Author Topic: Do I trust the vet ??  (Read 4629 times)

Offline sheryl

• Super Cat
  • Im a Crazy CatWoman
Re: Do I trust the vet ??
« Reply #30 on: August 06, 2007, 09:34:14 AM »
 :-[ Little boogers pooed this moring but burried it so deep its not good so OH is off today and he has been tasked to collect the samples  :rofl: - should have seen his face when I told him!

The vets seemed a bit baffled that the antibiotics hadnt worked - they actually made "things" worse.  This weekend they have both been a lot better and not nearly as loose so fingers crossed that they are on the mend.  We wont have the results for 2 weeks but we are really hoping that they can find out what the problem is.

Thank you all so much for your advice and concern it really means a lot. 

The Purrs 2011 Cat Show!
Could your cat be a winner?  :wow:
http://www.purrsinourhearts.co.uk/index.php/topic,37101.0.html

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #29 on: August 04, 2007, 19:05:55 PM »
If they are having metronidazole i think that treats Giardia. I found out slugs can carry it so its possibly them which gave my lot diarrhoea, they are gross enough to eat them  :sick:

Offline Linda (Bengalbabe)

• Hero Cat
  • Gayzette Minerva
« Reply #28 on: August 04, 2007, 00:34:10 AM »
Hi Sheryl

Sorry to hear your babies bums are not any better.  Its good that you are having these tests run.  I have heard of several young kittens recently with Giardia (I know this was mentioned to you on the bengal cat form) and its made these kittens quite ill after a prolonged period.

Bengals are notorious for upset tummys, i think someone mentioned mine had the same but no my issue was the other, I could not stop them from vomiting in early January and blood tests revealed some sort of infection which the vets never really got to the bottom of.  I dont think these things are specifically bengal related I just think they can present themselves more severely in them due to their stomach sensitivities.

Please let us know the results at the vets on Monday and remember to drop me an e-mail if you are worried about anything at all.

Take care,

Linda xxxxxx

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #27 on: August 03, 2007, 16:20:23 PM »
Weve just been back to the vets and I have got to get poo samples on Monday
If you get a nice delivery sunday pm then get that and put it in the fridge, you can near guarantee that they will cross their legs when you need a sample!  :doh:

Some things take longer to culture than others so thats why its 2 weeks, gotta give the nasties time to grow  :sick:

Probiotics are loads cheaper online (if your insurance are not covering this?) and if you buy through a rescue link they earn commission  ;D
I use protexin pro soluble

Offline sheryl

• Super Cat
  • Im a Crazy CatWoman
« Reply #26 on: August 03, 2007, 16:13:09 PM »
Weve just been back to the vets and I have got to get poo samples on Monday  :sick: and can you believe they have never heard of Lacto B  :doh:  I will wait until Ive got the samples and then I will try some.  what surprised me is that the results of the samples can take up to 2 weeks and its £55 whichwe have got to pay when we drop the poo off.  Oh well fingers crossed that we can get to the bottom of this eventually.
The vet checked Raffiki and said that hes a "big boy" and can definately be neutered at 5 months, I will soon be able to claim shares in that place !!
The Purrs 2011 Cat Show!

Offline Gillian Harvey

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Sam RIP
    • Scruffy Joe's Cat Grooming & Cat Sitting
« Reply #25 on: August 01, 2007, 12:49:16 PM »
I have ordered some probiotic paste for them, is it okay to put it in their food ?

The probiotic I recommended Lacto B, is in powder form and is just sprinkled on their food, it is tasteless, my cats have never noticed it at all, much easier than the 'face paint' stuff!!  ;D http://www.petmeds.co.uk/Lacto-B

Offline sheryl

• Super Cat
  • Im a Crazy CatWoman
« Reply #24 on: August 01, 2007, 09:31:24 AM »
Mmmm Kitty face paints - this could be very interesting  :rofl:

I will let you know how I get on.
The Purrs 2011 Cat Show!

Offline Ela

• Royal Cat
« Reply #23 on: July 31, 2007, 21:43:25 PM »
El, is the liquid metronidazole palatable? Cos the tabs are v.bitter. And is it a stupid quantity they need? I dont like syringing large quantities

Well the vet didn't like it when she accidentally tasted it, I think it is bitter, however, I only had to give Jessica .4 of a ml twice a day so it was easy and she did not complain.

I have some in the cupboard I may try a bit later.
« Last Edit: July 31, 2007, 21:44:33 PM by Ela »
RULES ARE FOR THE OBEDIENCE OF FOOLS AND GUIDENCE OF WISE MEN.

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #22 on: July 31, 2007, 19:05:04 PM »
 :rofl: @ helen, i was trying not to scare her. I hate PK, its stinky and oily and gets everywhere  :evillaugh: i have oily marks up my wall that wont go away  >:(
Fortunately the ones that normally need it eat it. Phew. I got diarsanyl to try for next time, it smells better for starters.

Ela, is the liquid metronidazole palatable? Cos the tabs are v.bitter. And is it a stupid quantity they need? I dont like syringing large quantities   :scared:
Just wondering as i will probably need it again at some point and will request it if its better  :)

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Save a life draw/Commercial Assistant/Moderating Staff
  • Royal Cat
« Reply #21 on: July 31, 2007, 18:21:32 PM »
I have ordered some probiotic paste for them, is it okay to put it in their food ?

You've probably got mixed up with what you've ordered, probiotic pastes are actually known as 'kitty face paints'  :evillaugh:  I tried to give Tiggy, the gentlest most placid cat I have ever known some Pro-Kolin once and she ended up with it smeared all over her face, her chest, her legs, the walls, the carpet...

Good luck  ;D

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #20 on: July 31, 2007, 17:29:23 PM »
They may not eat the food with the paste in, its quite strong as it has a base of soya oil, saying that 3 of mine eat it from the tube  :sneaky:
If it doesnt go down in food then  :feedme:   :rofl:

Offline Ela

• Royal Cat
« Reply #19 on: July 31, 2007, 17:19:17 PM »
Metronidazole?

You can get it in a liquid form.
RULES ARE FOR THE OBEDIENCE OF FOOLS AND GUIDENCE OF WISE MEN.

Offline sheryl

• Super Cat
  • Im a Crazy CatWoman
« Reply #18 on: July 31, 2007, 16:56:26 PM »
The Purrs 2011 Cat Show!

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #17 on: July 31, 2007, 16:39:36 PM »
not sure of the name of the A/Bs they are white and crumbly and name bgins with an M
Metronidazole? 2 of mine had them and i hated breaking them up!  >:( they had a 10day course and found that they initially improved and then went runny as a side effect.

I used protexin pro soluble probiotics after the course finished as its alot more palatable/less messy than the pro kolin paste.

Smell wise - its awful sort of sweet and putrid - does that mean anything to you?
Not without a sniff!  :rofl:  :rofl:

Offline sheryl

• Super Cat
  • Im a Crazy CatWoman
« Reply #16 on: July 31, 2007, 16:31:32 PM »
Hi Millys Mum, not sure of the name of the A/Bs they are white and crumbly and name bgins with an M

Smell wise - its awful sort of sweet and putrid - does that mean anything to you?
The Purrs 2011 Cat Show!

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #15 on: July 31, 2007, 15:56:41 PM »
Its good to hear they are walnut whipping  ;D lets hope it continues. Which AB are they having?
Its a shame i cant sniff your trays as campylobacter has a v.distinct smell  :sick:

Offline sheryl

• Super Cat
  • Im a Crazy CatWoman
« Reply #14 on: July 31, 2007, 11:37:47 AM »
Thanks for asking Swamp - they are pretty much the dame today - its not as if its chronic diahorrea because they both only "go" twice a day, seems slightly better today - bit like Mr whippy consistency (sorry to put everyone off icecream) ;) Cant believe that every time one of them heads for the tray i follow to see whats "happening"
The Purrs 2011 Cat Show!

Offline swampmaxmum

• Super Cat
  • SwampMax happy on their sunny French balcon 05!
« Reply #13 on: July 31, 2007, 10:35:49 AM »
how are they doing? hope better? If they are both the same, are they eating the same stuff? Just wondered if it's a food intolerance. Vet told me to clean the litter tray every day with scalding water and a mild soap (eg washing up liquid) and rinse it well when mine had/have the runs. Costs a small fortune in litter but helps to control any re-infection. Good luck.

Offline sheryl

• Super Cat
  • Im a Crazy CatWoman
« Reply #12 on: July 31, 2007, 09:18:13 AM »
Thanks all, I spoke to the vet yesterday and he has said to give it a couple of days to see if it settles down after worming if not we are going to go for the tests, I just want my babies to be okay.
The Purrs 2011 Cat Show!

Offline Nick (Peanut & Boo)

• Distinguished Cat
« Reply #11 on: July 30, 2007, 20:42:22 PM »
I think Millie's Mum's suggestion is a very good one. They could possibly have campylabacter or some similar bacterial infection which would show up in the tests.
I would recommend you really go overboard with the sterilsation of their food bowls and bedding etc especially their litter trays if they use them just in case it is a bacterial organism. Make sure you wash your hands thoroughly after handling their litter trays etc because it is easy to cross infect . I got it once for 7 days then got reinfected for a further 4 days lost a stone in 10 days, Thought I was gonna die lol.

Hope the poor mites get better really soon it must be awful for them.

Offline Gwen

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #10 on: July 30, 2007, 20:24:34 PM »
Hope they are better soon :hug:
Love me,love my animals.

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Save a life draw/Commercial Assistant/Moderating Staff
  • Royal Cat
« Reply #9 on: July 30, 2007, 18:47:22 PM »
Sorry to hear your babies are still poorly  :hug:  Linda's bengals went through a bad bout of diaorrhea last year.  Maybe you could PM her and ask her about it?

Offline Pinkbear (Julie)

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Honorary Cat
  • Where are we supposed to sleep, then?
« Reply #8 on: July 30, 2007, 14:53:20 PM »
The tail end of last year, Jumpy had intermittent diarrhea. It went on for at least three months. His tummy was swollen with gas, etc. We went through the book at the vets. We put him on fish and chicken for two months. Kept him in so he couldn't eat anything dodgy... then suddenly it stopped.

I think that just like humans, cats get little non-identified bugs. Last weekend i was at the vets, and next to me in the waiting room was a lady with two beautiful ragdoll crosses. Brother and sister ages 5 months. The boy had been showing he same symptoms as Jumpy. Makes you think, doesn't it....  :tired:

Offline Team Svartalfheims

• Super Cat
  • Minxy Moo
    • Svartalfheim's Norwegian Forest Cats
« Reply #7 on: July 30, 2007, 13:54:26 PM »
I would ask for a stool sample to be tested, that way if there is something there the right AB's can be given.

wait a day or two after you finish the antibiotics to start the probiotics
Why Lottie?   :-:

That's what the vet told me as probiotics are good bacteria and antibiotics kill good bacteria as well as bad bacteria so to wait a day or two after last antibiotic before starting the probiotics.
You can visit my cats at http://www.svartalfheim.co.uk 

Offline sheryl

• Super Cat
  • Im a Crazy CatWoman
« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2007, 13:52:45 PM »
Thanks all, I think my next step will be to ask for some samples to be tested.  They dont finish this lot of antibiotics until tomorrow so maybe it will get better then ?

I feel like a bad Mummy because it just seems to be going on and on - which is the best probiotic to try please ??  Should say though that they are fine in themselves, eating, drinking and playing - swinging from the bedrooms curtains at 3 this morning.  They have put the dog in his place (41kg Rottie/Alsation cross) and he lays down and submits to them, the fact that they launch a double frontal attack might have something to do with it !
The Purrs 2011 Cat Show!

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2007, 12:51:21 PM »
I would ask for a stool sample to be tested, that way if there is something there the right AB's can be given.

wait a day or two after you finish the antibiotics to start the probiotics
Why Lottie?   :-:

Offline Michelle (furbabystar)

• Royal Cat
  • My Baby - Issey
« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2007, 11:28:59 AM »
Poor little things.

Bengals are known for having bad tummies -
From the dealing i have had with Bengals sometimes its just a case of finding the food that they can tollirate.
I remember with one Bengal kitten he had to go onto a course of steroids to clear up the runs and then it was trial and error with food until they got it right

There are some brilliant Bengal owners on here, hopefully they can give you some advice.

Offline Team Svartalfheims

• Super Cat
  • Minxy Moo
    • Svartalfheim's Norwegian Forest Cats
« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2007, 11:28:38 AM »
Protexin Prokaolin paste combined with Hills i/d is a wonder cure for upset tums I've found  ;D

Starting probiotics (protexin do good ones) will be a good idea when the antibiotics are finished as well (wait a day or two after you finish the antibiotics to start the probiotics).
You can visit my cats at http://www.svartalfheim.co.uk 

Offline Gillian Harvey

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Sam RIP
    • Scruffy Joe's Cat Grooming & Cat Sitting
« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2007, 11:17:45 AM »
Hi all, my little Bengal babies have still got the runs on and off and we are back and forward to the vets all the time but it just doesnt seem to be getting better - infact with the current antibiotics they seem worse if anything and Mellika had a bit of blood in her poo this morning.

I wormed them at the weekend (on the vets instructions)

I just dont know what to do, we tried cooked chicken but that hasnt helped either, I dont feel that the vet is treating them correctly but dont feel in a postition to say so.

Sorry Im rambling but I just want my babies bums to get better. :(

Hi, what a shame they're not getting better, perhaps once the worm treatment has had time to work, you might see an improvement - if indeed it is worms causing this. I can't remember, did you try probiotics to see if they helped? If not, I'd certainly recommend them, especially since they've been on antibiotics - antibiotics themselves can cause diarrhea, (wait till the course of antibiotics is finished though). Your vet can supply, or you can buy online - Lacto B is one I use http://www.petmeds.co.uk/Lacto-B.

Offline sheryl

• Super Cat
  • Im a Crazy CatWoman
Do I trust the vet ??
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2007, 10:10:00 AM »
Hi all, my little Bengal babies have still got the runs on and off and we are back and forward to the vets all the time but it just doesnt seem to be getting better - infact with the current antibiotics they seem worse if anything and Mellika had a bit of blood in her poo this morning.

I wormed them at the weekend (on the vets instructions)

I just dont know what to do, we tried cooked chicken but that hasnt helped either, I dont feel that the vet is treating them correctly but dont feel in a postition to say so.

Sorry Im rambling but I just want my babies bums to get better. :(
The Purrs 2011 Cat Show!

Link to CatChat