Author Topic: Sweet older cat with strange hip movements? :(  (Read 2164 times)

Offline Desley (booktigger)

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Molly, my wonderful babe
  • Slave to: Lucy
Re: Sweet older cat with strange hip movements? :(
« Reply #8 on: July 31, 2007, 08:14:19 AM »
Rescue Remedy can be useful, it just helps calm them slightly - the problem with sedation is it can't normally be used unless they have been seen by a vet in case they have a health issue it will aggravate. And you dont really want him too dopey when being seen, as the vet might not be able to make a true diagnosis. Good luck with him, and I wouldn't bet on him freaking out at the vets, a lot of time, they are more docile - and when at the vets, he shouldnt be in anyones arms either.
Please spay your cat

Offline Maximina (Mike's Mom)

• Adult Cat
  • Mike's Mom
« Reply #7 on: July 30, 2007, 20:37:26 PM »
Thanks for your advice. Hopefully it's not a clot as he isn't paralyzed, just walking funny. The pillowcase is a good idea and the vet's assistant also suggested the same thing when I called earlier. I will experiment with pillow case tonight and hopefully get him to the vet by the end of the week. I also plan to buy a hardshell carrier rather than the sherpa I have now.

For "sedating" him she suggested I use something called Rescue Remedy - available over the counter for calming cats. Has anyone heard of this or used it?

Offline Pinkbear (Julie)

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Honorary Cat
  • Where are we supposed to sleep, then?
« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2007, 18:36:41 PM »
One of my cats has a heart problem. A future problem my vet has warned me of is a blood clot in the spine, which could cause paralysis of the back legs. Reading your first post, it's not impossible that a clot has lodged in Mike's spine. But this is pure speculation on my part.

I'd place a towel over his head, or perhaps put him in a pillowcase first? He really does need to see a vet, IMO.

• Adult Cat
  • Mike's Mom
« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2007, 17:23:43 PM »
Good trick for getting the cat into the carrier but I don't think it's gonna be possible with Mike.

He's a huge cat I really can't even hold him without a major struggle as he hates being held (most likely due to his weight and arthritis). I don't know what to do. I will stop by the vet today with a video and see what can be done. I think the only way I could bring him in is to sedate him. B/c once we get to the vet's he will freak and dash out of anyone's arms and run into some corner never to be seen again. He's a sweetheart but SUPER SCARED.

Has anyone heard of "dropped hips". I don't know what it is just read about it on Google as being associated with cat arthritis. Sounds sort of like what Mike has. If anyone is interested in seeing the video of Mike to help me, I will upload it to Youtube later, maybe someone can check it out for me???

:scared: :-: :sick: :( :-[
« Last Edit: July 30, 2007, 17:24:47 PM by Maximina (Mike's Mom) »

Offline Mark

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
    • AnimalAid - Support Humane Charities
« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2007, 16:48:15 PM »

Put the carrier up on its end and then lower him into it.

Tha usually works for me. If need be, I hold their back legs together until they are in, its usually easy after that bit.
DO NOT BREED OR BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE

I believe I am not interested to know whether Vivisection produces results that are profitable to the human race or doesn't. To know that the results are profitable to the race would not remove my hostility to it.  Mark Twain

Offline Michelle (furbabystar)

• Royal Cat
  • My Baby - Issey
« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2007, 15:14:16 PM »
One way or another he needs to see a vet.

Have you tried the backward way into the carrier.
Get someone to steady the carrier and then push him in backwards

OR
Put the carrier up on its end and then lower him into it.

Failing that you will have to get a home visit but it might be pricey

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2007, 13:06:13 PM »
If you cant get him to the surgery then i would book a home visit, not ideal but he needs seeing to as arthritis is painful.

• Adult Cat
  • Mike's Mom
Sweet older cat with strange hip movements? :(
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2007, 12:53:00 PM »
My sweet cat Mike woke up last night from a sleep and was meowing strangely (I woke him up but he normally doesn't meow oddly when I do). He got out of his soft bed and was moving very strangely, it's like his hips are caved in now and his tail hangs limp. He won't walk far though he was purring and being affectionate to be with head rubbing. After a few minutes it sort of resolved itself and he appeared ok. But he has he strange hips again this morning. It's like they are caved in and lower to the floor. He has been more affectionate and purry than ever since the hip thing occurred which is odd (though he always is super affectionate).

I adopted him so I don't know how old he is but he is at least 12, perhaps much more, maybe 15. I wonder if it's arthritis?

I would take him to the vet but problem is, he goes absolutely BALLISTIC if I try and put him in a carrier. Howls and struggles. A few week ago I tried to take him to have his nails trimmed. I tried, my boyfriend tried, no one succeeded. He is 18 lbs and absolutely HATES being picked up (another sign of arthritis?) so fighting with him isn't a possibility (especially with the arthritis!). He has never left my apartment (I have only had him 11 months).

HELP!
« Last Edit: July 30, 2007, 12:54:17 PM by Maximina (Mike's Mom) »

Link to CatChat