Author Topic: WHATEVER IS HAPPENING.  (Read 3490 times)

Offline Mojo

• Distinguished Cat
Re: WHATEVER IS HAPPENING.
« Reply #18 on: October 22, 2007, 12:09:09 PM »
I did read an article in a cat magazine recently where someone breeding had a cat with pkd (I think) who had "had to make the  heartbreaking decision to neuter" because of it surely that is an odd message for a cat magazine to put out?

I read that too-the same magazine that advertises those "claw cap" things :-[

Add Glitter to Pictures

R.I.P My beautiful Mango xx 13/05/2006 - 01/11/2009

Offline hOrZa

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #17 on: October 22, 2007, 10:51:17 AM »
"had to make the  heartbreaking decision to neuter" because of it surely that is an odd message for a cat magazine to put out?

Maybe it was a direct quote from the breeder
Cats are like little bundles of razor blades wrapped in soft fur.

Offline Dawn F

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #16 on: October 22, 2007, 08:55:34 AM »
I did read an article in a cat magazine recently where someone breeding had a cat with pkd (I think) who had "had to make the  heartbreaking decision to neuter" because of it surely that is an odd message for a cat magazine to put out?

Offline Bazsmum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Bazzy Bazilla
    • The Animal Rescue Site
« Reply #15 on: October 21, 2007, 19:12:17 PM »

I dont know how you kept calm with that VN, I would have had to say something.

I was in deep conversation with the VN....to be honest I would'nt think its something she states widely.....as I was saying how angry I get when ppl dont spay/neuter there cats....and are allowed to breed  ;)

Offline Desley (booktigger)

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Molly, my wonderful babe
  • Slave to: Lucy
« Reply #14 on: October 21, 2007, 18:35:15 PM »
You will have to let us know how it gets on in Coventry Angie, it would be good if more of those things were done. I do agree with Susanne about the early spay/neuter, but I dont think we have enough vets trained in it - my vet will do them at 4 months now, and the rescues vet will do them at 5, but yet the rescue lady I foster for still tells people 6 months. Neither her or the vet like the idea of operating on babies, yet did a hernia on on an 8wo male, surely that is as invasive?
I dont know how you kept calm with that VN, I would have had to say something.
Please spay your cat

Offline Angiew

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Honorary Cat
« Reply #13 on: October 21, 2007, 15:59:05 PM »
. i think the RSPCA should focus their adverts round neutering rather than cruelty, and it might start getting the message across

The RSPCA are doing a pet awareness week in Coventry from the 29th October and I'm going along to help. They are targeting Willenhall which is one of our (many) problem areas in Coventry. I spoke to the area organiser who said they had done one in ?wigan? or somewhere. The inspectors went around and saw 700 animals, chipped (FOC) nearly 400 , handed out nearly 300 neutering vouchers and had 1 cruelty case.
As much as I have a lot against the rspca as a rehoming organisation this sort of approach is brilliant and I can only offer my support. (I'm also thinking of relocating for the week  ;) )

Offline Michelle (furbabystar)

• Royal Cat
  • My Baby - Issey
« Reply #12 on: October 21, 2007, 15:51:27 PM »
. i think the RSPCA should focus their adverts round neutering rather than cruelty, and it might start getting the message across - plus, if there are less animals born, the more chance we have of placing them in loving homes, and the less cruelty.

Thats a good idea !
Alot of the time it is because people arnt educated about cats -
As Ela has said, too many people think it is best to allow a cat to have a first litter (as for that VN - :censored: idiot)

Most people get a cute little kitten but know nothing about FIV, nothing about complications of pregnancy and birth and nothing about the thousands of unwanted cats in this country

Offline Ela

• Royal Cat
« Reply #11 on: October 21, 2007, 15:18:56 PM »
.I was chatting to the VN and she said "dont tell anyone but I think females are alot nicer when allowed to have at least one litter" that really shocked me

Obviously as she told you she must be passing this info onto others. I think had that been me I would have asked her for more details and what proof she had. I also this she should know better than to say such things.

I know there cannot be a more loving and gentle cat than my Jessica and she was spayed at 6 months, as indeed are all cats that are adopted from us and hundreds of them have turned out to be 'nice' cats.
« Last Edit: October 21, 2007, 15:19:36 PM by Ela »
RULES ARE FOR THE OBEDIENCE OF FOOLS AND GUIDENCE OF WISE MEN.

Offline Bazsmum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Bazzy Bazilla
    • The Animal Rescue Site
« Reply #10 on: October 21, 2007, 14:19:17 PM »
...and what about the females who have kittens with complications.. and what if the female does not take to mothering as some do....I dont understand it either  :Crazy:

Offline hOrZa

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #9 on: October 21, 2007, 14:16:05 PM »
But why think like that? why would it make any difference?
Cats are like little bundles of razor blades wrapped in soft fur.

Offline Bazsmum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Bazzy Bazilla
    • The Animal Rescue Site
« Reply #8 on: October 21, 2007, 14:10:36 PM »
Also so many people still believe that females should have one litter before spaying.

I was pretty horrified when I got my Maisey spayed....I was chatting to the VN and she said "dont tell anyone but I think females are alot nicer when allowed to have at least one litter" that really shocked me  :(

Offline Susanne (urbantigers)

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • PA to Mosi & Kito
« Reply #7 on: October 21, 2007, 00:02:25 AM »
Paediatric neutering is the only way there will be a reduction in the number of kittens being born, and therefore in the number of cats, imo.  Until that happens, I don't think anything will change.

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2007, 23:39:28 PM »
Its very sad that cats are often just not going to homes were neutering is done it seems.

We know that the rescues on here are hot on this and Cp publicise and offer vouchers but there are too many people trying to make money from kittens.

I wish we knew the answer and like Ela says this year seems to be particularly bad  and thats what is strange.

Offline Ela

• Royal Cat
« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2007, 23:13:30 PM »
Having them neutered costs money. they aren't going to pay out are they?.

Cats Protection spent over 6 million pounds last year on neutering and nowadays will give vouchers to anyone, strange thing is people with females only seem to find out after their cat has had a litter or two. Also so many people still believe that females should have one litter before spaying.

Offline Desley (booktigger)

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Molly, my wonderful babe
  • Slave to: Lucy
« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2007, 22:25:30 PM »
Me and the woman I foster for were only talking about this today, and we came to the conclusion that spaying is the only way it will end, but it is the one thing that doesnt seem to be happening. i think the RSPCA should focus their adverts round neutering rather than cruelty, and it might start getting the message across - plus, if there are less animals born, the more chance we have of placing them in loving homes, and the less cruelty.
Please spay your cat

Offline Gail Bengal Slave

• Moderating Staff
  • Super Cat
  • My Darling Zak
« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2007, 22:20:20 PM »
Having them neutered costs money. they aren't going to pay out are they?.  The wrong people are having animals.  It's about time something was done about these peope, they make me sick.

A Meow Massages your heart.

Offline Michelle (furbabystar)

• Royal Cat
  • My Baby - Issey
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2007, 14:49:35 PM »
Where will it all end I ask myself.

When people STOP allowing their cats to have kittens - predigee or not !!

Offline Ela

• Royal Cat
WHATEVER IS HAPPENING.
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2007, 13:20:21 PM »
Within the last 4 days I alone have received so many calls to bring in cats (over 100) it is just a nightmare. I have never known anything like in it the 18 yrs or so I have been in rescue. Where will it all end I ask myself.

Link to CatChat