Author Topic: Legal requirement for motorists to report any collisions with cats  (Read 4155 times)

Offline Rosella moggy

• Fundraising/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Popeye & Elsa
  • Slave to: Noni Baroni, Dinah, Ruby, Groucho, Bobby. Popeye & Elsa
Re: Legal requirement for motorists to report any collisions with cats
« Reply #10 on: October 31, 2010, 09:42:37 AM »
If most councils won't even introduce scanners to check for microchips due to cost, this has very little chance of getting through.

Offline Teresa Pawcats

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • www.pawsinncatrescue.co.uk
    • Paws Inn Website rehoming page
« Reply #9 on: October 31, 2010, 09:36:16 AM »
Who would pay for it ? You the Taxpayer. The police are already overstretched.

Offline Ellen2010

• Distinguished Cat
  • Sophie 9/93 - 3/10/11 Play hard my little angel
  • Slave to: Timmy, Baby, Danita, Tia, Miffy and Domino
« Reply #8 on: October 31, 2010, 01:30:34 AM »
I think reaction of police officers to missing animals is down to the individual officer. The police told me my dog would come back when it was hungry when I was burgalled bearing in mind this was a 13 year old dog that suffered with  IBS/colitis, I found her 3 days later at a vets having been hit by a car and the police never even took any details of her in case she was involved in a road accident so they could let me know.
It is better to have loved and lost than never to have loved at all

Offline Pinkbear (Julie)

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Honorary Cat
  • Where are we supposed to sleep, then?
« Reply #7 on: October 30, 2010, 21:34:15 PM »
Let's not forget the geographical origin of this new article. AFAIK, there is no obligation on motorists on the mainland to report any animal strikes of any species.  :shy:

OTT a bit but Manx cats are actually endangered, aren't they?  :shify:

Offline beckamsimmons

• Adult Cat
  • looking for my sweet kitten Thimble always
  • Slave to: Bubble and Squeak
« Reply #6 on: October 30, 2010, 21:16:14 PM »
This is an interesting one, we can't possibly control our cats, they control us, we all know that!

It has been something I've been thinking about this week as my cat is missing, poor darling thimble. This week we had news of an RTA and a cat seen lying in the road on the night she disappeared. Now the police were on the scene so I checked with the council first, and no cats were dealt with, so I called the police. They said they'd been at an RTA that night but they'd not have made any note of a cat as it's not their job to do so. It was very frustrating indeed! They even said 'well it's not a dog'. At this point i must say we've spoken to two other police people whilst looking for thimble and both were immensely helpful! Guess the lady who answers the phone is not so nice...

As it turns out, two further witnesses came forward via our posters, and the cat in question, poor thing, was large and so it couldn't have been thimble as she's still very small. I assume the owner lived nearby hence the council not being involved.

I think if it was the law to report some people more people would just because there's a fair few non-cat lovers who will abide by the law, jobsworth types. There will always be barstewards who won't stop or report it whatever the law says and we can't do anything about them except be thankful they're a minority ( i hope)

B :Luv2:
xx
Please help me find my best friend Thimble, missing in Coventry 19.10.10

Offline Susanne (urbantigers)

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • PA to Mosi & Kito
« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2010, 10:06:54 AM »
It does, however, present some problems. The legal requirement for reporting hitting a dog or livestock is based on the fact that the owner of these animals is obliged to keep them under control. Therefore, if you hit one, and the accident is reported to the police, your insurance company can claim damages from the owner of the animal. Be careful what you wish for ....

I agree.  On the face of it, it seems a great idea and I would love to see  more responsibility towards cats in that kind of situation, but as blackcat says, if cats start being seen less as property and  more an animal the owner should keep under control, that could have all sorts of implications for those whose cats have outdoor access.

Offline blackcat

• Moderating/Auction Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Home of Smidgen, Sebastian and Billy.
« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2010, 05:48:59 AM »
It does, however, present some problems. The legal requirement for reporting hitting a dog or livestock is based on the fact that the owner of these animals is obliged to keep them under control. Therefore, if you hit one, and the accident is reported to the police, your insurance company can claim damages from the owner of the animal. Be careful what you wish for ....

Offline maryas

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • SUPERMUM to BONNIE
« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2010, 22:26:05 PM »
I too hope it's brought in BUT even if it is will people be honest and report it - they will probably think 'it's a waste of time it was only a cat'  >:(

Mary
Love me, love my cat - don't love my cat... S*D off! R.I.P Smudgie - sleep well my precious little darling, I miss you so much. 01.02.94-15.04.08 x Look after the beautiful Bonnie Bum, I took her pain away 02.04.15 x Tisha was with me 3 weeks and then I had to take her pain away 1.7.15 x

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Save a life draw/Commercial Assistant/Moderating Staff
  • Royal Cat
« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2010, 22:13:20 PM »
Hope it's bought in but like you won't hold my breath!  :tired:

Offline Yvonne

• Super Cat
  • Cleo
  • Slave to: Trevor, Clare, Spotty, Homer, Parrot, Cody, strays, Ginger Snaps and Jacob Black.
Legal requirement for motorists to report any collisions with cats
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2010, 19:44:59 PM »
Legal requirement for motorists to report any collisions with cats

http://www.manxradio.com/newsread.aspx?id=48282

I will not hold my breath but it does appear to be a step in the right direction
The Purrs 2011 Cat Show!
Could your cat be a winner? 
http://www.purrsinourhearts.co.uk/index.php/topic,37101.0.html

Link to CatChat