Author Topic: Sometimes I hate my rescue work  (Read 3054 times)

Offline Kittybabe (Ruth)

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Lexy - Queen of all Kittydom
Re: Sometimes I hate my rescue work
« Reply #18 on: September 24, 2007, 10:36:33 AM »
 :hug: So sorry to hear this Lesley. As T says. Keep hanging in there. They have little chance without you and you do a superb job for them. xxx

Offline Teresa Pawcats

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • www.pawsinncatrescue.co.uk
    • Paws Inn Website rehoming page
« Reply #17 on: September 24, 2007, 10:26:01 AM »
Keep positive and hang in there; have pm`d you
Tx

Offline LesleyW

• Super Cat
  • Slave to: Many and varied
« Reply #16 on: September 24, 2007, 09:29:46 AM »
Lost one of Tia's babies last night and now have to go to Vet with another kitty who is now refusing to eat, when will things get better.
Even the smallest feline is a masterpiece (Leonardo da Vinci)

Offline LesleyW

• Super Cat
« Reply #15 on: September 20, 2007, 10:54:42 AM »
Thanks everyone for the support and letting me let off steam.  Couldn't get on to Purrs until now as Tia has also bust my computer by sitting on the keyboard too much,  :rofl:

Kittens did quite well at the Vets.  She thinks it is an infection of some kind, probably something mum has been harbouring as we really have no history of her but it was a really manky house she came from.  The three lethargic ones have now been crated and have a cocktail of medication - Synulox, pro-kolin, lectade as well as panacur for five days  :Crazy:

Two of them already seem to have responded and seem brighter this morning but the smallest is still weak and is a nightmare to get even the lectade into her even in small quantities so it is basically little and often.

My week old ones have the loudest voices I have ever heard and scream the place down at feeding time so they seem to be healthy and although Tarka still has a pooey bum he is such a sweetie and so lively I am hoping he will start to improve soon.  I am going to put him on the same worming regime as the little ones upstairs to be on the safe side.

Have got five over to the Vets tonight for first vaccinations, microchipping and one of them is a cat that was brought to us as a one year old stray but I am sure he/she/it is approx 10 so tonight I will find out and I think that one will have to be felv/fiv tested to be on the safe side, as it is quite skinny and due to it's age. I have two going at the weekend, two going next Wednesday and some more people coming to look at some over the next few days, so hopefully with the numbers reducing the stress will reduce.

I really do have to say no to any more for a while, get the numbers down and get a bit more normality to our lives for a period to give hubby a break.  At the moment he spends all his time at home in the kitchen, the bedroom or the bathroom, all the places the cats do not go as otherwise he gets smothered from the time he sits down.  He likes the cats but the numbers at the moment are just overwhelming for him.  Hopefully, when it quietens down on the work front we can get our double garage converted into a purpose built cat home and then home life will be better and the cats will have a dedicated place of their own.

Once again, thanks for all your support.  :thanks:

Lesley xx

Offline Pinkbear (Julie)

• Honorary Cat
  • Where are we supposed to sleep, then?
« Reply #14 on: September 20, 2007, 09:25:57 AM »
I hope you are feeling better about things today Lesley, even if we can't physically help you, we are all here to rant at and get things out that way.

I'd like to echo that. People swear and rant at me all the time. I'm used to it and it doesn't effect me.  :na na naa na: Give it your, best, Lesley. I'm ready...  :ok: :hi:  :cuddle:

Offline Desley (booktigger)

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Molly, my wonderful babe
  • Slave to: Lucy
« Reply #13 on: September 20, 2007, 08:08:59 AM »
I hope you are feeling better about things today Lesley, even if we can't physically help you, we are all here to rant at and get things out that way.
Please spay your cat

Offline LittleLijah

• Senior Cat
« Reply #12 on: September 19, 2007, 19:50:05 PM »
Any news?

Offline ginge66

• Distinguished Cat
  • Nigel R.I.P, 1989-2007
« Reply #11 on: September 19, 2007, 18:12:00 PM »
To Lesley and everyone else that does rescue work just wanted to say a big thankyou on behalf of all my furballs past and present that have all been rescue cats and brought me enormous joy :thanks:

Offline Pinkbear (Julie)

• Honorary Cat
  • Where are we supposed to sleep, then?
« Reply #10 on: September 19, 2007, 17:09:08 PM »
 :hug: :hug: :hug:

At a time when we thought things would slow down - after the summer hols - we are suddenly getting mullered with cases. We're clogged with a few 'difficult' cases like Conker, but we're still getting kittens. Today we've got another sickly sounding puss that Mark is picking up tonight, and a report of a young mum with kittens in someone's garden.

I think we just have to focus on what we can do, and do it well, rather than spend too much time and energy worrying about the rest. If all the rescues worked as efficiently as they can, these cats will eventually get in somewhere...  :shy:

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #9 on: September 19, 2007, 16:09:32 PM »
I think T will tell you how hard it is and it does seem to be very bad this year.

Yes come and rant at us to relieve the tension and the stress, we have loads of shoulders to cry on and we will help as much as we can. I am sure we all wish we were closer and could help.

Keep up the good work but its OK to be angry sometimes and frustrated   especially when you are tired :hug: :hug:

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #8 on: September 19, 2007, 16:05:18 PM »
 :hug: :hug: the work you do is appreciated by all the homeless and unwanted souls you save.

Offline kelly-joy

• Cat Rescue
  • Hero Cat
« Reply #7 on: September 19, 2007, 15:54:38 PM »
Oh honey I know what its like but all these kittys need you so just remember that and that should make you feel better :hug:

Offline Bazsmum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Bazzy Bazilla
    • The Animal Rescue Site
« Reply #6 on: September 19, 2007, 12:27:42 PM »
Good Luck with the kitties at the vets.....any news yet?  :hug:

Offline Ela

• Royal Cat
« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2007, 11:48:08 AM »
seem to have had nothing but heartache with my babies this year

We to have had so many kittens probs this year more than I have ever known. I have never known so much heartbreak.
RULES ARE FOR THE OBEDIENCE OF FOOLS AND GUIDENCE OF WISE MEN.

Offline clarenmax

• FIV & FELV/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • My Bridge Baby Max, October 2000 - July 2009 xxx
« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2007, 10:59:07 AM »
All I can do is send a big  :hug: and hope that things get a bit less stressful for you soon.

Good luck at the vets later, you do an amazing job, and you're allowed to have off-days, just remember we're all her to try and raise your spirits if you feel down  :hug: :hug:

Make custom Glitter Graphics

Poot, adopted 14th August 2009. I'm sure Maxy sent you to me sweetie xx

Offline JackSpratt

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2007, 10:47:46 AM »
Lesley, I'm so sorry things are being such an uphill struggle with your rescue work. Hope things get easier soon.  :hug:

Carrie, Jack,Toby and Parsley ~ Love and miss you all always.x

Offline Dawn F

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2007, 10:44:28 AM »
Lesley it must be so hard and so frustrating but you do make such a difference to these little lives.  I know its easy for me to say because I'm not getting up in the night to feed kittens but its because of people like you that so many of us have our much loved pets.  I'm not particularly local to you (in Bucks) but if you think I can help pm me.

Offline LesleyW

• Super Cat
Sometimes I hate my rescue work
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2007, 10:38:40 AM »
Tia's babies have been doing really well, five weeks old and growing so well, but over the last 24 hours three of them have become lethargic, not eating and just wanting to sit right by their water bowl all day.  Tia won't let them suckle for more than a few seconds and they are causing me soooooooo much heartache so we are off to the Vet this evening (first appointment I could get).

I seem to have had nothing but heartache with my babies this year and I feel totally knackered (four one week old babes being fed every 2 hours) and useless.  I am petrified of passing anything from one litter to the next, so hygeine precautions everywhere and I am on edge all the time watching all of them for signs of illness, signs of improvements, or signs of anything!!!!!!

Tarka still has a pooey bottom, despite the Lacto B, sensitivity control food, chicken and various other medications, etc.  I have crates in every room and isolation cats stashed everywhere, hubby is totally fed up with cats everywhere and I wonder if it is all worth it.

Sorry, just had to offload some of this before I just crack up.

Will let you know how they get on at the Vets.

Link to CatChat