Author Topic: Urgent.....worried mummy!  (Read 12383 times)

Offline Hippykitty

• Super Cat
  • Victoria, Lucy, Cydric,
Re: Urgent.....worried mummy!
« Reply #93 on: August 09, 2007, 03:21:32 AM »
Have been giving them a chance to get back to me, Ela, but I think they've had long enough now, so will email them with another enquiry. I'll give them a week to reply, then try to take this further.

Polly's her old self again. Thank goodness I ignored him!  :P
Cats were once gods; they have never forgotten this, nor have the people they own.

Offline Ela

• Royal Cat
« Reply #92 on: August 05, 2007, 11:31:45 AM »
It's not the cost of Vets Now that I mind, but their lack of skill, which is why I wouldn't use an emergency vet again.

Have you taken further action yet?
RULES ARE FOR THE OBEDIENCE OF FOOLS AND GUIDENCE OF WISE MEN.

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #91 on: August 05, 2007, 11:17:01 AM »
How are the kittens doing Panda?

Offline Linda (Bengalbabe)

• Hero Cat
  • Gayzette Minerva
« Reply #90 on: August 04, 2007, 11:58:13 AM »
ooh that is expensive HippyKitty.  When I had to take my three boys to the emergency vets back in January they charged 80 quid for the consultation albeit by the time they had administered various injections (my cats were being sick) I was over two hundred quid down - thank goodness for pet insurance!

Like others on here though I agree you cannot put a price on your babies health.

Glad to hear the little kittens are doing better, they are lovely  :Luv:

Offline Hippykitty

• Super Cat
« Reply #89 on: August 04, 2007, 10:30:42 AM »
Wether it be visit to vet, emergency vet or home visit vet it wouldnt matter to me as long as they were seen.

I recently paid £130 just to walk through the door of the Vets Now emergency service, only to be told that Polly had had a stroke and should be pts!
I took her to my regular vet the following day. He said she hadn't had a stroke, but had vestibular disease. She's fine now.

It's not the cost of Vets Now that I mind, but their lack of skill, which is why I wouldn't use an emergency vet again.
Years ago, when vets did night time home visits they charged an arm and a leg for it. It's been about 20 years since I've considered this, so have no idea whether this is even available now (in Birmingham).
Cats were once gods; they have never forgotten this, nor have the people they own.

Offline PandaFi

• Adult Cat
  • Paws and Chloe xx
« Reply #88 on: August 01, 2007, 13:47:42 PM »
I think there was still one to be rehomed...but someone was due to come and get her. Hopefully she'll get neutered soon!

Offline CurlyCatz

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • "Cody"
« Reply #87 on: August 01, 2007, 13:36:11 PM »
and were the rest of the litter being rehomed on monday aswell or had they already gone or have since gone ?

I dont think the cat will have been spayed within 48 hrs, which is most unfortunate.

Offline CurlyCatz

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • "Cody"
« Reply #86 on: August 01, 2007, 13:35:09 PM »
theres definately a need for vets like her all over ruth..think of pensioners who have 2 or more cats getting down for yearly vaccs  :Crazy:

In the case of severe illness or emergency it makes sense most vets will still strongly urge if not demand you travel to the surgery ALL equipment is there that they might need and most of the meds, there is only so much a vet can safely carry around in his emergency case.

If i lived in a large city i'd probably be looking into the possiblity of that type of work (mobile) for the minor things that alot of folk post on here they have difficultys with (with the exception of dematts  :evillaugh:  )

Offline PandaFi

• Adult Cat
  • Paws and Chloe xx
« Reply #85 on: August 01, 2007, 13:31:38 PM »
sorry panda, when exactly did all the kittens come away from her ?  i thought after all the confusion you took them 2 days ago ?

I did...I got them on Monday

Offline Kittybabe (Ruth)

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Lexy - Queen of all Kittydom
« Reply #84 on: August 01, 2007, 13:29:05 PM »
Julie, £29 for consult. Plus travel time and as she only operates out of certain postcodes its always no more than £45 for the visit. She only chsrges me what the lab charges her for blood work etc so she doesn't mark up the price to make a profit. Since the vet on the next block charges £40 per consult and he's awful, I would rather pay my vet to visit me at home, no carrier stress for Lexy and my piece of mind.

Edite: and yes I do get what I pay for. Caroline is fabulous.
« Last Edit: August 01, 2007, 13:34:48 PM by Kittybabe (Ruth) »

Offline CurlyCatz

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • "Cody"
« Reply #83 on: August 01, 2007, 13:27:17 PM »
sorry panda, when exactly did all the kittens come away from her ?  i thought after all the confusion you took them 2 days ago ?

Offline PandaFi

• Adult Cat
  • Paws and Chloe xx
« Reply #82 on: August 01, 2007, 13:19:58 PM »
Thanks. Yeah, she was going to get it neutered after the kittens were all away from the mummy, and could cope without her...so she might have been done by now, if not should be soon! *fingers crossed*

Offline Michelle (furbabystar)

• Royal Cat
  • My Baby - Issey
« Reply #81 on: August 01, 2007, 13:17:40 PM »
Gotta be honest if one of mine was ill price wouldnt come into it.
Wether it be visit to vet, emergency vet or home visit vet it wouldnt matter to me as long as they were seen.

Glad kitten is better today - gosh they do look tiny dont they but very cute

The person you got them from, is she going to spay her female cat now ?

Offline Pinkbear (Julie)

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Honorary Cat
  • Where are we supposed to sleep, then?
« Reply #80 on: August 01, 2007, 13:15:16 PM »
Ruth, this is a new thing for me - home visits. I'm sure it's an advance in service provision but we haven't got anything like that here to my knowledge.

It's odd though, because this is new and the practice of home visits for humans is all but dead. We have to call EKDOC if we are ill out of hours and we're usually told to bring the patient to either Kent and Canterbury hospital, or QEQM Margate. Try asking the GP to visit you at home and see what response you get.  :tired:

I get a sense of you get what you pay for, though. How much is a routine consultation with these flying vets?  :innocent:

Offline Kittybabe (Ruth)

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #79 on: August 01, 2007, 12:54:17 PM »
My vet is a home visit vet. That's her business, she only operates out of a surgery once a week as a consult, but otherwise her van is housed with what she needs. The price is reasonable, even for London prices, as she will speak to you first via phone and if she feels based on symptom a surgery visit is needed she will say so and meet you there.  It all depends on the vet, the practice they run etc.

I would be hesitant to knock home visits. Circumstances dictate price I am sure.

Offline PandaFi

• Adult Cat
  • Paws and Chloe xx
« Reply #78 on: August 01, 2007, 12:49:36 PM »
My mum took the kitties to the vets today! :) He checked them both over, and said that they were looking well, very energetic. Agreed that we will start worming them next week, and have arranged to go back in three weeks for their first vaccinations. The expense begins! Got another pic of them! -->

Offline CurlyCatz

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • "Cody"
« Reply #77 on: August 01, 2007, 11:01:22 AM »
Hippy it wasnt panda's vet who came out but a vet on holiday who is a friend of a friend type of thing, There wouldnt have been much they could have done had urgent treatment been required but i would imagine they would have advised "get to the surgery" asap had that been necessary.

Panda is having them checked over with her own vet today i think it was or atleast very shortly  :)

Offline Hippykitty

• Super Cat
« Reply #76 on: August 01, 2007, 10:57:27 AM »
I'm glad your kitten is okay. I thought she might have infectious enteritis, which is deadly and kills kittens and adult cats very quickly, though most adults are vaccinated for this.

Having had experience of home vet visits, I know that they're very expensive. This may be a cause of the cynicism of some members here. It's cheaper and quicker to take a cat to the vet surgery, where they have all the equipment and medication needed.  Did this vet charge you? If so, I'd love to know what a vet visit costs these days, as it's been a while since I've thought this wise, so mine usually get shoved into a taxi.

Good luck with the little ones. If something like this happens again, go to your vet straight away. Kittens die quickly if poorly. From my own experience I'd avoid out of hours vets if your vet uses the Vets Now service. But go as soon as the vet opens. Do you have a regular vet? Your kittens are going to need his/her services soon - vaccinations, spaying, worming etc. And be prepared for the cost!!!!

Offline clarenmax

• FIV & FELV/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • My Bridge Baby Max, October 2000 - July 2009 xxx
« Reply #75 on: August 01, 2007, 09:01:50 AM »
Wow, loads of updates and piccies ....... I blame my o/h for sitting on the computer at home all night  :innocent:

Glad to hear you managed to get a vet to see Paws last night, and agree it would be an idea to get both of them to see the vets today if you can, just for a check-up and get advise on worming etc as others have already said.

Look forward to more piccies soon too  :Luv:

Make custom Glitter Graphics

Poot, adopted 14th August 2009. I'm sure Maxy sent you to me sweetie xx

Offline Christine (Blip)

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Blip
« Reply #74 on: August 01, 2007, 08:30:32 AM »
How did it go at the vet, PandaFi?  Hope all is well.
I'm a member of the British Humanist Association, the national charity supporting and representing people who seek to live good lives without religious or superstitious beliefs http://www.humanism.org.uk/home

Offline Desley (booktigger)

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Molly, my wonderful babe
  • Slave to: Lucy
« Reply #73 on: July 31, 2007, 22:39:14 PM »
Am glad to hear they are a lot better, and that you will be taking them to the vet in the morning.
Please spay your cat

Offline PandaFi

• Adult Cat
  • Paws and Chloe xx
« Reply #72 on: July 31, 2007, 22:13:36 PM »
Thanks guys! I know...I love them to bits! I'll try and get another few (better) pics up tomorrow! Yep...I've got them on lactol, so i think they'll be staying on that! :)

Offline CurlyCatz

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • "Cody"
« Reply #71 on: July 31, 2007, 22:08:03 PM »
cute, i thought paws was going to be blk & white lol dont know why but i wasnt sure what chloe would look like, both very sweet.

Michelle is right, keep them on the kitten formula for as long as they will take it which could be another 6 wks, remember kitten milk you get in cartons from supermarket isnt the same and wont give them the proper nutrition, its just a treat but some folk think its the real thing.

Online Yvonne

• Super Cat
  • Cleo
  • Slave to: Trevor, Clare, Spotty, Homer, Parrot, Cody, strays, Ginger Snaps and Jacob Black.
« Reply #70 on: July 31, 2007, 22:07:14 PM »
They are adorable -  :luck: with them   :hug:
The Purrs 2011 Cat Show!
Could your cat be a winner? 
http://www.purrsinourhearts.co.uk/index.php/topic,37101.0.html

Offline Sarah (seldom_use)

• Super Cat
« Reply #69 on: July 31, 2007, 22:04:28 PM »
Beautiful babes PandFi and glad Paws is on the mend  :)

Offline Sabrina (Auferstehen)

• Super Cat
    • Bywater Paws
« Reply #68 on: July 31, 2007, 21:39:13 PM »
Glad Paws seems to be doing well and hope for an update after you take him to your vet in the morning ;)

They are adorable!

Paws' eyes are really prominant in that picture.

• Royal Cat
  • My Baby - Issey
« Reply #67 on: July 31, 2007, 21:30:35 PM »
Ah there look really sweet.

Let us know how you get on at the vets tomorrow. I would take both kittens and get them both checked over as they are so young.

I would personally carry on with the Lactol milk....mine were on it for quiet a while as their Mum couldnt feed them

Offline PandaFi

• Adult Cat
  • Paws and Chloe xx
« Reply #66 on: July 31, 2007, 21:21:19 PM »
  Hope this pic works!! It's the only one I have been able to upload so far! The black and white one is Paws, the more tabby one is Chloe

Offline Kittybabe (Ruth)

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #65 on: July 31, 2007, 20:59:37 PM »
Goodness after my last post I boarded a flight home. Next thing I know there's heaps of updates!!

Great to hear Paws is on the mend PandaFi.

Pleased to see thread is back on track ;)

Offline Pinkbear (Julie)

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #64 on: July 31, 2007, 20:47:33 PM »
RR, the term you're fishing for is 'trolls'. The internet is full of them. I could point you to forums so thick with them, sometimes I think the whole forum has only 2 real members - me and 700 clones of the same bloke!  :evillaugh:

The only thing we can do in any circumstance is take each post at face value. Let everyone have the benefit of trust until such time as they prove beyond doubt they're insane.  :evillaugh: :evillaugh:

We are very, very lucky here. I've only had one occasion when I was upset by one post directed at me. Apart from that, everyone and everything is lovely.  :Luv: There's a golden mine field of help, support and advice in this forum. If one person asks a question, potentially dozens benefit from the answers.  :sneaky:

• Royal Cat
  • My Baby - Issey
« Reply #63 on: July 31, 2007, 20:20:35 PM »

Donst matter what i say ....im out of here iv seen to many windups

Why dont really tend to get any wind ups on here - Thank God !
(Not like "give us a home" - ah "jackie")

Sometimes on here it is easy to jump to conclusions though but it is best to bite ya tongue and say nothing rather than upset people, especially as you might be wrong.
This is a really friendly board and trouble doesnt often start, so dont go, stay and enjoy this forum

MBll

« Reply #62 on: July 31, 2007, 20:10:24 PM »
I remember when you posted terribly worried about your foster kittens RR. .

Thats true i did ,, at that time when i posted 1 was at the vets  on emmerency treatment &the other was taken back to the rescues vet for emmergency  treatment they wernt here when i posted thats the difference here i spent the rest of the night  crying about them

Donst matter what i say ....im out of here iv seen to many windups

Online Yvonne

• Super Cat
  • Cleo
  • Slave to: Trevor, Clare, Spotty, Homer, Parrot, Cody, strays, Ginger Snaps and Jacob Black.
« Reply #61 on: July 31, 2007, 20:09:39 PM »
Oh PandaFi so pleased to hear that your kitten is  a little bit better.

I know what it is like to have a poorly
kitten  :luck:               

The Purrs 2011 Cat Show!
Could your cat be a winner? 
http://www.purrsinourhearts.co.uk/index.php/topic,37101.0.html

Offline Christine (Blip)

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Blip
« Reply #60 on: July 31, 2007, 19:54:30 PM »
I too am much relieved that Paws is OK.  Please keep us posted, PandaFi.
I'm a member of the British Humanist Association, the national charity supporting and representing people who seek to live good lives without religious or superstitious beliefs http://www.humanism.org.uk/home

Offline Susanne (urbantigers)

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • PA to Mosi & Kito
« Reply #59 on: July 31, 2007, 19:42:45 PM »
I'm glad that Paws is ok.  Poor babe being taken away from mum so soon.  I look forward to pics of him and his sister  ;D

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #58 on: July 31, 2007, 19:32:02 PM »
Thank you, I will stay on the board. I just get quite emotional at how someone could think I was making up something like my two little babies! I don't understand how anyone could make up such a thing.

You get it on the internet so just dont read what you dont need to hear  ;D
Now where are these photos  :waiting:

Offline PandaFi

• Adult Cat
  • Paws and Chloe xx
« Reply #57 on: July 31, 2007, 19:22:12 PM »
Panda we unfortunately do get wind ups occasionally and whilst that is no excuse and this is not the norm esp with new members such as yourself i hope you will understand as a cat lover why some people can get emotional and find it hard to keep their opinions when they have perhaps been involved in such wind ups or untruths in the past.

however i hope you will stay with us as we actually have a great laugh on here and more so learn lots and lots of important and interesting information, those with little or lots of experience and knowledge, we all learn valuble bits n bobs so please stay on board  :Luv:

Thank you, I will stay on the board. I just get quite emotional at how someone could think I was making up something like my two little babies! I don't understand how anyone could make up such a thing.

Offline PandaFi

• Adult Cat
  • Paws and Chloe xx
« Reply #56 on: July 31, 2007, 19:20:42 PM »
Paws seems to be drinking well, yeah. Whenever her sister goes to the bowl, so does she!

Offline CurlyCatz

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • "Cody"
« Reply #55 on: July 31, 2007, 19:20:29 PM »
Panda we unfortunately do get wind ups occasionally and whilst that is no excuse and this is not the norm esp with new members such as yourself i hope you will understand as a cat lover why some people can get emotional and find it hard to keep their opinions when they have perhaps been involved in such wind ups or untruths in the past.

however i hope you will stay with us as we actually have a great laugh on here and more so learn lots and lots of important and interesting information, those with little or lots of experience and knowledge, we all learn valuble bits n bobs so please stay on board  :Luv:

Offline Pinkbear (Julie)

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #54 on: July 31, 2007, 19:19:14 PM »
PandaFi

Is Paws drinking okay? It must have been scarey when he was ill. I'm glad he's feeling better now. Might be worth a visit to your own vet as it's always helps to have these things on record.

Link to CatChat