Author Topic: Blood tests and Dental work  (Read 2098 times)

Offline Desley (booktigger)

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Molly, my wonderful babe
  • Slave to: Lucy
Re: Blood tests and Dental work
« Reply #9 on: August 14, 2007, 08:23:51 AM »
Glad to hear things went well and he got a clean bill of health.
Please spay your cat

Offline Cathy Biscuits mom

• Adult Cat
  • Biscuit
« Reply #8 on: August 14, 2007, 08:23:04 AM »
Morning Everyone

Felix is fine, he had one extraction and a descale and polish (just like we do ha ha). His blood tests showed that liver and kidney functions were well within normal range, infact the vet nurse said that apart from his teeth he's an extremely healthy cat. When I got him home to moms which was about 6.30pm he was so pleased to see her anyone would have thought he'd been away a week rather than 12 hours. He had at least three bowls of food he was so starving and he wouldn't leave her side. So we're got one very happy owner and one extremely healthy happy old moggy who will no doubt last along time now (especially the way mom spoils him).

Thanks for all your good wishes

x

Offline Desley (booktigger)

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Molly, my wonderful babe
  • Slave to: Lucy
« Reply #7 on: August 14, 2007, 08:07:11 AM »
Hope things went well, and the bloods gave him a clear bill of health.
Please spay your cat

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2007, 20:47:14 PM »
Usually they will do tests for an older cat and also put them on a drip.

Sounds like he may have gingivitus which is not to be unexpected in a cat that age  who also was a stray.

I hope it all went well  :hug:

Offline fluffybunny

• Hero Cat
  • Slave to: Geoffrey and Milly
« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2007, 20:40:16 PM »
My cat had a dental last year when he was about 19 - he had the blood tests before hand, these tested kidney and liver function.  His liver was showing a little elevated so my vet put him on a drip overnight to make sure he was well hydrated and prepared for surgery, and then did the op the next day instead.  I remember on here being advised that due to his age, to make sure they use rapinovet as the anaesthetic, which they were, and Sooty absolutely bounced back from surgery. 

He had obviously been in some discomfort for a while and instead of being groggy and whiney after the anaesthetic, he was a "new cat" almost straight away!  He leapt out of the cat carrier that evening and ate normally pretty quickly.  The vet had taken all his remaining back teeth out but after several days he was back eating dried food again without a problem.  He just had antibiotics for a few days afterwards but that was it.

I was warned that they can sometimes dip again over the next few days but he never did; we really thought that we were going to lose the old boy through the op but thanks to my brilliant vet, we had another 10 months with him  :wow:

Good luck, please let us know how your little darling gets on!

Offline tab

• Super Cat
  • Slave to Amber
« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2007, 15:40:11 PM »
My cat Mogs had a dental a few months ago. She had blood tests to check kidneys and to make sure she was ok with anaesthetic. They said if the tests showed one thing they would put her on a drip otherwise they would do as normal. When she came home she was REALLY wobbly. It didnt help that my other cat decided she was a stranger and went for her and Mogs spent 3 days under the bed. She didnt eat or drink OR use the tray until about 5 the next day after I had rushed her back to the vets in a panic. After the anaesthetic wore off she was able to wash herself and 'persuade' Amber to behave and everything went back to normal.
I have to say the vets were amazed at what happened as they said it was unusual so hopefully nothing like that will happen with yours.
Good luck
love
Tab

• Adult Cat
  • Biscuit
« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2007, 14:23:37 PM »
 Thanks Gill

I can explain things abit better to mom now if I'm abit more informed, I'll let you know how he gets on.

Offline Gillian Harvey

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Sam RIP
    • Scruffy Joe's Cat Grooming & Cat Sitting
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2007, 14:18:27 PM »
Hi everyone

My moms old moggy Felix is at the vets at the moment. He's been having problems with his teeth and gums lately so he's gone in for some dental work. The vet said they would also do some blood tests because of his age (he's around 15 /16 hard to know exactly because he was a stray that adopted mom) to check to make sure everything else if working ok. We're just wondering what would they be looking for with the blood tests and when they say dental work what do you think that would involve. Mom reckons the vet said something about his teeth needing to come out and his gums were bleeding abit.

I would think they would be checking his kidney and liver function, I think thats pretty routine with older cats having aneasthetic. The dental will probably involve cleaning, and any extractions if necessary and they'll be looking to see if there are any lesions on the teeth (bit like holes in our teeth), which are really painfull for puss cats and can cause the bleeding gums.

He'll probably feel a bit groggy when he comes home, and they'll tell you to feed him half his normal amount of food and advise soft food - having said that, in my experience, even my cats that have gone through extractions have come home and eaten their normal amount of food at teatime like they'd been starved for days!!  ;D They'll probably give you antibiotics for 5 days or so too.

• Adult Cat
  • Biscuit
Blood tests and Dental work
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2007, 12:38:34 PM »
Hi everyone

My moms old moggy Felix is at the vets at the moment. He's been having problems with his teeth and gums lately so he's gone in for some dental work. The vet said they would also do some blood tests because of his age (he's around 15 /16 hard to know exactly because he was a stray that adopted mom) to check to make sure everything else if working ok. We're just wondering what would they be looking for with the blood tests and when they say dental work what do you think that would involve. Mom reckons the vet said something about his teeth needing to come out and his gums were bleeding abit.

I'll be phoning later to see when we can pick him up but I'd like to know what to be expecting.

Any thoughts?

Link to CatChat