Author Topic: Cat trees?!  (Read 3149 times)

Offline Angeladeedah

• Senior Cat
Re: Cat trees?!
« Reply #23 on: October 03, 2008, 13:13:12 PM »
http://www.zooplus.co.uk/shop/cats/scratching_posts/banana_leaf/45600

I have this one here and a round post too - both well used!  Nova weighs roughly 8lb and Mia's around 4/5 - They're always swinging off the banana leaf tree and its still very sturdy - although they chewed off the fluffy bauble attached to it in half hour  lol:)

That's the one I had originally been looking at - and its at a low price just now (well, the lowest I've seen it at)

Offline Angeladeedah

• Senior Cat
« Reply #22 on: October 03, 2008, 13:03:15 PM »
OMG - that is fabulous!  I would love that for my 2 boys!  I love the one for Gizmo that is on Girls of the Playboy Mansion (if anyone watches it).

Offline Angiew

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Honorary Cat
« Reply #21 on: October 02, 2008, 19:28:30 PM »
If you've money enough - I got a cat palace one though it did cost over £700. I think they do a lease scheme - don't know if that another name for monthly payments. Had it about a year now and its as goos as the day I bought it (minus a leaf or two).

http://www.catpalace.nl/index2_uk.htm

Offline Team Svartalfheims

• Super Cat
  • Minxy Moo
    • Svartalfheim's Norwegian Forest Cats
« Reply #20 on: October 02, 2008, 18:38:55 PM »
My lot have got a Benissa scratchpost from Zooplus but it's not that great for large cats as it wobbles when they jump on it but it would be brilliant for smaller cats. I've also got a few of the ones from Cat Playstations (http://www.catplay-stations.com/) which are solid wood and have stood up well so far to all the abuse mine have thrown at them. Big thumbs up from me and the Team for Cat Playstations!!  ;D ;D
« Last Edit: October 02, 2008, 18:41:59 PM by Team Svartalfheims »
You can visit my cats at http://www.svartalfheim.co.uk 

Offline Zenith (Liz)

• Hero Cat
  • Liz, Mia and Nova
« Reply #19 on: October 02, 2008, 17:59:12 PM »
http://www.zooplus.co.uk/shop/cats/scratching_posts/banana_leaf/45600

I have this one here and a round post too - both well used!  Nova weighs roughly 8lb and Mia's around 4/5 - They're always swinging off the banana leaf tree and its still very sturdy - although they chewed off the fluffy bauble attached to it in half hour  lol:)

Offline Angeladeedah

• Senior Cat
« Reply #18 on: October 02, 2008, 13:17:56 PM »
 :thanks:

Just had a look on their website and they appear to look really good and sturdy. Thank you very much for that.

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Save a life draw/Commercial Assistant/Moderating Staff
  • Royal Cat
« Reply #17 on: October 02, 2008, 09:12:24 AM »
I have one from here... http://www.catscratcher.com/ (aka Russell Hardy Designs)

Riley is a very big boy (7.65 kg including plastic carrier) and my one takes the weight of him and Lucas wrestling, swinging from it etc  It's handmade, very sturdy and will last a lifetime as the posts are solid wood.  The boys love it  ;D

Offline Angeladeedah

• Senior Cat
« Reply #16 on: October 02, 2008, 08:59:26 AM »
Thanks.  One of my boys is 8.5kg - actually he's probably just slightly less than that now as he's been on a diet but he doesn't get weighed for another 2 weeks.  We're hoping to get him down to 5.5kg.

Offline koscha (Ruth M)

• Hero Cat
  • Meowmy to Kelirehenna, Rincewind & Zeratul
« Reply #15 on: October 02, 2008, 05:08:09 AM »
If you have big cats I can most definatley recommend the La Dique cat tree from Zooplus. It has a reasonably small 'footprint' but stands approx 6', plus its stable so no fear of it suddenly tipping over!

It's fantastic for larger cats...my 2 boys are 5Kg+ and they fit into the 'little house' no probs!

Offline Angeladeedah

• Senior Cat
« Reply #14 on: October 01, 2008, 23:44:51 PM »
That's a really nice one.  The problem I have now is that the boys are big now - especially Harvey - so its trying to find a nice sturdy one that will take their weight as a lot of them are aimed at kittens.

Offline Feline Costumier

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #13 on: October 01, 2008, 19:27:14 PM »
I've got this one http://www.zooplus.co.uk/shop/cats/scratching_posts/medium/40850

My two both love it, Chilli now pretty much only sleeps on the perch. Dave likes the little den and they both enjoy playing and scratching it. I've had it more than six months and it looks hardly used. Takes up very little floor space which was important for me too.

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #12 on: October 01, 2008, 19:08:34 PM »
Iv got 3 from zooplus (and one spare one that was a good bargin for future replacement) all of them are lasting well and are well used by all 6 cats  ;D

Offline JackSpratt

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #11 on: October 01, 2008, 10:14:54 AM »
S'ours. Pretty basic but the cats seem to like it. (Well, for scratching anyway!)

Carrie, Jack,Toby and Parsley ~ Love and miss you all always.x

Offline JackSpratt

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #10 on: October 01, 2008, 10:14:36 AM »
S'ours. Pretty basic but the cats seem to like it. (Well, for scratching anyway!)

Carrie, Jack,Toby and Parsley ~ Love and miss you all always.x

Offline moiramassey

• Adult Cat
  • Moira's Mitzi
« Reply #9 on: October 01, 2008, 07:46:02 AM »
I got a huge one from ebay and I have disassembled it and reworked it as the kittens got older. It is now in two places in the lounge. The problem is that Flynn is too big to sleep in the cylinder (his favourite place) and Mitzi can hardly fit into the top house (her favourite place).

Since I catproofed the garden they need it more for sleeping and scratching than for climbing and playing. I want one with beds that are big enough to be comfortable, preferrably big enough for Flynn and Mitzi to share. I am looking at the Kalven ones because the components are big enough for a full sized cat and I am hoping the big circular bed will take Mitzi and Flynn (like in the bed at the bottom of the picture Gillian posted, although her two have crammed themselves into the smaller bed up top!).

Blacken, Mini, Flynn and Mitzi
"One cat just leads to another" Ernest Hemingway

Offline Hippykitty

• Super Cat
  • Victoria, Lucy, Cydric,
« Reply #8 on: October 01, 2008, 05:50:31 AM »
Could anyone recommend one for BIG cats. Fred and Vic need a new one, preferably to share with Sam and Polly to aid bonding. The one I had from the RSPCA is totally worn out. Some of those on the links look designed for kittens. Fred and Vic are enormous now. Thanks.
Cats were once gods; they have never forgotten this, nor have the people they own.

Offline Angeladeedah

• Senior Cat
« Reply #7 on: September 28, 2008, 10:18:15 AM »
Oh, that is a fab one!  And really reasonable too!  That's something to think about.  That one is the same paw pattern/colour that is on their one just now.  I currently have a zooplus one for my boys - they've had it 2.5 years now and its still going strong but I wanted a new one and I'll put their current one in another room.  :)

Offline sixfurballs

• Senior Cat
  • Bronte, Dino, Huxley & Heidi
« Reply #6 on: September 28, 2008, 09:45:26 AM »
I love the look of the banana ones too but considering how expensive they are I can't imagine them lasting that long - I think my cats would chew them up or scratch and pull out strands of the banana.

I have a small, a medium and a larger cat tree and they are all used. I got this one from zooplus a couple of months ago as plenty of room for all the cats, without them having to feel like there is another cat sitting right on top of them and none of the stability worries of the ceiling trees.

I go for cheap and cheerful for the trees as like with anything I find they get bored after a while, although I have to say they have all lasted reasonably well.

http://www.zooplus.co.uk/shop/cats/scratching_posts/medium/15128

Offline Angeladeedah

• Senior Cat
« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2008, 22:15:35 PM »
Oh, I didn't know there was link from here to Zooplus - that's a shame I recently had an order from them.  I must remember that for future.

Those Kalven cat scratchers are really nice.  I'm thinking of getting my boys a new one for their Christmas.  I love the Banana Tree ones at Zooplus.

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Save a life draw/Commercial Assistant/Moderating Staff
  • Royal Cat
« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2008, 23:56:43 PM »
Absolutely worth it...  Other toys/beds go in and out of favour but the one thing that is always popular in my house is the climber.  Zooplus ones may not last a lifetime but they're bl00dy good value - they have a sale on at the moment with up to 45% off cat trees - free delivery when you spend £29 or more and if you go through the Purrs link at the bottom of the page the Purrs rescue fund gets 5% .

Medium sized ones...  http://www.zooplus.co.uk/shop/cats/scratching_posts/medium

Offline Gillian Harvey

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Sam RIP
    • Scruffy Joe's Cat Grooming & Cat Sitting
« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2008, 22:31:10 PM »
Oh definitely worth it, mine spend most of their time on their cat trees.  ;D I'd always recommend Kalven cat trees, because they're really sturdy (the posts are wood not cardboard like many) and the carpet is really good quality, lasts for years. Mine are over 10 yrs old now and one is just starting to look threadbare at the base (where they've scratched it). www.kalven.co.uk

This is one of the upstairs ones:

This is the one thats a bit threadbare and the sisal around the posts needs replacing, but its the one they use more than any as its in the lounge.

They like to share too LOL!

Offline Feline Costumier

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2008, 21:58:12 PM »
I got one from Zooplus (they have loads), it has been well worth the money, which wasn't really very much for what I got. I've only got a small flat too. Chilli sleep on it all night and Dave has spells on it when Chilli lets him! They both use the scratching parts too. Definitely money well spent.

Offline wharfevalley catsprotection

• Cat Rescue
  • Distinguished Cat
  • Bobby - looking for a new home
    • Cats Protection Wharfe Valley
Cat trees?!
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2008, 20:40:56 PM »
Now i'm working and out of the house for a lot of the day, i'd like to get Katie a cat tree to entertain herself and she seems to like to find new places to sleep - are they worth it? I get so used to buying her stuff that she never uses but she seems to love when we were re-carpeting and she could sit on top of the upended bed and climb her way up the side!

I only have a 1 bedroomed flat and so it can't be too big and money is (as always) tight - any recommendations?

Thanks!
Visit the cats and kittens looking for homes in the Leeds area at www.cats-wharfevalley.org.uk

Link to CatChat