Author Topic: Financial and Emotional Strain of doing Rescue  (Read 3100 times)

Offline Gail Bengal Slave

• Moderating Staff
  • Super Cat
  • My Darling Zak
Re: Financial and Emotional Strain of doing Rescue
« Reply #13 on: September 23, 2007, 12:38:57 PM »
DD I know this maybe far fetched but. Can't your local council help out, I mean you are doing them a favour really by trapping the ferals.

Some would say you are doing a pest control job. You know that I don't mean it in that way cats are never a pest, they are the most wonderful creatures ever. but others will think that especially the ferals. Also with you doing it you are protecting the cats as well, as you sort their bits out and rehome them, where someone else would just end their little lives, they don't belong to anyone so no one will notice them missing.

Just a thought.

It's dreaful that rescues like you, paws and other here go un-noticed. I know there are horrid people that pretend to have a charity and pocket the money and that destroys things for decent people like you. :hug:

A Meow Massages your heart.

Offline Desley (booktigger)

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Molly, my wonderful babe
  • Slave to: Lucy
« Reply #12 on: September 23, 2007, 11:02:41 AM »
I hope you can find a way of getting your finances in a better situation Dawn, it would be a shame to have to stop. Is there any way you would consider fostering for one of hte local rescues to give you a chance to pay things off?
Please spay your cat

Offline JackSpratt

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #11 on: September 21, 2007, 23:34:45 PM »
Ah, Dawn. It's rubbish that you might have to give up doing something you love; especially when it's to the benefit of so many animals.

:hug:

Carrie, Jack,Toby and Parsley ~ Love and miss you all always.x

Offline Dawn (DiddyDawn)

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #10 on: September 21, 2007, 21:14:46 PM »
Dawn, I just get fed up of people taking the pee.  They are quite happy me sorting their cats out but don't even think of offering fuel money to cover my costs.  I did rehome Katie yesterday to a lovely old lady and did refuse a donation, but I could see that she wasn't well off and Katie will have a fab home with her which is the most important thing.  I'm doing a colony on a golf course at the moment which is a lot of running about and it's not down the road.  I can't expect the guy to make a donation as he's on a Pension and has been feeding the cats the last few years.  The older cats are going back once they've been spayed and neutered but the kittens need taming down and rehoming but they will have to wait until I get some room to put them  :Crazy:  You were a big help taking Lucas as it's allowed me to trap the two younger cats that were there until my friend can take them.  I'm sure things will sort themselves out in the end but I really don't want to have to pack it in for financial reasons. 

Is there any way you could raise the profile of your rescue work and maybe get more of an income from donations?

I really don't have the time at the moment, trapping colonies and home checks take up a lot of my time and running back and to to the vets and also looking after the ones in my care as well  :tired:  I work weekends so I don't even have time to fundraise but if I didn't have my job, I would have to pack in the rescue side of things anyway as I'm in debt as it is.  I'm going to have a serious think over the next few months about what to do, I love doing rescue but the way things are and my rising vet bills, I really can't afford it.  I do have a PayPal account if anyone would like to help, it's catrescueflintshire@wfnuk.adsl24.co.uk and every penny would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks for that Gill, any money raised will be a godsend and will be put to good use  :)

Offline JackSpratt

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #9 on: September 21, 2007, 21:05:56 PM »
I'm hoping I've already sent my photos! Tan....? :scared:

:)

I actually meant does Dawn get much coverage in the way of local free newspapers, that kind of thing, to raise funds? (My Dad started up aid convoys to Bosnia, Croatia and Serbia when I was 17 and has been doing them ever since. He received an MBE for his work and has got himself into debt a couple of times to ensure the trips go ahead, so I know the importance of coverage for fundraisers!)

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #8 on: September 21, 2007, 19:27:58 PM »
Well yes one way you can help Dawn a little this Christmas , is to buy the Purrs diary which will go on sale at end of November. A5 desk diary with loads of pics of babes from Purrs, all profit going to Dawn this year for her needy furbabes.

If you want a picture of your cat in there, on the Bridge or on earth still send a high quality picture to Tan with no more than 5 words to go with it.

The more we sell the more money that will help Dawn  ;D

Offline JackSpratt

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #7 on: September 21, 2007, 16:33:53 PM »
Dawn, you deserve your own thread too! :) You and Teresa do so much work (not that the larger rescues don't, but I should imagine you guys "feel the effects" a little more dealing with things in such a hands on way.) and it most definately should be recognised.

I think both of you are absolute stars. :hug: I hope things get easier for you soon. Is there any way you could raise the profile of your rescue work and maybe get more of an income from donations?

Offline Cheesecat

• Honorary Cat
  • Slave to: Cheese, Gerti, Doc and Wizzles
Re: DiddyDawn work
« Reply #6 on: September 20, 2007, 22:12:44 PM »
 :hug: :hug:
You do a really fab job Dawn, and even if the people who call you to come and take their cats/strays in the area etc dont appreciate that, you can be damn sure that the cats do and of course, us lot on here really appreciate all you do.

I was talking to your OH and I cant believe the amount of stuff you fit into one day - you really are a huge saviour for kitties (as of course, is Teresa, I don't know how you do it but I am glad that you do  :Luv: )

Cheese, Gerti, Doc and Kitty Von Bizmark (Wizzles) ^Lucas^(??/97 - 21/11/07)
To think I might not see those eyes, makes it so hard not to cry, and as we say our long goodbyes, I nearly do.

Offline Christine (Blip)

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Blip
« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2007, 22:08:52 PM »
It's okay, I was only responding to T's thread as I think everyone is in the same boat at the moment.

It just seems to be getting worse, not better  :scared:
I'm a member of the British Humanist Association, the national charity supporting and representing people who seek to live good lives without religious or superstitious beliefs http://www.humanism.org.uk/home

Offline Dawn (DiddyDawn)

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2007, 22:06:21 PM »
It's okay, I was only responding to T's thread as I think everyone is in the same boat at the moment.

Offline Christine (Blip)

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Blip
« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2007, 22:03:04 PM »
PS please rename it!  I was in a clatter
I'm a member of the British Humanist Association, the national charity supporting and representing people who seek to live good lives without religious or superstitious beliefs http://www.humanism.org.uk/home

Offline Christine (Blip)

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Blip
« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2007, 22:02:24 PM »
Dawn, I have split this so as to separate the causes, hope that is OK

C

Offline Dawn (DiddyDawn)

• Honorary Cat
Financial and Emotional Strain of doing Rescue
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2007, 21:52:07 PM »
Some people are unbelievable and I'm sure fate will step in for them somewhere along the way  :censored:  Financially I think all rescues are in the same boat.  I had my vet bill the other day and it was £935, I've managed to pay a little off but it has gone up since then.  People don't realise all the extra money that has to be paid out ie fuel money, wormers and deflea treatments.  I am at the point now I have had a bellyful.  I work part time, I don't have any financial backing apart from a couple of peeps who kindly send me a standing order, and although I'm grateful, it doesn't cover very much.   I have no help whatsoever doing what I do.........my food alone is getting on £80 a week and the endless vet visits is a big drain on me financially and emotionally.  I was out most of yesterday catching ferals from a golf course, I also had cats in the vet being spayed and everyday this week I have have vet visits sorting out spays and neuters.  Somewhere along the line, we have to say enough is enough and sadly I think I'm getting to the point.  I've been out nearly all day today sorting out cats, and literally got in about half hour ago.  I have a family not that people realise, they think I can drop everything and run to their aid.  I know this is your thread T but I know how you feel, I am wondering from day to day how I'm going to pay my vet bills  :tired:  I'm lucky that my vets are great with me but I'm sure soon, they will be asking for money  :scared:
« Last Edit: September 20, 2007, 22:40:52 PM by Dawn (DiddyDawn) »

Link to CatChat