And echo MM's comments about no fish flavours - that applies for his dry as well.
Please spay your cat

Offline Schmew

• Distinguished Cat
« Reply #9 on: August 23, 2007, 23:32:54 PM »
Poor Frankie, I was just looking through to find the thread from last week about his flu. He's really having it tough - sending hugs and good vibes to Frank and his mum

x

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #8 on: August 23, 2007, 19:31:14 PM »
Fish is high in Mg which for cats will crystals in their urine can contribute to the problem  ;D

Offline Gwen

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #7 on: August 23, 2007, 19:10:11 PM »
I hope Frank is ok. If he wont eat normal wet foods then it would be worth trying him on the more expensive brands such as Applaws. Not fish flavours if theres any question over his bladder prob.

why no fish flavours?
Love me,love my animals.

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2007, 17:17:30 PM »
I hope Frank is ok. If he wont eat normal wet foods then it would be worth trying him on the more expensive brands such as Applaws. Not fish flavours if theres any question over his bladder prob.

Offline clarenmax

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2007, 16:02:13 PM »
 :thanks: Gwen, will do  :)

Offline Gwen

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2007, 16:01:08 PM »
Have no advice really just that I am thinking about the wee chap and hope all goes well at the vets.

Please keep us updated :)
Love me,love my animals.

Offline clarenmax

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2007, 13:00:10 PM »
She's managed to get a vet visit for this afternoon, so I'm very pleased she's taken my (limited) advice so far.

Gillian, I've forwarded your thoughts as well, many thanks.  I think she has tried getting him to eat wet food before, but so far he will only eat the dry stuff.  He's quite fussy and is often sick as he eats too quickly, but I've suggested in the past that it could be the food expanding in his stomach as well which is making him sickly.  I think he's on James Wellbeloved though, so its not the cheapy dry food.

Wish little Frankie boy well for later, bless him he's been through it a bit recently  :Luv:

Offline Gillian Harvey

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Sam RIP
    • Scruffy Joe's Cat Grooming & Cat Sitting
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2007, 12:31:06 PM »
He's not drinking much water (although will drink milk), is not peeing much, visiting the tray more regularly, and licking 'that' area more often.

I fairly sure its cystitis, so have told her to ring vets immediately, partiuclarly as he's not drinking much.  Incidentally, he only eats dry food.
What is the normal treatment though?
If its antibiotics, he's already on them for his gum inflammation etc.

Sounds like cystitis, but your right to recommend a vet visit as I'm sure you know how serious it can be for male cats in case they go on to block. Most vets prescribe antibitoics in case there is a bacterial infection, but cystitis usually clears up on its own in a few days anyway.

I'd recommend your friend gets him onto wet food, pref one without grains/cereals and maybe get him a water fountain to encourage more drinking, and hopefully prevent further attacks. Her vet might prescribe Cystease, which is helps to sooth any irritation in the bladder (its not a prescription product, but her vet may have it)

Offline clarenmax

• Purrrrrfect Cat
Cystitis
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2007, 12:15:11 PM »
Hi guys

Just had a call from my friend Tessa (with Frank the FIV boy) who had flu.

He's not drinking much water (although will drink milk), is not peeing much, visiting the tray more regularly, and licking 'that' area more often.

I fairly sure its cystitis, so have told her to ring vets immediately, partiuclarly as he's not drinking much.  Incidentally, he only eats dry food.

What is the normal treatment though?

If its antibiotics, he's already on them for his gum inflammation etc.

I'll let you know how she gets on when she calls the vets anyway, but any further info would also be helpful.

Thanks guys  ;D

Link to CatChat