Author Topic: Important information for owners of Diabetic Cats  (Read 5595 times)

Offline Lindsey (thefunkyinuit)

• Senior Cat
Re: Important information for owners of Diabetic Cats
« Reply #12 on: January 17, 2011, 20:48:09 PM »
I spoke to my vet about Hypurin Protamine Zinc this evening she seemed quite happy to look into it for Lacie when my Insuvet stock runs out (Thats in just over a year, so no need to worry too much yet!)  :)

Offline paddypaws101

• Adult Cat
  • Slave to: Nellie, Paddy, Murphy ( Now all at the Bridge), Peggy and Mitzy and Milo, Millie and Monty, Woody and Wiggins
« Reply #11 on: January 14, 2011, 16:55:32 PM »
I know of several people who have been using the Hypurin protamine zinc for their cats with good results. It is exactly the same as the Insuvet, but labelled for human use. Thus, under the Cascade, a vet may prescribe it for veterinary use....it is just a matter of persuading an individual vet to do so. :evillaugh:
I was lucky enough to stock up with a couple of bottles of Insuvet last year when I found out it was being discontinued.

Offline Jasmine

• Hero Cat
« Reply #10 on: January 14, 2011, 13:47:35 PM »
I will bear your advice in mind Firefox if Sweep has any probs.

Offline Fire Fox

• Hero Cat
  • Slave to: Tallulah & Bridge boy Noah Pesto-chops
« Reply #9 on: January 11, 2011, 22:57:56 PM »
It may be worth asking your vet what they are willing to recommend or prescribe off license, since there are a number of bovine insulins still available for humans (I just checked the latest British National Formulary). As I have said before I am seriously rusty with my pharmacy and I don't pretend to have ever understood the different formulations and speed of action so I really can't be any more specific. But IMO there's a fighting chance an open minded veterinarian would be able to source a suitable replacement after a little research/ long chat with an open minded pharmacist!  ;)
:'( My beautiful Noah rescued 13/02/09, adopted 11/10/09, taken 11/02/11 :'( You deserved so much more.
Lulu's Catbook
http://apps.facebook.com/catbook/profile/view/10311818

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Save a life draw/Commercial Assistant/Moderating Staff
  • Royal Cat
« Reply #8 on: January 11, 2011, 18:00:07 PM »
What a worry  :hug: Hope you can find an alternative before your stocks run out  :(  :hug:

Offline Liz

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Here come the boys!!!!
« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2011, 16:46:24 PM »
Both of ours have only ever been on canin insulin and are fine with it and we have had no hypo's.
Liz and the Clan Cats and Dogs

Offline madamcat (Edd)

• Hero Cat
« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2011, 16:43:08 PM »
I know, its awful  :( I did think of contacting the company but I coudn't find any contact details for them directly, only suppliers.

On Noah's compendium it says Insuvet manufacturer is Pfizer - here is the link and you can click for different sections on Insuvet on the left side
 http://www.noahcompendium.co.uk/Pfizer_Limited/Insuvet/-34411.html
But when you go on Pfizer cannot find Insuvet - so maybe contact them
http://www.pfizer.co.uk/global/pages/contactus.aspx Know that the animal medicine division is in Surrey.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2011, 16:43:42 PM by Edd »

• Senior Cat
« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2011, 15:15:43 PM »
This is terrible and have to think that the company are just being greedy and think they are not making enough money.

Have you tried emailing the comapany and asking why/

:hug: :hug: :hug: :hug:

I know, its awful  :( I did think of contacting the company but I coudn't find any contact details for them directly, only suppliers.
I have had a quick look and come across another company that do Bovine insulin (Caninsulin is Porcine) They seem to do Lente, PZI & Neutal and Pet Drugs Online are offering them as an alternative to Insuvet. I've haven't researched it thoroughly though. Its called HYPURIN INSULIN BOVINE if you're interested in finding out more - I know I am!

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2011, 14:23:18 PM »
mY goodness this is serious and I feel for all of you with diabetic cats  :hug: :hug:

I am diabetic and can imagoine what a terrible effect would be if this happened to humans.

Offline Jasmine

• Hero Cat
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2011, 14:15:45 PM »
Yes, I was made aware of this via a letter last November:

"We have been informed that for the foreseeable future there will be no further supplies of Insuvet products (Lente, Pzi & Neutral).  There is now only one UK authorised veterinary medicinal product containing insulin and this is Caninsulin (Intervet /Schering Plough).  Insuvet Lente is a bovine insulin whereas Caninsulin is a porcine insulin, therefore it will not be a simple straightforward swap of the medication,we will need to adjust the amount of insulin given."

As a result, I stocked up (well, I have 2 bottles - incl the one I am using now, and the vet has a spare for emergencies).

I'm very worried about this too, especially as there appears to have been problems with this type in America:
http://animalsheltertips.com/blog/health/diabetic-pet-owners-vetsulin-alert/

And, as you say, what happens if an animal doesn't respond to treatment, there are no other options now. :scared:

I also have the additional worry of managing the transition myself (obviously with guidance from the vets), as the vet who was looking after Sweep left last year, and I lost some faith with the vet he is now under when she previously advised me to up his dose without testing his blood glucose.  I did subsequently query this, but he had a hypo attack the night before I was due to see the old vet for a second opinion.  He went into a coma and was in the vets 3 days, and ever since then I have taken it upon myself to monitor his condition with a glucometer at home (only referring to vets when something odd/worrying occurs).

I am dreading the transition. :( 

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2011, 13:47:39 PM »
This is terrible and have to think that the company are just being greedy and think they are not making enough money.

Have you tried emailing the comapany and asking why/

:hug: :hug: :hug: :hug:

• Senior Cat
Important information for owners of Diabetic Cats
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2011, 12:16:42 PM »
I hate to be the bearer of bad news but my vet has informed me that Insuvet are discontinuing ALL of their Insulin products, this includes PZI & Lente & that there will be no replacment product.

I have had to stock up as my cat did not respond to treatment with Caninsulin.
I believe the best 'use by' date you will be able to get is Feb 2012, that is if you can still get it now.
I'm very upset about this as its almost as if theres an expiry date been put on my beloved Lacie  :'( (unless she responds to a high dose of Caninsulin which is far from ideal.)
I don't know the exact reason for the discontinuation but apparantly the same happened in America a few years ago.

This does not affect Caninsulin Insulin.

Link to CatChat