Author Topic: just wanted to say - well done  (Read 2595 times)

Offline Bazsmum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Bazzy Bazilla
    • The Animal Rescue Site
Re: just wanted to say - well done
« Reply #15 on: September 27, 2007, 23:27:39 PM »
I people with young kids who are urned down will only go to a breeder

That's my point exactly.....maybe why there is alot of back-street breeders now?  :(

Offline blackcat

• Moderating/Auction Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Home of Smidgen, Sebastian and Billy.
« Reply #14 on: September 27, 2007, 21:40:09 PM »
champagne = cream = dilute ginger

Offline Mark

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
    • AnimalAid - Support Humane Charities
« Reply #13 on: September 27, 2007, 21:10:04 PM »
I people with young kids who are urned down will only go to a breeder - we saw an ad in the paper today for "champagne colored" kittens whatver that may be. I said to Sharon she should advertise Ebony kittens going free  :evillaugh:
DO NOT BREED OR BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE

I believe I am not interested to know whether Vivisection produces results that are profitable to the human race or doesn't. To know that the results are profitable to the race would not remove my hostility to it.  Mark Twain

Offline Desley (booktigger)

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Molly, my wonderful babe
  • Slave to: Lucy
« Reply #12 on: September 27, 2007, 20:47:46 PM »
I agree, and am glad I volunteer for a rescue where we do take each case on its merits - ie with Lucy, she is happy, they are happy, but if they had gone to that rescue, they would hve been turned down due to having one kid under 5 - so the 6 year old would have missed out for another 4 years.
Please spay your cat

Offline blackcat

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #11 on: September 27, 2007, 20:44:56 PM »
yes you do sometime wonder about situations like that. More a matter of control than care to my way of thinking. No animal will be happy in a cage any longer than is needed to get it used to having caring humans around. And think of all the animals that could be helped if they only loosened up a bit and looked at the big picture - finding a caring responsible home is more important than ticking boxes to my mind ...

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #10 on: September 27, 2007, 20:34:56 PM »
i agree completely BC, there is a rescue near me who have quite a few blanket rules (kids under 5 being one of them), they can hold 250 cats (and not sure how many dogs, they have odd rules on them too) and are pretty much always full, I think it is the animals who suffer in those cases, they seem to have a lot that have been there a while, and wont use foster homes.
Please spay your cat

Offline blackcat

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #9 on: September 27, 2007, 20:32:53 PM »
there should probably not be blanket policies on anything - each case deserves consideration on its own merits. What is sought is a safe home where kitties will be cared for and loved and where they can obtain adequate veterinary care as required. Aim for outcomes, not rules...

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #8 on: September 27, 2007, 08:18:20 AM »
i dont think their should be blanket policies on kids, and am glad we dont have one.
Please spay your cat

Offline Bazsmum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Bazzy Bazilla
    • The Animal Rescue Site
« Reply #7 on: September 26, 2007, 12:56:20 PM »
Sometimes it makes you wonder if the re-homing policy's should be revised  :Crazy: I think its rediculous all the kitty's in rescues needing home's, then all the ads in the paper's etc for kittens at extortionate prices......why would peeps rather pay usually double or over the adoption fee?

I agree on the homechecking, but do feel some rules should be softened  :)

Well done to all the rescue people/one man bands etc  :ok:

Offline sixfurballs

• Senior Cat
  • Bronte, Dino, Huxley & Heidi
« Reply #6 on: September 26, 2007, 09:51:30 AM »
In my case it kinda annoyed me - my kids are 3 and 1 - I have had my cats for longer than the kids and they have always been so used to each other. The fact that the kids grew up with them means they have learnt about them from as soon as they could take notice and they are great with them. You would have thought that they would take that into account. Anyway, it ended up with me getting Heidi and Huxley who we all adore and who are great company for my 3 year old as unlike my older 2 they love to play with him.

Offline Ela

• Royal Cat
« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2007, 08:18:25 AM »
There are few rescue centres over here for cats and the nearest one to me would not re-home to me as I have 2 toddlers who would apparently (according to the rescue centre) hurt cats - even though they have always been used to them and adore them

That annoys me, I know many rescues have a policy of not homing kittens/cats to under 5's firstly if there is baby by the time it can  walk the kittens may  is no longer a kittens.

A child does not suddenly become good on its 5th birthday. It is not only children that abuse kittens/cats. I think it depends entirely on the parents and the children. Gut feeling tells you if it is right or not.
RULES ARE FOR THE OBEDIENCE OF FOOLS AND GUIDENCE OF WISE MEN.

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2007, 21:17:51 PM »
What a lovely thread, I am glad you managed to find somewhere that would home to you with toddlers, I disagree with that completely, I have just homed a cat to a home where there is a toddler and a 6 year old, both are fine with her, and the eldest is besotted with her, he would have missed out otherwise.
Please spay your cat

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2007, 18:16:50 PM »
I agree , what a lovely post  ;D

I think its great to be getting more peeps from NI on here too cos it helps us understand some of the problems over there when it comes to cats.

I think many of the regional rural areas have problems, with few rescues and loads of unneutered farm cats.

I certainly surport the well done to all the rescues cos they work so hard, and it never stops for them  :hug: :hug: :hug:

Offline Sam (Fussy_Furball)

• Marketing/Lost&Found/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Foxy (RIP), Zephyr (RIP), Rosina (RIP) & Oliver
« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2007, 18:13:07 PM »
What a lovely post fourfurballs ... I totally agree with you about the wonderful work done by so many on here.  You are all fab people who deserve a  big  :hug: and praise every now and again just to let you know we all appreciate you  :blow kiss:
In ancient times cats were worshiped as gods; they have not forgotten this.

Offline sixfurballs

• Senior Cat
  • Bronte, Dino, Huxley & Heidi
just wanted to say - well done
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2007, 14:27:10 PM »
I am new to this forum but have owned cats for just over 5 years now and my hubby grew up with them. I bought one of my cats when I lived in England as the local rescue centre was RSPCA and they would not let us have a cat because we both worked. 1 of my cats came from a farmer I knew who was overrun by kittens. The last 2, which I have had for nearly 3 weeks came from Cats Protection. They only have one branch here in NI and I had to travel 45 minutes each way, each time to visit and get Heidi and Huxley. There are few rescue centres over here for cats and the nearest one to me would not rehome to me as I have 2 toddlers who would apparently (according to the rescue centre) hurt cats - even though they have always been used to them and adore them. I respect that they all have rules and policies and am not having a go about that.

Anyway, what I wanted to say was I have read through quite a few of the threads of those of you who are rescuing and rehoming cats, including ferals, and I just felt that I should say I think you are all doing a fabulous job. I am so glad that there are people out there like you and I know some of you are feeling worn down by it, mainly because of the cruel people out there, but just know that there are more of us who appreciate you and look up to you for what you are doing than those who do not.

GOOD JOB, WELL DONE

Link to CatChat