Author Topic: My poor Tiffy...Please help  (Read 9493 times)

Offline Dawn (DiddyDawn)

• Honorary Cat
Re: My poor Tiffy...Please help
« Reply #37 on: August 07, 2007, 18:43:49 PM »
Philip, did you receive the Pet Tinic okay?

Offline swampmaxmum

• Super Cat
  • SwampMax happy on their sunny French balcon 05!
« Reply #36 on: August 07, 2007, 18:28:21 PM »
Wishing you all the best for Tiffy.  Those websites Helen mentioned (the crf and the yahoo group) are full of info and case histories. The yahoo group one does bombard you with emails a bit if you register, but subQ fluids seems to be the American way of handling things. In the UK it seems the vets are keener on Fortekor.
I hope that you get some nosh down him.
Really good luck with the fluids. How's Tiffy tonight?

Offline Gillian Harvey

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Sam RIP
    • Scruffy Joe's Cat Grooming & Cat Sitting
« Reply #35 on: August 07, 2007, 18:18:16 PM »
My vet has agreed to assist me in learning how to give subcutaneous fluids at home.
Really hoping being able to give S/C fluids will make him feel so much better and help remove toxins. I have read that being better hydrated should help with the uraemic ulcers.

Its good  your vet will let you do fluids, I did them with my Suzie who I lost about a month ago. It gave her 4 really good extra weeks I believe, I just wish I'd started her on them sooner. It definitely made her feel better after giving them, you could really see a difference, and luckily she was a very good patient - most of the time!

cheekee_munkee

« Reply #34 on: August 07, 2007, 00:06:58 AM »
Have to admit though. I had to suggest it. I do feel that maybe if I hadnt suggested it, it probably wouldnt have happened.

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #33 on: August 07, 2007, 00:03:44 AM »
Loads of good thoughts and cuddles for Tiffy   :hug: :hug:
« Last Edit: August 07, 2007, 00:04:39 AM by Gill (sneakiefeline) »

cheekee_munkee

« Reply #32 on: August 06, 2007, 23:59:24 PM »
I dont know if ts something she would allow with everyone.

I was really expecting to be told no. I do wonder how much me being a staff nurse has helped as she knows I practice cannulation and venepuncture on my human patients on a daily basis.

I hope its just because its the right thing to do and that would be for anyone who wished to do this.

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Save a life draw/Commercial Assistant/Moderating Staff
  • Royal Cat
« Reply #31 on: August 06, 2007, 23:51:02 PM »
I think it's great that your vet is open to subQ fluids, they can make such a huge difference.  There are very few vets in the UK that are willing to allow owners to administer them, the owner of the crf site actually keeps a list of UK vets that do so maybe you could email her with your vets details when you get a chance?

Got evrything crossed for Tiffy, hope he continues to improve  :hug:

cheekee_munkee

« Reply #30 on: August 06, 2007, 23:33:43 PM »
No worries Dawn

To be honest I wasnt expecting him to be here after seeing him in the early hours of Saturday morning.

Thanks though. Im going to give it a go.

Offline Dawn (DiddyDawn)

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #29 on: August 06, 2007, 23:29:33 PM »
Philip, I was running late on Saturday so didn't get chance to post the Pet Tinic, I'd been up all night with the kittens.  I have however put it in the post today as a Special Delivery so you'll definitely receive it before 1pm tomorrow.  Keeping everything crossed for Tiffy, xxxxx

cheekee_munkee

« Reply #28 on: August 06, 2007, 23:27:53 PM »
A pic of Tiffy taken today

Offline Bazsmum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Bazzy Bazilla
    • The Animal Rescue Site
« Reply #27 on: August 06, 2007, 23:24:12 PM »
Good luck with Tiffy's results  :)

Glad you have found strength to cope  :hug:

Offline Elaine

• Distinguished Cat
« Reply #26 on: August 06, 2007, 22:42:25 PM »
Wasnt there some one else on here that had been giving their CRF cat s/c fluids?
I am sure it will help Tiffy feel better.  Wishing you both lots of love and best wishes as always xxx

Offline Ralph's mum (angie)

• Super Cat
  • Rainbow Bridge Babies Bob, Max and Ralph 🌈💔
  • Slave to: Harvey and Ruby the mutts!!
« Reply #25 on: August 06, 2007, 22:19:11 PM »
 :hug: Hope bloods come back ok fingers crossed, keep up the good work, keep well

big hugs and prayers for you both  :hug:
Cats don't come when they are called,
They take a message and get back to you later.
                           Wilfred P. Lampton

cheekee_munkee

« Reply #24 on: August 06, 2007, 22:15:18 PM »
My vet has agreed to assist me in learning how to give subcutaneous fluids at home.

I guess being a staff nurse has come in real handy right now.

He was lying by the window enjoying the sun when I got home from work bless.

I would say he is a tiny bit better today. I cant say if it will last.

I cried so much over the weekend, but now i'm finding I can enjoy each moment with Tiffy instead of feeling despair.

Really hoping being able to give S/C fluids will make him feel so much better and help remove toxins. I have read that being better hydrated should help with the uraemic ulcers.

Still awaiting blood results. Should be tomorrow.

Offline Desley (booktigger)

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Molly, my wonderful babe
  • Slave to: Lucy
« Reply #23 on: August 06, 2007, 08:20:28 AM »
Fingers crossed that you can pull him through this, and his bloods dont show anything too bad
Please spay your cat

Offline Ralph's mum (angie)

• Super Cat
  • Rainbow Bridge Babies Bob, Max and Ralph 🌈💔
  • Slave to: Harvey and Ruby the mutts!!
« Reply #22 on: August 05, 2007, 17:18:55 PM »
 :hug: Just caught up with this been on holiday last week,  hope Tiffy is feeling better,  keep up the good work

big hugs  :hug: 
Cats don't come when they are called,
They take a message and get back to you later.
                           Wilfred P. Lampton

Offline Christine (Blip)

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Blip
« Reply #21 on: August 05, 2007, 16:53:32 PM »
I have only just caught up with this and am also sorry to hear that Tiffy is unwell.  But you are obviously doing the very best for him.

:hug: to him, please keep us posted.

xC
I'm a member of the British Humanist Association, the national charity supporting and representing people who seek to live good lives without religious or superstitious beliefs http://www.humanism.org.uk/home

Offline Sam (Fussy_Furball)

• Marketing/Lost&Found/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Foxy (RIP), Zephyr (RIP), Rosina (RIP) & Oliver
« Reply #20 on: August 05, 2007, 10:18:51 AM »
sounds like Tiffy is in very good hands and getting all the attention and care he deserves.  Fingers crossed he will perk up again soon  :hug:
In ancient times cats were worshiped as gods; they have not forgotten this.

cheekee_munkee

« Reply #19 on: August 05, 2007, 00:03:54 AM »
Thanks everyone.

Got through another day. Overnight I feared the worst at more than one point. I had resigned myself to phoning my vet to make the necessary arrangements when Tiffy came to me and started opening and closing his eyes slowly and managed a little purr.

Syringe feeding continues. Have brought home loads of supplies for me to clean his mouth and try and make it feel better for him and keep the ulceration clean and hopefully help it clear up.

Got home from work tonight to find him looking up at me with a look I haven't seen I'm him for a few days. As you can imagine my heart sang.

Have ordered that bark and has spent a lot of time on that feline CRF site. I know Tiffy has passed urine now so phew...sadly though it was in his bed lol.

Still got to take it day by day, maybe hour by hour.

Thanks for all you're support so far.

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #18 on: August 04, 2007, 19:00:09 PM »
I dont know if its any good either but thats what Kocka lived on for the last 3 yrs of her life. I had to feed it to her from my finger cos its the only way she would eat it.

Good or bad it was the only way of getting some decent food into her.

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #17 on: August 04, 2007, 18:54:23 PM »
I dont know if its any good in regards to the CRF but a/d is really palatable and very easy to syringe feed, you can buy it from your vet.
Gentle tickles to Tiffy and  :hug: for you

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Save a life draw/Commercial Assistant/Moderating Staff
  • Royal Cat
« Reply #16 on: August 04, 2007, 15:57:56 PM »
Sorry to hear Tiffy is poorly  :hug:

I just wanted to second or third the website www.felinecrf.org  It really is a fantastic resource, I learnt so much from it and am convinced that Tiggy had many extra months due to me educating myself about CRF and treatments available - mainly from that website.  Another really good resource is the feline CRF yahoo group.  The majority of members are in the US but there are some extremely knowledgable people on there, it's a very active group so lots of good recent advice.  http://pets.groups.yahoo.com/group/Feline-CRF-Support/?yguid=220545606

Offline Sam (Fussy_Furball)

• Marketing/Lost&Found/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Foxy (RIP), Zephyr (RIP), Rosina (RIP) & Oliver
« Reply #15 on: August 04, 2007, 12:46:27 PM »
Sorry I don't know anything about CRF but this website appears to have lots and lots of advice that may be of help to you:  http://www.felinecrf.org/treatments.HTM

Bigs  :hug: to your and Tiffy.
In ancient times cats were worshiped as gods; they have not forgotten this.

cheekee_munkee

« Reply #14 on: August 04, 2007, 04:38:18 AM »
Tiffy I love you mate.

Whatever happens I wont let you suffer x

Offline Dawn (DiddyDawn)

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #13 on: August 04, 2007, 00:54:07 AM »
I'll try and get it in the post before work in the morning, you should get it by Monday then, xx

Offline Amanda (mad4moggies)

• Adult Cat
  • RIP Spot 18/04/11 - Missed more than words can say
« Reply #12 on: August 04, 2007, 00:29:37 AM »
Get well soon Tiffy you sweet boy. I know how much your dad loves you. xxxx

Offline Bazsmum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Bazzy Bazilla
    • The Animal Rescue Site
« Reply #11 on: August 03, 2007, 23:57:27 PM »
"Good luck" Tiffy.....hope you get better soon  :hug: :Luv:

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #10 on: August 03, 2007, 23:13:19 PM »
Lots of good wishes for Tiffy to improve  :hug: :hug:

Offline Mark

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
    • AnimalAid - Support Humane Charities
« Reply #9 on: August 03, 2007, 23:08:20 PM »
Sorry I can't offer any more advice other than my cat Clapton is a new cat now he takes Fortekor every day. He had a bad turn and the vet gave him a steroid injection to kick-start his appetite. He won't eat prescription food and just eats Tesco own-brand in jelly (the only one he will eat). He has gained weight and generally seems very well. He is only 8 and had "Moderate CRF" so I guess Tiffy's numbers are no as good.
DO NOT BREED OR BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE

I believe I am not interested to know whether Vivisection produces results that are profitable to the human race or doesn't. To know that the results are profitable to the race would not remove my hostility to it.  Mark Twain

Offline Dawn (DiddyDawn)

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #8 on: August 03, 2007, 21:15:00 PM »
No payment, Elaine kindly sent it to me....it will be payment enough if Tiggy improves, xxxxx

cheekee_munkee

« Reply #7 on: August 03, 2007, 21:13:39 PM »

"It may also be worth looking into getting some Iron and B vitamins, I used to buy this in the form of Pet tinic and found it invaluable.  It does have to be ordered from the USA but if you would like I could ask around and see if I can get some for you sooner.  Infact I think DD has a bottle which she may be able to send you."

Yes please.....If anyone has this and can send me ASAP I would be so greatful. I can either pay or maybe I can do a cat portrait in return. Please can you find out.

Thanks

Offline Dawn (DiddyDawn)

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2007, 21:12:12 PM »
Infact I think DD has a bottle which she may be able to send you.

I'll sort it out and stick it in the post for you if you send me your address, xx

Offline Elaine

• Distinguished Cat
« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2007, 20:48:23 PM »
So very sorry to hear about Tiffy xxx
Sense of smell can be reduced due to a build up of uraemic toxins, some times it helps to heat food a little to encourage them to eat.  There are actually quite a lot of things you may be able to try to encourage Tiffy to eat.
Have you looked at the CRF site?  http://www.felinecrf.org/index.htm
Its a very large site but packed full of very usefull info, for the time being though, pick out the bits that are more important to you and Tiffy at this point in time.
You may also want to try some slippery elm bark along with her food, either and hour or so before or after medications.  This would help with any mouth ulcers as well as nausea.
Try raising her bowls too so that she doesnt have to lower her head too much whilst eating or drinking, this too may help with any tummy acid problems.
You may also want to add B vitamins to her food and water.  B vitamins are water soluble, therefore any excess will be flushed out of her system via urination.
All these things and more are what i used to do for my old boy.  He was diagnosed at the age of 18 and a half and went on till he was 21.  There were times I thought he was nearing the end but would then bounce back just as quick so please try not to despair too much just yet.
The important thing for Tiffy right now is to get her eating again.  Would she be tempted by some smelly fish such as sardines?  I know its not on the vets menu for CRF but it may get her eating again.
It may also be worth looking into getting some Iron and B vitamins, I used to buy this in the form of Pet tinic and found it invaluable.  It does have to be ordered from the USA but if you would like I could ask around and see if I can get some for you sooner.  Infact I think DD has a bottle which she may be able to send you.
I hope some of that helps a little, if I can think of anything else I'll get back to you.  There are also others here that have alot of experience of CRF that may be able to help too.
I wish you and Tiffy all the very best and send you both lots of love and well wishes. xxx

Offline Dawn (DiddyDawn)

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2007, 20:14:59 PM »
I'll ask Elaine to look at your post......she is as close to an expert on CRF as you can get  ;)

fingers crossed for him, xxxxxxxxxxx

cheekee_munkee

« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2007, 18:14:57 PM »
Fortekor is an ACE inhibitor which lowers blood pressure. My vet chose to use amlodipine instead for the same reason.

I did ask her about it at the time but she felt Amlodipine was better.

Offline CurlyCatz

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • "Cody"
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2007, 18:10:17 PM »
Sorry have only scanned your post (i am wrestling with my delightful daughter  :tired:  )

has tiffy been on fortekor at all ?  also anabolic steroid inj can be useful in these cases.  perhaps also some fluids would help perk him up.

As for cooking a meal, i cant think of anything that is nice puree'd but what about chicken & gravy ?  (obviously lo salt gravy)

fingers crossed something can be done to make him happier  :hug:

cheekee_munkee

My poor Tiffy...Please help
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2007, 17:56:53 PM »
My 17 yr old Black Mogggy Tiffy is unwell.

He has chronic renal failure and has a degree of hypertension which is managed by a beta blocker (amlodipine).

In the last few days he looked worse and he has been off his food. Found a swelling in the lower part of his mouth. Was seen by my vet and was found to be ulcers due to uraemic changes with the renal disease. He has had appetite stimulants, B12 injection and started a course of Synulox (antibiotics)

Had blood tests done and waiting for results to see how bad renal function really is.

I have discussed things with my vet and decided to syringe feed him for a few days while waiting for the blood test results.

I am using his special renal food and making it into a puree for syringe feeding. I am adding IPAKITINE as a phosphate binder to try and reduce his uraemia to help him feel better.

My question is: does anyone have any suggestions for things I can possibly cook myself that I can puree that may be better for tiffy.

I am so worried about him. He has been a special friend for nearly 18 years of my life and I want to do the best for him.

I know this may be all in vein. Part of my heart and my intuition as a senior staff nurse tells me things I don't want to hear but I need to try my best for him. Looking at him right now he is lying in his bed (with electric blanket) and seems a little better than last night although I don't think he has eaten (but I have given him a good diet via syringe today).

Any suggestions would be appreciated. As you all know. Our love for our cats can sometimes cloud our judgement.

Link to CatChat