Author Topic: Foster question  (Read 4668 times)

Offline Ela

• Royal Cat
Re: Foster question
« Reply #26 on: October 22, 2007, 11:21:39 AM »
I once read, on a very-responsible-looking breeder's website that they get calls like "it must be a brown one to go with the sofa" and "how much" as the first question.

We too get calls like that  even down to the colour of the eyes. Once I was so annoyed with a caller in the end I said sweetly that I thought the only way she would get what she wanted was to get a picture of one.
RULES ARE FOR THE OBEDIENCE OF FOOLS AND GUIDENCE OF WISE MEN.

Offline Corporal Smokey

• Cat Rescue
  • Hero Cat
  • Amy, Cpl. Smokey and Lord Chester Red Bear <3
« Reply #25 on: October 22, 2007, 10:45:19 AM »
I once read, on a very-responsible-looking breeder's website that they get calls like "it must be a brown one to go with the sofa" and "how much" as the first question. This particular breeder was saying they vet homes really carefully and don't ever let their cats go to such people. There were some really unbelieveable requests on there, I'll have to see if I can dig out where I read it.

I do think it's nice that some breeders take that amount of care.
Ashfield and Amber Valley Cats Protection and Cat Chat

http://www.catchat.org/ashfield/cgibin/prtoc.cgi
http://www.ashfieldcats.org.uk
http://www.catchat.org/topcats

True love is rescued. Miss you always Josh and Hope xx

Offline Kelly

• Distinguished Cat
  • My first rescues Chas and Dave!!!
« Reply #24 on: October 22, 2007, 09:58:07 AM »
My first foster was almost 10 and I thoroughly expected her to be with me for a long time - she was actually with me a week before she was rehomed. I've had Purrcy for a while now but I took him on knowing he was a long termer. I think I'm ready to get back into it and have a space - just need to get in touch with rescue. Need something to occupy me again
Only The Educated Are Free

www.catactiontrust1977.co.uk

Offline Ela

• Royal Cat
« Reply #23 on: October 22, 2007, 09:05:39 AM »
Out of curiosity.....Out of all the re-homing requirements what are the top say 3 reason's that peeps get turned down?

Turned down indeed, we turn no one down it is just that we don't have the right cats for that particular caller situation. ;)

I would say it is just gut feeling that you know that you would not sleep at night if you placed one of your cats to that particular home and if I would not place one of mine I can't as a fosterer if they would.  I can't explain why as I don't know. Years ago when that gut feeling came along  but we could find no reason why that gut feeling came we used to give the benefit of the doubt. In every case the cats needed to come back into care. so now gut feeling no cat. not from us anyway, sadly they do get a cat from somewhere and you can bet your bottom dollar that at some time we have to take in that cat.

Mind you I can think of one reason, if someone really suitable lived on a main road and wanted a cat as indoor/outdoor then we would not home. I am sometimes told as long as they have a happy life even if cut short that is fine.

Offline Bazsmum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Bazzy Bazilla
    • The Animal Rescue Site
« Reply #22 on: October 22, 2007, 03:42:44 AM »
Out of curiosity.....Out of all the re-homing requirements what are the top say 3 reason's that peeps get turned down?

Offline Bazsmum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Bazzy Bazilla
    • The Animal Rescue Site
« Reply #21 on: October 21, 2007, 17:05:21 PM »

as it far too easy to get a cat/kitten from the local add mags.

Unfortunately

This is what upsets me....most peeps who are turned down for re-homing will get a cat anyway  :(

Offline hOrZa

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #20 on: October 21, 2007, 15:09:05 PM »

as it far too easy to get a cat/kitten from the local add mags.

Unfortunately
Cats are like little bundles of razor blades wrapped in soft fur.

Offline Ela

• Royal Cat
« Reply #19 on: October 21, 2007, 13:09:47 PM »
MM, the problem with that is you dont know how long they will take to find a home. Some of the cats I have taken on thinking they wont take long to find a home have been here for months.

I agree with gifted cats some owners tell us what we want to hear that is it a nice placid cat, when in reality it is a 'they who must be obeyed', but of course when we find out the truth we cannot go back on our word and not take the cat,( not that we would not take it anyway). The longest she who must be obeyed cat I had for 5 yrs before I could home her.
Then of course strays and RTA's we just don't know their temperament until they are in care and we have had time to assess. Also even the cats with the sweetest natures are not always easy to re-home. as it far too easy to get a cat/kitten from the local add mags.

Offline Desley (booktigger)

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Molly, my wonderful babe
  • Slave to: Lucy
« Reply #18 on: October 21, 2007, 12:41:55 PM »
If you are lucky enough to have the spaces, then yes, it can work well at backing people up, I have done a swap with Kelly this year, and taken cats that have been in the rescue a while and not settled, or needed more one on one. I did have a couple of 'breaks' last year, but fortunately didn't have anything in at the time, it can be hard to find an alternative placement for them.
Please spay your cat

Offline Pinkbear (Julie)

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Honorary Cat
  • Where are we supposed to sleep, then?
« Reply #17 on: October 05, 2007, 23:00:07 PM »
I'm not actually an 'official' fosterer. But I still managed to land myself with 5 CP kittens!  :rofl: :rofl: It was my fault though. I went out and caught them all.  :shy:

Surely, if you get on well with the fellow fosterers in the network, you'll all back each other up? Obviously, circumstances arise such as holidays, or certain cats not settling in a certain environment? Our CP often has a swap around. And our Sharon is always understanding when people want a break.

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #16 on: October 02, 2007, 08:05:23 AM »
MM, the problem with that is you dont know how long they will take to find a home. Some of the cats I have taken on thinking they wont take long to find a home have been here for months.
Debbie - I hope one of them is a good option for you, I looked into Paws for Kids, but think I was too far away at the time. I am also a registered fosterer for Cinnamon Trust, there is a lot of info from them, and I have had very few calls, but could just be my area, others would hopefully be different.
Please spay your cat

Offline Debbie

• Senior Cat
  • Sam - missing since 29th August 2007 xx
« Reply #15 on: October 01, 2007, 19:07:05 PM »
Hello again and thanks for the replies. 

I have actually been looking at the Cinnamon Trust website Desley for the reason that it is more likely to be shorter term.  I have also been in touch with Paws for Kids which is for families that need to leave their homes quickly due domestic problems and they put their animals into short term foster homes until their owners find a more permanent home.  I dont want to volunteer at too many places at once, and I will thoroughly read their terms and conditions in the information pack they are sending me.

I will let you know if anything comes of either option.

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #14 on: October 01, 2007, 16:28:53 PM »
You could always foster 'normal' cats who would be shorter term than special needs or feral.

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #13 on: October 01, 2007, 07:51:54 AM »
Good on you for considering fostering Debbie, and good on you for thinking about things first, it isn't something to go into without a lot of consideration. I have been fostering for just over 3 years now, think my numbers are up to about 38 (with more to come as soon as I get back!!). The shortest has been 4 days, but that was purely cos CP then got asked to take in mum and kittens so 'swapped', the longest has been 14 months (and that was very hard, as he had issues that meant my house wasn't the best, but we struggled to find an alternative for him). As the others have said, do make sure that you know where you stand with food, litter and vet costs, the last thing you want is to struggle. You also need to be able to let them go at the end of it, especially if you are thinking of going down teh short term while owners are in hospital route - you might want to contact the Cinnamon Trust in that case, as well as local rescues. You also need to be able to set a certain time away every single day for the cleaning, and human contact aspect, I would say a minimum of an hour and a half a day. Working full time needn't restrict you, I work 9-5 Mon to Fri and still foster, as well as have my own and do other bits for the rescue. Admittedly, it does mean it takes over most of the week, but the rewards are worth it.
Please spay your cat

Offline Beccles

• Distinguished Cat
  • Daphne and Elettra born 18.06.06, Figaro 23.08.07
    • My weblog: Comprehension Dawns
« Reply #12 on: October 01, 2007, 02:18:41 AM »
Just a small warning Debbie and that is to make sure you and whoever you foster for have come to an agrement to know who pays for medical treatment should it be needed

My god yes. And sorry to sound so cynical but get it put in writing - including what they will/won't pay for, any help with food, litter or transport costs, what happens in event of medical emergency and you can't contact them to authorise treatment... a bit of caution now could save all sorts of nasties if the worst happened with a foster.
Spaying and neutering saves lives.
Nobody has a right to own a cat. It's a privilege.

Offline Beccles

• Distinguished Cat
« Reply #11 on: October 01, 2007, 02:16:59 AM »
I thought Ollie was your cat, didnt know he was a foster!

Well, quite!

The vet, local CP lady and I have agreed on the term "palliative care foster" to reflect the fact that he has a home here for the rest of his life... but he was only ever meant to be here for a few days and if the cats protection hadn't VERY kindly agreed to pay his bills (it isn't through them that he's fostered) I'd have had to either give him up or - more likely - have him euthanased months ago.

Ollie is why I'm so cautious about fostering or offering to help with cats now - don't get me wrong, I love him to bits, even the smelly bits - but he's cost me a vast amount of time, money and heartache none of which I agreed to when I went to fetch him out of that vets.

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #10 on: October 01, 2007, 00:05:57 AM »
Just a small warning Debbie and that is to make sure you and whoever you foster for have come to an agrement to know who pays for medical treatment should it be needed  ;D

Good luck if you decide to foster and am sure that it will help some needy cats  ;D

Offline Angiew

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #9 on: September 30, 2007, 21:53:16 PM »
woodgreen animal shelter have launched a fostering scheme for short term hospitalisation (owners that is ).
It might also be worth having a chat with your council - eithe animal welfare or social services - I know our council is alway griping about the cost of placing animals into care in such circumstances.

Offline Sabrina (Auferstehen)

• Super Cat
    • Bywater Paws
« Reply #8 on: September 30, 2007, 21:25:37 PM »
Harley & Quinn will have been with me 4 months come October 15th.

They were feral kittens so I've been working to tame them, and it's going well if a bit slow ;)

Offline Debbie

• Senior Cat
« Reply #7 on: September 30, 2007, 21:22:51 PM »
Ok thanks for the posts so far.  I am considering it but have to weigh up what I would be getting into first. 

As some may know I have a cat that has gone awol since the end of August.  I am not considering another cat permanently as although I have had some pretty convincing news that he has passed on, there is still a grain of hope he has not and so his home is still here for him to return to. 

Currently I am volunteering at a local CP but it seems that once a week is not enough for my kitty cuddle cravings so I was thinking of fostering.  I have been reading that some places do short term fosters if the owner is in hospital or needed to move accomodation quickly etc which might be more suitable for me.  However, I work full time which is another restricting factor I guess... 

Offline Angiew

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #6 on: September 30, 2007, 21:00:57 PM »
shortest time 2 days.
Longest time 6 months.

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2007, 20:15:18 PM »
I thought Ollie was your cat, didnt know he was a foster!

Offline Beccles

• Distinguished Cat
« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2007, 20:10:11 PM »
I've had 4 fosters so far.

Misty I knew was going to be medium-term - her human was sectioned and I knew it was going to be 4-6 weeks before she'd be home again. Turned out to be nearly 9 weeks, so pretty much what I expected.
Heather I knew was short-term; she was a beautiful, healthy young mum just waiting for her spot at the RSPCA rehoming centre to come open.
Ollie I thought was going to be short-term; turned out that I'd been misled (deliberately? Not sure) by the person who arranged for me to go and get him, and then again by the vets I fetched him from. He'll have been here for a year on the 11th.
Benjy only stayed with us while he recuperated from being neutered, I think it was 6 days in the end - his humans just didn't have the space/organisation to make sure that he stayed in while he recovered.

Offline Corporal Smokey

• Cat Rescue
  • Hero Cat
  • Amy, Cpl. Smokey and Lord Chester Red Bear <3
« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2007, 20:08:21 PM »
As with cats at the rescue, it can depend on a number of things, particularly if the cat is "undesireable" for homing. A lot of the cats at our rescue have been there for literally years.

Many foster cats can be ferals that are being tamed, or weak/injured/FIVetc... cats that need rehabilitation/isolation.

Fostering can be very rewarding but also demanding. It tests you when you're cuddling/playing with your own cats whils the foster's cooped up in a spare room, but at the same time you get to see a lovely animal emerge who's better for the time and warmth you can offer.

If you're thinking about it, I'd say go for it! Just be aware of what you're getting yourself into.
Ashfield and Amber Valley Cats Protection and Cat Chat

http://www.catchat.org/ashfield/cgibin/prtoc.cgi
http://www.ashfieldcats.org.uk
http://www.catchat.org/topcats

True love is rescued. Miss you always Josh and Hope xx

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2007, 19:59:54 PM »
I think its the latter unless you are fostering a cat for a short time for a special reason  ;D

Offline Debbie

• Senior Cat
Foster question
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2007, 19:10:11 PM »
How long on average do you have a cat with you when fostering? or is it like asking how long is a piece of string..... :innocent:

Link to CatChat