Author Topic: Roaming cat.  (Read 24528 times)

Offline Yvonne

• Super Cat
  • Cleo
  • Slave to: Trevor, Clare, Spotty, Homer, Parrot, Cody, strays, Ginger Snaps and Jacob Black.
Re: Roaming cat.
« Reply #54 on: July 07, 2007, 21:00:23 PM »
Hiya,

Since you have made up your mind that you want to neuter him and if he will use a litter tray then yes I would keep him in if he is happy enough to be there.  Anyway I wish you the very best of luck but dont get stressed out about it.  Do you have any pictures of Sebastian?  Would love to see what he looks like.

Take care   :hug:
The Purrs 2011 Cat Show!
Could your cat be a winner? 
http://www.purrsinourhearts.co.uk/index.php/topic,37101.0.html

ccmacey

« Reply #53 on: July 07, 2007, 19:46:08 PM »
I HAVE A PROBLEM.

Seb is back, I have him in the house what should I do try to keep him here untill monday or let him out and hope he comes back? My cats are in the front foom at the mo going a bit mad and I just dont know what to do? All I could do really is try to keep him locked in the bathroom but he is spraying round the house. Help please.

ccmacey

« Reply #52 on: July 03, 2007, 13:16:10 PM »
I wouldn't dream of letting him back out unneutered especially if he did have a virus. The sad thing is when I got another cat sorted with the help of CP they done tests on him and said if he had something they would PTS. So I'm guessing they would do the same to Seb?

As with the health issues I could maybe get him insured but if I didn't and something come up I could get the funds from somewhere. I know its not just a matter of food costs.

I do have a lot on my hands at the moment and what I would really like is to get him into a shelter so he can get a propper home but if they cant take him he will have to stay here if he wants.

Still haven't seen him and I have realised another cat has been eating the food I've left out for him.

I cant do much more till/ if he turns up.  :shy:

Offline Ela

• Royal Cat
« Reply #51 on: July 03, 2007, 11:03:02 AM »
f he's positive, possibly best to hand him over to CP.

Unfortunately not all CP branches have facilities for FIV cats, also they most certainly will be a list of cats waiting to come in and the cat will need to go on the list.

Just now it is a nightmare, while I have been away we have been asked to help so many cats, last week 13 were taken from one situation. We also took in two more FIV cats making a total of 6 now in care.
« Last Edit: July 03, 2007, 17:34:25 PM by Ela »
RULES ARE FOR THE OBEDIENCE OF FOOLS AND GUIDENCE OF WISE MEN.

Offline Hippykitty

• Super Cat
  • Victoria, Lucy, Cydric,
« Reply #50 on: July 03, 2007, 09:34:13 AM »
Good point, Desley.

I have the impression that cc has taken any future vet costs into consideration. Food is the least expense, as it's a week by week expense; whereas a vet bill can be large and hit hard if you haven't budgeted for it.

Good point about the releasing, though. If he's positive, possibly best to hand him over to CP.
Cats were once gods; they have never forgotten this, nor have the people they own.

Offline Desley (booktigger)

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Molly, my wonderful babe
  • Slave to: Lucy
« Reply #49 on: July 03, 2007, 09:17:44 AM »
CC, while you can afford the food, there are other considerations, and what would you do if he had a health issue?

While Hippy has some good points, if you do it, please, please dont release an FIV or FeLV positive whole tom, not only will he create kittens, but he will spread the disease.
Please spay your cat

Offline Hippykitty

• Super Cat
« Reply #48 on: July 03, 2007, 08:28:48 AM »
cc from what you've said, it sounds as though you have the desire and the finance to keep this cat but are mainly worried about
a) the risk to the cats you already have
b) his propensity to wander.

He's wandering because he's an unneutered tom. Unlike unneutered females, who just stay put and call, toms will travel miles to find 'love' from a female in heat (not easy to find in areas where cats are properly cared for and spayed). When neutered, he'd become a soppy lump of love, seeking affection from your family. Others with neutered toms will attest to this (Max, the only tom - neutered - I've had, was just a big teddy bear).

As you are concerned about the risk to your other cats, I would suggest that you have the virus test done BEFORE you have him neutered and decide to take him in. The next time he visits, lock him into a room where your other cats can't get to him. (FLV is only spread by direct body fluid contact, so you won't carry it on your clothes etc). Take him to the vet for the blood test - have the virus testing sample sent to Glasgow. And keep him while awaiting the results.

If the results are negative, let him join the household, and get him neutered. If they're positive, release him, feeding him when you see him.

Having the virus test done BEFORE you decide to keep him will be expensive, but will give you peace of mind.

Ela, and other rescue folk, may suggest that you get him neutered in either case, to prevent more kittens. You would get a voucher for this, or could hand him over to the CP if virus positive, they'll neuter him.

imo it would be nice for you to take him on, but put your mind at ease about his FLV status first.
Cats were once gods; they have never forgotten this, nor have the people they own.

ccmacey

« Reply #47 on: July 02, 2007, 14:12:37 PM »
Thats the point I don't even know how far this cat is coming from, it could be miles. I have asked people around here if they know who's cat he is and they say I thought it was yours.  :shy:

He started hanging around before I got Harry done so its likely he's hanging around someone else's door. I just hope if this is the case that the person will notice and get him done, although saying that they must have an unspayed/ unneutered cat too.

If he does come back he will be getting put in my bathroom and not let out till I take him for the op.

I just don't want him spraying in the house, I've just had the bathroom done so thats putting me off too.  :tired:

Offline Ela

• Royal Cat
« Reply #46 on: July 02, 2007, 11:34:04 AM »
The cp didn't say anything about getting him on a list so I just thought they didn't want him?

I think as with most rescurs they are full to bursting and have a high list of cats waiting to come in, so they just wait to be asked to put the cat on the list rather than suggest it. (although I always ask)

Although I think he would be easy enough to rehome

If only, we have loads of beautiful cats with lovely natures, sadly the offer of homes is very slow. Usually it picks up again an September.

He does dissapearing acts and its been the longest I haven't seen him for now.

Allegedly unnuetered toms have a 'patch' of up to 5 mile sq radius so he could be anywhere, who knows his owner may have got him neutered and now he has settled in his own home, then again perhaps not. If he comes back again please let me know and I will send out a full cost voucher to you immediately.

Offline Pinkbear (Julie)

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Honorary Cat
  • Where are we supposed to sleep, then?
« Reply #45 on: July 02, 2007, 10:48:55 AM »
CC

As an unneutered tom, his hormones are doing 90% of the thinking for him. Sadly, they can travel miles and miles driven by the scent and calling of a female. He could have wandered off on such a trip this time...

If he does return, and you do get him done, he'll want to stay. Where else has be been able to find a decent meal and a warm welcome?

ccmacey

« Reply #44 on: July 02, 2007, 10:38:32 AM »
Thats the point I do want to keep him but don't know if he wants to be kept by me. He does dissapearing acts and its been the longest I haven't seen him for now.  :(

He was so loving the last time I seen him, rolling on his back for a stroke.

The cp didn't say anything about getting him on a list so I just thought they didn't want him? Although I think he would be easy enough to rehome.

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #43 on: July 02, 2007, 10:28:16 AM »
If your cats have up to date leukaemia jabs, he'll be no threat to them.
As Desley says thats not true and glasgow reccomend against it.

CC, are you able to insure him? As its not just food.
If you neuter him and then shut him out i dont think it is fair on the cat. My dad was doing the same thing to George, he let him in the house, fed him roast meat from his plate, let him lay on his lap all evening but didnt want to keep him, try explaining that to the cat!

I think getting him on a waiting list now would be a good idea, then you have some time to decide what your going to do, the lists are rather long so dont wait until the last minute. If things work out OK you just let CP know he isnt waiting anymore.

ccmacey

« Reply #42 on: July 02, 2007, 10:04:32 AM »
Ela the CP have not suggested I take care of him till they can take him in, they have just offered to get him neutered.

Financial side of things I probably could take him on my cats are never short of food and there is always food left over when I go to get more. I wouldn't bother having his jabs but there is flea treatments aswell  :shy: But then again I only have to flea my cats if he has been round.

I would like to keep him, he's a nice cat but I'd be worried about him passing anything onto my cats, thats not fair on them.

I don't know where he is and have not seen him for over a week, I have been leaving food out some nights but last night I saw another cat trying to get it so must of been that one?

Question is should he stay or should he go? (If he comes back  :shy: )

And time is also running out because I only have 10 weeks to go.  :tired:

Offline Ela

• Royal Cat
« Reply #41 on: July 02, 2007, 09:47:28 AM »
she also did virus tests but I'd feel cheeky to ask her to do it again.

Don't feel cheeky. If it were me you had contacted I would  automatically suggest we pay for neuter, flea/worm and testing. Especially if the finder had other cats and was willing to care for the cat or at least until we could bring it in.

I find that most people are more willing to help the 'strays' and more likely to keep them if we offer testing as well.

Offline Desley (booktigger)

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Molly, my wonderful babe
  • Slave to: Lucy
« Reply #40 on: July 02, 2007, 07:57:32 AM »
The only prob with that logic is that the FeLV jab is only 85% effective - mine are only ever tested if they are ill and the vet recommends it though. I personally wouldn't keep him if I were CC, but only from a financial point of view.
Please spay your cat

Offline Hippykitty

• Super Cat
« Reply #39 on: July 02, 2007, 05:02:53 AM »
If your cats have up to date leukaemia jabs, he'll be no threat to them. If you want to check if he's okay so that you don't become too emotionally attached, make sure you have the VIRUS test, not the antibody test. The virus test will be sent to Glasgow, and it'll take a couple of weeks before you get the result, but it's the only way to be sure of his status. Antibody tests often give false results.

Provided your other cats have up to date vaccinations, I wouldn't bother having him tested. I take a relaxed attitude to the possibility of cats having FLV, even though I've lost two cats to it. I'm pretty certain Polly and Sam have been exposed to the virus and have either thrown it off (and are immune) or are viraemic. The antibody test would be positive in either case, but the virus test would only be positive if they were viraemic.

I don't want to know. When I had cats I knew were carrying the virus, it was like a black cloud hanging over them. Every time they vomitted, wouldn't eat, or looked a bit down, I'd wonder whether this was the beginning of the end. It was horrible. Not information I ever want to have about any of my cats again.

Lots of peeps will disagree with me and take the more cautious path.

Offline Bazsmum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Bazzy Bazilla
    • The Animal Rescue Site
« Reply #38 on: July 01, 2007, 18:12:09 PM »
also remember the CP dont charge for testing, they will do this at the same time as the neuter so its worth mentioning to them ;)

* in special cases that is*

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #37 on: July 01, 2007, 16:45:24 PM »
From what you have said i think you should test to put your mind at rest. When hes been neutered he will more than likely choose not to leave so it would be easier to decide before sending him.

ccmacey

« Reply #36 on: July 01, 2007, 15:53:13 PM »
So whats best to do, do you think?

I am going to get him neutered, when he decides to turn up. But after should I let him go or let him stay, which ever he chooses? I need to put my own cats safety first

I have already had a cat die from some sort of virus and Ted was also gravely ill, I wouldn't be able to forgive myself if it happened again.

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #35 on: July 01, 2007, 15:45:23 PM »
If he has fiv it shouldnt be a problem, the transmission rate is 1-2% and you need deep bites to pass it on.
Felv is more easily passed on and you wouldnt know if he had it or not.
Although without the tests I wont know will I
Nope!

We didnt screen George but we were not as educated on things as we are now, as it was what he had wouldnt have been picked up anyway.

ccmacey

« Reply #34 on: July 01, 2007, 13:52:36 PM »
Had another thought- what if he is FIV or has other viruses, the lady from the CP said she will get the vet to worm and flea him and with another stray that I got "sorted" she also did virus tests but I'd feel cheeky to ask her to do it again. All my cats have had their jabs and they are kept up to date but if he did have something would this cause problems for them with them being able to catch it? I'm sure there will be a few exchanged slaps. Although without the tests I wont know will I.

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #33 on: July 01, 2007, 12:18:29 PM »
Try not to think the worst, its very likely a lady keeping him away. I hadnt seen my stray or had any phonecalls about him for a week and hes ok  ;D

ccmacey

« Reply #32 on: July 01, 2007, 12:15:20 PM »
Have not seen Seb for over a week now, and Im starting to think something has happened to him  :( Maybe just me being silly  :shy: I hope he turns up.

Offline Hippykitty

• Super Cat
« Reply #31 on: July 01, 2007, 02:19:30 AM »
This is the link to the site. You'll find several pages of interest to you.

http://www.wizz-catz.co.uk/behavioural.html

Offline Hippykitty

• Super Cat
« Reply #30 on: July 01, 2007, 02:15:45 AM »
It may be a good idea to offer him a box or something to shelter from the rain; but he's probably hanging around a queen. He'll be cream crackered afterwards, and very hungry.

I think Wizz have some good tips about introducing cats. Don't have a link to hand. Will have a quick google.

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #29 on: June 30, 2007, 19:11:15 PM »
I know he will need to recover for a while after the op so I'm going to keep him in my house till the next day. If he wants to go after I have no choice but to let him.

Thats what me & my mum said about George, fully expecting him to hate us and run off.... he went nowhere  :evillaugh: sadly we only had a couple of years but he got all the loving he deserved.

ccmacey

« Reply #28 on: June 30, 2007, 18:55:59 PM »
I hope so MM.  :shy:

I know he will need to recover for a while after the op so I'm going to keep him in my house till the next day. If he wants to go after I have no choice but to let him.

It wouldnt be as bad if I didnt "own" king cat around here. Ted just dosnt like other cats on his patch.  :tired:

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #27 on: June 30, 2007, 18:50:24 PM »
If you get the vets to flea him at the same time as neutering, he will come to you clean, as he will need a warm bed for at least 24 hrs to recover from the GA.
He may be hanging around a female in heat, he will want first dibs! No doubt he will be back when hungry  ;D

ccmacey

« Reply #26 on: June 30, 2007, 18:23:06 PM »
He is Seb, well thats what I've named him anyway.  I hope he starts to come back so I can get him sorted. I'm thinking with it raining so much maybe he has been staying at home? I've left food out a couple of nights and it's been eaten but that could be any cat.

Offline Pinkbear (Julie)

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #25 on: June 30, 2007, 12:22:05 PM »
I know it's heartbreaking...  :'(

As others have said, he won't be so much of a threat to Seb once he's sorted.

There's loads of advice and views about introducing new cats to resident cats. My method is to wait until both are hungry, then fill their bowls with their favourite foods and place the bowls a good six feet apart, then let them both in. There'll be some swearing and treatening, but unless one actually pins the other against the floor by the throat, I always stand back and let them sort it out for themselves. After a while, their bellies are usually calling the shots.  :sneaky:

I can say hand on heart that one way or another I've always managed to get cats to at least tolerate each other...

In the interim, is there no way you can sort him a bit of shelter if he's hanging round your garden. Do you have a shed? Can you get hold of a tea chest and prop it on its side under a bush or something...?

I always say that cats have a way of knowing where to find a save haven anf a kind hearted person. He seems to have chosen you, cc!  :Luv:

ccmacey

« Reply #24 on: June 30, 2007, 11:45:13 AM »
Hi pinkbear  :)

Yes he is friendly, I can pick him up, stroke him and everything. He is sort of ok with my cats but I have a big male cat who likes to think he's boss around here and does a sort of tribal dance when they see each other, Seb is scared of him.  :shy:

I feel so sorry for him cos I can see he's really went down hill since he's been coming over the past 5 months. When he comes around I can see all he wants is a place to rest his head but cant let him into the house because of my cats and he also has fleas  :(

I would be willing to let him stay and do some peacekeeping intervention between them if the little begger starts to turn up  :shy: but with being pregnant I cant wait up for him to call round and I think he may be coming through the night. He used to come through the day and just walk into my kitchen but with it raining I don't keep the door open.

Offline Pinkbear (Julie)

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #23 on: June 30, 2007, 11:32:21 AM »
If he's even halfway friendly now, which you seem to hint at, within a couple of weeks of him being 'done' and the hormones have gone, he'll be fine.  I took on a cat under just the same circumstances and he turned out to be one of the most rewarding I've had. You will certainly see a change in his character and the way he interacts with your other cats.

I'm sure that when they've had it tough, like he has, they are twice as grateful for some TLC.

And don't forget the pics!  :wow:

ccmacey

« Reply #22 on: June 30, 2007, 11:12:46 AM »
Been over a week now I have been waiting for the voucher to get him done, silly me forgot about the postal strike! I havent seen Seb for a while either, I hope he hasnt decided to stay away now Im gonna get him done.  :shy:

Offline Hippykitty

• Super Cat
« Reply #21 on: June 30, 2007, 09:27:16 AM »
Once he's been neutered your cats are more likely to accept him cc. He'll lose that 'tomcatty' smell, and they won't see him as so much of a threat.

Hope all goes well.

Offline lilycat

• Senior Cat
  • Lilycat
« Reply #20 on: June 22, 2007, 21:44:15 PM »
I had a similar dilemma some time ago - a white persian was wandering in the area, I've never seen a cat look so uncared for. It was absolutely filthy, it had a red wheal around its neck where its collar [no id] was rubbing, it was covered in fleas and was terribly matted to the point that it was missing huge patches of fur on some areas [which were very red and hot].

I had a very good idea where it came from but I rang the CP and reported it as a stray; his owner had kept him as an indoor cat for a while but got bored of him so got a puppy instead. Kitty just got thrown out. I put him in one of my cat carriers, CP came and collected him [the woman who came was furious at his condition] and I got a call a couple of weeks later saying he'd been rehomed with an experienced persian owner who'd lost her previous cat. Cp had had to shave all his fur off and she said the fleas on him were enormous.

CC - He'd be better off with someone who loved him and could take proper care of him and CP would ensure he gets a home if yours don't take to him. 

ccmacey

« Reply #19 on: June 22, 2007, 20:44:43 PM »
Calling and asking her is not an option anymore, she has not returned my calls after me requesting to get him neutered. I have even called to say he had a gash/ large scratch or whatever on the back of his neck and still nothing  :shy:

Im going to get him neutered now but the only problem will be if he dosnt calm down and my cats dont accept him, then where would he go?

Offline blackcat

• Moderating/Auction Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Home of Smidgen, Sebastian and Billy.
« Reply #18 on: June 22, 2007, 20:27:18 PM »
I have phoned and left messages on her phone, obviously she not answer cos she knows its me  :tired:

There is a way to shut off your phone number (I think you dial 141 before the number you are calling) so that the number does not register at the other end. Then call at a time you would not normally call (i.e. if you usually call before dinner, try at 8 pm and see what sort of response you get. Wouldn't call any later than that as I personally would be fairly rude to a stranger who called after that hour ................

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #17 on: June 22, 2007, 20:23:44 PM »
I should imagine he will decide to move in once hes neutered  :evillaugh:

ccmacey

« Reply #16 on: June 22, 2007, 18:53:45 PM »
I think she said to phone them to report his owner but all I have is a phone number, dont know where she lives, he could be coming for miles. I only see him every couple of day's you see.

I have phoned and left messages on her phone, obviously she not answer cos she knows its me  :tired:

I hope he will calm down after and maybe he will start to be ok with my cats? I think he could move in its only Ted that gets peed off with him, and he goes for the little one's, maybe this will stop? He's a really lovely cat and I hope things work out. I have a baby on the way so dont know if I could take him on but Im willing to give him a go.

Maybe he will be neutered and Ill never see him again? Thats not what I want though but I know being realistic I cant take him in cos of the new baby.

Offline Michelle (furbabystar)

• Royal Cat
  • My Baby - Issey
« Reply #15 on: June 22, 2007, 18:43:07 PM »
Phoned the CP, she said to phone the RSPCA but don't really know if I should??

I WOULDNT CC
He might end up being PTS

You might find after he has been neutered he will go home as he wont want to roam.
OR
He might want to stay even more lol

Did you try and find an owner for him ?

Link to CatChat