Author Topic: Potential idea for Purrs FIV Register?  (Read 1958 times)

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
Re: Potential idea for Purrs FIV Register?
« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2007, 23:11:03 PM »
I think this is the right place for this thread  ;D

Offline Ela

• Royal Cat
Re: Potential idea for Purrs FIV Register?
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2007, 21:43:59 PM »
As you may know we have a FIV safe haven. If anyone phones who wants an indoor cat we always advise them about the FIV cats. On our site is a pic if the Safe Haven and a write up:- Chesterfield & District CP have installed a luxury unit for FIV positive cats awaiting a permanent home. The unit can house up to six at a time, and has all they need for a comfortable stay - but nothing beats having their own home, with their own folks and their own fireside. Although, sadly, there is not yet a cure for FIV, many  cats with the virus can live happily and healthily for many years. In fact, we’ve heard of one such feline who is over 20 years old and still absolutely fine. So long as prompt treatment for any health problems is sought, (please see  homing page) We would  like to home our FIV cats to indoor homes, or to somewhere with a safe/enclosed garden. TAKEN FROM AN INTERNET SITE:- Dr Sue Duthie at the University Glasgow, has stated that  recent research has shown that cats infected with FIV can live just as long as uninfected cats .A long-term FIV Monitoring Project was also carried out at Glasgow Veterinary School over a number of years and the results indicated that a higher percentage of FIV negative cats died than FIV positive cats! A fourteen year study by Maureen Hutchison B.Sc, BVMS, MRCVS  found that FIV-positive cats are more likely to die by being killed in road accidents or to be alive and well into their twilight years than they are to die from any FIV related condition. Also, a recent survey by Dr Diane D. Addie (Lecturer in Veterinary Virology, University of Glasgow) where 26 cats were monitored for ten years, found that FIV infection did not affect the cats’ life expectancy.
Being killed in a road accident is a far higher risk for a cat than FIV.
FIV cannot be transmitted to humans or any other animals, and can only be transmitted to other cats through fighting or sexual contact, so all FIV cats must  neutered as indeed are all our cat. FIV positive cats can be the ideal solution for cat lovers living in a flat or house without a garden, also for anyone living near a busy road who is afraid of potential accidents, as they need to be kept indoors and not feeling guilty for having a "house cat" who is not allowed to go outside. FIV infection does not lead to acquired immunodeficiency syndrome in cats as often as human immunodeficiency virus leads to AIDS in people.

When we home FIV cats we we offer to pay for life for any vet treatments that are FIV related, although we find that most people do pay themselves.

RULES ARE FOR THE OBEDIENCE OF FOOLS AND GUIDENCE OF WISE MEN.

Offline Canterbury_cats (Sharon)

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Super Cat
  • Leo(Bridge babe 4/10) & Bella my darling Siamese
    • http://www.canterbury.cats.org.uk
Potential idea for Purrs FIV Register?
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2007, 21:20:14 PM »
Hi all
This is just a thought!
I know that this subject has come up before. But is there any chance that all the people on Purrs that run their own rescue or belong to another organisation can post their policy on FIV rehoming etc.. The idea that perhaps we have some kind of register..

I have just spent another few hours doing a poster for Conker but i think it would be useful if for future instances if we were aware of such organisations.

Its very hard to gather this information via Catchat or even rescue listings...

This posting is probably in the wrong place, but i thought it may be seen more here..

Thank alot
« Last Edit: September 22, 2007, 21:21:48 PM by canterbury_cats »
Cannot save the world, but if everyone does something we can have a jolly good job trying too....

Canterbury & District Cats Protection
http://www.canterbury.cats.org.uk

Please use our VetUK link on the Home Page of our website.
We want your old used inkjets & mobile phones!

Link to CatChat