Author Topic: Spaying question  (Read 1743 times)

Offline CurlyCatz

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • "Cody"
Re: Spaying question
« Reply #8 on: August 11, 2007, 16:37:46 PM »
 :doh:  why didnt that occur to me millys mum LOL.

yep i agree just lie if nec , we're only talking 4 wks here (3 prob by time she gets done) so its not like your telling a whopper just a wee tiddly one (if she was a stray you'd not know for sure her exact age anyway)

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #7 on: August 10, 2007, 17:55:41 PM »
Or just phone up a different vet and say my cat is 6 months and i'd like her spayed now. Just lie! Its in the interest of your kitty so therefore not technically bad  ;)
I would get her chipped at the same time too  ;D

Offline Pinkbear (Julie)

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Honorary Cat
  • Where are we supposed to sleep, then?
« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2007, 16:00:52 PM »
I know how these vets can get, coastalkitty!  :shify:

I was at the vets yesterday with the feral babies. I asked the nurse if - for the future, mind - if the vet would consider doing these early because I'm going to have to keep them until they are neutered once tamed. "It's six months", the nurse said. "Yeah... I know generally it's six months, but these are feral AND brother and sister and if the boy's bits are ready at 5 months, would the vet consider it? I'm just fostering these kittens and once they are done, I can rehome them. Can you just ask the vet?"  Nurse, "We don't neuter under six months...."  :brick:

I really wish you the best of luck. But if they say no, get the phone book out..  ;)

Offline CurlyCatz

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • "Cody"
« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2007, 15:30:56 PM »
I think its anything but selfish fitting it it around your own health issues, its totally responsible and caring and giving foresight into possible situations that may occur.

I would be aghast if your vet did not book you in for one day next week.  (i'd also go to a different vet if that was the case)

Offline coastalkitty

• Adult Cat
« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2007, 13:05:20 PM »
Thankyou both for your replies.   Thats exactly my reasoning Lynn - if she is done nowish, Im home for her aftercare until the end of the month.  Im not sure if its coming across as selfish and me wanting it done to fit around my health problems as far as the vet is concerned - I want to be here for her and to make sure she is fine before I go in to see to myself and I want the peace of mind that she cannot get pregnant should the worse happen and she escape whilst Im not around to supervise everyone (that makes me sound like such a control freak!!)    Im awaiting a call back from a vet a bit further away to discuss it, hopefully they will understand my reasons.  thanks again.
« Last Edit: August 10, 2007, 13:06:11 PM by coastalkitty »

Offline CurlyCatz

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • "Cody"
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2007, 12:46:22 PM »
at 5 months old she's only 4 wks off the 6 months, which many vets will make you wait until.  HOwever i'd speak to your vet rather urgently and explain what you've just said to us and stress she may escape while you are in hospital.

i am sure they will take her in and operate asap (better get it done now so you are at home to supervise and monitor her 2 wk recovery period, she also shouldnt be out 2-3 wks after the op anyway so get her done now  ;D

Offline Ela

• Royal Cat
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2007, 12:42:49 PM »
Many rescues and cat bodies now recommend early neutering/spaying In parts  of the USA they neuter and spay before kittens are homed. I would certainly air on the side of caution and get Kitty spayed ASAP.
« Last Edit: August 10, 2007, 12:54:48 PM by Ela »
RULES ARE FOR THE OBEDIENCE OF FOOLS AND GUIDENCE OF WISE MEN.

Offline coastalkitty

• Adult Cat
Spaying question
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2007, 10:55:38 AM »
I would like to get kitty spayed as soon as poss. I have read various age recommendations on the net.  She has started to go out accompanied into a secure little patioed area of our garden just to sit in the Sun with me,  Its been sooo hot here this past week that keeping windows and doors continually shut has been somewhat difficult , what with the kids going in and out, in and out, although they are very good at shouting, 'wheres the cat' before doing so, we havent had an escaping. She hasnt attempted to jump any walls into the main garden.  The problem is that Im due to go into hospital at the end of the month for a good few days out of my area, so family will be tooing and froing up to London and back.  Im really really worried in case someone slips up in my absence and accidentally lets her out. Its a very slim possibility, but there is always a risk.  She is  just 5 months now.  Im scared in case she does come into season when Im not here and the worst happen.  If she does Im assuming she will be keener to get out or toms will be keener to come in.  Anyway, Ive range both vets practices close to me and both say they spay at 6 months and are reluctant to spay earlier.  Im going to have a ring round of vets a little further afield just to see.  I know CPL recommended spaying from 4 months old.  I do have an appointment for one of the closer vets, to see the head vet and they will make a decision on Monday. 

Am I pushing it, to ask to have her spayed now.  Is it being over cautious?   All opinions really welcome.

Link to CatChat