Author Topic: cuddly ginger and white needs a special home - urgent  (Read 4821 times)

Offline claire30

• Adult Cat
  • sweetness itself... sally!
Re: cuddly ginger and white needs a special home - urgent
« Reply #30 on: October 06, 2007, 23:49:32 PM »
hi tumbi

thankyou from the lovely cat for all your trying to do for him, don't let one bad experience put you off helping animals what ever way you can , they need people like you....!
 i take in strays all the time, give them what they need, put them on our found web sites etc, and your ginger beauty is lucky to have been helped by you,

surely someone in Slovenia will want him.....! where are all the good natured people?

i understand your idea about putting him on the street with food if need be and at least you could watch for any deterioration in his condition, as this is the option i would take, unless the condition is transferable to other cats which we know it is, therefor you would be condemning other cats also...
please... take the decision upon your self, not the fosterer and find him a home... or do the right thing for the rest of the cat population, imagine a tiny kitten with a death sentence such as this...., harsh i no but then, we arnt the ones suffering.

At least hes known love and care for the while you've been taking care of him, maybe you could pay someone weekly, like a small wage to care for him.... say you and a few friends.... sponsor him type of....

i hope it all works well for him and you and keep up the good work
love Claire+
« Last Edit: October 06, 2007, 23:52:23 PM by claire30 »

Offline Debbie

• Senior Cat
  • Sam - missing since 29th August 2007 xx
« Reply #29 on: October 06, 2007, 18:50:22 PM »
What a sad situation for this beautiful cat but good on you Tumbi for giving it your best shot  :hug:

Offline Pinkbear (Julie)

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Honorary Cat
  • Where are we supposed to sleep, then?
« Reply #28 on: October 06, 2007, 14:27:54 PM »
Tumbi

I think you'll find that some shelters in the UK are just as bad. One charity here will only spend £60 on a cat before they PTS.  :shify: TBH, I have to agree with certain other posts that given a choice between returning this cat to the street and PTS, I'd pick the latter. FeLV is a horrid illness and this cat's future is dramatically limited, I'm sorry to say.  :'(

And I still don't think you'll get a pet passport for him when he has this disease. I've just been involved in the rehoming of a cat that was not allowed into France because he was diabetic - and that isn't contagious!

I wish you the best of luck and only hope a passing Slovenian sees this and responds to you.  :)

Offline tumbi

• Kitten
« Reply #27 on: October 06, 2007, 14:08:49 PM »
HI!
Well I know my post is kind of weird...
We have some shelters in slovenia, but one shelter does not have quarantine, one shelter is a high kill shelter, two shelters don't even accept cats and two shelters eutahanize diseased animals(gmajnice is among them) - they do neuter cats and release them back for free but if they are diseased, they put them down...
But OK -at least I know we did everything to help him, if he will have to go outside, he will be fed because there are people who fed him every day and they will feed him now...
I know that perhaps it would be better to put him down, but as a said - this is a decision his foster mum has to make.

I will write if he gets a home or not..

Offline Cheesecat

• Honorary Cat
  • Slave to: Cheese, Gerti, Doc and Wizzles
« Reply #26 on: October 04, 2007, 22:55:01 PM »
Just wanted to say big apology from me for jumping the gun... Think I have my guard up way too much its just there are so many scams going around at the moment - especially online.

Sorry for being a big mouthed idiot  :(
Cheese, Gerti, Doc and Kitty Von Bizmark (Wizzles) ^Lucas^(??/97 - 21/11/07)
To think I might not see those eyes, makes it so hard not to cry, and as we say our long goodbyes, I nearly do.

Offline Sam (Fussy_Furball)

• Marketing/Lost&Found/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Foxy (RIP), Zephyr (RIP), Rosina (RIP) & Oliver
« Reply #25 on: October 04, 2007, 21:13:12 PM »
Tumbi ... only just seen this post sorry we may have seemed abrupt with you.

We appreciate you are doing your best for this little kitty .... I'm not sure where you are based in Slovenia but I was wondering if you have tried contacting: 

Zavetišče Gmajnice (animal shelter)

Address: Gmajnice 30, Ljubljana
Phone: +386 (0)1 256 02 79
Fax +386 (0)1 256 59 80
Email: zavetisce@siol.net

They may be able to help you ... of at least be able to put you in contact with another rescue that can help with gorgeous kitty.

I wish you lots of luck in finding him a home.

Sam xx
« Last Edit: October 05, 2007, 15:50:13 PM by Sam (Fussy_Furball) »
In ancient times cats were worshiped as gods; they have not forgotten this.

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
    • AnimalAid - Support Humane Charities
« Reply #24 on: October 04, 2007, 20:30:15 PM »
I agree - but to be fair she was trying to get him a home. To put him back on the street would be cruel and PTS would definately be the kindest thing if nobody will take him. I don't know about the rescue or sanctuary situation in Slovenia  :'(
DO NOT BREED OR BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE

I believe I am not interested to know whether Vivisection produces results that are profitable to the human race or doesn't. To know that the results are profitable to the race would not remove my hostility to it.  Mark Twain

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #23 on: October 04, 2007, 20:27:04 PM »
I read on a site yesterday that a healthy FeLV cat can live 3-5 years
Yes if its in a home receiving good food and vet care. A felv cat put out to fend for itself is not going to have a good time of it. Its not often id think pts was a better option but if no one can keep him i think it would be fairer.

Offline JackSpratt

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #22 on: October 03, 2007, 20:48:43 PM »
Tumbi, I apologise. You have to understand just how many scams people are getting sent to them at the moment. He really is lovely and I wish you luck in finding him a new home. Sadly,  don't know anyone in a position to take him on.

Carrie, Jack,Toby and Parsley ~ Love and miss you all always.x

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
« Reply #21 on: October 03, 2007, 20:13:36 PM »
I really think somebody is trying to help this cat and is being shot down in flames. Really not fair  >:(

I agree its not practical to bring a cat to another country but maybe it was worth a try by somebody who cares.

I read on a site yesterday that a healthy FeLV cat can live 3-5 years.
« Last Edit: October 03, 2007, 20:38:03 PM by Mark »

I believe I am not interested to know whether Vivisection produces results that are profitable to the human race or doesn't. To know that the results are profitable to the race would not remove my hostility to it.  Mark Twain

MBll

« Reply #20 on: October 03, 2007, 20:07:01 PM »
Just a question here......how would you get the cat over here if it was possible,   who would be responisble for making the arrangements, travel, funding etc etc

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Save a life draw/Commercial Assistant/Moderating Staff
  • Royal Cat
« Reply #19 on: October 03, 2007, 19:25:15 PM »
Hi Tumbi

Are you sure you are not getting mixed up with the translation?  FIV+ cats can live a normal life and remain healthy for quite some time but as far as I understand it FeLV+ is quite different and sadly most cats die within a year of diagnosis which is definitely NOT the case with FIV+

Whatever the case I hope Tumbi can find a good home to spend the rest of his life in.

Offline tumbi

• Kitten
« Reply #18 on: October 03, 2007, 19:16:32 PM »
Hi!
It is not my choice of putting him to sleep or not - I am not fostering him myself! I just want to do all that I can to maybe find him a home---I always knew it was a long shot...
So he will probably be back on the street soon, cause his foster mum has 2 healthy cats so she has to keep them separated. On UK pages I often read bout felv+ cats needing homes - so you do have that disease in UK. You don't have rabbies but you already have felv so it is not like importing a new disease...and i did say that he must be an indoor only cat and not live with felv - cats...
He came from a feral colony (he joined that colony after being abandoned by his previous owners) where most cats are felv + - but he doesn't show any signs of the disease, so yes he could live normally for quite some time...That is why he will probably be put back on the street if new owners are not found. He will also have food available. So that is it! He was supposed to be back on the street already but his foster mum is delaying it because he is so sweet...
Ok - so lynch me all you want but I just wanted to help.

Offline Dawn (DiddyDawn)

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #17 on: October 03, 2007, 18:47:51 PM »
I really hope a home can be found for this little guy........he is gorgeous  :Luv:  :Luv:  Isn't there any possibility that the fosterer could keep him?  It would be a shame to put him back out on the streets or to have to put him to sleep, I'm sure someone would love him  :'(

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #16 on: October 03, 2007, 15:15:40 PM »
Seriously if you cant home him then do the decent thing and have him pts. You cant put a felv cat back on the street to die a slow painful death.

How would you pay for him to come here? Cant that money be used to highlight his plight?

Offline tumbi

• Kitten
« Reply #15 on: October 03, 2007, 15:01:57 PM »
slovenia is a eu country so pets can travel true pets scheme - or so I tought

link :  http://www.defra.gov.uk/animalh/quarantine/pets/procedures/support-info/countries.htm

so I am sorry if it seemed to yopu as a scam...Othervise he will just be put back in the street - and I can't stop that! So there are 2 milions slovenians and a lot more english speaking people so I thought he has a better chance of finding a home if I write in english...I am sorry if this is upseting but that is just the way it is...
anyway, he will probably go back to street again cause there is already too many cats in slo. But I just thought that maybe someone will want this guy and that is just his last chance.
We did do everything in slovenia for him to be adopted but slovenia is a small country...

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #14 on: October 03, 2007, 14:47:26 PM »
I have looked at the link and although I cant translate it either, I will draw Wittys attention to it cos she speaks a number of languages and some are the slavic ones so she may be able to help.

I think that site is probably about rescue work in Slovenia and maybe tumbi has found us on google and does not appreciate the dangers or possibilites of a cat with FeLv coming into this country. We have always been much stricter than mainland Europe cos we have alsway had the Channel to protect us.

Even the petpassport scheme had a very rough ride and many countries do not accept it.

I am thinking after seeing the site, this was not a malicious post, just an opportunist one but this site knows so much about cats welfare etc, to us it seems almost scandulous.

I dont think that was the intention and I hope that beautiful ginger finds a nice home in its own country  ;D

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #13 on: October 03, 2007, 14:32:17 PM »
I tried translating too and got nowhere.
I bet all fosterers wish they had such good looking couches  :rofl:

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
« Reply #12 on: October 03, 2007, 14:14:52 PM »
I used an auto translator for the 1st caption

Transmission yourself well behaved scrkljan muc Tumbi Z leucocyte. touch

:Crazy:

Offline Gail Bengal Slave

• Moderating Staff
  • Super Cat
  • My Darling Zak
« Reply #11 on: October 03, 2007, 13:22:28 PM »
Scam or what ever - He is a very beautiful cat, and I pray that he is kept safe bless him.

I really must stop looking at the re-homing section it upsets me something dreadful.  :(

A Meow Massages your heart.

Offline Pinkbear (Julie)

• Honorary Cat
  • Where are we supposed to sleep, then?
« Reply #10 on: October 03, 2007, 12:54:22 PM »
There is no way Customs would allow an FeLV cat into the country. You can't even get a diabetic one in easily.  :shy:

The appeal does look odd...  :shify:

Offline puddypaws

• Hero Cat
  • Mum to Sophie and Oscar
« Reply #9 on: October 03, 2007, 10:05:17 AM »
I wasn't sure whether this was for real or a scam but if it is for real how could you put an already sick cat through a long journey with all the bits that go with it.

Offline Cheesecat

• Honorary Cat
  • Slave to: Cheese, Gerti, Doc and Wizzles
« Reply #8 on: October 03, 2007, 09:44:56 AM »
It does sound a bit like one of these emails that was doing the rounds - of course you will have to pay a one off fee for the cat to be shipped to you should you decide to keep him...

hhhhmmmm  :shify:

edited to say:

There are more pics of him here - I can't find a site that will translate the text though
http://muce.moj-album.com/album/9524342/
« Last Edit: October 03, 2007, 09:55:17 AM by Cheesecat (Dawn) »
Cheese, Gerti, Doc and Kitty Von Bizmark (Wizzles) ^Lucas^(??/97 - 21/11/07)
To think I might not see those eyes, makes it so hard not to cry, and as we say our long goodbyes, I nearly do.

Offline Kittybabe (Ruth)

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Lexy - Queen of all Kittydom
« Reply #7 on: October 03, 2007, 08:47:14 AM »
I would think a cat with FeLV would not be suitable for travel and most certainly would not pass the veterinary checks to cross borders. Apart from that the stress of that long journey would make this cat very ill indeed.

This cat would be better of staying in Slovenia.  I am sure many of our members would be happy to help find local information for you if you vet can't do it for you.

Offline blackcat

• Moderating/Auction Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Home of Smidgen, Sebastian and Billy.
« Reply #6 on: October 03, 2007, 06:24:34 AM »
and what's with the closing line 'please pay it forward'? Pay what, forward to where? What nonsense. If the cat is in Slovenia it should be homed within Slovenia. If it is FIV then is it fair (or even viable) to give it Rabies shots for an unneccessary journey?

Offline JackSpratt

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2007, 23:14:06 PM »
Is it a scam? "Tombi" is gorgeous, but I'm pretty sure you can't just ship cats over from Slovenia!

Carrie, Jack,Toby and Parsley ~ Love and miss you all always.x

Offline Bazsmum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Bazzy Bazilla
    • The Animal Rescue Site
« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2007, 19:39:52 PM »
What a disgrace  >:(

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2007, 18:41:12 PM »
He is in Slovenia at the moment, but he is really friendly cat, and we are hoping that someone will fall in love with him and take him home...Tumbi can be delivered to UK as some of our relatives live there, so that would not be a problem.

Scam.

FeLV cats dont live a normal life for a long time.

Edit: Apologies if im wrong but it reads funny. Cats cant just come and go through countrys. Why not spend the money you have for quarantine fees on some advertising to get him a local home.
« Last Edit: October 02, 2007, 20:03:22 PM by Millys Mum »

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2007, 18:31:37 PM »
He looks gorgeous and is in Slovenia!  ;D

My goodness how would he get here from Slovenia, does he have a pet passport or he would have to go into quarantine for 6 months.

Cant someone in Slovenia give him a lovely home, I reckon he wouldnt like our weather much and Slovenia is such a beautiful country  ;D

Offline tumbi

• Kitten
cuddly ginger and white needs a special home - urgent
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2007, 17:25:44 PM »
He is 5 yrs old, neutered male. Very sweet and likes to cuddle. His owners moved away and left him to fend for himself. That is how, he unfortunately contracted FeLv, so he needs to be an only cat in the house or he can live with other FeLy + cats. This disease is not dangerous to other animals or people and he could live normally for a long time. He would have to be an indoor only cat.
The vet suggested that he be put back on the street, but giving his very friendly nature, the foster mum couldn't do it and she hopes that someone adopts him. His foster mum already has to FeLv - cats, othervise she would keep him.

He is in Slovenia at the moment, but he is really friendly cat, and we are hoping that someone will fall in love with him and take him home...Tumbi can be delivered to UK as some of our relatives live there, so that would not be a problem.

my mail Edited to remove email. Pls see member's profile for address.

Please, pay it forward...

Thanks
« Last Edit: October 03, 2007, 09:47:37 AM by Kittybabe (Ruth) »

Link to CatChat