Author Topic: eating mice  (Read 3095 times)

Offline blackcat

• Moderating/Auction Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Home of Smidgen, Sebastian and Billy.
Re: eating mice
« Reply #23 on: August 18, 2007, 11:53:55 AM »
and who says cats can't be trained!! :rofl:

Offline Catjane

• Distinguished Cat
« Reply #22 on: August 18, 2007, 11:49:03 AM »
My friend has an Abbysinnian called Rambo ... very apt because he is a prolific hunter!  Several times a night he wakes Dave up, bringing his prize to him, usually dead but sometimes half alive.  Sometimes he brings in adult rabbits - Dave still hasn't worked out how a large cat can manage to drag a rabbit through the cat-flap!  :rofl:

One night Dave was fed up with the presents when Rambo came in bearing a tiny mouse.  Dave told Rambo "If you're going to wake me up every s**ding night you could at least make it worth it.  Go and catch something worth catching you little bu**er!"  Two hours later, Rambo re-appears with a rat whose size rivalled that of the largest rabbit looking very pleased with himself!!    :rofl:

Offline blackcat

• Moderating/Auction Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Home of Smidgen, Sebastian and Billy.
« Reply #21 on: August 18, 2007, 11:22:21 AM »
My five in Tasmania used to do that to me all the time, but for me it was baby rabbits. Five 'starving cats' flocking into the bathroom to be fed and an equal number of baby bunnies huddled in the corner without a mark on them :rofl:

Offline JackSpratt

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #20 on: August 18, 2007, 10:41:22 AM »
He isnt very quiet either, he trots up to our room , making really loud miaowww's until we wake up, he then proceeds to throw it around the room until he is bored, he then sits down and proceeds to crunch all the way through it, apart from the face.....nice.

Our oldest tom always announces he's caught something. It's a muffled noise due to him having a mouse wedged in his mouth, but he meows all the same!

Carrie, Jack,Toby and Parsley ~ Love and miss you all always.x

Offline Beccles

• Distinguished Cat
  • Daphne and Elettra born 18.06.06, Figaro 23.08.07
    • My weblog: Comprehension Dawns
« Reply #19 on: August 18, 2007, 10:04:58 AM »
Lily -  :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Glad you were nice to the mousey - watch out he doesn't tell all his mates that there's cake round your place, though...
Spaying and neutering saves lives.
Nobody has a right to own a cat. It's a privilege.

Offline lilycat

• Senior Cat
  • Lilycat
« Reply #18 on: August 17, 2007, 22:47:28 PM »
Recently I came home from my nursing placement and as I walked into the front room I was greeted by the usual scene - cats sitting there with a "where have you been...dinner, now!" sort of look about 'em.

Anyway, I notice a little movement in front of the fireplace and see, to my astonishment, a fieldmouse walking across the carpet, in no particular hurry thank you very much. So, after staring at it for a few seconds I gather myself and go into the kitchen to get something to catch said mouse; best I could find was a tupperware container but mousey had decided to sit under a shelf unit so that was a no-go. All this time my little hunters were looking a bit bewildered as to why dinner was not forthcoming and anyway, why was I wandering around with tupperware?

OH was called and asked to pick up mouse traps [humane ones] from B & Q on his way home - I caught the little fella in the trap behind the kitchen bin, 3 days later and on later examination of the other trap, discovered that he'd eaten the cake that was 'bait' before finally getting caught in trap No 2!

So, over a period of 4 days, 5 cats had failed to secure a tiny ickle fieldmouse who had, apparently, spent most of his time strolling about and eating cake....

Fieldmouse was safely released under our fence into next doors garden which is probably where he came from [it's a teeny weeny bit overgrown].

So much for my 'mousers'   

Offline Hippykitty

• Super Cat
  • Victoria, Lucy, Cydric,
« Reply #17 on: August 16, 2007, 12:06:54 PM »

Showing you what a mighty hunter he is smile

Do I detect a Binka fan?

I prefer it when cats eat what they catch, at least the kill hasn't gone to waste.

Hate the idea of putting collars and bells on them. Would you like to tinkle each time you moved?
Cats were once gods; they have never forgotten this, nor have the people they own.

Offline hOrZa

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #16 on: August 13, 2007, 16:59:05 PM »
sorry

heinz :)
Cats are like little bundles of razor blades wrapped in soft fur.

ccmacey

« Reply #15 on: August 13, 2007, 14:28:32 PM »
I meant what breed lol.

My male rabbit can be a bit territorial with my cats and even has a bite if they dont run past him quick enough.

Offline hOrZa

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #14 on: August 13, 2007, 14:24:11 PM »
haven't got at all now, this was when I was a kid about 16 local barn went up all the rats were on the prowl for new home and my rabbit, black medium size one (right monster though) which had the run of the garden to exception to it coming in said garden, looked mighty please with himself too.

Unfortunately we think the rat gave the rabbit something because he passed on about a week later  :(

ccmacey

« Reply #13 on: August 13, 2007, 14:20:04 PM »
How?

What kind of rabbit have you got?

Offline hOrZa

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #12 on: August 13, 2007, 14:18:36 PM »
My rabbit managed to kill a rat pretty big one too :)

ccmacey

« Reply #11 on: August 13, 2007, 14:13:20 PM »
Witty- how does she manage to kill a rabbit?

Offline hOrZa

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #10 on: August 13, 2007, 13:46:11 PM »

sometimes it seems she will go out for a mouse in the same way we go out for a take away...

Maybe you can get her a mobile so she can phone the order in before she goes out :)

Offline Reynard

• Super Cat
  • Pearl & Poppy
    • Post 14 Digital Motorsport Photography
« Reply #9 on: August 13, 2007, 13:40:22 PM »
:shify: now i know they like to leave you presents but is this normal ??

Very much so, Steve. My Pearl is a demon hunter and will bring in anything from mice through pigeons and rabbits. She will eat her prey - sometimes it seems she will go out for a mouse in the same way we go out for a take away...

My boy Toby hunts as well, but nothing like as much and he just leaves his presents on the door mat.

Offline Ralph's mum (angie)

• Super Cat
  • Rainbow Bridge Babies Bob, Max and Ralph 🌈💔
  • Slave to: Harvey and Ruby the mutts!!
« Reply #8 on: August 13, 2007, 13:09:52 PM »
 :rofl:  just had a thought, they hunt, clean their butts etc then we kiss thir heads, nose

Oh I feel sick  :sick:  and they say animals are dumb,  :rofl:
Cats don't come when they are called,
They take a message and get back to you later.
                           Wilfred P. Lampton

Offline hOrZa

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #7 on: August 13, 2007, 12:54:40 PM »
I think even with well fed cats nothing beats the hunt :) I'm sure all of us who have watched Da Birds videos can see that :)

Offline ferrisandripley

• Adult Cat
« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2007, 12:46:41 PM »
Ferris eats everone he finds, he loves eating, i feed him enough he is just greedy.. i think he knows if the mouse is dodgy because sometimes he will eat it all and other times he will leave the guts...his sister is also a grear mouser, but she tends to leave them outside, and strangly the rarely eat the rats... we live in a semi rural area with a farm next door...  birds do not get eaten..

Offline hOrZa

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2007, 12:31:40 PM »
my last cat was/is a bird hunter but also does'nt eat his kills,captures except for the one time I found a chewed up chick :(

ccmacey

« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2007, 12:20:06 PM »
When my cat hunts he never eats the bird, he goes for birds you see. But once I went out to find him chewing something, couldnt see as it was too dark, the next day I found feet and a beak on my path and something that looked like a stomach? This is the only time I have known him to eat it  :sick:

I have heard other peeps saying their cats do eat the kill.

Offline Ralph's mum (angie)

• Super Cat
  • Rainbow Bridge Babies Bob, Max and Ralph 🌈💔
  • Slave to: Harvey and Ruby the mutts!!
« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2007, 12:16:16 PM »
 :rofl: :rofl:

Yes I think so, there was an article in our local sunday paper about this, here is what it says

Q I have a neutered 6 month old rescue cat. She has started bringing to bring home dead and alive mice.
she leaves them in the same place at the bottom of the stairs.  How can I stop this?

A This is normal cat behaviour.  Felines have a natural instinct to hunt.  Mostly she will just catch mice and is bringing her prize to show you.  The only concern you should have is if she eats mice with intestinal worms, make sure she is wormed every 3 months to avoid her becoming infected.  If you wish to stop your cat hunting, try placing 2 bells on her collar, which will jangle together when she pounces, allowing her prey to escape before they become a plaything or worse, lunch.

Angie
Cats don't come when they are called,
They take a message and get back to you later.
                           Wilfred P. Lampton

Offline hOrZa

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2007, 12:11:55 PM »
Showing you what a mighty hunter he is :)

Offline ferrisandripley

• Adult Cat
eating mice
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2007, 12:03:57 PM »
 :shify:

Well is it mouse season or something?  my old tabby ferris has been on a hunt for the past week including last night 2 mice, one ay 3.30am and one at 5.

He isnt very quiet either, he trots up to our room , making really loud miaowww's until we wake up, he then proceeds to throw it around the room until he is board, he then sits down and proceeds to crunch all the way through it, apart from the face.....nice.

now i know they like to leave you presents but is this normal ??

steve

Link to CatChat